Kuwait vs Australia 10.9.19

Kuwait vs Australia 10.9.19

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Barca4Life - 12 Sep 2019 12:27 AM
Midfielder - 11 Sep 2019 12:13 PM

I didn’t see Arnie change formations, it seems his made his system more flexible especially in midfield, it’s still a 433 on paper but has variations.

So I honestly don’t know what you mean by playing to it’s strengths when his trying to make this team more versatile, how far it goes will see against tougher teams.

I saw three variations, which are pretty standard practice, Barca.

4-2-3-1 in BP in the defensive half.

1-4-3-3  defensive midfield  triangle in the attacking half in BP.

4-4-2 flat midfield in BPO.
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Midfielder - 11 Sep 2019 11:22 AM
My reading of this match to say other early matches we have played, is  we played to our strengths not to a system, further we continually throughout the match changed formations to suit  the match as it was being played.... Arnold seemed to trust his team to  adjust and organise themselves to the state of the game.

It seems to me Arnold has set the team out with a number of formations depending on the circumstances of the match and has drilled them into them.... At the Mariners this is what he did .. .

Good start by the team and Arnold. He had the team well drilled (like the Mariners of old).  Good start to WCQ.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Irvine is an incredible player for us - really hope he can make the step up to the EPL sooner rather than later. He's a big, strong midfielder with a great engine and incredible in the air.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

mark_000au - 11 Sep 2019 3:49 PM
Mabil shouldve scored frm that beautiful ball frm Mooy. Should ve been 4-0

The main missed opportunities were  two each of Taggart and Irvine in the first half.

From good positions they don't work the keeper hard enough. If we can't convert from those positions in  open play, we won't qualify. 

The pleasing aspect about Taggart though is is his improving  technique on the ball with first touch, dribbling 1v1 in tight spaces, running with the ball , plus shielding and holding the ball up.

His defending from the  front  in team game  plans for squeezing in BPO and Defensive Transitions was also excellent. He forced turn overs in the  half of the pitch.

ATM if Taggart, Maclaren and Giannou can start scoring regular goals at international level, it augurs well for our qualification chances for the next WC.

The worst facet of Taggart's play last night was from 2 good opportunities to strike the ball cleanly, he under performed shooting with his left foot.

One pleasing phenomenon  was the excellent first touch  he made when he was wrong footed, and off balance, as he provided the assist for Mooy to score his rocket.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

walnuts - 12 Sep 2019 9:58 AM
Irvine is an incredible player for us - really hope he can make the step up to the EPL sooner rather than later. He's a big, strong midfielder with a great engine and incredible in the air.

Agree about these qualities, but he is weaker at the ball with his feet in handling speed, and passing and moving in tight spaces.  With the newer  brand of possession football we need players like this in midfield when the Socceroos are in possession.

Sometimes Irvine does not track his man as well as he should in BPO.

I like Irvine's late runs into the box. He  poses a similar scoring threat from these late runs as Cahill did in his earlier days. He is possibly of more value as a number 10, than a number 6 for the Socceroos.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

aok - 12 Sep 2019 9:54 AM
Midfielder - 11 Sep 2019 11:22 AM

Good start by the team and Arnold. He had the team well drilled (like the Mariners of old).  Good start to WCQ.

I'd like to see some of Arnie's detractors laud him for coaching an excellent game plan and selecting the right players in the right positions against Kuwait, where we have really struggled in the heat in the past.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Why was it a disaster last time we played in Kuwait??

We won 4-0 there this time last year.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Much as I like some of the personalities who are pundits on TV, I think we now have an era of superior, much more analytical stakeholders in football   who have played and coached in a new epoch of the game.

I'm really fed up with so much discussion in Australia, including TV pundits, about which club they play for as justification  for their appraisals of players.

Sains is not the player he was, but I'd like to hear pundits discuss technically, and through game sense criteria , where he is struggling compared to the Asian Cup 2015.

The newer generation  of currently unattached professional  players and coaches, like John Aloisi, Kevin Muscat, Phil Moss, Josh Kennedy are far more adept at analysing players' technical  strengths and weaknesses, using the four technical criteria of first touch/handling speed, running with the ball, striking the ball and attacking and defensive 1v1 skills. They have operated in a more technical and tactically sophisticated milieu.

They are also decidedly superior at quickly identifying Socceroo and opposition  game plans.

At one game, Fox had Aloisi and Muscat as the expert analysts.Their analysis was probably better than anything I saw in Europe when  when I was in France observing the last Euro Champs. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

localstar - 12 Sep 2019 10:22 AM

Why was it a disaster last time we played in Kuwait??

We won 4-0 there this time last year.

That was a good result and performance. It was played in the cool months just before the 2019 Asian Cup.

I'm talking about the game in about early September 2007.

Before last night the Kuwait/Socceroo win loss ledger was that both teams had won 5 games apiece in head to head meetings.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Bring on more "tactical and technical" talking heads! zzzzz

I don't really want to listen to Muscat and John Aloisi.

localstar
localstar
Pro

Decentric - 12 Sep 2019 10:28 AM
localstar - 12 Sep 2019 10:22 AM

That was a good result and performance. It was played in the cool months just before the 2019 Asian Cup.

I'm talking about the game in about early September 2007.

Before last night the Kuwait/Socceroo win loss ledger was that both teams had won 5 games apiece in head to head meetings.

It was played on October 15th 2018.

Stop making things up.

We first played in Kuwait in 1977- so I suspect the FFA may have a comprehensive dossier on Kuwait weather conditions by now.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

localstar - 12 Sep 2019 10:40 AM
Decentric - 12 Sep 2019 10:28 AM

It was played on October 15th 2018.

Stop making things up.

We first played in Kuwait in 1977- so I suspect the FFA may have a comprehensive dossier on Kuwait weather conditions by now.

I'm not.

If you research it, the Socceroos, under Arnie, played Kuwait in some of the first few games in Asian Cup qualification in 2007 just after the 2006 WC.

Australia beat Kuwait 2-0 at home, then had the shock of Kuwaiti heat and lost in early September 2007 in Kuwait City.
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

According to twitter, Kuwait have sacked their manager.
localstar
localstar
Pro

Decentric - 12 Sep 2019 10:50 AM
localstar - 12 Sep 2019 10:40 AM

I'm not.

If you research it, the Socceroos, under Arnie, played Kuwait in some of the first few games in Asian Cup qualification in 2007 just after the 2006 WC.

Australia beat Kuwait 2-0 at home, then had the shock of Kuwaiti heat and lost in early September 2007 in Kuwait City.

I'm not disputing the 2006 result. I'm disputing your statement "the last time we played in Kuwait it was a disaster". It wasn't- we won 4-0.

Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

Decentric - 12 Sep 2019 10:07 AM
walnuts - 12 Sep 2019 9:58 AM

Agree about these qualities, but he is weaker at the ball with his feet in handling speed, and passing and moving in tight spaces.  With the newer  brand of possession football we need players like this in midfield when the Socceroos are in possession.

Sometimes Irvine does not track his man as well as he should in BPO.

I like Irvine's late runs into the box. He  poses a similar scoring threat from these late runs as Cahill did in his earlier days. He is possibly of more value as a number 10, than a number 6 for the Socceroos.

Irvine is a more effective number 10 than Rogic.

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

localstar - 12 Sep 2019 11:40 AM

I'm not disputing the 2006 result. I'm disputing your statement "the last time we played in Kuwait it was a disaster". It wasn't- we won 4-0.

not sure if you guys have seen the 11v11 website before but has pretty much every match record for every comp, below is link to AU v KW match history. Suggest you check out the squads used for the AFC matches in 2006, majority or Europe based players didnt participate.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/australia/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Kuwait/

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

sub007 - 12 Sep 2019 11:19 AM
According to twitter, Kuwait have sacked their manager.

Sounds like the beginning of another successful campaign for them.  
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

AJF - 12 Sep 2019 3:40 PM

not sure if you guys have seen the 11v11 website before but has pretty much every match record for every comp, below is link to AU v KW match history. Suggest you check out the squads used for the AFC matches in 2006, majority or Europe based players didnt participate.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/australia/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Kuwait/

Brilliant link.  Cheers.

Member since 2008.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Decentric - 12 Sep 2019 12:05 AM
City Sam - 11 Sep 2019 7:02 PM

We have also lost to, or at least failed to beat Jordan in two successive WCQs in Amman.

Didn't we struggle to beat Jordan in the 2019 Asian Cup too on neutral territory, or did they beat us at this year's  Asian Cup?

I can't remember!

Having to play games in oppressive heat in tropical Asia or Middle Eastern summers, often dragging our players out of winter, is a tough gig.

Ye Jordan beat us at the Asian Cup and i believe the last time we played them in 2015 in Jordan. But either way with Qatar not needing to go past this round, we can lose to Jordan and comfortably qualify to the next stage.

We got a fortunate draw with two minnows and a Kuwait who just got back from a ban and a ruined squad.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

City Sam - 12 Sep 2019 5:12 PM
Decentric - 12 Sep 2019 12:05 AM

Ye Jordan beat us at the Asian Cup and i believe the last time we played them in 2015 in Jordan. But either way with Qatar not needing to go past this round, we can lose to Jordan and comfortably qualify to the next stage.

We got a fortunate draw with two minnows and a Kuwait who just got back from a ban and a ruined squad.

Shit, I just realised that Qatar are playing qualifiers.

Why aren't they automatically qualified? 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 12 Sep 2019 6:33 PM
City Sam - 12 Sep 2019 5:12 PM

Shit, I just realised that Qatar are playing qualifiers.

Why aren't they automatically qualified? 

Because this counts as Asian Cup qualification. All i know how this effects the qualifiers is an extra 2nd placed team will go through to the next round.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

City Sam - 12 Sep 2019 6:38 PM

Because this counts as Asian Cup qualification. All i know how this effects the qualifiers is an extra 2nd placed team will go through to the next round.

Ohh I see. Thanks.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
City Sam - 12 Sep 2019 6:38 PM

Assuming they come first in their group or are one of the top 4 runners up, of course. 

Qatar beating out Oman, Afghanistan, India and Bangladesh for one of those spots is a pretty safe bet though obviously.
Edited
5 Years Ago by paladisious
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

From your manifest pedantry, I'll rephrase it as, ' the last time we played Kuwait in extreme heat in Kuwait City, it was a disaster'.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

“Sept 13 (Reuters) - Kuwait has sacked head coach Romeo Jozak just a year after his appointment following the team’s 3-0 home defeat to Australia in World Cup qualifying.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/soccer-kuwait-coach/soccer-kuwait-fires-coach-jozak-after-home-defeat-to-australia-idUKL3N2640ZF

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

We played well enough for the other team to sack their coach but people will still say Arnie isn’t good enough 😆
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

Aljay - 14 Sep 2019 10:08 PM
We played well enough for the other team to sack their coach but people will still say Arnie isn’t good enough 😆

Probs team selection and tactics as well as results.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Aljay - 14 Sep 2019 10:08 PM

His gamble on choosing not to start their best regarded two attacking players probably had more to do with it.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search