Fox Sports threaten to withhold $5m from FFA over Western United

Fox Sports threaten to withhold $5m from FFA over Western United

Author
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last point ill make 

Anyone who thinks that billionaire owners are the answer i'd say 'sure' Melbourne City isnt falling over anytime soon BUT clubs dont have Billionaires lining up to buy them in the end of the day if you where a good businessmen you WOULDNT be investing in a HAL club they are proven to be a money pit and the FFA are happy for owners to spend/lose there money whilst they line there pockets with gold. 

I love football but i wouldnt do business with the FFA   

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Gyfox - 22 Feb 2019 4:35 PM
Burztur - 22 Feb 2019 11:42 AM

It's quite interesting that the majority who have been posting on here about what needs to happen with the A-League think that the EPL is the model we should follow.  I don't but I'm one of the few.

I guess it depends on aspects of the EPL model - being P&R which is universal. 

We can't adopt it's revenue model however - we simply don't have the ability to generate the level of TV rights and billionaires.
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

ffs, it was never a fully fledged product to being with.

Go back to your local leagues and come back with something better.

The A-League is a marketing joke. If you want better, try better.

Fuck Gallop off ffs and really put some elbow grease into producing a "football" league. Not this show boating/ show pony / pretty boy bullshit. 

kavorka
kavorka
Amateur
Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)

A part of me says good on Fox Sports, fuck the FFA for trying to stiff people with this bullshit franchise when there were clearly better options out there...Foxtel was clear about this

With ratings falling to record lows, and unless a miracle happens, the next TV deal is going to be half of what it is currently is....

I'm beginning to think the FFA should consider the NBL model, cut out the middle man and have online streaming with direct viewer subscription.

Because the way things are going, they better be planning for it because they are going to get fuck all at the next tv rights negotiations
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

kavorka - 23 Feb 2019 10:59 AM
I'm beginning to think the FFA should consider the NBL model, cut out the middle man and have online streaming with direct viewer subscription.

I was actually thinking the same

If they set up a $7 monthly subscription (which matches Netflix, Anime Lab / Crunchy Roll) etc... then they need ~600k subscriptions to reach $50m, but then you have to minus production costs

Complimentary content such as W League games, state league games etc... can be single camera aside from match of the round to keep costs low

I cant see anybody paying $10 a month or higher just for A League content

kavorka
kavorka
Amateur
Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)

bluebird - 23 Feb 2019 11:11 AM
kavorka - 23 Feb 2019 10:59 AM

Complimentary content such as W League games, state league games etc... can be single camera aside from match of the round to keep costs low

I cant see anybody paying $10 a month or higher just for A League content

I think $10/month would be great value....I'd sign up in a heartbeat

Re the W league, I always thought the ABC could continue to televise those games. It's a real shame SBS is shell of its past when it comes to broadcasting local football, I always thought they would have been perfect for broadcasting weekly NPL games on one of their secondary channels.

Hopefully if the Labour comes in as anticipated, then they will get a much needed funding boost as they and the ABC have been ripped by the Liberals....
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I’d pay $10/month as well.

I’m paying $25/month for Kayo just to watch the HAL.

If the magic number is somewhere between $50-$60m then the maths are pretty simple.

You’d need about $6m to cover costs (that’s $30k/game in a 12 team/33 Round Comp) which might be covered by FTA ($2m), international rights ($2m) and sponsorship/advertising ($2m or $10k/game)

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Waz - 23 Feb 2019 11:36 AM
I’d pay $10/month as well. I’m paying $25/month for Kayo just to watch the HAL. If the magic number is somewhere between $50-$60m then the maths are pretty simple. You’d need about $6m to cover costs (that’s $30k/game in a 12 team/33 Round Comp) which might be covered by FTA ($2m), international rights ($2m) and sponsorship/advertising ($2m or $10k/game)

if we plebs are thinking this ...are FFA doing the same ?
Probably doesn't matter if the clubs are going to control the A-League.
I would like to think the Club owners are simply waiting to get control of the A-league then do exactly this themselves (as I and others mentioned earlier) .

Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

I’d pay $10/month as well. I’m paying $25/month for Kayo just to watch the HAL. If the magic number is somewhere between $50-$60m then the maths are pretty simple. You’d need about $6m to cover costs (that’s $30k/game in a 12 team/33 Round Comp) which might be covered by FTA ($2m), international rights ($2m) and sponsorship/advertising ($2m or $10k/game)

10$ a month! it should be FREE 

you got to think long term no one is watching the HAL atm you need to boost your fan base, club loyalty and interest... 

AFL was mostly FTA for many many years (and the majority of it still is) because it was building a fan base, building interest this takes time. 

Forget about SHORT term money and build a competition that sells out stadiums have good sponsorship if you ask me i'd almost sack 90% of the FFA they are a govern body not a business they shouldnt be making money on football instead Gallop and his gimps are trying to bleed the game dry. 

People bag out the ethnics in the NSL but the white bogans in charge of the FFA are 100 times worse then the NSL ever was because they DONT CARE ABOUT THE FOOTBALL OR THE FANS. 

At least the NSL management knew how to look after those who supported it, they had some passion, no one gives a f*** about GCU and Fury even though they are gone from the League and cost owners millions of dollars the FFA are like 'oh well' f*** football im flying 1st class to some where else.

Dead set the HAL is fukd take out Melbourne Victory and the league would of died after season 3  

Get rid of the salary cap, base wages etc let clubs pay what the want/can afford stop trying to turn the HAL into a profit centre all you are doing is killing football. 

Our FFA are a joke and honestly im sort of on the fence thinking we need to start again f*** the FFA right off and there model 

Fukn star wars round and shit isnt going to save your moronic business practices 

1.2 million Australians play football and you have an average crowd attendance of 13k you add in the families of those registered players and people that arent resisted that just like football you should have averages of 20-30k a game. It is the FFA that is the problem and if the HAL needs to go for it to change im starting to support it because Gallop and his Gimps can f*** off i dont want bogan white c**ts in football anymore. 

Only people that have played the game and have some sort of business training should be sitting in the FFA rooms men or women i dont care just not these white greedy f**ks  taking 1st class flights can f**k off 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Davstar
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Davstar - 23 Feb 2019 11:56 AM

10$ a month! it should be FREE 

you got to think long term no one is watching the HAL atm you need to boost your fan base, club loyalty and interest... 

AFL was mostly FTA for many many years (and the majority of it still is) because it was building a fan base, building interest this takes time. 

Forget about SHORT term money and build a competition that sells out stadiums have good sponsorship if you ask me i'd almost sack 90% of the FFA they are a govern body not a business they shouldnt be making money on football instead Gallop and his gimps are trying to bleed the game dry. 

People bag out the ethnics in the NSL but the white bogans in charge of the FFA are 100 times worse then the NSL ever was because they DONT CARE ABOUT THE FOOTBALL OR THE FANS. 

At least the NSL management knew how to look after those who supported it, they had some passion, no one gives a f*** about GCU and Fury even though they are gone from the League and cost owners millions of dollars the FFA are like 'oh well' f*** football im flying 1st class to some where else.

Dead set the HAL is fukd take out Melbourne Victory and the league would of died after season 3  

Get rid of the salary cap, base wages etc let clubs pay what the want/can afford stop trying to turn the HAL into a profit centre all you are doing is killing football. 

Our FFA are a joke and honestly im sort of on the fence thinking we need to start again f*** the FFA right off and there model 

Fukn star wars round and shit isnt going to save your moronic business practices 

1.2 million Australians play football and you have an average crowd attendance of 13k you add in the families of those registered players and people that arent resisted that just like football you should have averages of 20-30k a game. It is the FFA that is the problem and if the HAL needs to go for it to change im starting to support it because Gallop and his Gimps can f*** off i dont want bogan white c**ts in football anymore. 

Only people that have played the game and have some sort of business training should be sitting in the FFA rooms men or women i dont care just not these white greedy f**ks  taking 1st class flights can f**k off 

yeah......... but how do you really feel ?

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

“Forget about SHORT term money and build a competition that sells out stadiums”

Sure .... if the players will play for free and the stadiums are free to rent
CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

Registered kids under 16 free with a paying GA adult is a no brainer. May as well fill 10,000 seats for free than keep them empty for the same price... 1.8m people played football last year, imagine the demand to take up that offer at each game if you made it first in best dressed or an opt in arrangement each game.
killua
killua
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

So Foxtel said we’ll give you an extra $5mil if the team is in Melbourne, and what they are getting is a team called Western that is playing in Geelong. Are many people from Melbourne going to support Western while they are based in Geelong?

Foxtel is a business so can’t really blame them for trying to avoid paying up when they’re not really getting what they asked for. Ulterior motives may also be involved, but can also be a straightforward issue.
Boca J
Boca J
Hacker
Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)Hacker (433 reputation)

Can anyone really blame FOX for wanting to stem the bleeding and recoup some of their loss when the HAL administrators are absolutey clueless monkees who are running our game into the ground further and further each month......because I can’t
CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Those people saying Fox have maybe made the right business decision are entirely correct. Fox are entitled to do that. Unfortunately, FFA do not do well at business or football!
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Waz - 23 Feb 2019 12:11 PM
“Forget about SHORT term money and build a competition that sells out stadiums”Sure .... if the players will play for free and the stadiums are free to rent

More then half the stadiums are empty dont need to playing games at Stadium of 60k capacity to be seen by 15k fans that might be a start players are over paid in the HAL for the quality they posses but the bigger issue due to such a shit wage structure clubs are WELL UNDERPAID for the good players they sell 

Most of these 3rd/4th div spanish players would be getting maybe 800-1100 AUD a week in there native country and they are better then the average local player here they are making 6-7k a week 

How a player like Matt Simon is on 400k a year is testament to how poorly run our league is and any fans who dont think the HAL is f***d are kidding themselves unless massive change occur FAST 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Davstar
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro

Davstar - 23 Feb 2019 3:17 PM
Waz - 23 Feb 2019 12:11 PM

More then half the stadiums are empty dont need to playing games at Stadium of 60k capacity to be seen by 15k fans that might be a start players are over paid in the HAL for the quality they posses but the bigger issue due to such a shit wage structure clubs are WELL UNDERPAID for the good players they sell 

Most of these 3rd/4th div spanish players would be getting maybe 800-1100 AUD a week in there native country and they are better then the average local player here they are making 6-7k a week 

How a player like Matt Simon is on 400k a year is testament to how poorly run our league is and any fans who dont think the HAL is f***d are kidding themselves unless massive change occur FAST 

Matt Simon on $400,000 ? really ? How do you know that ? Seems way excessive .That is almost marquee money .
Mind you I believe many NPL clubs are paying players some excessive amounts considering many are lucky to have a few hundred people at their games . I have never understood lower grade players getting large sums when they don't generate any cash in return.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

miron mercedes - 23 Feb 2019 3:28 PM

Matt Simon on $400,000 ? really ? How do you know that ? Seems way excessive .That is almost marquee money .
Mind you I believe many NPL clubs are paying players some excessive amounts considering many are lucky to have a few hundred people at their games . I have never understood lower grade players getting large sums when they don't generate any cash in return.

Simon iirc went back to  ccm on a very low wage. . I think dave is using hyperibole 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

I don't understand why Western United don't play out of one of the NPL grounds in the area anyway, invest a bit to upgrade it, that would be so much more preferable a start to life than playing in a regional AFL stadium.

Beaten by Eldar

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Eldar - 23 Feb 2019 5:01 PM
I don't understand why Western United don't play out of one of the NPL grounds in the area anyway, invest a bit to upgrade it, that would be so much more preferable a start to life than playing in a regional AFL stadium.

They cant . The nearest ground is either hoppers crossings ground or truganinas . Both are too small.  
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Sure they pay a decent sum to players in the NPL i'd say some of the better/best players might earn 1-2k a week (if they play) but remember the season is 20ish week long even a grand a week is still only 20k a season hardly large sums of cash sure for small clubs that is a lot of money but there is also players earning 300-400 a game which is around 8-9k a season 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Davstar
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Feb 2019 4:35 PM

Simon iirc went back to  ccm on a very low wage. . I think dave is using hyperibole 

As some point in his career i swear i read he was on 400k but i might be wrong but he isnt worth half that at his peak if you ask me he is bearly a professional football player 

but there is loads of over paid players in the HAL due to the salary cap 

F***n Ricardinho was a marquee! He was on a truck load of money....was absolutely useless 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Davstar
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Davstar - 23 Feb 2019 5:27 PM

As some point in his career i swear i read he was on 400k but i might be wrong but he isnt worth half that at his peak if you ask me he is bearly a professional football player 

F***n Ricardinho was a marquee! He was on a truck load of money....was absolutely useless 

50 goals at a goal every 264 minutes is not too bad.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

Gyfox - 23 Feb 2019 5:46 PM

50 goals at a goal every 264 minutes is not too bad.

This is just according to wiki so i dont know how accurate it is from 2013 - 2018 he made 115 appearances and scored 14 goals..... 

I reckon there are full backs out there with a better record then that bahahaha

Another dud Nicky Carle he was on like 700k i think and was a Championship / league 1 reject

Edited
5 Years Ago by Davstar
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Feb 2019 5:13 PM
Eldar - 23 Feb 2019 5:01 PM

They cant . The nearest ground is either hoppers crossings ground or truganinas . Both are too small.  

I thought Melbourne Knights stadium was in the area?

Beaten by Eldar

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Eldar - 23 Feb 2019 6:07 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Feb 2019 5:13 PM

I thought Melbourne Knights stadium was in the area?

Knights  staidum is no where near  tarneit . Its a 30 to 45 drive from  there. 
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Davstar - 23 Feb 2019 5:53 PM
Gyfox - 23 Feb 2019 5:46 PM

This is just according to wiki so i dont know how accurate it is from 2013 - 2018 he made 115 appearances and scored 14 goals..... 

I reckon there are full backs out there with a better record then that bahahaha

Another dud Nicky Carle he was on like 700k i think and was a Championship / league 1 reject

Goals per game is a silly measure for a player like Simon who has not been a regular starter.  He's played 208 A-League games, 81 of them he has come on as a sub and 46 that he has been subbed off.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Nah ricky was actually on 250 k . He was a marquee to ease the cap pressure we had. 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Feb 2019 6:15 PM
Eldar - 23 Feb 2019 6:07 PM

Knights  staidum is no where near  tarneit . Its a 30 to 45 drive from  there. 

At least it is in Western Melbourne, google tells me it is a 24min drive away.

Beaten by Eldar

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Eldar - 23 Feb 2019 6:31 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Feb 2019 6:15 PM

At least it is in Western Melbourne, google tells me it is a 24min drive away.

Lol google tells me its and hour and 12 minutes to ocean grove.  It ain't.  24 mins is on a good day without traffic . 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search