High quality of this cricket forum

High quality of this cricket forum

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I've been posting on sports forums for 13 years.

Now we've re-established this forum after a nameless person tried to destroy it, this is the best sports forum I've been on by some margin.

Conversely, some posters in Inside Sport Cricket also post on the Inside Sport FTBL forum. It has declined so much in recent times that a plethora of erudite  posters have left in droves to be replaced by many young, infantile and immature trolls, and, some grumpy old men who are rampant cynics seeking conflict.

Whirlpool's Cricket section is okay, but quite impersonal. We've tried to recruit five of their good guys here, but with little success, although two have promised to have a look. 

Whirlpool's Mods stifle discussion by having minimal access to starting new threads ( they constantly close the new threads down claiming others already exist) and stifle discussion by limiting successive posts too. The Mods here create a scenario where discussion can be created much more easily.

To see this forum operating so well compared to the current manifestation of FTBL, is salutary.

I've  already met up with two other IS Cricket posters face to face, even though we live in different states/countries.  It looks like I should be able to get one IS Cricket participant  into Tas Crick Assoc Members to watch some free cricket for a few games. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
cheers I enjoy it myself

much friendlier atmosphere than other forums!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

grazorblade - 7 Aug 2019 2:37 AM
cheers I enjoy it myself

much friendlier atmosphere than other forums!

Not only friendlier, but there are some knowledgeable posters too.

I've learnt  quite a bit about cricket from other posters.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

In another sport where a few of us also post on IS, Aus teams are in a  rebuilding phase, and like cricket, have struggled for recent success.

Whereas in this particular  sport, there are lot  of shallow and immature comments, 'like  sack coach immediately', or, ' he doesn't  inspire me with confidence', as well as personally attacking  people with different opinions,  this forum has debated similar issues in a much more analytical,  constructive and informed manner. People recognise that people hold different positions and agree to disagree.

IS Cricket posters often produce underpinning data to reinforce  the opinions they hold too. I've loved reading other posters' technical analyses of players' strengths and weaknesses, or, the stats in players' careers home and away. These erudite posts influence my own opinions.

I see a lot of live cricket on one Aus ground. I don't view many other live scenarios, apart from Tests played. I enjoy informed  comments from others who have viewed the same players in different scenarios, or different  players I haven't seen.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

Decentric - 8 Aug 2019 10:12 AM
In another sport where a few of us also post on IS, Aus teams are in a  rebuilding phase, and like cricket, have struggled for recent success.

Whereas in this particular  sport, there are lot  of shallow and immature comments, 'like  sack coach immediately', or, ' he doesn't  inspire me with confidence', as well as personally attacking  people with different opinions,  this forum has debated similar issues in a much more analytical,  constructive and informed manner. People recognise that people hold different positions and agree to disagree.

IS Cricket posters often produce underpinning data to reinforce  the opinions they hold too. I've loved reading other posters' technical analyses of players' strengths and weaknesses, or, the stats in players' careers home and away. These erudite posts influence my own opinions.

I see a lot of live cricket on one Aus ground. I don't view many other live scenarios, apart from Tests played. I enjoy informed  comments from others who have viewed the same players in different scenarios, or different  players I haven't seen.

Gday Dc,
jaszyjim - Love this forum & do not participate now in any other.
I enjoy the comments from those that know far more about the game than me
& as you are aware have no problem taking a different view or entering into
a hot debate.
I think it is the knowledge that comes out in the forum & debates can be had
that are just that, a debate & not a personal attack for any one holding
a certain point of view.
Those that love stats, often using these to support their ideas & in the
end we all benefit from a wider range of information.
Really enjoy it from everyone - jj
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

You're a very polite gentleman Decenetric, and a total credit to yourself. I've spent years online with Mike and Baggers, and watched them argue over almost everything. I love reading them go at it. But we all know even when they get heated, they're actually both close online friends with a special bond. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

1. How did you initially discover the forums?

I went searching for Baggers after I had seen him on a rugby league forum. I never addressed him there cos that forum is so awful. We (and Qld Mike) had been on a cricket forum together previous to this and he got locked out. After I knew he would still be around, my search for him brought me here.

2. What’s kept you around?

This is the most polite Aussie forum I have encountered. Whirlpool and the rugbyleague forum were simply toxic as banter and insults went to disgraceful levels. Here the conversation flows impersonally, even if Mike, Baggers and I disagree a lot about selections and strategies. That is how I prefer it. 

3. Any ideas for acquiring new users?

Expand the fan base beyond simply Australia. Bring in England, NZ and SA sporting fans for cricket and rugby, and the first two for rugby league also. As Baggers is aware, I belong to a small group of mostly good minded NZ cricket fans needing a bigger home. But the existing cricket forums are too full of trolls, "established members" who are rude and condescending - whilst always right, and so often everything seems to revolve around India, or the glory days of Australia, for most of their tastes.

This forum does very well with low levels of moderation, but if you grow it, choose your moderators wisely. The point of difference on this forum for the cricket section is manners. And this is quite refreshing. As it is on the NZ cricket section that Baggers and I are on elsewhere. I would strongly encourage that to continue. For example, one person and I started to have a toxic relationship, so I simply suggested we don't talk to one another. We have managed to keep that going for over 6 months now. It spares everyone else from reading any vile. And it spares us from engaging in or with it. Its nice to disagree about sports without endless personal insults thrown about for a change. One person, I so rarely agree with its not funny, but he would be my best forum acquaintance, (that's Wrighty if you're wondering Baggers, you and I agree a lot more than I do with him.) But due to manners, maturity and personal respect, its not an issue. I believe that is how it should be.

I know many excellent sports forum users, from my passion for cricket, that would gladly join here. But the flavour has to be widened to India, NZ and England as well. Simply put, think Global.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Indeed the manners are unusual. It brings the pleasure back. Let's hope we get a strict moderator that keeps it that way
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

grazorblade - 11 Aug 2019 3:25 PM
Indeed the manners are unusual. It brings the pleasure back. Let's hope we get a strict moderator that keeps it that way

Manners are typically next to dead on online social media. I like the fact that they often exist here, and are reciprocated.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 11 Aug 2019 2:49 PM

I went searching for Baggers after I had seen him on a rugby league forum. I never addressed him there cos that forum is so awful. We (and Qld Mike) had been on a cricket forum together previous to this and he got locked out. After I knew he would still be around, my search for him brought me here.

Interesting how you got here, Paddles.

Some of us have been participants of a football ( soccer) forum called 442. They have an Extra Time section. There was a Cricket thread there, that covered every style of cricket.

I posted a topic about Mitchell Johnston in Extra Time. It was immediately deleted by a Moderator, called Funky Monkey. I was infuriated.  He claimed there was a single cricket thread for it.

At the same time I noticed there was a specific cricket thread section here where we could post any number of topics we like. I suggested all the cricket Thread In Extra Time move to  here.  Grazor strongly endorsed it. 

There was a schism. Some desperately wanted to stay posting in they thread. Others moved to here. Now that thread is essentially defunct. Most have moved here, but not all. Some were really annoyed about the suggestion of moving and have boycotted this section.

Unfortunately, one cricket coach, who coaches at rep level has been banned for something he posted in the football forum - 11.MVFC.11. He posted good stuff here.

We struggled for traffic and then thankfully Baggers discovered this forum and started posting regularly. He enticed you and Mike. Jaszy Jim joined, and we had a viable forum. You guys bring a lot interesting cricket content, news, views and opinions.

Some of the old hands  from 442, which is is now FTBL, have joined us. Grazor, Quickflick and Lastbroadcast are former /current payers.

Now we have picked up a few new posters as well. I tried to recruit 5 worthwhile cricket posters from Whirlppool, after discussing it with Baggers, but none have taken up the offer. There are a lot of posters on Whirlpool, but it is pretty impersonal and too restricted by Moderators.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 11 Aug 2019 6:10 PM
grazorblade - 11 Aug 2019 3:25 PM

Manners are typically next to dead on online social media. I like the fact that they often exist here, and are reciprocated.

They've really declined on the football forum where many of us met. It has been operating for 12 years too.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Expand the fan base beyond simply Australia. Bring in England, NZ and SA sporting fans for cricket and rugby, and the first two for rugby league also. As Baggers is aware, I belong to a small group of mostly good minded NZ cricket fans needing a bigger home. But the existing cricket forums are too full of trolls, "established members" who are rude and condescending - whilst always right, and so often everything seems to revolve around India, or the glory days of Australia, for most of their tastes.

I know many excellent sports forum users, from my passion for cricket, that would gladly join here. But the flavour has to be widened to India, NZ and England as well. Simply put, think Global.

I have debated about  bringing guys in from the  Tas Cricket Assoc, but some of us meet up in person. 

The guys I know from the TCA, some who have become good mates, don't use social media much either.

It would be a bit weird talking via forum when we live a few kilometres from each other.  We attend parties, BBQs and drinks sessions together - as well as stay in contact via text.

Whirlpool hasn't resulted in any new recruits - although two said they would have a look.

Baggers enticed me to join Game Planet, but it seems to be NZ focused, given I don't quite have the depth of knowledge NZ cricket to post about  it. It could be good to get a few of those guys here though. Although few have your global knowledge of cricket, Paddles.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 11 Aug 2019 10:56 PM

I have debated about  bringing guys in from the  Tas Cricket Assoc, but some of us meet up in person. 

The guys I know from the TCA, some who have become good mates, don't use social media much either.

It would be a bit weird talking via forum when we live a few kilometres from each other.  We attend parties, BBQs and drinks sessions together - as well as stay in contact via text.

Whirlpool hasn't resulted in any new recruits - although two said they would have a look.

Baggers enticed me to join Game Planet, but it seems to be NZ focused, given I don't quite have the depth of knowledge NZ cricket to post about  it. It could be good to get a few of those guys here though. Although few have your global knowledge of cricket, Paddles.

I like Game Planet a lot. As the users are for the most part very polite, like here. But it is as you rightly say NZ focused right now. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Is game planet a video game forum?
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

grazorblade - 12 Aug 2019 12:30 AM

Is game planet a video game forum?

Originally. There are separate NZ and Aus ones. The NZ one is everything, from current events and news, to particular topics like tech, household appliances to sports. I like the cricket section there a lot. Baggers and I are there as well as here. Decentric joined, but didn't stay long.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Paddles - 12 Aug 2019 12:53 AM
grazorblade - 12 Aug 2019 12:30 AM

Originally. There are separate NZ and Aus ones. The NZ one is everything, from current events and news, to particular topics like tech, household appliances to sports. I like the cricket section there a lot. Baggers and I are there as well as here. Decentric joined, but didn't stay long.

Ah just asking because I love video games. Though I have a particular taste. Turn based and not too violent so I can leave it for long periods of time and then play a few turns
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

This forum does very well with low levels of moderation, but if you grow it, choose your moderators wisely. The point of difference on this forum for the cricket section is manners. And this is quite refreshing. As it is on the NZ cricket section that Baggers and I are on elsewhere. I would strongly encourage that to continue. For example, one person and I started to have a toxic relationship, so I simply suggested we don't talk to one another. We have managed to keep that going for over 6 months now. It spares everyone else from reading any vile. And it spares us from engaging in or with it. Its nice to disagree about sports without endless personal insults thrown about for a change. One person, I so rarely agree with its not funny, but he would be my best forum acquaintance, (that's Wrighty if you're wondering Baggers, you and I agree a lot more than I do with him.) But due to manners, maturity and personal respect, its not an issue. I believe that is how it should be.

There has been quite a lot of quiet moderation in recent times.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 12 Aug 2019 8:17 AM

As long as test fan or whatever his name was stays away, there isn't much need for moderation in the cricket section at the moment.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Decentric - 2 Aug 2019 9:30 AM

Now we've re-established this forum after a nameless person tried to destroy it, this is the best sports forum I've been on by some margin.

Conversely, some posters in Inside Sport Cricket also post on the Inside Sport FTBL forum. It has declined so much in recent times that a plethora of erudite  posters have left in droves to be replaced by many young, infantile and immature trolls, and, some grumpy old men who are rampant cynics seeking conflict.

Whirlpool's Cricket section is okay, but quite impersonal. We've tried to recruit five of their good guys here, but with little success, although two have promised to have a look. 

Whirlpool's Mods stifle discussion by having minimal access to starting new threads ( they constantly close the new threads down claiming others already exist) and stifle discussion by limiting successive posts too. The Mods here create a scenario where discussion can be created much more easily.

To see this forum operating so well compared to the current manifestation of FTBL, is salutary.

I've  already met up with two other IS Cricket posters face to face, even though we live in different states/countries.  It looks like I should be able to get one IS Cricket participant  into Tas Crick Assoc Members to watch some free cricket for a few games. 

Yes this place has character. WP has none.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

I get along with Wrighty, Paddles and a few others over there. Wrighty has not been on lately. Any idea where he is Paddles?
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

2. What’s kept you around?

This is the most polite Aussie forum I have encountered. Whirlpool and the rugbyleague forum were simply toxic as banter and insults went to disgraceful levels. Here the conversation flows impersonally, even if Mike, Baggers and I disagree a lot about selections and strategies. That is how I prefer it. 

Agree Paddles. I'd also like to see other nations on here. After all we Aussies play 9 other Test playing nations and countless others in white ball.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 14 Aug 2019 10:32 AM

I get along with Wrighty, Paddles and a few others over there. Wrighty has not been on lately. Any idea where he is Paddles?

I think he is taking  a sabbatical after the WC loss. I very much expect him to be back tonight for the NZ SL test.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

Well I think think this is terrific, tbh. My knowledge of the game is somewhat limited in comparison, so I don’t feel like I contribute much, but I love cricket, pure and simple and enjoy hearing all the stats and opinions without getting shot down in flames. You have created a community where you can chat about it to your heart’s content. I don’t know many people who like cricket, so this serves a really important service for people like me. Thank you.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

ThingyBob - 9 Sep 2019 11:55 AM

Well I think think this is terrific, tbh. My knowledge of the game is somewhat limited in comparison, so I don’t feel like I contribute much, but I love cricket, pure and simple and enjoy hearing all the stats and opinions without getting shot down in flames. You have created a community where you can chat about it to your heart’s content. I don’t know many people who like cricket, so this serves a really important service for people like me. Thank you.

It has been a team effort.

I don't  know much about cricket compared to Grazor, Paddles, Baggers, Lastbroadcast, Quickflick,  Mike and Jaszy Jim.

They are all current or former players and coaches.

Most friends I have hate cricket!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 14 Aug 2019 1:02 PM
baggygreenmania - 14 Aug 2019 10:32 AM

I think he is taking  a sabbatical after the WC loss. I very much expect him to be back tonight for the NZ SL test.

See if you can drag Wrighty over here, Paddles.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 9 Sep 2019 2:21 PM
Paddles - 14 Aug 2019 1:02 PM

See if you can drag Wrighty over here, Paddles.

He won't budge from where he is at the moment, he quite enjoys GP. GP is the best I have found for NZ cricket discussion. And he really is at the core of it. NZ has no cricket for 2 months give or take, but as soon as the domestic season starts in about 6 weeks or so, Wrighty will be covering it on GP.

He knows I am here with Baggers for my Aussie cricket fix, but he seems content with where he is right now.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Its a very good lil community here. Whirlpool and League Unlimited are toxic and awful. Hence I think why Baggers kept roaming until he found this place.

I in particular really enjoy Mike's stats breakdowns. I don't agree with some of his conclusions at times, but I do really appreciate the time and effort he puts into the research and the analysis.  And he often comes up with better gold than you'd read in the newspapers or some cricket sites.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

Paddles - 9 Sep 2019 5:41 PM

Its a very good lil community here. Whirlpool and League Unlimited are toxic and awful. Hence I think why Baggers kept roaming until he found this place.

I in particular really enjoy Mike's stats breakdowns. I don't agree with some of his conclusions at times, but I do really appreciate the time and effort he puts into the research and the analysis.  And he often comes up with better gold than you'd read in the newspapers or some cricket sites.

Big Cricket was also an...eye opener. I popped my head in and quickly popped it out again.
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Paddles - 9 Sep 2019 5:41 PM

Mike's breakdowns are good. 

He puts together some good statistics to support his views.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Decentric - 9 Sep 2019 2:20 PM

It has been a team effort.

I don't  know much about cricket compared to Grazor, Paddles, Baggers, Lastbroadcast, Quickflick,  Mike and Jaszy Jim.

They are all current or former players and coaches.

Most friends I have hate cricket!

You go all right, Decentric. I think that you appreciate (and continue to learn to appreciate) the nuances of the sport. These things make it so tantalising. Football has not dissimilar nuances, too, in other ways. Unfortunately, cricket's nuances aren't as well understood by the broader community.

PS - I'm sorry I haven't been posting on here more during this Ashes. I've been enthralled by the series. Just struggling to get to watch quite as much of it as I'd like, let alone discuss it online as much as I'd like.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search