Official South Melbourne FC thread

Official South Melbourne FC thread

Author
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Monoethnic Social Club - 23 Jan 2021 10:22 PM
PIFA - 23 Jan 2021 12:35 PM

Dont know if he played today but your boys thumped them 1-4 at OV, so Knights must be doing something right. I thinks its going to be a tough year for the Bergers this year. As for Altona, on paper they are building an interesting squad but Im not convinced, theyve looked good on paper before but..... who knows? 4 weeks to go almost...... cmon.

It appears we've signed a Welsh striker from NPL SA, with him arriving from Adelaide Raiders. There's big wraps on him apparently, as he's played in Sweden and the US, and he scored against Real Betis in a pre-season game while he was in the US. Sounds like an upgrade on Hamish Watson to me, who I thought hindered our style of play. He scored goals, which was great, but he was just a battering ram.

Bergers haven't announced too much for 2021, but I saw a graphic with some of their signings, and it looks like they've gone interstate quite a bit. Okada coming in from Rockdale, looks like they've got John Roberts too, whilst they got a lad from Gold Coast United and another lad from Brisbane who spent time with WBA in England.

I'm most interested to see how Markovski keeps everything together at Altona. They've certainly built a formidable squad, but I'm sure there'll be some big personalities there too, so keeping everyone happy might be a bit tough.

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Dont know if he played today but your boys thumped them 1-4 at OV, so Knights must be doing something right. I thinks its going to be a tough year for the Bergers this year. As for Altona, on paper they are building an interesting squad but Im not convinced, theyve looked good on paper before but..... who knows? 4 weeks to go almost...... cmon.

I think we should know by now to never take pre season results seriously, we went into round 1 last season with a lot of hype behind us, an unfit and unready heidelberg team still beat us 0-3, it seems like they are behind in pre season again and they have about 8 new players they need to gel, I’d back Katsakis to get it right when it actually counts.

Altona and knights are probably the 2 clubs to benefit most from the Covid reset as they both looked in contention to join eastern lions in a relegation scrap in 2020.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 22 Jan 2021 9:32 PM

They signed Kenny Athiu? To be honest: I don't rate him at all. He seems a nice enough lad, and all-round a good bloke, but I just don't think he's that good of a striker. It'll be interesting to see where they fit him in, as they have Chris Lucas too, so maybe they're playing a front 3 with it being: Lucas on the right, Kenny central, Kuzmanovski on the left. Altona clearly mean business this season after not looking their greatest before the lockdown, and I only wish that we [MK] were making the same type of moves. We're still not at the stage of announcing much, which is quite frustrating tbh.

Oldfield was rumoured to be on big coin at Avondale, so maybe they're tightening the purse strings there, or he's gotten a better offer elsewhere. Sekiya has also headed home to Japan after his loan move to Olympic FC in NPL QLD, so he won't be back for them either.

Edit: did you see that Dane Milovanovic has signed for Heidelberg? Solid signing for them imo, he'll anchor their midfield nicely.

I thought Kenny was quality back around 2016-17, scored lots of goals and his ability in general play was at a decent level. The reality is that was 4-5 years ago and his confidence will be shot to pieces these days, hasn’t played much the last few years so I think Altona need to be cautious and not automatically believe they’re going to get the Kenny of half a decade ago.
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

southmelb - 24 Jan 2021 1:15 PM

I thought Kenny was quality back around 2016-17, scored lots of goals and his ability in general play was at a decent level. The reality is that was 4-5 years ago and his confidence will be shot to pieces these days, hasn’t played much the last few years so I think Altona need to be cautious and not automatically believe they’re going to get the Kenny of half a decade ago.

I agree, we've definitely benefited from the covid shutdown, and it appears that we've cleared out a lot of the deadwood.

I'm a bit annoyed that Joey Franjic was allowed to depart the club, as he's someone that always gave his all for us. I think he suffered a bad injury last season iirc, so maybe he's decided to walk away from it all, I dunno. I hope not: he's a good player to have in a squad. From what I've seen online, we still haven't announced who our head coach is, as Diogo Ferreira was announced as our assistant coach. Seen a lot of him in the pictures though, so maybe he's already been promoted.

Kenny is the stock standard NPL striker that's seemingly too good for NPL: not good enough for the A-League. Same as Boland, same as Dusan, and so on. He just didn't have the technical ability [his first touch was still atrocious when he was at MV] to adapt to not having as much time on the ball, having to be quite a bit sharper to maintain possession, etc. I wish him the best at Altona, but it really didn't surprise me that he didn't make it in the A-League.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

southmelb - 24 Jan 2021 1:08 PM

I think we should know by now to never take pre season results seriously, we went into round 1 last season with a lot of hype behind us, an unfit and unready heidelberg team still beat us 0-3, it seems like they are behind in pre season again and they have about 8 new players they need to gel, I’d back Katsakis to get it right when it actually counts.

Altona and knights are probably the 2 clubs to benefit most from the Covid reset as they both looked in contention to join eastern lions in a relegation scrap in 2020.

Yeah ol misery guts Katsakis is certainly a shrewd coach I agree. I also agree with you about preseason results, I haven't been to any of these this year for one reason or another..,just refreshing for Hellas to be going with a fairly competent strike partner up top for Sawyer (which I think will allow him to sit a little deeper off the CB and run at defence) rather than the old over the top to the tall #9 he clearly isnt good at. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

PIFA - 24 Jan 2021 11:53 AM

It appears we've signed a Welsh striker from NPL SA, with him arriving from Adelaide Raiders. There's big wraps on him apparently, as he's played in Sweden and the US, and he scored against Real Betis in a pre-season game while he was in the US. Sounds like an upgrade on Hamish Watson to me, who I thought hindered our style of play. He scored goals, which was great, but he was just a battering ram.

Bergers haven't announced too much for 2021, but I saw a graphic with some of their signings, and it looks like they've gone interstate quite a bit. Okada coming in from Rockdale, looks like they've got John Roberts too, whilst they got a lad from Gold Coast United and another lad from Brisbane who spent time with WBA in England.

I'm most interested to see how Markovski keeps everything together at Altona. They've certainly built a formidable squad, but I'm sure there'll be some big personalities there too, so keeping everyone happy might be a bit tough.

Ive given up on "big wraps" for  foreigners in NPL... Only one decent over the last 3 4 years was Olilie Minatel for me... all the rest were duds.
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Jan 2021 10:04 PM
PIFA - 24 Jan 2021 11:53 AM

Ive given up on "big wraps" for  foreigners in NPL... Only one decent over the last 3 4 years was Olilie Minatel for me... all the rest were duds.

I used to talk a bit with Philtzgerald Mbaka, who last I checked was playing in Switzerland. He did extremely well in Oman, but had the headache of heading to Romania and not being paid his wages. Good player imo, unsure of how he went with you guys. Think I saw Minatel playing in Canada recently, but didn't think much of him tbh.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 24 Jan 2021 10:11 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Jan 2021 10:04 PM

I used to talk a bit with Philtzgerald Mbaka, who last I checked was playing in Switzerland. He did extremely well in Oman, but had the headache of heading to Romania and not being paid his wages. Good player imo, unsure of how he went with you guys. Think I saw Minatel playing in Canada recently, but didn't think much of him tbh.

Ah Philtzgerald.... my cousin and I nicknamed him the "stealth" recruit... we never really saw anything from him. DIdnt really get any serious game time either. I really like Minatels work rate and dedication to his position and structure on the field more so than any "technical skill" to be honest. Yeah he is in Canada from what I know and back at home town club.... 
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Can we fuck this irrelevant shite off please. Stop living in your past. A league is the here and now.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 24 Jan 2021 11:02 PM
Can we fuck this irrelevant shite off please. Stop living in your past. A league is the here and now.

Season starts in a little over a month,  how is that living in the past?  Not my fault noone wants to talk about your little plastic franshise shite.. Im not stopping you., go right ahead. BTW "shite" is you still using that word in 2021. 
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Jan 2021 11:10 PM

Season starts in a little over a month,  how is that living in the past?  Not my fault noone wants to talk about your little plastic franshise shite.. Im not stopping you., go right ahead. BTW "shite" is you still using that word in 2021. 

It's a Scottish word ya fuckin halfwit.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 24 Jan 2021 11:27 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Jan 2021 11:10 PM

It's a Scottish word ya fuckin halfwit.

In Australia we speak English you malakismeno.
TheDjentleman
TheDjentleman
Hacker
Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Jan 2021 11:40 PM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 24 Jan 2021 11:27 PM

In Australia we speak English you malakismeno.

Anglos can't even see their own irony, I wouldn't bother mate lmaooooo

Everybodys favourite lurker.

PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

I like the fact he felt the need to come in here to tell us that the A-League is the 'here and now' :laugh: To me, I get a lot more satisfaction watching NPL football than I do watching an A-League game, and I don't think that'll ever change. At the end of the day, if we're all participating in supporting the game [and helping it to grow] at any particular level: who gives a f***.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

^^ This.  Bloody hell.

Imagine having the hide to have a thread in the Australian Football section of an Australian football website discussing an Australian football team.

Someone please think of the children.  

Member since 2008.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

PIFA - 25 Jan 2021 9:10 AM
I like the fact he felt the need to come in here to tell us that the A-League is the 'here and now' :laugh: To me, I get a lot more satisfaction watching NPL football than I do watching an A-League game, and I don't think that'll ever change. At the end of the day, if we're all participating in supporting the game [and helping it to grow] at any particular level: who gives a f***.

this so much in bold !

I support AL for the good of our game all round BUT my NPL is farfar more enjoyable for me due to our engagement and long time NPL supporters.
Having vested interest makes for such emotional highs and lows, we were at our local NPL3 ground Saturday night 2nd practice game of 6 or 8 prior to season start, loved every minute watching 20's followed by 1sts.
Thats our Saturday evenings booked out till end of season.
Happy to put money back into our local Clubs and will attend some SFC AL games when time permits.

Love Football

Edited
3 Years Ago by LFC.
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Shouldn't this topic be in the state league football section?  
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

TheDjentleman - 25 Jan 2021 2:09 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Jan 2021 11:40 PM

Anglos can't even see their own irony, I wouldn't bother mate lmaooooo

I wish I was tech savvy enough to type back to him in Greek.. lol.....
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

I totally, agree with your sentiment mate but with one amendment..... I follow a club, not a league.... South have been in the Vic State league, the NSL, the VPL and now the NPL..... If South were ever begged to join the Aleague I would then watch them there... we have to get over this whole pigeonholed soccer concept the Loweys lumped us with.... I too enjoy soccer at all levels but club comes above all......
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

LFC. - 25 Jan 2021 2:56 PM

this so much in bold !

I support AL for the good of our game all round BUT my NPL is farfar more enjoyable for me due to our engagement and long time NPL supporters.
Having vested interest makes for such emotional highs and lows, we were at our local NPL3 ground Saturday night 2nd practice game of 6 or 8 prior to season start, loved every minute watching 20's followed by 1sts.
Thats our Saturday evenings booked out till end of season.
Happy to put money back into our local Clubs and will attend some SFC AL games when time permits.

Well said mate...
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

JDB03 - 25 Jan 2021 3:26 PM
Shouldn't this topic be in the state league football section?  

Does it threaten you? Just ignore it if not interested.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 25 Jan 2021 9:54 PM
TheDjentleman - 25 Jan 2021 2:09 AM

I wish I was tech savvy enough to type back to him in Greek.. lol.....

That's because you are an Aussie and NOT Greek.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 26 Jan 2021 12:29 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 25 Jan 2021 9:54 PM

That's because you are an Aussie and NOT Greek.

Are you sure??? Dont you want me to go back to my own country?
Edited
3 Years Ago by Monoethnic Social Club
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Jan 2021 12:37 AM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 26 Jan 2021 12:29 AM

Are you sure??? Dont you want me to go back to my own country?

Never ever told you to do that , as you already are.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 26 Jan 2021 12:42 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Jan 2021 12:37 AM

Never ever told you to do that , as you already are.

Ummm wow, must admit I have no response to this.... Your right, I am. It just nice to hear someone say it once in a while. Thanks...  Now if only the FFA and certain posters on here felt the same way as you we could get on with uniting the whole football public in this country and stop all this ethnic bashing bullshit.
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

Just saw on our site that we announced back in November that Steve Bebic will be our head coach this season. No idea why I thought we hadn't announced someone yet :laugh: my bad! Got the Vic Cro Cup this weekend with North Geelong, Dandy City and St. Albans, which should be a nice event. I just hope that no club [league wide] suffers any serious injuries in the lead up to the season, as we've been starved of football for so long.

Saw that you guys announced a 3-year deal for a young lad today, only 16 iirc. Must have shown some serious potential to have gotten that kind of commitment from the club, so well done to SMFC.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

https://www.joinit.org/o/smfc
Get your 2021 memberships above. $220 for all home games AND a vote at the AGM .... 2020 members get a huge discount but most I have spoken too are paying the full amount anyway....
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 26 Jan 2021 5:45 PM
Just saw on our site that we announced back in November that Steve Bebic will be our head coach this season. No idea why I thought we hadn't announced someone yet :laugh: my bad! Got the Vic Cro Cup this weekend with North Geelong, Dandy City and St. Albans, which should be a nice event. I just hope that no club [league wide] suffers any serious injuries in the lead up to the season, as we've been starved of football for so long.

Saw that you guys announced a 3-year deal for a young lad today, only 16 iirc. Must have shown some serious potential to have gotten that kind of commitment from the club, so well done to SMFC.

Shame the Cro cup isnt Aus wide this year (or is it still planned for later?) So many dynamite clubs. we used to have the Hellenic cup  but it never got the crowds and interest you guys did. 
Were did you see the signing of the 16 year old by us? It's not anywehre I have seen? Who is it? I know a couple of the 20s are way younger than their fellow  teamates so maybe one of them?
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Jan 2021 10:24 PM
PIFA - 26 Jan 2021 5:45 PM

Shame the Cro cup isnt Aus wide this year (or is it still planned for later?) So many dynamite clubs. we used to have the Hellenic cup  but it never got the crowds and interest you guys did. 
Were did you see the signing of the 16 year old by us? It's not anywehre I have seen? Who is it? I know a couple of the 20s are way younger than their fellow  teamates so maybe one of them?

I thought I saw it on Facebook yesterday, but can't remember where. Think the lads name was Luke.

Regarding the Cro Cup, I think the issues regarding interstate travel atm will see it postponed for the time being. With potential quarantine stints, and so on, it'd be difficult for people from interstate to travel to participate for a weekend, only to have to have 2 weeks off work upon arrival home to quarantine. Hopefully it's able to be done later in the year, but I'm not sure that it will.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Does South Melbourne have problems with their active support at their stadium like victory and city have at Aami park? 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search