Kuwait vs Australia 10.9.19

Kuwait vs Australia 10.9.19

Author
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Can we just put leckie up front and make him a striker

Socceroofan4life
Socceroofan4life
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Honestly? Great game. Played well in the first half and got the job done by half time. In the second half we didn't need to push and our players could rest a bit and still maintain energy. Defensively sound and walked away with the points and a fairly comfortable win away from home.

Really can't ask for much more.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Well done lads. Good job.  
JayEss
JayEss
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Great win.
Tricky away trip first up and we cruised through it. Stoked for Leckie grabbing a brace, and nice to see Mooy finally bag a goal. Was hoping Taggart would get on the scoresheet but he'll get his chances in the near future.

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Socceroofan4life - 11 Sep 2019 8:45 AM
Honestly? Great game. Played well in the first half and got the job done by half time. In the second half we didn't need to push and our players could rest a bit and still maintain energy. Defensively sound and walked away with the points and a fairly comfortable win away from home.

Really can't ask for much more.

nice way to put it but I reckon they looked knackered in the second half.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

StiflersMom - 11 Sep 2019 9:25 AM

I don't know if that was the case OR more so Kuwait lifted as you'd expect being down playing at home AND they put on their 2 best attacking players.
A huge error by their coach regards the first half not starting them but worked for us big time.
TBH they broke us a few times and had it not be for having a quality keeper as we have Ryan who stopped 2 really good chances it might have been whole different 2nd half.......
Not happy that we hardy made their keeper work 2nd half but as some mentioned we bagged the much needed points away thats all that counted and our 1st quali.
Mooy really showed this game what we missed during the AC, Irvine worked great 1st half giving Mooy room to take and distribute.
Mooy shot was superb and that 2nd half long ball for Mabil to run on was peach/perfectly placed and deserved being put away by Mabil.
Am I wrong thinking we looked better than at the AC at this early stage ?

Love Football

Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

jaymz - 11 Sep 2019 7:54 AM

Then we would have a legitimate offensive threat even against European and South American opposition....you know like when we had Timmy up front.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

leckie's 1st goal was lucky but really annoys me how people dismiss it a goal is a goal we should be happy.

i just watched the highlights but looked like we did well onto the next one 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 11 Sep 2019 9:46 AM
leckie's 1st goal was lucky but really annoys me how people dismiss it a goal is a goal we should be happy.

i just watched the highlights but looked like we did well onto the next one 

Yep, how often in the last few years has that sort of chance drifted just wide? Take them when we get them and wish for more :)!
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
LFC. - 11 Sep 2019 9:41 AM

I don't know if that was the case OR more so Kuwait lifted as you'd expect being down playing at home AND they put on their 2 best attacking players.
A huge error by their coach regards the first half not starting them but worked for us big time.
TBH they broke us a few times and had it not be for having a quality keeper as we have Ryan who stopped 2 really good chances it might have been whole different 2nd half.......
Not happy that we hardy made their keeper work 2nd half but as some mentioned we bagged the much needed points away thats all that counted and our 1st quali.
Mooy really showed this game what we missed during the AC, Irvine worked great 1st half giving Mooy room to take and distribute.
Mooy shot was superb and that 2nd half long ball for Mabil to run on was peach/perfectly placed and deserved being put away by Mabil.
Am I wrong thinking we looked better than at the AC at this early stage ?

They look comfortable for sure, but we won't know for sure until the second round IMO
saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)

StiflersMom - 11 Sep 2019 10:49 AM

They look comfortable for sure, but we won't know for sure until the second round IMO

We definitely moved the ball better and as a result created better chances in the final third. 
saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)Amateur (502 reputation)

jaymz - 11 Sep 2019 7:54 AM

If it ain't broke....! Leckie's second goal was a result of the Kuwaiti defence not paying him enough attention. I reckon not having him as the main man up front works well. I'd certainly be giving Taggart another shot as striker, particularly against Nepal at home. We need him to break the shackles and become as prolific as he is for Suwon.  
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

My reading of this match to say other early matches we have played, is  we played to our strengths not to a system, further we continually throughout the match changed formations to suit  the match as it was being played.... Arnold seemed to trust his team to  adjust and organise themselves to the state of the game.

It seems to me Arnold has set the team out with a number of formations depending on the circumstances of the match and has drilled them into them.... At the Mariners this is what he did .. .
JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Happy with that tbh. 
Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

saweston - 11 Sep 2019 11:07 AM

We definitely moved the ball better and as a result created better chances in the final third. 

It is because the midfield was the most balanced it has been for a decade. Mooy, Luongo and Rogic are too similar players. Mr Consistency Jeggo
 was matched perfect with Irvine's physicality and Mooy's brilliance. If Jeggo holds up against better opposition Luongo and Rogic should just be substitutes in the future.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

look agree, your only as good as your last game so, that 1st half we actually beasted them that we don't see too often.....

Midfielder, I hear you and to me this is not a bad strategy for the players themselves should know to adjust as it happens/needed BUT if they don't soon enough then GA or any coach needs to stand up and bark the instructions and get more info out during breaks.
Its only one game and a game we had the upper hand, lets see the return leg and more onwards obviously.

I'm just glad this first game went as it did for these boards are harsh and many not in favour of Arnold imagine what the posts would be like today.
Hoping we can be more positive for its a uphill battle full stop, people expect so much today, we got what we have re the squad that is early days for many, no Euro or better known Gaffa as some wish, we just got plain ol cranky well paid Arnold lol........

Love Football

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

LFC. - 11 Sep 2019 12:07 PM

look agree, your only as good as your last game so, that 1st half we actually beasted them that we don't see too often.....

Midfielder, I hear you and to me this is not a bad strategy for the players themselves should know to adjust as it happens/needed BUT if they don't soon enough then GA or any coach needs to stand up and bark the instructions and get more info out during breaks.
Its only one game and a game we had the upper hand, lets see the return leg and more onwards obvious
ly.

I'm just glad this first game went as it did for these boards are harsh and many not in favour of Arnold imagine what the posts would be like today.
Hoping we can be more positive for its a uphill battle full stop, people expect so much today, we got what we have re the squad that is early days for many, no Euro or better known Gaffa as some wish, we just got plain ol cranky well paid Arnold lol........

My key point apart from the changing formations is this time as I see it,  we played to our strengths not to a system.... Ange the Dutch guy at teh WC, The German & the Dutch guy before him all tried to play a system... Arnold for me anyway seemed to play to the players strength and not try and force on them something they were not use to.
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

lebo_roo - 11 Sep 2019 7:37 AM
There was no way I was going to stay up for the match. This is one of the quietest Socceroos threads in a long time.

I would have stayed up for it if it was on FTA. It’s no good that they’ve put the socceroos behind a paywall. Really annoys me. I’m saving the kayo trial for slightly more interesting games. 
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Footballking55 - 11 Sep 2019 10:09 AM
Melbcityguy - 11 Sep 2019 9:46 AM

Yep, how often in the last few years has that sort of chance drifted just wide? Take them when we get them and wish for more :)!

I was going to say, take away two soft leckie goals and the game could be alot of different,  but in saying that... you've got to be there to put it away, which we haven't been able to do... so if leckie keeps that when can we call him the "Aussie Inzaghi"?
Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan

LFC. - 11 Sep 2019 12:07 PM

Its only one game and a game we had the upper hand, lets see the return leg and more onwards obviously.

For this phase that is as tough as it is going to get. Kuwait in the middle East first game up. Done and dusted now we get to belt the living daylights out of Nepal and Taiwan and well as for Jordan...we have all seen that movie before. They will probably beat us 1-0 in their home game off a counter attack when we lose concentration trying to get through their 9 man defence. It won't matter though as it will be a non event. 
We should be looking towards the future and our goal of getting out of the group stage at the WC and experimenting with that in mind.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Didnt watch the game saw the highlights looked like we got lucky for the 1st but where all over them anyway. 

Credit to GA because it is a harsh place to go and play football. 

How did Borrello go? 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Liked the pass from Taggart to Mooy. Shows he's not just about putting his head down and selfishly trying to look good.

Shows he understands the game more. 

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Thought we finished the stronger side though. Mabil should have made it 4-0 near the end.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

scubaroo - 11 Sep 2019 12:35 PM
Footballking55 - 11 Sep 2019 10:09 AM

I was going to say, take away two soft leckie goals and the game could be alot of different,  but in saying that... you've got to be there to put it away, which we haven't been able to do... so if leckie keeps that when can we call him the "Aussie Inzaghi"?

Not a chance re Inzaghi lol.....
Look his goal off the shin was a fluke, right spot right angle as he stood :) but his 2nd, a good spin around to keep the ball on its course towards goal, normally he would have mis timed that :)  so yer he put them away for a change.
Mooys was text book having a go edge of box hit so sweet.
Mabil should have - instead of going over the top of the keeper kept it down on the ground would have been in.

Love Football

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Ameryn74 - 11 Sep 2019 11:59 AM
saweston - 11 Sep 2019 11:07 AM

It is because the midfield was the most balanced it has been for a decade. Mooy, Luongo and Rogic are too similar players. Mr Consistency Jeggo
 was matched perfect with Irvine's physicality and Mooy's brilliance. If Jeggo holds up against better opposition Luongo and Rogic should just be substitutes in the future.

I actually was about to say the same thing. Amini when he came on for Irvine slotted in well also and like Luongo can cover each of the three positions.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I think we are better without Rogic too. When he is fit again if like to see him used as a super sub.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

A fairly committed performance by the boys. Did anyone really think Kuwait would win? ha ha

Admittedly they had a couple of good shots, but Ryan looked alert.
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
localstar - 11 Sep 2019 2:18 PM
A fairly committed performance by the boys. Did anyone really think Kuwait would win? ha ha

Admittedly they had a couple of good shots, but Ryan looked alert.

Australia did well in the 1st half I just don't understand how they went to sleep in the 2nd half and not concede, something they cant do against Jordan.
Good game and I thought they would lose. 

Wellington Phoenix FC

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Still shaking my noggin at the Kuwaity coach leaving his best forwards on the bench in the first half. Played into our hands. Couple of nice saves by Ryan which added to the end result. All up a good performance, well played to the team. It is good to see our coach actually out thinking the opposition one for a change.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Midfielder - 11 Sep 2019 11:22 AM
My reading of this match to say other early matches we have played, is  we played to our strengths not to a system, further we continually throughout the match changed formations to suit  the match as it was being played.... Arnold seemed to trust his team to  adjust and organise themselves to the state of the game.

It seems to me Arnold has set the team out with a number of formations depending on the circumstances of the match and has drilled them into them.... At the Mariners this is what he did .. .

The other Mariners of old like thing that struck me was the sweeping and distribution by Maty Ryan. The way BHA sit back so much this strength of his has not been so apparent of recent times even when playing for the national team. Having John Crawley as part of the NT set up seems to brought that aspect of his play back.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search