'Slow, very lethargic...' - Veart ready to rip up the Reds team sheet [Comments]

'Slow, very lethargic...' - Veart ready to rip up the Reds team sheet...

Author
Inside Sport Bot
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
'Slow, very lethargic...' - Veart ready to rip up the Reds team sheet

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/slow-very-lethargic---veart-ready-to-rip-up-the-reds-team-sheet-560011

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Good to see him making changes, because last night was pathetic.

Strain and Lopez should slot straight in and hopefully Mauk will be fit enough to start too (In place of Marrone, Caletti and D'Arrigo). I wouldn't be surprised if Noah Smith and Yaya Dukuly are dropped as well tbh. I wouldn't drop Jakobsen or Elsey yet as they are an established CB partnership but if they keep performing like that, then I'd give Timotheou a run.

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

This is the XI I'd pick against Victory

Delianov
Strain Elsey Jakobsen Smith
Lopez
Mauk Konstand
Halloran Juric Niyongabire

Gauci, Timotheou, Kitto, D'Arrigo, Caletti/Dukuly (haven't decided which), M Toure, Yengi

If Mauk isn't fit enough to start then, I'd start D'Arrigo at DM, play Lopez as an 8 and Dukuly and Caletti can both sit on the bench

Nunya
Nunya
Hacker
Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)

Caletti needs to go, doesn't contribute enough in my opinion going forward. They need someone dominating that central role and they had no one last night. I think Timotheau should start based on some of his passing last game too.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Nunya
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Juric was rubbish last night, too slow. Team looked better with more dynamism up front.
sub007
sub007
World Class

Dan_The_Red - 21 Jan 2021 1:13 PM
Juric was rubbish last night, too slow. Team looked better with more dynamism up front.

Disagree with that.

He had next to no service but on the rare occasions we got the ball forward he fought hard and held up the ball well. He probably was the best of the players who started for us but that's a ridiculously low bar,
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Yeah not much more Juric could have done last night.

He cut a very isolated (and frustrated at times) figure up there but worked hard and did what he could do well enough.
I thought he was probably the only player to get a pass mark.

Dukuly can sit a couple out now I think. 
He's been given 3 games straight and besides a few nice moments is struggling to get himself in the game.
Not having a go at all I just think a few games not starting is a good idea.

We have a lot of raw talent in the forward areas and kids that age will always blow hot and cold.
Think Pac probably deserves a start. I'm guessing Veart thinks Dukuly works harder than Pac maybe?

I'd drop Caletti too as soon as ANYONE else is fit enough to start there.
Probably a nice guy and a hard worker but I am failing to see what he provides that literally any other fit human being couldn't provide

Halloran had is usual 1 in 3 "I forgot I'm a good player" games but hard to want to drop him from this side to be honest.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Do you think it’s why halloran might not preform well since his spot is so safe?
sub007
sub007
World Class

Melbcityguy - 21 Jan 2021 2:03 PM
Do you think it’s why halloran might not preform well since his spot is so safe?

No, he performed last year in a team struggling under a coach who the players didn’t like.

I just think he had an off night and even then he still scored a cracker.
sub007
sub007
World Class

Davide82 - 21 Jan 2021 1:57 PM

He cut a very isolated (and frustrated at times) figure up there but worked hard and did what he could do well enough.

Dukuly can sit a couple out now I think. 
He's been given 3 games straight and besides a few nice moments is struggling to get himself in the game.
Not having a go at all I just think a few games not starting is a good idea.

We have a lot of raw talent in the forward areas and kids that age will always blow hot and cold.
Think Pac probably deserves a start. I'm guessing Veart thinks Dukuly works harder than Pac maybe?

Probably a nice guy and a hard worker but I am failing to see what he provides that literally any other fit human being couldn't provide

Halloran had is usual 1 in 3 "I forgot I'm a good player" games but hard to want to drop him from this side to be honest.

Agree with most of this.

Dukuly is clearly a talent but he isn’t good enough to be starting. I agree that Pac deserves to start at least until Al Hassan is back.

Caletti did really well in round 1 tbf and seemed to win a lot of tackles but he was poor last night.
Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

I taped last night's game and haven't seen it yet.

However, Caletti a few seasons ago had quick feet with the ball at his feet,  had a low  centre of gravity allowing him to turn quickly, possessed very  quick handling speed, had an assured first touch on both sides of the body  - of a higher quality than most Aussies in the A L at the time.

If Caletti is now working hard,  has increased his  physicality  and he effectively tackled ( I think Sub007 mentioned this), these were his weaknesses with Roar.

Caletti is becoming a more rounded player. His other high level technical skills will continue to improve at this  stage of his career. Caltetti may have had a shocker last night though.

I'm very interested in Adelaide. They are one of the teams that are dominated by domestic Aussie players, with a lot of them being young. They have great capacity to improve, but young players are by definition inconsistent, and  make mistakes.

Pleasingly, unlike imports, particularly journeymen, they are available for Australian national  teams for selection too.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Decentric 2
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

This is my problem. Strikers who stand up top waiting for service. Drop back or push wide and get involved, at least move defenders around to open channels for midfield forward runs. But no, just stand there, double marked, and wonder why you can’t get a touch. Forward lines are always more dangerous when the dynamism increases.

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 21 Jan 2021 5:12 PM

I taped last night's game and haven't seen it yet.

However, Caletti a few seasons ago had quick feet with the ball at his feet,  had a low  centre of gravity allowing him to turn quickly, possessed very  quick handling speed, had an assured first touch on both sides of the body  - of a higher quality than most Aussies in the A L at the time.

If Caletti is now working hard work,  has increased his  physicality  and he effectively tackled ( I think Sub007 mentioned this), these were his weaknesses with Roar.

Caletti is becoming a more rounded player. His other high level technical skills will continue to improve at this  stage of his career. Caltetti may have had a shocker last night though.

I'm very interested in Adelaide. They are one of the teams that are dominated by domestic Aussie players, with a lot of them being young. They have great capacity to improve, but young players are by definition inconsistent, and  make mistakes.

Pleasingly, unlike imports, particularly journeymen, they are available for Australian national  teams for selection too.

Hope he doesn't handle the ball too much!

He apparently flopped at Brisbane- another performance like last night's in Perth and he will be in trouble at Adelaide.
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

sub007 - 21 Jan 2021 12:14 PM
This is the XI I'd pick against Victory

Delianov
Strain Elsey Jakobsen Smith
Lopez
Mauk Konstand
Halloran Juric Niyongabire

Gauci, Timotheou, Kitto, D'Arrigo, Caletti/Dukuly (haven't decided which), M Toure, Yengi

If Mauk isn't fit enough to start then, I'd start D'Arrigo at DM, play Lopez as an 8 and Dukuly and Caletti can both sit on the bench

Why? D’Arrigo was solid, and Dukuly didn’t do much wrong. Why destroy the confidence of a young player? Team should be the same with Strain in for Marrone (who I thought was poor) particularly for Fornaroli’s goal, Lopez in for Caletti and Mauk in for N. Konstand. 
sub007
sub007
World Class

sportaddict - 21 Jan 2021 7:10 PM

Why? D’Arrigo was solid, and Dukuly didn’t do much wrong. Why destroy the confidence of a young player? Team should be the same with Strain in for Marrone (who I thought was poor) particularly for Fornaroli’s goal, Lopez in for Caletti and Mauk in for N. Konstand. 

D'Arrigo was pretty quiet and I think he's nowhere near as effecrive in an advanced role. I also think a midfield of Lopez, Konstand and Mauk is more balanced.

Dukuly hasn't done anything wrong but he hasn't done anything to justify his inclusion either. Niyongabire and M Toure have made much more of an impact off the bench than he has  and on current form, they should be starting ahead of him.
Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
sub007
sub007
World Class

Dan_The_Red - 21 Jan 2021 5:20 PM

This is my problem. Strikers who stand up top waiting for service. Drop back or push wide and get involved, at least move defenders around to open channels for midfield forward runs. But no, just stand there, double marked, and wonder why you can’t get a touch. Forward lines are always more dangerous when the dynamism increases.

He pushed wide and was involved in the build up when Konstand scored. 

We hardly got the ball past halfway when he was on the pitch in fairness anyway.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Adelaide's midfield lack some presence, needed Mauk out there.

What will Lopez bring in? Is he a creative player to replace Troisi?
sub007
sub007
World Class

Barca4Life - 21 Jan 2021 9:22 PM
Adelaide's midfield lack some presence, needed Mauk out there.

What will Lopez bring in? Is he a creative player to replace Troisi?

He’s pretty much spent his entire career at RB but can play as a CM so I can’t see him being a creative player. He was actually bought in before he left so he isn’t our Troisi replacement.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Dan_The_Red - 21 Jan 2021 5:20 PM

It can depend on what type of striker a player is.

A smaller mobile striker like Maclaren, needs to be creating dummy runs, quick diagonal and hooked runs,  change position and use a lot of checking to  open passing lanes or  to run onto through balls, because he isn't  great at holding  the ball up with his back to goal.

Juric on the other hand is more of a target player, a bigger unit with considerable strength and physical presence, who can match physicality with CBs and create physical body on body contests. His job would  probably be to have his back to their goal, hold the ball up, and lay the ball off to other mobile AU players as they get into advanced positions, running towards goal with their  body shape facing forwards .

If Juric was constantly marked by two CBs, then this creates a loose AU player somewhere else on the pitch - and - as the build ups develop, it creates an extra  offensive AU player in the attacking  third of the pitch.   I'd still be surprised if he didn't  attempt any efforts  to check though?

Coach's instructions might have been for Juric to stay in the central position, and up high, creating depth and a continuous target? Did the AU wingers invert?
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

After having look at the replay last night, there were some terrible collective defensive errors as a team unit from AU. I doubt, given what I've seen from AU this season and  late last winter season, it could happen again. It was a terrible night at the office for AU. 

Caletti has been  criticised  on here, but I think it was more of a question of Garcia cleverly  using a 4-2-2-2 in the first half, overloading  the   central midfield to outnumber AU 4 to 3. Hence, Caletti had to do a lot chasing being outnumbered.

I think it is more of a question that Veart or Ross Aloisi, who may have the defensive role as a coach, not changing the AU  formation to a 3-4-3  flat midfield, or 3-4-3 diamond shaped midfield, to negate the Glory overload in  this part of the pitch . 

The AU back 4, had the CBs marking space.

Late into game, when Caletti had more time on the ball I thought his distribution was excellent. Also, the late game performance of AU was rather good, where they overran a tiring Glory, possibly due to the Glory  structure  being less cohesive with all the subs.

I also thought Juric was decent too.
localstar
localstar
Pro

Dukuly couldn't get past his markers whether on the right side or when switched to the left. When he did get past he ran the ball out. Doesn't seem ready for first team football yet.
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 22 Jan 2021 9:51 AM
After having look at the replay last night, there were some terrible collective defensive errors as a team unit from AU. I doubt, given what I've seen from AU this season and  late last winter season, it could happen again. It was a terrible night at the office for AU. 

Caletti has been  criticised  on here, but I think it was more of a question of Garcia cleverly  using a 4-2-2-2 in the first half, overloading  the   central midfield to outnumber AU 4 to 3. Hence, Caletti had to do a lot chasing being outnumbered.

I think it is more of a question that Veart or Ross Aloisi, who may have the defensive role as a coach, not changing the AU  formation to a 3-4-3  flat midfield, or 3-4-3 diamond shaped midfield, to negate the Glory overload in  this part of the pitch . 

The AU back 4, had the CBs marking space.

Late into game, when Caletti had more time on the ball I thought his distribution was excellent. Also, the late game performance of AU was rather good, where they overran a tiring Glory, possibly due to the Glory  structure  being less cohesive with all the subs.

I also thought Juric was decent too.

Sorry but I Caletti just isn't up to standard. Hostile glaring lack of pace remains historically glass ceiling, and his his lack of of height means scant physical presence. 
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

localstar - 21 Jan 2021 6:51 PM
Decentric 2 - 21 Jan 2021 5:12 PM

Hope he doesn't handle the ball too much!

He apparently flopped at Brisbane- another performance like last night's in Perth and he will be in trouble at Adelaide.

Come back to Caletti's lack of pace. He simply doesn't have the capacity to chase most players down once they are past him.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

charlied - 22 Jan 2021 10:26 AM

Sorry but I Caletti just isn't up to standard. Hostile glaring lack of pace remains historically glass ceiling, and his his lack of of height means scant physical presence. 

Again why Australian football's obsession with strength and size with our players, there is nothing players could do if they cant grow a inch or two taller.

I look at recent examples in Nisbet and Devlin, the former mentions how difficult it was for him but it shows with hard he worked just to get a chance.

Based on that Lionel Messi would never get a look in Australia as he would be 'too small', this isnt the NRL or AFL.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

localstar - 22 Jan 2021 10:20 AM

Dukuly couldn't get past his markers whether on the right side or when switched to the left. When he did get past he ran the ball out. Doesn't seem ready for first team football yet.

The kid is 18, he's more than ready for Veart and coaching staff but what does it achieve by sitting on the bench and where will he play? 
sub007
sub007
World Class

Barca4Life - 22 Jan 2021 11:54 AM
localstar - 22 Jan 2021 10:20 AM

The kid is 18, he's more than ready for Veart and coaching staff but what does it achieve by sitting on the bench and where will he play? 

Disagree.

He’s clearly talented and will have a big future but he shouldn’t be starting games, especially as the likes of Niyongabire and M Toure are better and contributing a lot more than he is.

Keeping him in the team would be unfair on those who are actually performing but have to sit in the bench. 

He can come off the bench and play for our NPL team.

Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

charlied - 22 Jan 2021 10:26 AM

Agree Caletti lacks pace.

However, in a two person defensive midfield paired with a quicker, bigger DM, rugged ball winner, like a Mark Milligan, in a defensive midfield triangle variation of 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1,  Caletti is quite an asset in Ball Possession  in patient build ups  going  forwards. Caletti has been deployed as deep lying playmaker, or controlling midfielder, and could possibly play as number 10/ attacking mid too.

When I allude to handling speed, that is the speed of a player to receive the ball  and pass it on. Because of his quick handling speed, Caletti can operate better in less time and space than many other A L past players.

His weakness, as you rightly  claim, is speed over the turf  when  he has to chase in Ball Possession Opposition running towards his own goal.

All players have weaknesses though.  If we use a range of football specific performance criteria to evaluate a player, I think Caletti  has the game sense, quick enough speed of thought, and ability to read the game  to compensate for his lack of speed  over the turf.

In 2008, Caletti's skill set was rare in Australian football. The Baan/Berger TD regime in Aus wanted to develop players like Caletti is now.

The A L is evolving from an overly rugged second ball league, to a more technical  and tactically sound league.  I think there is a place for diminutive players like Caletti, in the  right game plans.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

On last comment about game,  Garcia executed an excellent game plan, which Veart/Aloisi were slow to respond to. It won the game for Glory.

Also, at about the 4 or 5 minute mark, I watched some excellent structured possession in the build up, or  even interplay, on the left side of the pitch for  AU. The last player in the sequence was Juric on the left. 

I thought it was  one  of the best football sequences I've seen played in the A L,  that didn't result in a goal. There was a lot of quick one and two touch passing, in confined spaces where the ball moved from left back to about left wing, but closer to the half way line at the end.

I can't tell you who the other  AU players were apart from Juric being the last payer in the sequence. It was very, very slick though.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

The  goal that Toure scored, what was the name of the player who provided the assist? It was a neat goal.

D'Agostino's goals, were  from being in the right place at the right time. Credit to him, he read the play well enough to be in those positions.

Daniel Stynes and Carlo Amienta were also impressive young Glory players, who are both under 23 too.
sub007
sub007
World Class

Decentric 2 - 22 Jan 2021 1:33 PM
The  goal that Toure scored, what was the name of the player who provided the assist? It was a neat goal.

D'Agostino's goals, were  from being in the right place at the right time. Credit to him, he read the play well enough to be in those positions.

Daniel Stynes and Carlo Amienta were also impressive young Glory players, who are both under 23 too.

Pacifique Niyongabire. He’s Elvis Kamsoba’s younger and supposedly more talented younger brother.

Armiento used to play for Adelaide too but Gertjan Verbeek didn’t seem to rate him so he left.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search