Man U 99 side V Liverpool FC 2020 side

Man U 99 side V Liverpool FC 2020 side

Author
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
the 98/99 Man U side or the one most played was 

Goals === Schmeicael

Back... Neville, Johnsen, Stam, Irwin

Mids, Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs 

Strikers, Cole & York

Who in the current Liverpool side would make the Man U side...

IMO that Man U side, and this hurts as I am a LFC fans... but that Man U side in 98/99 was the best team I have seen...

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Good topic as hard as it is to compare or breakdown.
Can't deny it as much as it hurts, some of those players earned my respect greatly, infact nearly all.
I would take the punt and not see out of place VVD for Johnsen.
Beckham ? IMO he lacked pace, work rate was lacking but for the obvious good points they were bloody good.
Wijnaldum or OX wouldn't be out of place.
Neville ? TAA wouldn't be out of place taking his spot wouldn't you think.
Above for starters.

Love Football

Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Even 
TAA   Stam   VVD   Robertson 
Becks Scholes   Keane (even with Fab)   Giggs
           Mane    Salah 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

haha, you a LFC supporter ?

I was trying to be very nice.

Agree either keeper
TAA Stam VVD Robbo
Ox Wijnaldum Scholes Giggs
Mane York

Love Football

Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

They played such completely different systems that very few players from either side would be able to walk into the other. Our fullbacks are completely different to theirs, with mirroring differences in our midfields. Their players wouldn't make sense in our system and vice versa.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Taking further than what the basic question is :
"Who in the current Liverpool side would make the Man U side"...

Its obvious systems/ how the game was played back in the late '90's is different to today BUT I disagree regards some players from differing eras couldn't cut it in differing eras.
Biggest diff today is "fitness" forgetting "systems".
I don't believe a player of say Scholes/Keane/Giggs for eg with their natural amazing abilities/vision couldn't cut it in todays game ?, as long as they were fit enough that they sure would be, thats what their target is to be the best they can be, I can see them ripping it today.
Same goes visa versa from the many top gifted players from our Pool today, they could adapt easily to the game of yesteryear..

Love Football

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

VVD, Mo & Mane..

VVD is a must over Johnsen

Mo & Mane over York & Cole.

Can't see the Man U 4 mids being replaced...

The bigger question is the outside backs... have the LFC lads had enough seasons under their belts... the LFC wide backs attack more but the Man u wide backs were better in defense...

For me Schmeicael is the best keeper I have ever seen... so he is in goals... 
zimbos_05
zimbos_05
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

As much I respect what Liverpool did this year and their style of football, choosing Robbo over Irwin is insanity. 

Granted I am a United fan, but Liverpool fans maybe think of the 2020 squad a little too highly. The reason many of those United players get high praise is not because of one season. They were consistent and winning titles for many seasons. In 99 it came together and they achieved something never done before, so many tend to single out that season. However, if you watched United regularly, you would know they did it consistently at a high level. 

Also, someone said Becks was not a hard worker, which could not be further from the truth. Ask any of the guys he played with and who coached him and they will tell you he was one of the hardest workers on the field in training and during a match. No way does Ox get a nod over him. Ox can't beak in to the Liverpool side.  Also, Gini over Roy Keane. Guys are having some laughs. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Glad you respect us as much as I do re united.
You got to give kudos where its due even if its your enemy just as I do re united during the reign of the past.
One season always stands out and thats all its about - a general thread by Mid during a high, nothing about pre or post wins.
A little too highly ? of a record breaking League win, come on, give whats it delivered, it was an empathetic win not done before.
Its deflecting bringing it down by - you need to have a run of wins to give it more credibility.
Take off your rose united glass's, we're talking a season no more no less.
We all have opinons, we can't ask the players pov.
I've watched your club from before the EPL rise and to date.
Robbo could fit right in that 99 squad, yes in place of Irwin.
I don't rate Becks defensively and here's his united stats :
https://www.premierleague.com/players/331/David-Beckham/stats
  •          Defence      
  • Tackles 3       Tackle success % 67%       Blocked shots 0       Interceptions 0       Clearances 0       Headed Clearance 0       Recoveries 4       Duels won 4       Duels lost 3       Successful 50/50s 0       Aerial battles won 1       Aerial battles lost 1       Errors leading to goal 0         
  • and for kicks here's Gini's :
    https://www.premierleague.com/players/7114/Georginio-Wijnaldum/stats
  •          Defence      
  • Tackles 199       Tackle success % 68%       Blocked shots 55       Interceptions 117       Clearances 124       Headed Clearance 68       Recoveries 988       Duels won 693       Duels lost 720       Successful 50/50s 193       Aerial battles won 142       Aerial battles lost 197       Errors leading to goal 2         
  • I don't think Gini would be out of place unless I'm plucking these stats wrong.
    Your right about Ox, my error I was on a high at the time, you know those rose coloured glass's I'm guilty there.
    He is not worthy have to say but he's not struggling to start up, you'd know injuries are impeding his career AND the game is not as it was way back in 99, most Gaffas those days barring injuries would start up same start up players near on every single game if they could, today they don't, the benchs are stronger and near on like for like and far more strategic depending who your playing. Thats my up take on the game today compared to then.
    Interesting its been 7mths since this thread started, the LFC wide backs have stood up Mid questioned, they have but such a different game.
    Neville Irwin great at defense but no where near as good in attack as the new breed wide backs as TAA/Robbo.
    Different times - all 4 are brilliant tbh.
    Nothing like having laughs better than being bitter I say.

Love Football

zimbos_05
    zimbos_05
    Legend
    Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

LFC. - 18 Sep 2020 10:02 AM
    Glad you respect us as much as I do re united.
    You got to give kudos where its due even if its your enemy just as I do re united during the reign of the past.
    One season always stands out and thats all its about - a general thread by Mid during a high, nothing about pre or post wins.
    A little too highly ? of a record breaking League win, come on, give whats it delivered, it was an empathetic win not done before.
    Its deflecting bringing it down by - you need to have a run of wins to give it more credibility.
    Take off your rose united glass's, we're talking a season no more no less.
    We all have opinons, we can't ask the players pov.
    I've watched your club from before the EPL rise and to date.
    Robbo could fit right in that 99 squad, yes in place of Irwin.
    I don't rate Becks defensively and here's his united stats :
    https://www.premierleague.com/players/331/David-Beckham/stats
  •          Defence      
  • Tackles 3       Tackle success % 67%       Blocked shots 0       Interceptions 0       Clearances 0       Headed Clearance 0       Recoveries 4       Duels won 4       Duels lost 3       Successful 50/50s 0       Aerial battles won 1       Aerial battles lost 1       Errors leading to goal 0         
  • and for kicks here's Gini's :
    https://www.premierleague.com/players/7114/Georginio-Wijnaldum/stats
  •          Defence      
  • Tackles 199       Tackle success % 68%       Blocked shots 55       Interceptions 117       Clearances 124       Headed Clearance 68       Recoveries 988       Duels won 693       Duels lost 720       Successful 50/50s 193       Aerial battles won 142       Aerial battles lost 197       Errors leading to goal 2         
  • I don't think Gini would be out of place unless I'm plucking these stats wrong.
    Your right about Ox, my error I was on a high at the time, you know those rose coloured glass's I'm guilty there.
    He is not worthy have to say but he's not struggling to start up, you'd know injuries are impeding his career AND the game is not as it was way back in 99, most Gaffas those days barring injuries would start up same start up players near on every single game if they could, today they don't, the benchs are stronger and near on like for like and far more strategic depending who your playing. Thats my up take on the game today compared to then.
    Interesting its been 7mths since this thread started, the LFC wide backs have stood up Mid questioned, they have but such a different game.
    Neville Irwin great at defense but no where near as good in attack as the new breed wide backs as TAA/Robbo.
    Different times - all 4 are brilliant tbh.
    Nothing like having laughs better than being bitter I say.

I give Kudos for the season. It was not record breaking and it has been done before, but it was a good season and by far and away the clear winners. I'm not using pre or post wins to determine that the 99 side is better, I'm saying its very unfair to pick someone from one season over someone who did what they did consistently. 

Robbo is good, but no way near the level of Iwin. I've always watched United from before EPL days, so i'm not saying this with rose tinted glasses. Many experts in the field agree that Iwin was one of the best in his position. I'm inclined to argue that Neville is a better defender than Trent, but i'll give you Trent starting. Again, you are trying to determine different styles of players. If you want players running down the wing, then Trent and Robbo maybe. But if you want solidity and consistency in the back, as well as top notch work rate and good crossers, then Nevile and Irwin would be right up there. People do not rate them because they were not flash. They were grafters. You have said it too. They are great in defense, and that the position you are picking for. 

You can't put a case for Gini over Becks because they play completely different positions and are different styles of players. Becks was a work horse and his career proves that. He was not just a signing for money, but because he was quality, and he proved that at all the clubs he went to. The case is Ox over Becks and we all know Ox was never the first choice in the Liverpool side, so no chance is he picked over Becks. 

LFC.
    LFC.
    Legend

all due respect here's records surpassed 19/20 as quoted in articles for starters,
    Fastest Title Win
    Liverpool won it with seven games to play. The previous best belonged jointly to Everton (1984-85), Manchester City (2017-18) and Manchester United (1907-08, 2000-01), who had five matches remaining.

Longest wining home run
    This is a record that used to belong to Liverpool ... and still does. Bill Shankly's side won 21 consecutive games at Anfield through to December 1972.

Klopp's all-conquering side extended it to 24 before being held to a surprise 1-1 draw by Burnley.

Only two other teams came close to matching Shankly's 21 wins in the interim period -- Man United in 2011 (19) and Man City in 2011-12 (20).

Best start in the top leagues

Liverpool dropped only two points from their first 21 matches, taking 61 points from a possible 63. It was the best start any team has ever made in the top five European Leagues -- Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1.

Biggest lead

Liverpool set a record in February when they moved 22 points clear, which they later extended to 25 points.

International treble

Liverpool became the first English club to win the Champions League, follow that up with success in the UEFA Super Cup and complete the hat trick at the FIFA Club World Cup

I agree it is not fair comparing players or the game some 20yrs diff but it makes for interesting stat comparos and pointing out defence :
    38 game season.
    LFC GA 33
    MU  GA 37
    Draws
    LFC 3
    MU 13
    MU won the title by 1point and LFC by 18.

Todays players are competing against fitness machines and far more skilful attackers plus wing backs than yesteryer as you can see.
    In the end lets just agree BOTH winning squads are brilliant in their own right and this LFC winner ran away with it in a canter.

Love Football

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search