Any avid Car enthusiasts here?

Any avid Car enthusiasts here?

Author
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Mar 2020 7:17 PM
NicCarBel - 23 Mar 2020 6:49 PM

Got to watch it. Is there any good ones on prime???

Prime is the one thing I don't have. Other than Grand Tour, not too sure tbh
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 23 Mar 2020 12:56 PM

LFC. - 23 Mar 2020 9:57 AM

I saw that Fangio one pop up last night, got me quite excited, will have to watch it when my wife is doing some work tomorrow haha.

What have you guys thought of the F1 Doco on Netflix?

Watch it ! enjoyed it much !
yer same for me re wifey, once she's fallen alseep on the couch I'm all over motor racing viewing.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

LFC. - 23 Mar 2020 9:57 AM

I saw that Fangio one pop up last night, got me quite excited, will have to watch it when my wife is doing some work tomorrow haha.

What have you guys thought of the F1 Doco on Netflix?

Watch it ! enjoyed it much !
yer same for me re wifey, once she's fallen alseep on the couch I'm all over motor racing viewing.
If anyone has Netflix as we recently acquired ( my kids wanted it I didn't :laugh: ) there is a great documentary called Apex.  It's about the supercar manufacturers.   Mclaren, Porsche, Ferrari, Pagani, Bugatti & Koenigsegg.   

How amazing to watch their build process's.
They are all amazing marques' but wow the Pagani/Koenigsegg's are amazing as much as a Ferrari fanboi I am.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

for us F1 devotees its wait n see like all sports.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.statement-from-f1-ceo-chase-carey-when-the-situation-improves-well-be-ready.605dLuJYFSuJlOw8E2T4F5.html
Also McLaren confirms going ahead to MB engines for '21
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.mclaren-confirm-switch-to-mercedes-power-in-2021-to-go-ahead-as-planned.10tnE3r9wYnQap4TUotwfZ.html

Love Football

Chris_AUFC
Chris_AUFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Going to be a busy off season for McLaren, then. The big rule changes have been pushed back to 2022 so now they're the only team with a lot of redesign to do on the chassis for 2021, unless others need to massively redesign for competitiveness. Sure the engine mounting points are all the same, but even "basic" stuff like the cooling systems are massively different in architecture let alone the energy storage units. Those guys will be working overtime to get the Merc engine package in and integrated aero wise. 

If anyone needs more motoring goodness to watch on the telly, give 'Adrenalin' a go. It's a BMW motorsport doco mainly on their touring cars all the way from the 60's to the golden years of DTM and up to this decade, but also includes some 1980's F1, Le Mans, M1 Procar Series, art cars, and more. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

I think the off season is going to be a longer one than usual.
Even if and when they will start racing this year they will also get a head start on the MB fitment to their chassis I suppose but yer still alot of work ahead.
Talk about making with with an ex wife !

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

So with the coming economic down turn coming do you think we will have some great new car deals in the next few months despite the A$ going down and down ?
Probably only on old stock.

Love Football

Chris_AUFC
Chris_AUFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

LFC. - 24 Mar 2020 11:04 PM
So with the coming economic down turn coming do you think we will have some great new car deals in the next few months despite the A$ going down and down ?
Probably only on old stock.

Yeah older stock wouldn't surprise me, I have seen old Holden dealers in Adelaide go crazy. Trying to get $10k off a brand new Astra RS-V for a relative and I honestly think I can get it. Haggle hard!
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

oh yer anything under the Holden brand (barring colorado to a degree) is open to good deals, they are in hurt hurt hurt more than most.
Giveaway those imposter commodores.
Why an Astra ? I'd be looking at a i30/KIA for me.
In fact thats what I hoping to jump into, a i30N on a rippa deal in the near future.

Love Football

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
My niece and her boyfriend just yesterday went into debt buying a 2016 Ford Territory. I told them prior it was a stupid idea not just because I don't believe they can afford that debt even disregarding the worlds current climate, nor also because that car is completely unnecessarily large for their lifestyle, but my main reason was surely cars are going to dip in value in a very short amount of time and it seems ridiculous not to continue with their current car (which was fine, within reason) until they get far better deals.

But, I drove past yesterday and saw the Territory parked in their driveway so I am the arsehole uncle that they have proved wrong, I assume is their thought train. 
Chris_AUFC
Chris_AUFC
Semi-Pro

pv4 - 25 Mar 2020 8:59 AM
My niece and her boyfriend just yesterday went into debt buying a 2016 Ford Territory. I told them prior it was a stupid idea not just because I don't believe they can afford that debt even disregarding the worlds current climate, nor also because that car is completely unnecessarily large for their lifestyle, but my main reason was surely cars are going to dip in value in a very short amount of time and it seems ridiculous not to continue with their current car (which was fine, within reason) until they get far better deals.

But, I drove past yesterday and saw the Territory parked in their driveway so I am the arsehole uncle that they have proved wrong, I assume is their thought train. 

Sorry to hear, it seems to be a common attitude amongst the younger ones though (I say that despite the fact I'm only 26 myself). Gotta have as new and as shiny of a car as you possibly can and bugger what it costs you. They'll genuinely regret it and sell it soon enough it sounds like anyway. But yeah you can go to any Holden dealer and just get ludicrous deals at the moment, and the Territory has a lot of known issues which will start to show soon. 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

My thing has always been.  Don't borrow money ( or save as much as you can ) to buy a car & don't buy new.

This is a bad time for large financial commitments imo. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

pv4, your not the scrouge Uncle - just typical when maturing knowing with experience.
We were all young once (well I am compared to many here, my eldest son is ChrisAUFC's age ffs :) )........
Back in my day @ 21ish I went into debt wanting the latest and greatest - that taught me, costed me a BOMB what the interest was back then !
In my own business for a long time now and EZ's comments above have been my ways since that huge lesson, buy very low k 2-5yr old cars what I've needed outright.
Saved alot of money.
Only bought my first new one in 2016 - due to 2 things, business has been going well, money in the bank, DD for its a keeper.
Look no matter what people say re the Terri, they are good SUV but their fuel bill omg unless you can afford it.
Nothing like that inline aussie 6.
By now I expect previous owners have fixed the known issues ie front ball joints was the main thing knocking away.
The rest is not that bad, its all Falcon running gear, affordable compared to other brands.
Just depends they use a good mechanic.
Now is certainly not the time getting into debt but then again banks are going to be alot more flexible under the circumstances.

Love Football

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
LFC. - 25 Mar 2020 10:43 AM
pv4, your not the scrouge Uncle - just typical when maturing knowing with experience.
We were all young once (well I am compared to many here, my eldest son is ChrisAUFC's age ffs :) )........
Back in my day @ 21ish I went into debt wanting the latest and greatest - that taught me, costed me a BOMB what the interest was back then !
In my own business for a long time now and EZ's comments above have been my ways since that huge lesson, buy very low k 2-5yr old cars what I've needed outright.
Saved alot of money.
Only bought my first new one in 2016 - due to 2 things, business has been going well, money in the bank, DD for its a keeper.
Look no matter what people say re the Terri, they are good SUV but their fuel bill omg unless you can afford it.
Nothing like that inline aussie 6.
By now I expect previous owners have fixed the known issues ie front ball joints was the main thing knocking away.
The rest is not that bad, its all Falcon running gear, affordable compared to other brands.
Just depends they use a good mechanic.
Now is certainly not the time getting into debt but then again banks are going to be alot more flexible under the circumstances.

My Dad had a Territory and it was outstanding for him, and for the family when we borrowed it for the extra seats. He semi-recently even upgraded to the Everest. So that Ford line is proven in our family. 

But I can't work out why they need such a big car, and like you said with the added running costs even in their financial prime that car makes no sense why they'd get it. 

Both my niece and her boyfriend have a horrible history of keeping up with routine maintenance on their cars, their current cars are in worse shape than they could be because of this. I expect them to be no better with this Territory, particularly as they will more than probably consider servicing too expensive while they are repaying the car itself.

Apparently I am the only one in the family that lives and breathes by the mechanic service sticker - you hit the kms it says, you take it in. The rest of my family consider this the wrong way to maintain their car (and note: they do not maintain it themselves). 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Ah ok re the Ford linage.
Good to hear for I am a Aussie Ford supporter (Falcon) warts and all RIP.....
Everest is a good bit of kit mind you, I keep saying it amongst my fellow Enthusiasts elsewhere its over priced but thats where Ford wish to be - making some profit unlike like they used to.
Ranger as well has been a great money maker - people seem to buy the high end Wildtrak where profits are better than XLT/S's so good on them.
I still like bigger cars than I need when you mention this about them.
I hear you about "servicing" your vehicles.
I am the same and worse being an Enthusiast, 5-7klm oil changes but my "daily" normal service intervals religiously.
Prevention is better than cure, the young have to learn the hard way, through their pockets.

Love Football

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Yep. 5k oil religiously since forever & replace my own parts where possible,  brakes, discs, air filters, spark plugs.  
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

ErogenousZone - 25 Mar 2020 12:58 PM
Yep. 5k oil religiously since forever & replace my own parts where possible,  brakes, discs, air filters, spark plugs.  

yep agreed, easy when you know how....just making the time.
I expect the circumstances ahead will increase DIY - well on the cars people know what to touch and not.

Love Football

Chris_AUFC
Chris_AUFC
Semi-Pro

LFC. - 25 Mar 2020 8:54 AM
oh yer anything under the Holden brand (barring colorado to a degree) is open to good deals, they are in hurt hurt hurt more than most.
Giveaway those imposter commodores.
Why an Astra ? I'd be looking at a i30/KIA for me.
In fact thats what I hoping to jump into, a i30N on a rippa deal in the near future.

Sorry only just saw this. Have test driven the i30 (not the N) and agree that it is a solid car and good value for money.. but just lacks that last 1% for me. The Astra drives really nicely and looks more sharp too, just a bit less pedestrian I suppose is the best way to put it. By all means the i30 is still a good car but it's more like a Corolla to me - first car I would recommend to any non-enthusiast, just not for my taste because it's more like an appliance rather than a machine I can get involved with and enjoy the experience of more. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

yes I agree with your summary, the Astra does look sharper has some style in fact compared to i30/rolla etc......
Get yourself in a i30N for a test drive, only something like that gets my juices going and I was impressed, bang for buck.

By the way all this car posting get me going.
I spotted this recent you tuber doing a test on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swlBE2iOjOk&feature=youtu.be
Maybe not be to many here's taste, back in the day you were either Falcon or Holden, I went Falcon.
That you tube review is just as the one I have stored away but mine is the TS50 up spec version and same colour Blueprint.
For a taxi as they say it really does well for a big 4door.
Love it, haven't driven it for about a year, need to get it out blow its cobwebs off.

Love Football

Edited
4 Years Ago by LFC.
Chris_AUFC
Chris_AUFC
Semi-Pro

Would love to test drive an i30N, but I know if I do.. there goes a chunk of my savings for a home deposit because I won't be able to resist 😅

I was in the Ford camp too despite growing up in Adelaide, especially in the the AU-BA Falcon days. That Tickford TS50 was exactly as they put it in that video, how the AU always should have looked (although in V8 Supercars trim the DJR and Green Eye 00 Falcons were fantastic too). Definitely an appreciating modern classic in our motoring history, you're a lucky bugger with one of those in the garage! I miss those days of V8 Supercars, it just doesn't have the same appeal or relevance anymore. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Chris_AUFC - 28 Mar 2020 2:16 PM
Would love to test drive an i30N, but I know if I do.. there goes a chunk of my savings for a home deposit because I won't be able to resist 😅

I was in the Ford camp too despite growing up in Adelaide, especially in the the AU-BA Falcon days. That Tickford TS50 was exactly as they put it in that video, how the AU always should have looked (although in V8 Supercars trim the DJR and Green Eye 00 Falcons were fantastic too). Definitely an appreciating modern classic in our motoring history, you're a lucky bugger with one of those in the garage! I miss those days of V8 Supercars, it just doesn't have the same appeal or relevance anymore. 

Same . I would love to drive one but I'll be tempted lol. The 130n  sedan Looks mint but prefer the hot hatch version. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

I know a car enthusiast! He has a collection of 7. 

He has Car Owner Virus! 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Prime has some good car related stuff on there . Grand prix season 1 about McLaren , le mans 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Thanks fellas re the TS50.
It sure is a nice bit of kit for its only a Falcon to some.
I love it, its mean looking, sounds mad and handles fantastic for its size, the IRS is way better than the preceeding BASeries onwards.
It steers better than BSeries/FG series as well.
Even at 18yrs old when I take it out people turn their necks, at servos filling up at times someone pass's by and asks is that a new GT - lol love it.
ChrisAUFC yes hang onto getting a house, IF your in that position soon after COVID19 deals will there for the taking and maybe can get a i30N as well lol.........
Yes I'm very impressed with that car, agreed I like the coupe design if/when I get one.
mouflon, I know quite a few with their toy fleet virius - madness but good luck to them.
Damn the roads are quiet.
Yes plenty car shows etc to watch on Netflix.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Well apart from still getting to my office daily again for now and were in the middle of a small reno at home I'm getting myself ready to make some time getting into some detailing.
Bought some more shine mate pads - cleaning brush and looking forward to paint correct my neglected 4x4 black hilux, its my daily and tbh the marks/swirls and clear coat oxidisation on the roof has got me to the point enough is enough.
Looking forward to get into this and see how it comes up.
Then the wifes 2yr old CX5 needs a light clean up to get it looking scmick again.
Both cars are not under cover and we live around bush area, so between heaps of gum sap/possum and bird droppings these paint jobs need protection.
Hey got plenty more time on weekends with NO football to play/attend/watch.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Well the Supercar ESeries is a small relief unexpectedly.
I wasn't that excited about it but its better than I thought once you get your head around it.
Having Verstappen in last week was great and seeing our guys racing on Monza was a good change.
Bathurst last night was fun as well for when isn't anything at Bathurst not.
Some fast sim steerers.
All in all its better than nothing.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Well I didn't end up going a i30N, nearly but really wanted more space than the Hatch/Coupe.
After much searching at around the $40k odd budget I stumbled across a very clean 1owner 2017 Bimmer 330i MSport wagon.
Only had 30thou k's - log books obviously.
First of the 3series with the 2.0l T motor. I had a 3 series years ago and loved that straight line 6 so my test drive originally I was a little sceptical at first and thankfully very impressed how damn good it goes.
Wright ups about this vehicle upon release and scribes test drives were very positive towards the engine change and overall package.
Having picked it up today I can see why.
What a brilliant mid size car it is, and loving the depreciation dump these euros always cop after 3yrs.

Love Football

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

LFC. - 21 Jun 2020 11:36 PM
Well I didn't end up going a i30N, nearly but really wanted more space than the Hatch/Coupe.
After much searching at around the $40k odd budget I stumbled across a very clean 1owner 2017 Bimmer 330i MSport wagon.
Only had 30thou k's - log books obviously.
First of the 3series with the 2.0l T motor. I had a 3 series years ago and loved that straight line 6 so my test drive originally I was a little sceptical at first and thankfully very impressed how damn good it goes.
Wright ups about this vehicle upon release and scribes test drives were very positive towards the engine change and overall package.
Having picked it up today I can see why.
What a brilliant mid size car it is, and loving the depreciation dump these euros always cop after 3yrs.

Damn. But the bimmer is still a good choice 
My wife is getting a ldv 9 seater due to the fact she's starting a family day care and will need seating.  .maybe I could get the i30 n now 😅😅
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search