The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
notarobot - 11 Aug 2020 10:49 PM
Waz - 6 Aug 2020 6:44 AM

Love the way you support Dillon 
😂 

It’s unreasonable not to expect fans to have an opinion on the players in their team. 

It’s even more unreasonable to expect fans to have a positive opinion towards all players, all the time.   

So the way I support “Dillon” is to go to all home games no matter the weather, fly to Cairns when they play a home game there, drive to the Gold Coast with my kid on a school night when they play ACL games there, and go go midweek cup games wherever they’re played. And travel to a handful of away games when I can. 

If anyone thinks Dillon is the perfect player and doesn’t need to improve please, post away ... but too many young players fail to kick on and there’s no point in sugar-coating things. 

Discussing why they’re maybe not kicking on, or pointing out obvious shortfalls is nothing more than they’d be getting from their coaching staff on a regular basis - anyone who doesn’t get that has never been coached or done coaching. 

So self-appointed Karen’s like yourself won’t change my opinion. 

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

Waz - 12 Aug 2020 6:30 AM

It’s unreasonable not to expect fans to have an opinion on the players in their team. 

It’s even more unreasonable to expect fans to have a positive opinion towards all players, all the time.   

So the way I support “Dillon” is to go to all home games no matter the weather, fly to Cairns when they play a home game there, drive to the Gold Coast with my kid on a school night when they play ACL games there, and go go midweek cup games wherever they’re played. And travel to a handful of away games when I can. 

If anyone thinks Dillon is the perfect player and doesn’t need to improve please, post away ... but too many young players fail to kick on and there’s no point in sugar-coating things. 

Discussing why they’re maybe not kicking on, or pointing out obvious shortfalls is nothing more than they’d be getting from their coaching staff on a regular basis - anyone who doesn’t get that has never been coached or done coaching. 

So self-appointed Karen’s like yourself won’t change my opinion. 

Lol , good to see you have moved on from calling people trolls , Karen is a much more 2020.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

notarobot - 12 Aug 2020 7:55 AM
Waz - 12 Aug 2020 6:30 AM

Lol , good to see you have moved on from calling people trolls , Karen is a much more 2020.

Oh we still have trolls. And dickheads. All self appointed I might add. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Waz - 12 Aug 2020 8:39 AM
notarobot - 12 Aug 2020 7:55 AM

Oh we still have trolls. And dickheads. All self appointed I might add. 

I'd go with troll this time Waz. The deliberate misspelling of his name in consecutive posts is too clear an indicator of a troll being obvious over a genuinely outraged person.

I really hope Dylan (just for those who don't know and out of respect for him) has turned that magical corner and we see more of that type of performance in future games.

I was really impressed to see some of his softer touches.

Watching Atkinson last night for City reminded me of DWH somewhat (not in actual playing style) - the way he carried the ball forward with speed and at times quite a silky touch then showed the final disjointed or telegraphed touch or pass of a relatively unskilled player just learning their craft. Really jarred to my ignorant senses. Perhaps all adrenalin building as he wove his way through then affecting his final effort.

Atkinson himself aside, as a coach is it common to see players with really well developed, silky dribbling skills but who struggle with simple passing? I have seen so many kids walking round at local football games dribbling a ball by themselves and wonder if interest and enthusiasm for football without structured training would produce that one-sided combination of skills.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 12 Aug 2020 9:00 AM
Waz - 12 Aug 2020 8:39 AM

I'd go with troll this time Waz. The deliberate misspelling of his name in consecutive posts is too clear an indicator of a troll being obvious over a genuinely outraged person.

I really hope Dylan (just for those who don't know and out of respect for him) has turned that magical corner and we see more of that type of performance in future games.

I was really impressed to see some of his softer touches.

Watching Atkinson last night for City reminded me of DWH somewhat (not in actual playing style) - the way he carried the ball forward with speed and at times quite a silky touch then showed the final disjointed or telegraphed touch or pass of a relatively unskilled player just learning their craft. Really jarred to my ignorant senses. Perhaps all adrenalin building as he wove his way through then affecting his final effort.

Atkinson himself aside, as a coach is it common to see players with really well developed, silky dribbling skills but who struggle with simple passing? I have seen so many kids walking round at local football games dribbling a ball by themselves and wonder if interest and enthusiasm for football without structured training would produce that one-sided combination of skills.

FYI I wasn’t the one who misspelled the lads name , I am and have been in the past one of Dylan’s biggest supporters . 
I don’t edit my posts.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Waz - 6 Aug 2020 6:44 AM

Love the way you support Dillon 
😂 

Now I'm genuinely confused notarobot.

I thought his name was Dylan, and that you have spelled it Dillon.

Either you have misspelled his name (which you deny) or his name is misspelled Dylan everywhere I have looked.

Happy to be set straight on this...

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star

Roar in me Blood - 12 Aug 2020 2:20 PM

Now I'm genuinely confused notarobot.

I thought his name was Dylan, and that you have spelled it Dillon.

Either you have misspelled his name (which you deny) or his name is misspelled Dylan everywhere I have looked.

Happy to be set straight on this...

Lol , I don’t blame you , I were taking the piss out of waz who spelt his name Dillon, but now that post is DWH. 
Anyway all good more important things to worry about , finals fast approaching, need JOS to click into top gear , I think he is the key to going all the way tbh. 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Roar in me Blood - 11 Aug 2020 10:20 PM
Ha! Can't resist one last post because I find it really interesting:

1st SFC
2nd 44 pts City play WU (W) 47 pts 10 GD
3rd 41 pts Phoenix play NJ (W) 44 pts 8 GD
4th 40 pts Roar 1 GD
5th 37 pts Glory play WU (W) 40 pts 9 GD
6th 36 pts Adelaide -5 GD
----------------------------------
  33 pts Western United play PG SFC MC (L L L) 33 pts 8 GD
----------------------------------
out NJ
out WSW
out MV
out CCM

Most likely WU will end up 6th and play Nix in finals, while we play Glory as either 4th v 5th or 5th v 4th. WU would need 2 wins or a win and 2 draws to overtake Glory since they are not going to make up the Goal Difference.

Tomorrow PG v WU 5:30pm will be informative.

Apologies - I had posted Wanderers goal difference for WU. Adelaide are looking gone by the shape of the Perth v WU game on now, and a subsequent draw to WU after tonight likely to put them in 5th as our opponents in the first final we play.

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Tony_Flaturf - 2 Aug 2020 4:53 PM
Jimo8 - 2 Aug 2020 3:55 PM

Your best player is about to be 37 and you only got him because he fell out with the club that actually brought him back to Aus. all the crap the roar copped was because they signed ro'd and a bunch of crap brexits. Which is still the case. O'shea's ok but can't score. Did you see Aldred's challenge on nabbout? Gillesphey isn't a league standard. AAH plays 5 worthless mins a game. Your the 2nd worst scoring team in the league and would possibly be worst without McDonald.
An Adelaide team of 18-25yos put 5 past Perth and it should have been more. Even a roar fan surely envies Adelaides roster and future. if they signed someone decent instead of Troisi they'd be a real threat

And despite us being so shite, we are in the finals while Adelaide’s off season has already begun. Go figure?
notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star

clockwork orange - 12 Aug 2020 9:08 PM
Tony_Flaturf - 2 Aug 2020 4:53 PM

And despite us being so shite, we are in the finals while Adelaide’s off season has already begun. Go figure?

Lol Adelaide will struggle next year , rookie coach with youth players , not gonna end well .
Love giving the youth a go but for 18-19 yr olds to preform week in and week out at the top level is a big ask.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

”....Veteran Brisbane Roar striker Scott McDonald is under investigation by Football Federation Australia after leaving the club’s Hunter Valley base to work as a commentator for Optus Sport....”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/exsocceroo-scott-mcdonald-under-investigation-over-possible-aleague-double-biosecurity-breach/news-story/62b6a771773e83291ca86b554fc2a56f

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

scott20won - 13 Aug 2020 5:56 PM
”....Veteran Brisbane Roar striker Scott McDonald is under investigation by Football Federation Australia after leaving the club’s Hunter Valley base to work as a commentator for Optus Sport....”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/exsocceroo-scott-mcdonald-under-investigation-over-possible-aleague-double-biosecurity-breach/news-story/62b6a771773e83291ca86b554fc2a56f

Obviously hoping it is all above board.

Comparing Macca's 'work' as a commentator and playing a game with someone going to watch an NPL game is a bit steep.

Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

Yes....I'm going Macca hasn't stuffed up because I'd be pretty off him if he has!!

we all out there coaching and playing at amateur level and if a professional makes stupid decisions ......gonna be some unhappy people.....all giving their time and effort mostly free.
Waz
Waz
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 13 Aug 2020 8:37 PM
scott20won - 13 Aug 2020 5:56 PM

Obviously hoping it is all above board.

Comparing Macca's 'work' as a commentator and playing a game with someone going to watch an NPL game is a bit steep.

It’s all BS. FoxSports unhappy because he’s done work with Optus. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

I thought there was a condition of his release that Scotty Mac could not play against WU?

If so, would that apply to finals games?

From The Australian article:
"The veteran forward, who played a leading role in the Roar’s 2-1 win over Adelaide United at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, has revealed a clause in his contract will prevent him taking on his former club."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/mcdonald-cant-play-western-united/news-story/d5659b11648cb7489a56d6648bb441bf

Edited
4 Years Ago by Roar in me Blood
Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

Flower claiming to have been unlawfully sacked? Wouldn't be a Brisbane Roar season without some back room drama. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/not-a-quitter-liverpool-legend-fowler-claims-he-was-unlawfully-sacked-by-brisbane-20200814-p55lt5.html

CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Mello-D - 15 Aug 2020 8:33 AM
Flower claiming to have been unlawfully sacked? Wouldn't be a Brisbane Roar season without some back room drama. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/not-a-quitter-liverpool-legend-fowler-claims-he-was-unlawfully-sacked-by-brisbane-20200814-p55lt5.html

Well, let's put it this way - he doesn't need the money, which is suggests to me that his account is probably accurate.

But why would BR management terminate his contract?   Moon could simply have gone into caretaker role.  
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

The whole thing seems bizarre. 

This was reported on 29 June:

The club cited “the current and ongoing coronavirus situation” as the reason for Fowler’s departure.

“We are disappointed that the global pandemic has impacted our plans together but completely understand that family comes first during these difficult times,” said club deputy chairman Chris Fong.

Sounds like Fowler didn’t want to return when the club wanted him to.

Edited
4 Years Ago by clockwork orange
Waz
Waz
Legend

CS - 15 Aug 2020 11:23 AM
Mello-D - 15 Aug 2020 8:33 AM

Well, let's put it this way - he doesn't need the money, which is suggests to me that his account is probably accurate.

But why would BR management terminate his contract?   Moon could simply have gone into caretaker role.  

Sometimes it’s more than money. Some people just hate to be seen to “lose”. 

Highly unlikely he was fired but “constructive dismissal” is easier to prove  

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Waz - 15 Aug 2020 2:17 PM
CS - 15 Aug 2020 11:23 AM

Sometimes it’s more than money. Some people just hate to be seen to “lose”. 

Highly unlikely he was fired but “constructive dismissal” is easier to prove  

So perhaps Fowler said he wasn’t going to come back  for the restart but would be back next season and the club decided that wasn’t good enough, which is understandable. Can see how Fowler might think that was unreasonable.
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

clockwork orange - 15 Aug 2020 4:37 PM
Waz - 15 Aug 2020 2:17 PM

So perhaps Fowler said he wasn’t going to come back  for the restart but would be back next season and the club decided that wasn’t good enough, which is understandable. Can see how Fowler might think that was unreasonable.

I though I saw a tweet that Grant posted after they did not return saying something along the lines of people can not know how difficult it was to have family back in England during Corona Virus ..and this seemed reasonable to me too.
I took from that that they both decided not to come back because of their families .
Anyone else remember that tweet ? Did I get the meaning right ?

Edited
4 Years Ago by miron mercedes
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

miron mercedes - 15 Aug 2020 6:27 PM
clockwork orange - 15 Aug 2020 4:37 PM

I though I saw a tweet that Grant posted after they did not return saying something along the lines of people can not know how difficult it was to have family back in England during Corona Virus ..and this seemed reasonable to me too.
I took from that that they both decided not to come back because of their families .
Anyone else remember that tweet ? Did I get the meaning right ?

Definitely understandable from an individual’s perspective, but the club has to consider the wellbeing of the entire team and playing staff... who’s to say Fowler and Grant’s circumstances would be any better/different come start of next season?

Looks like Fowler paid his own fare home but expected the club to pay for his flight back.

“Then [they] wanted me to pay my own flight going back. I said ‘if you want me to come back, you’ve got to at least pay for my flight’. Regardless of how much money [they] think I’ve got, if I’m stood down and I’m not getting paid … it [would be] costing me money.

If this is true then it is pretty devastating as a fan. it makes Fowler and the club both look like total cheapskates. Seems that neither Fowler nor management thinks the good of the club, the team and the fans is worth a measly $5k. Seriously?

Edited
4 Years Ago by clockwork orange
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

mr Fowler walked out of NQ Fury, and then had contract dispute.
A red flag to the Roar if there ever was one

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Ozzy78
Ozzy78
Under 7s
Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)Under 7s (7 reputation)

Whats going on with the club?

This doesn't add up at all. I'm hearing different things.
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Roar in me Blood - 14 Aug 2020 11:42 PM
I thought there was a condition of his release that Scotty Mac could not play against WU?

If so, would that apply to finals games?

From The Australian article:
"The veteran forward, who played a leading role in the Roar’s 2-1 win over Adelaide United at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, has revealed a clause in his contract will prevent him taking on his former club."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/mcdonald-cant-play-western-united/news-story/d5659b11648cb7489a56d6648bb441bf

Given Roar vs WU is quite likely does anyone have an answer to this?
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

clockwork orange - 16 Aug 2020 8:33 PM
Roar in me Blood - 14 Aug 2020 11:42 PM

Given Roar vs WU is quite likely does anyone have an answer to this?

Clause doesn’t apply for finals according to Fox last night. 
Waz
Waz
Legend

Ozzy78 - 16 Aug 2020 7:24 PM
Whats going on with the club?

This doesn't add up at all. I'm hearing different things.

err, nothing most likely? 

At worst they’ve got a dispute with a coach who has been fired. That is football the world over. 

At best the media is printing half truths and rumours fed by the usual suspects and possibly Fowler/Grant and their agents. 

Either way, nothing is “going on” that isn’t normal in the world of football. 

Having numerous drama queens in the fan base is probably not normal though. 

Proud Dad
Proud Dad
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)

dirkvanadidas - 15 Aug 2020 10:13 PM
mr Fowler walked out of NQ Fury, and then had contract dispute.
A red flag to the Roar if there ever was one

Roar have a bit of form here too. Think Mike Mulvey. 

Quote from Judge Reid in his decision to allow Mulvey's case to proceed:   

"There is however an unusual aspect of the matter. Indeed, I am reminded of: 'Curiouser and curiouser’ cried Alice, (she was so much surprised that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English).  Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Chapter 2"

Edited
4 Years Ago by Proud Dad
Proud Dad
Proud Dad
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)

Also got to the academy games yesterday, been a while. I notice this year the Roar teams are no longer playing up an age group. I thought it may have been an FQ directive but apparently not, decision made by WM in the interests of development ???
Waz
Waz
Legend

Proud Dad - 17 Aug 2020 8:32 AM
Also got to the academy games yesterday, been a while. I notice this year the Roar teams are no longer playing up an age group. I thought it may have been an FQ directive but apparently not, decision made by WM in the interests of development ???

How did they look? 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search