Australia/NZ Test Series.

Australia/NZ Test Series.

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2020 1:21 PM
grazorblade - 13 Jan 2020 6:19 AM

I see Head's average as heavily inflated with his 100 on an absolute belter. His biggest problem.. and this has been intimated by CA.. is his apparent ability to turn a start into a decent score. Check out his woeful conversion rate at First Class level. Nowhere sufficient to warrant a spot in the Top 6. On top of his impetuousness that often leads to a poor get out shot his technique is shoddy. How the hell did he get thru underage and into senior cricket with such a flaw.. and he is far from the only one. 

Head played one of the Shield innings of the last few season  in a Shield fixture at Bellerive. It was chanceless, until he got out. He nearly got South A over the line in a big run chase under incredible pressure.

You had also identified Head's technique having too big a gap in between pat and pad, and, he struggled in England. He may have just established himself as an adequate Test batter in home conditions, but he could be like Usman. A batter who is just good enough in home Tests, but who  struggles away.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2020 2:23 PM
Keyboard Warrior - 12 Jan 2020 11:04 PM

As for your question KW.. does any team need an all rounder. Blokes like CdG are handy with both bat and ball but they are not worthy of a top 6 spot in my view? Only if have the ability to be chosen alone, either for your bowling or alternatively your batting.. then you are not worthy to be termed an all rounder.. just a bits and pieces cricketer. Genuine all rounders are as scarce as a snow storm in Hell. CA has been trying to turn Mitch Marsh into one for years. 

I've been calling  for an all rounder, just to stop fast bowlers breaking down in games. What I've learnt recently is if batters are moved up the order there is more reassure on them to score. Hence, they often become more circumspect and tense - and - play worse.

Surprisingly, Paine   had the 6th highest average on both teams at 38.5 and 7th highest run aggregate.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
flyslip - 12 Jan 2020 12:36 AM
Keyboard Warrior - 11 Jan 2020 8:43 PM

Under the circumstances, yes.

It was his ability to form first innings partnerships with Labushagne that were of importance more so than strike rate, and this is what set the matches up for us. Particularly in the first match, but in all of them he got through the tougher batting conditions and helped wear the kiwi bowlers out, while his partner was scoring. It could have been a different story had Wade/Head/Paine needed to come in early.

Scores of 43, 85, 63 are not bad at all, but more important were the amount of balls he saw off. With all of the matches finishing in 4 days, it doesn't indicate strike rate was a problem anyway.

He has been slow ever since the Ashes, in the shield he scored at around 24 in one match from memory. The kiwis think they have him worked out with long hops, but he was still instrumental in our first innings totals, and anyway he was far worse against Pakistan. He's a bit out of form, but he'll come good again. Even when he's out of form, he's still contributing.

Agree 100% f/s. The commentators were saying Smith "is so out of form" Gotta admit at times I felt the same. Yes he was out of form compared to the super run machine of the past five years.. reducing his form this series to no more than that of a mere mortal. Still every one of his scores impacted on the crushing victory. 
Edited
4 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Decentric - 13 Jan 2020 2:52 PM

I've been calling  for an all rounder, just to stop fast bowlers breaking down in games. What I've learnt recently is if batters are moved up the order there is more reassure on them to score. Hence, they often become more circumspect and tense - and - play worse.

Surprisingly, Paine   had the 6th highest average on both teams at 38.5 and 7th highest run aggregate.

DC that is the reason CA has picked Mitch Marsh all these years.. his value mostly as a spell bowler. I have to say I believe Mitch is better than a mere fifth bowler. It is his spasmodic batting that deters from his all round status and ability to hold down a #6 spot in our Test side, plus has seen him jettisoned from the side several times. If he was to get some steel and therefor consistency into his batting.. he is my #6 every time. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

bumping for you Mike.

You said this Mike so your idea to leave..
that's OK I'm out of here, just like Paddles, I'm not a robotic conformist. Enjoy your back-slapping Stepford site.
PS Enjoy talking to yourself Baggers during the shield games.

Look mate we have been sparring partners and friends.. I hope.. for many years so I dont especially want you to leave here but I do want you to cease mentioning JH in almost every post you make and crapping all over every bloke wearing a Blue cap. It has become tiresome. Your long winded posts are also tiresome. Keep em short.
Paddles is the one that is arrogant, belittling and divisive. KW has added childish and conflicting. Most of the posters here agree with me and I believe.. want him to go. Only the owner can ban him. So far no one has reported him.. 
Mike are you really on WP?

Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

KW and DC have also asked you to stay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toky3I9RKXE

Mike one ball for mine was not legit.. the hat trick ball. The other two were fine. I am saying that any ball that pitches a half metre outside leg forcing the batsmen to do what he has to do to avoid it hitting his body needs to be banned from the game. That is Bodyline.
Edited
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

MikeR - 13 Jan 2020 10:38 AM
baggygreenmania - 12 Jan 2020 2:50 PM

What Hint? 

Keyboard I am sorry mate but my previous posts were solely to prove a point about what constitutes a troll and I gave plenty of forewarning that was my intention in my first "return"post. A Troll isn't necessarily someone who disagrees with what is said, if they can put up substantiated arguments. Not every one has to agree with a point and this site is equally as guilty as others sites of "ganging up" on those with varying ideas, however members on this site complained and referred to other sites as full of trolls just because they disagree. This I pointed out to DC in a previous post, which he has locked now, which got Paddles worked up, who even started a thread to complain and it was "moderated", talk about deliberate provocation, but hey I'm not the moderator. Maybe it's just me but It seems that anyone that disagrees with a couple of posters not just on this site but on multiple sites, are the trolls, there seems to be a massive number of trolls worldwide, Some even threaten removal of posters from the particular forum sites, not just here, who made them king of the castle? What is the attraction of these posters that they are constantly attacked by trolls on numerous sites? Not my place to answer those questions, but maybe those posters should look at themselves, "He who is without sin may cast the first stone" and everything that entails.

Guys you have to remember that this is a "public forum", not a chat room, you will meet all types of people with varying points of views, that is the idea of a public forum, because you never know there are people out there who read these forums to gauge public opinions of a current topic and report on that. Unfortunately opinions do bring out the emotive side it happens, but one thing is you'll never get under my skin because I just don't care, but I was interested in your opinions but can you substantiate. Paddles can, that is why I do respect his opinions, not necessarily agree but do respect.

This site had potential, you have Grazor an ex cricketer, DC a member of the TCC an ex teacher who probably coached at school, Baggers an ex-journalist, Paddles a keen follower of international cricket, and a passionate NZ cricket follower (an ex-lawyer? that's the impression I've gained) Flyslip who is very educated towards Australian cricket, Haven't got a read on City Sam I will admit. Keyboard who is a keen cricket follower but admits he is still learning and is very eager to read posts with an open mind, Bobbie a female perspective, quite a broad spectrum wouldn't you say? 

Let me ask you this where is your T20 Big Bash Thread? Don't care? It's on every other Australian cricket forum sites. A bit of an archaic view of cricket isn't it. So if I was to pose a question "How can we move test cricket forward to compete with the attraction of T20?" You really wouldn't know. Your ideas towards test cricket are also archaic and is part of the reason why test cricket is dying, technique, line and length bowling, very boring, very 1930's. What was the appeal of the West Indies, Lillee, Thompson, Hadlee as the villain, how does test cricket get that passion back? yet you complain about Wagner. Go figure!

So if you are all these die-hard cricket tragics (remember CT Baggers), like you suggest you are, put up some counter-arguments to Paddles, but you also don't have to be totally agreeable with the hierarchy on this site because of fear of being kicked out. It's a public forum, not a chat room. And with VPN and access to multiple e-mail addresses some of us are extremely difficult to remove, it is solely my decision whether to participate or not, I don't need a Hint. 

Guys do yourselves a favour and discuss current relevant topics with a broad and open mind, including you Paddles, and you may be surprised that you may gather other very knowledgeable participants, and there are many out there. You don't have to approach other posters on other sites because all you're doing is gathering, like-minded people, which makes the site contaminated and it becomes irrelevant to the general populous opinion. This is NOT your personal site however your personal opinions do matter as do others. Inside Sport do post threads on a regular basis, for feedback, but I would say all of you don't respond and that is the beauty of Inside Sport forums unfortunately it isn't being utilised properly. 

TCA not TCC!

Through the Tas Cricket Association we have opportunities to meet and  discuss issues with FC cricketers, even if like me, I've only played junior and teenage school cricket - badly. We certainly pick up ideas and knowledge from experts through being members of the TCA.

Your post indicates an element of good will and humility, Mike.

Fair play to you.

There was a thread set up to encourage posters to discuss a topic, agree/ possibly disagree, but move on.  Not resort to slanging matches.  

In any forum if people keep derailing threads, or resort to personal attacks, or deliberately goad others, threads are liable to be locked and sometimes posts can  be deleted, regardless of who transgresses.

Previously, apart from the JH issue, your banter with Baggers manifested as friendly banter. It appeared good natured. It hasn't been perceived the  same this time - more a continuation  of what has occurred elsewhere, that  is immaterial to IS.   

On this forum it is not a  question of having to agree with any particular posters, but hopefully participate with a degree of respect. To date it has created considerable camaraderie. A number have met up off forum, or tried to.   Conversely, Whirlpool Cricket has a culture of packs attacking  individuals who don't agree with an established clique over a few issues. It is decidedly different on the Whirlpool Weight Training thread. The IS Cricket paradigm is preferable to Whirl Cricket.

Within the TCA there are those who love 20/20 and those who abhor it. I'm in the latter  camp, but most cricket  fans seem to love 20/20 or prefer it. We probably need to recruit more 20/20 fans to IS, as you suggest.  
Edited
4 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2020 3:20 PM

DC that is the reason CA has picked Mitch Marsh all these years.. his value mostly as a spell bowler. I have to say I believe Mitch is better than a mere fifth bowler. It is his spasmodic batting that deters from his all round status and ability to hold down a #6 spot in our Test side, plus has seen him jettisoned from the side several times. If he was to get some steel and therefor consistency into his batting.. he is my #6 every time. 

I feel   sorry for  Mitch M. He thinks he is the most hated cricketer in Australia ATM - according  to a  Shield cricketing parent who knows him  well. 

When fit I think  Marsh's bowling has been a real asset for Australia, even if he hasn't batted well enough. It is possibly all an issue with his big frame not being able to get through a decent workload.

With Wade's  current  struggle, there is still an argument for  Marsh to bat 6 or 7, with Paine or him occupying 6. I haven't look up  Marsh's current Test average, but Paine's average is still 32 after 31 or so Tests.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Decentric - 13 Jan 2020 5:11 PM

I feel   sorry for  Mitch M. He thinks he is the most hated cricketer in Australia ATM - according  to a  Shield cricketing parent who knows him  well. 

When fit I think  Marsh's bowling has been a real asset for Australia, even if he hasn't batted well enough. It is possibly all an issue with his big frame not being able to get through a decent workload.

With Wade's  current  struggle, there is still an argument for  Marsh to bat 6 or 7, with Paine or him occupying 6. I haven't look up  Marsh's current Test average, but Paine's average is still 32 after 31 or so Tests.

I looked it up and Marsh's  Test batting average is 25 after 32 Tests. It isn't good enough, but his bowling has been fine.

According to Ian,  former Tas VC and state selector, his footwork is not nimble enough.

It seems as though Stoinis or/and Green should  move  to another state.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 13 Jan 2020 5:15 PM

I looked it up and Marsh's  Test batting average is 25 after 32 Tests. It isn't good enough, but his bowling has been fine.

According to Ian,  former Tas VC and state selector, his footwork is not nimble enough.

It seems as though Stoinis or/and Green should  move  to another state.

which Green DC?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

bumping for you Mike.
 I guess we gave you the hint.
that's OK I'm out of here, just like Paddles, I'm not a robotic conformist. Enjoy your back-slapping Stepford site.
PS Enjoy talking to yourself Baggers during the shield games.

Look mate we have been sparring partners and friends.. I hope.. for many years so I dont especially want you to leave here but I do want you to cease mentioning JH in almost every post you make and crapping all over every bloke wearing a Blue cap. It has become tiresome. Your long winded posts are also tiresome. Keep em short.

Mike are you really on WP?

Edited
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2020 5:24 PM
Decentric - 13 Jan 2020 5:15 PM

which Green DC?

The name might  not be Green.

My wife pointed to an article in the paper a month ago about a young WA all rounder, who is very tall, can bowl 140kph, and has batted well recently in the Shield. I'd never heard of him.

He is currently  injured and can't bowl, but has been able to bat.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

I don't think it is needed to bring an all rounder in. We have a lot of pace options, play them hard a test and rotate Pattinson in one game and so on. Ultimately i don't think wickets are the problem with this team, only India may have a better bowling attack than ours. Pick the best batsmen at 6 and if they are an all rounder then even better.
flyslip
flyslip
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)

Feel sorry for him too, he seems like a nice young fella. Not sure why anyone would dislike him personally over cricket. He does his best and he doesn't pick himself after all.

Can understand what the selectors were trying to do though, and why they persisted. After 25 matches he had figures very similar to Steve Waugh.

Marsh 1096 runs @ 30 and 30 wkts @ 41.
Waugh 1079 runs @ 32 and 40 wkts @ 38.

Though after 32 matches Marsh is now averaging 25 with the bat (and 39 with the ball) which isn't good enough to keep a place in the top 6 despite his bowling being "useful" at times. Whereas Waugh's batting started improving from this point and he ended up one of our finest batsmen. 

At a certain point you have to call it quits, doubt we'll see him play regularly for Aus in test matches again (probably will in odi's though). Unless he really starts scoring a mountain of runs in domestic cricket.

Paine is a good no.7 and a very good keeper. Would be doing him no favours putting him in the top 6. Apart from not being a good enough batsman, that's a lot to ask for someone who keeps wicket and is also Captain. Any top 6 batsman needs to average more than that and be capable of scoring 100's. Paine is probably far better contributing down the order when he can. If it ain't broke...
Edited
4 Years Ago by flyslip
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2020 3:27 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toky3I9RKXE

Mike one ball for mine was not legit.. the hat trick ball. The other two were fine. I am saying that any ball that pitches a half metre outside leg forcing the batsmen to do what he has to do to avoid it hitting his body needs to be banned from the game. That is Bodyline.

Baggers they're all legit deliveries. If the bowling side see a perceived weakness they are entitled to bowl to that line. It worked against Smith, everything was reduced against his overall performances, the only reason it seemed persistent was Smith was out there for so long . NZ problem is they thought all batsmen had the same problem. Labuchagne proved them wrong, yorker at the stumps would be the line I would have tried against him.  Pattinson, Conway and Stoinis got him that way in the shield games and very cheaply if I remember correctly. Tall Qld batter bought up on bouncy Qld wickets, bouncers aren't going to get him. NZ never really tried to do that to Labuchagne. You know there is another way of avoiding and forcing a change of line, put it into the boundary rope, there are shots to do that, watch T20, Just saw Stoinis score 140+ the other night doing just that.

Actually if you do think about it the modern day batsman is actually moving into that particular line for maximum power in the shot, the leg side shot is the big power shot. I think Lynn summed it up best, the secret is keeping the head still, keeping your eye on the ball. He makes a good point, and Smith is moving too much in the crease when you do think about it.
Edited
4 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 14 Jan 2020 7:37 AM
baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2020 3:27 PM

Baggers they're all legit deliveries. If the bowling side see a perceived weakness they are entitled to bowl to that line. It worked against Smith, everything was reduced against his overall performances, the only reason it seemed persistent was Smith was out there for so long . NZ problem is they thought all batsmen had the same problem. Labuchagne proved them wrong, yorker at the stumps would be the line I would have tried against him.  Pattinson, Conway and Stoinis got him that way in the shield games and very cheaply if I remember correctly. Tall Qld batter bought up on bouncy Qld wickets, bouncers aren't going to get him. NZ never really tried to do that to Labuchagne. You know there is another way of avoiding and forcing a change of line, put it into the boundary rope, there are shots to do that, watch T20, Just saw Stoinis score 140+ the other night doing just that.

Actually if you do think about it the modern day batsman is actually moving into that particular line for maximum power in the shot, the leg side shot is the big power shot. I think Lynn summed it up best, the secret is keeping the head still, keeping your eye on the ball. He makes a good point, and Smith is moving too much in the crease when you do think about it.

Mike you will never convince me that a ball pitched a even a half metre outside leg.. and some of Wagner's were a full metre.. should be a legit delivery. Even tho we all know it is. That is my point it needs to be no balled or wided and eventually blokes will stop bowling there.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Sorry as accurate as Steve Waugh was I dont rate him anywhere near the standard of Mitch Marsh. Their records are similar because Marsh only gets to bowl to players well set and when the ball is soft. Naturally his figures will be mediocre. But I have always maintained he has the ability to bowl for longer spells and a newer ball. But most captains bring him on as mostly second..even third change..on CA's orders it must be said.. There have been occasions when Mitch has had the chance to bowl earlier in the innings and his figures have reflected that. I recall he took a fivefer on one such occasion. He is also one of the best swing bowlers in the country according to an article I read... a new art he appears to have acquired while out of Test cricket.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 13 Jan 2020 5:37 PM
baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2020 5:24 PM

The name might  not be Green.

My wife pointed to an article in the paper a month ago about a young WA all rounder, who is very tall, can bowl 140kph, and has batted well recently in the Shield. I'd never heard of him.

He is currently  injured and can't bowl, but has been able to bat.

Cameron Green. A huge prospect. Why does he need to leave WA in your view?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 14 Jan 2020 2:06 PM
Decentric - 13 Jan 2020 5:37 PM

Cameron Green. A huge prospect. Why does he need to leave WA in your view?

DC these posts really need to be in the general discussion thread. Maybe an idea if you find the time to move them there..the pertinent ones anyway
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 13 Jan 2020 4:46 PM
MikeR - 13 Jan 2020 10:38 AM

TCA not TCC!

Through the Tas Cricket Association we have opportunities to meet and  discuss issues with FC cricketers, even if like me, I've only played junior and teenage school cricket - badly. We certainly pick up ideas and knowledge from experts through being members of the TCA.

Your post indicates an element of good will and humility, Mike.

Fair play to you.

There was a thread set up to encourage posters to discuss a topic, agree/ possibly disagree, but move on.  Not resort to slanging matches.  

In any forum if people keep derailing threads, or resort to personal attacks, or deliberately goad others, threads are liable to be locked and sometimes posts can  be deleted, regardless of who transgresses.

Previously, apart from the JH issue, your banter with Baggers manifested as friendly banter. It appeared good natured. It hasn't been perceived the  same this time - more a continuation  of what has occurred elsewhere, that  is immaterial to IS.   

On this forum it is not a  question of having to agree with any particular posters, but hopefully participate with a degree of respect. To date it has created considerable camaraderie. A number have met up off forum, or tried to.   Conversely, Whirlpool Cricket has a culture of packs attacking  individuals who don't agree with an established clique over a few issues. It is decidedly different on the Whirlpool Weight Training thread. The IS Cricket paradigm is preferable to Whirl Cricket.

Within the TCA there are those who love 20/20 and those who abhor it. I'm in the latter  camp, but most cricket  fans seem to love 20/20 or prefer it. We probably need to recruit more 20/20 fans to IS, as you suggest.  

Start a T20 thread DC or Mike. After all there are two T20 International World Cups this year.. both being hosted by us. I was going to ask you DC whether you have been going to Bellerive to watch the Hurricanes.. I guess not. I did catch some of last nite's game.. did bring back fond memories of my week there.
flyslip
flyslip
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 14 Jan 2020 2:04 PM

Sorry as accurate as Steve Waugh was I dont rate him anywhere near the standard of Mitch Marsh. Their records are similar because Marsh only gets to bowl to players well set and when the ball is soft. Naturally his figures will be mediocre. But I have always maintained he has the ability to bowl for longer spells and a newer ball. But most captains bring him on as mostly second..even third change..on CA's orders it must be said.. There have been occasions when Mitch has had the chance to bowl earlier in the innings and his figures have reflected that. I recall he took a fivefer on one such occasion. He is also one of the best swing bowlers in the country according to an article I read... a new art he appears to have acquired while out of Test cricket.

Their records aren't similar at all. They are the very opposite of similar lol. They were similar after 25 matches, but Waugh has far better career figures in every possible way.

Bowling is somewhat irrelevant though if you're batting in the top six. To do that you need to be able to hold the possie as a batsman, which he can't and which Waugh started to do, steadily improving his batting after around 25 matches.

No doubt he is potentially a better bowler than Waugh was. He's a reasonable 5th bowler but he's never going to get in the team just for his bowling. I don't remember Waugh getting the new ball either, especially later in his career as genuine a part timer.

The only place Marsh's bowling has seemed threatening is in England, for obvious reasons. He's another trundler anywhere else, not terribly threatening nor economical. A big problem for him is that he isn't great in Aus either. Shane Watson was a far better 5th bowler type of batting allrounder.

He should focus on one or the other if he wishes to be a regular in the test team, at the moment he is a "no rounder". Concentrate on either bowling, or batting, instead of being mediocre at both.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 14 Jan 2020 2:18 PM
Decentric - 13 Jan 2020 4:46 PM

Start a T20 thread DC or Mike. After all there are two T20 International World Cups this year.. both being hosted by us. I was going to ask you DC whether you have been going to Bellerive to watch the Hurricanes.. I guess not. I did catch some of last nite's game.. did bring back fond memories of my week there.

DC the U19 WC is also about to be played in SAfrica. Shall we post in the Junior Cricket thread or create a U19 WC thread?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

flyslip - 14 Jan 2020 2:53 PM

Their records aren't similar at all. They are the very opposite of similar lol. They were similar after 25 matches, but Waugh has far better career figures in every possible way.

Bowling is somewhat irrelevant though if you're batting in the top six. To do that you need to be able to hold the possie as a batsman, which he can't and which Waugh started to do, steadily improving his batting after around 25 matches.

No doubt he is potentially a better bowler than Waugh was. He's a reasonable 5th bowler but he's never going to get in the team just for his bowling. I don't remember Waugh getting the new ball either, especially later in his career as genuine a part timer.

The only place Marsh's bowling has seemed threatening is in England, for obvious reasons. He's another trundler anywhere else, not terribly threatening nor economical. A big problem for him is that he isn't great in Aus either. Shane Watson was a far better 5th bowler type of batting allrounder.

He should focus on one or the other if he wishes to be a regular in the test team, at the moment he is a "no rounder". Concentrate on either bowling, or batting, instead of being mediocre at both.

Their records aren't similar at all. They are the very opposite of similar.
You have lost me. Those figures above look very similar. Waugh was the true change bowler.  Watson like Marsh is under rated as a bowler.  Marsh is better than both of them but rarely gets the chance to prove it.  Yes threatening in England because he swings it. He is better than just a mediocre trundler..far better. If I was to advise him on what suit to choose it'd have to be batting.. because he will never separate the big three.. and with Jhye Richardson waiting in the wings.. even less likely to. 
Edited
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 14 Jan 2020 3:10 PM
baggygreenmania - 14 Jan 2020 2:18 PM

DC the U19 WC is also about to be played in SAfrica. Shall we post in the Junior Cricket thread or create a U19 WC thread?

I think create an U19 WC thread. 

Thanks for  mentioning it. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

flyslip - 14 Jan 2020 2:53 PM

I’m going to respond to this in General Discussion. 

The same with the Cameron Green question, Baggers. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search