Kuwait vs Australia 10.9.19

Kuwait vs Australia 10.9.19

Author
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
localstar - 11 Sep 2019 2:18 PM
A fairly committed performance by the boys. Did anyone really think Kuwait would win? ha ha

Admittedly they had a couple of good shots, but Ryan looked alert.

Well put it this way regards Kuwait beating us......
This thread is funny to review.
JayEss
WSF - arnie hater
nomates, kiwi as expected despite egg on face many times
Decentric - surprised me

Love Football

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
A fairly committed performance by the boys. Did anyone really think Kuwait would win? ha ha

I was expecting an ugly 0-0 in the heat with plenty of unpunished fouling from Kuwait and even more grass rolling and stretcher action with miracle recoveries, but our early goal put paid to that.

We even scored one from open play, which is an unexpected bonus.
Edited
5 Years Ago by paladisious
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

LFC. - 11 Sep 2019 2:52 PM

JayEss
WSF - arnie hater
Decentric - surprised me

Culleess as usual.  What was surprising about that?

Member since 2008.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

nomates - 11 Sep 2019 2:29 PM

Australia did well in the 1st half I just don't understand how they went to sleep in the 2nd half and not concede, something they cant do against Jordan.
Good game and I thought they would lose. 

IT WAS 38 FUCKEN DEGREES! 
Next time you play in heat like that, remember it.

Edited
5 Years Ago by redcup
mark_000au
mark_000au
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Mabil shouldve scored frm that beautiful ball frm Mooy. Should ve been 4-0
Keeper66
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

mark_000au - 11 Sep 2019 3:49 PM
Mabil shouldve scored frm that beautiful ball frm Mooy. Should ve been 4-0

Agree, a poor finish. Should have slotted it along the ground rather than trying to lob the keeper. He also should have put an earlier shot on target, rather than hit the side netting - even the the keeper would probably have save a shot on target it may have resulted in a second ball for someone. Mabil is still inconsistent, hopefully he will improve as he gets more experience.
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

patjennings - 11 Sep 2019 2:46 PM
Midfielder - 11 Sep 2019 11:22 AM

The other Mariners of old like thing that struck me was the sweeping and distribution by Maty Ryan. The way BHA sit back so much this strength of his has not been so apparent of recent times even when playing for the national team. Having John Crawley as part of the NT set up seems to brought that aspect of his play back.

The new brighton under potter play him as a sweeper keeper in a back 3/5. He had regressed in this departmentblast couple of years as you can imagine but gdtting back to his old self.
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

JayEss
WSF - arnie hater
Decentric - surprised me

I expected a two nill win with people over praising the result against a shit team, I was mostly right except the score.

Edited
5 Years Ago by WSF
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

WSF - 9 Sep 2019 6:42 PM
scott20won - 9 Sep 2019 6:40 PM

Sure Arnie will try and spin it that way, expecting a 2 nill win.

Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Leckies goals record has improved a fair bit in recent years. By end of 2016 his record was 3 in 37 which was worse than kruse at that point.

Its now 11 in 62 which is respectable for an outside winger / sometimes right mid and sometimes wing back 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

yer I saw that 2nd post but past history says you would have been ready for the gifs as mentioned and with plenty to say....
I get we all have our opinions but we have dragged down whoever so many times its time we have more open mind and support.
In the spirit for the forum the more positive look or lets say constructive criticism more may join in.
I'm not out to bait you even though your a wsw supporter :)

Love Football

WSF
WSF
Pro

LFC. - 11 Sep 2019 4:47 PM
yer I saw that 2nd post but past history says you would have been ready for the gifs as mentioned and with plenty to say....
I get we all have our opinions but we have dragged down whoever so many times its time we have more open mind and support.
In the spirit for the forum the more positive look or lets say constructive criticism more may join in.
I'm not out to bait you even though your a wsw supporter :)

I will always be there to rag on Arnie if he fails ;), but he got the job done. 
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Was a solid performance, might aswell be qualified for the next stage after that win. Got the job done early before the heat killed us
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Imagine Mcgree and Mooy in midfield... that’s what we need
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Pasquali - 11 Sep 2019 7:03 PM
Imagine Mcgree and Mooy in midfield... that’s what we need

Would be alright. McGree one for the future. Rogic far better tho, and Arzani we will see when he comes back . Hopefully good

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I watched a replay this morning.

Must say I was thrilled with the result and performance! 

Last time we played Kuwait at this time of the year in extreme heat, it was a disaster!

Harps and Hill stated that Arnie derived great benefit from having a week in Dubai prior to the game to acclimatise and have quite a few training ground sessions.

A few things in attack that bothered me, was Taggart having two excellent goalscoring chances, that he didn't do better with. Also, Irvine had  two decent scoring opportunities that untroubled the keeper. It was good they got into good positions to score from open play, but we have to be more clinical. 

I'm disappointed that we didn't do better with these chances, because the set piece goals resulted from poor defensive marking and  poor defensive   shape. We are  less likely to get them in the future against tougher opposition.

Our inability to score from  open play, apart from Mooy's screamer, is  still a worry.

Even Mooy's screamer, was the product of Taggart being closed down too slowly, before he passed to Mooy to score from outside the box.

In total, Australia's goals all resulted from mistakes from the opposition - not excellent play from us with effective build ups through the midfield  and Proactive goals.

The shape Aus deployed was a 4-2-3-1 in the defensive half of the pitch in Ball Possession .

It evolved to 1-4-3-3 with the defensive midfield triangle in the attacking half in Ball Possession.

The formation evolved to a 4-4-2 flat midfield in Ball Possession Opposition.

Initially, Mooy and Jeggo sat as the DMs, whilst Irvine was the number 10 in the midfield triangle. Later Mooy moved forward to take up the number 10 position, as Amini sat as the DM screener, with Irvine moved further back to partner him in the defensive midfield triangle.

Newcomers Jeggo and Borello did quite well.

Taggart was effective, apart from failing to capitalise on his scoring  chances against a weaker opponent than many we will face in this campaign. His holding the ball up and shielding has improved.

Ryan was great as a shot stopper and a sweeper.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

jaymz - 11 Sep 2019 7:54 AM
Can we just put leckie up front and make him a striker

Leckie has really struggled to score goals in the past. Good to see him score these two from a few metres out.

He has had an extraordinary amount  of bad luck in the past.

He has had so many shots going into top or bottom corners, saved by brilliant fingertip saves from opposition keepers. This hasn't helped his cause when he has also struggled to strike the ball more effectively from other reasonable scoring positions.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Pasquali - 11 Sep 2019 2:21 AM
grazorblade - 11 Sep 2019 2:20 AM

I thought Grant and Sainsbury looked sus tbh

Once the pressure was applied as Jozeak made line up changes, the Aus defence  struggled compared to the first half. 

Often the Kuwaiti midfield ball carriers were closed down too slowly. Hence they were able to take 1 or 2 touches more on the ball, or have more effective body shape, to create better final passes to teammates.

Another instance at a set piece, Irvine allowed the Kuwait attacker to get between himself and the free kick taker and he got a shot at goal from a dangerous position.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Gyfox - 11 Sep 2019 2:22 AM
We are up 3-0 against the side that beat Nepal 7-0.  Looking forward to the game against Nepal in Canberra next month would that make you stay at home because the game won't be much of a contest or would you go to see if someone can beat Archie's record?  :)

It is a World Cup qualifier.

Never underestimate the opposition. 

On a bad night we could miss an extraordinary number of goals for chances created. We have in  the previous WCQ campaign and at the Asian Cup.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Bunch of Hacks - 11 Sep 2019 2:54 AM
Pasquali - 11 Sep 2019 1:56 AM

He looks great. The movement and touches. Looks sharp

Did you  travel up from the UAE  to attend the game live, BOH?

If you did, how did you fare with Kuwaiti border security/immigration?

Taggart looked good on the ball  technically.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Decentric - 11 Sep 2019 11:26 PM
Gyfox - 11 Sep 2019 2:22 AM

It is a World Cup qualifier.

Never underestimate the opposition. 

On a bad night we could miss an extraordinary number of goals for chances created. We have in  the previous WCQ campaign and at the Asian Cup.

Lighten up.  The comment was obviously light hearted.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

LFC. - 11 Sep 2019 9:41 AM
StiflersMom - 11 Sep 2019 9:25 AM

Mooy shot was superb and that 2nd half long ball for Mabil to run on was peach/perfectly placed and deserved being put away by Mabil.

It was amazing, and, so was Mabil's first touch receiving it from such a difficult position to assume effective  body shape.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Midfielder - 11 Sep 2019 11:22 AM
My reading of this match to say other early matches we have played, is  we played to our strengths not to a system, further we continually throughout the match changed formations to suit  the match as it was being played.... Arnold seemed to trust his team to  adjust and organise themselves to the state of the game.

It seems to me Arnold has set the team out with a number of formations depending on the circumstances of the match and has drilled them into them.... At the Mariners this is what he did .. .

Arnie will be much more pragmatic than Ange in away scenarios.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

JayEss
WSF - arnie hater
Decentric - surprised me

I've seen us struggle so much in that heat.

I lived in Kuwait at this time of the year.

I suppose it is better to play at 39 degrees in a dry heat in Kuwait, after sunset, than in tropical Asia at 32 degrees with high humidity and the sun out.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Gyfox - 11 Sep 2019 11:31 PM
Decentric - 11 Sep 2019 11:26 PM

Lighten up.  The comment was obviously light hearted.

LOL!

There has been a tendency for Aussies in general to underestimate many Asian teams in the past.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I was pretty pleased with the style of football and ability to hold shape by the Socceroos.

They held the team shape well in Ball Possession and Ball Possession Opposition.

There appears to be no thread for it, but seeing the Mariners play a Tas State Eleven a few days ago in a practice game, comparatively CCM really struggled to hold their shape in BP and BPO as effectively as the national team.

The Socceroos were so much better at this.

Moreover , the handling speed from the Socceroos seemed  so much quicker, and, they made so few mistakes in possession under the same squeezing intensity   from Kuwait, as the Mariners received from Tasmania.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

City Sam - 11 Sep 2019 7:02 PM
Was a solid performance, might aswell be qualified for the next stage after that win. Got the job done early before the heat killed us

We have also lost to, or at least failed to beat Jordan in two successive WCQs in Amman.

Didn't we struggle to beat Jordan in the 2019 Asian Cup too on neutral territory, or did they beat us at this year's  Asian Cup?

I can't remember!

Having to play games in oppressive heat in tropical Asia or Middle Eastern summers, often dragging our players out of winter, is a tough gig.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

At WCQ level you just to get the job done, there will be always things to work in the performance but ultimately you want to get the 3 points especially at the first stage.

I thought Aaron Mooy was outstanding, it also looked the midfield 3 was quite flexible and useful options in playmaking, forwards runs and breaking down play with no set positions., different from his custom 2 holders.

Taggart always proving he’s a better No.9 option than Juric and MacLaren too.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Of course the opponent was poor too but I hope we realise you just want to go through unscathed at the first stage of qualifiers. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Midfielder - 11 Sep 2019 12:13 PM
LFC. - 11 Sep 2019 12:07 PM

My key point apart from the changing formations is this time as I see it,  we played to our strengths not to a system.... Ange the Dutch guy at teh WC, The German & the Dutch guy before him all tried to play a system... Arnold for me anyway seemed to play to the players strength and not try and force on them something they were not use to.

I didn’t see Arnie change formations, it seems his made his system more flexible especially in midfield, it’s still a 433 on paper but has variations.

So I honestly don’t know what you mean by playing to it’s strengths when his trying to make this team more versatile, how far it goes will see against tougher teams.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search