World Politics/Global Events

World Politics/Global Events

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
scubaroo - 3 Mar 2021 1:51 PM

To be fair id ban them because i just think they are absolutely terrible books.

You've got young kids don't you?  This is a wonderful book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh,_the_Places_You%27ll_Go!

Granted, in general, I'm not a fan either but when my kids were little I used to read them this book.  it's about finding your way in the world and seeing new things, not getting put off by troubles, not waiting around for things to happen, going through rough trots etc.  It's actually quite sophisticated. 

It's definitely a step up from the rest of the other stuff. Give it a go.  You'll be surprised.

http://benavidez5thgrade.weebly.com/uploads/8/6/7/3/86734958/oh-the-places-youll-go-by-dr-seuss.pdf

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 3 Mar 2021 1:46 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 3 Mar 2021 1:26 PM

Saw the other day Harry Shearer is not going to voice Dr Hibbert on the Simpsons because, you know, he's  black character and Shearer is white.  WTF?  Did anyone tell those complaining these aren't real people and it's a fictional show. SMH.

I get the lack of roles bit but give me one argument as to how a white guy voicing a black character is problematic?

Is it just me or is pigeonholing aspiring voice actors into their specific racial categories racist in itself?  We should be trying to move beyond this stuff not reinforce the perception that there are massive differences at play.

I'm all for increased diversity but it should happen organically

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 3 Mar 2021 3:00 PM
Munrubenmuz - 3 Mar 2021 1:46 PM

I get the lack of roles bit but give me one argument as to how a white guy voicing a black character is problematic?

Is it just me or is pigeonholing aspiring voice actors into their specific racial categories racist in itself?  We should be trying to move beyond this stuff not reinforce the perception that there are massive differences at play.

I'm all for increased diversity but it should happen organically

Yep.  It's not just you.  I agree.

My biggest gripe is 'cultural appropriation'.  Almost everything is culturally appropriated by almost everyone from somewhere.  It's fucking mental if you cop grief for wearing a Mandarin collared suit because you're 'culturally appropriating' Chinese culture to use just one example.  Fuck, better not tell the Beatles.

I mean FFS don't wear a shirt with buttons because that's cultural appropriation of whoever invented buttons. 

Don't moonwalk or do the Twist because you're culturally appropriating black culture.   

And on and on.

Give me a farking break.  Cocks.

Member since 2008.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 3 Mar 2021 3:17 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 3 Mar 2021 3:00 PM

Yep.  It's not just you.  I agree.

My biggest gripe is 'cultural appropriation'.  Almost everything is culturally appropriated by almost everyone from somewhere.  It's fucking mental if you cop grief for wearing a Mandarin collared suit because you're 'culturally appropriating' Chinese culture to use just one example.  Fuck, better not tell the Beatles.

I mean FFS don't wear a shirt with buttons because that's cultural appropriation of whoever invented buttons. 

Don't moonwalk or do the Twist because you're culturally appropriating black culture.   

And on and on.

Give me a farking break.  Cocks.

Cultural appropriation is the worst concept of the lot and it really illustrates how ignorant people who think this way are.

The things we look at as the best of modern 'Culture' come from people from intermingling groups adopting practices, fashion, music etc they have witnessed others use. 

Furthermore nobody owns a culture, not even as a collective group. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 3 Mar 2021 2:27 PM
scubaroo - 3 Mar 2021 1:51 PM

You've got young kids don't you?  This is a wonderful book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh,_the_Places_You%27ll_Go!

Granted, in general, I'm not a fan either but when my kids were little I used to read them this book.  it's about finding your way in the world and seeing new things, not getting put off by troubles, not waiting around for things to happen, going through rough trots etc.  It's actually quite sophisticated. 

It's definitely a step up from the rest of the other stuff. Give it a go.  You'll be surprised.

http://benavidez5thgrade.weebly.com/uploads/8/6/7/3/86734958/oh-the-places-youll-go-by-dr-seuss.pdf

Yeah mate, 3yo daughter,  my wife has all the dr seuss books from when she was little (she loves them), i refuse to read them to my daughter,  i just find them tedious and awful to read, hated them so much as a kid and even more so now. 

Muz
Muz
Legend

'Cultural appropriation'.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/woolworths-to-change-chicken-boomerang-wings-to-vwings-after-cultural-appropriation-claims/news-story/ed2633c123e6df180a56991b3afb5844

Member since 2008.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

Its almost a competition to get real life as close to satire as possible.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

A great take here by John Oliver on the Israel-Palestine situation.

https://twitter.com/abierkhatib/status/1394273443860951047?s=21

Muz
Muz
Legend

In a thousand years time this whole area/war/occupation/homeland will still be a thing.

Will never be resolved.

Member since 2008.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 19 Dec 2020 5:07 PM
Fucking China again up to more bullshit.

They are a scourge on the earth who give no fucks to any rules or regulations.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-18/how-china-is-plundering-the-worlds-oceans/12971422

The above from way back has been wrong wrong wrong yet they keep getting away with it to this day.

Here's something that may stir the pot IF western countries can get it together and whoever else thinks to tag along.
Forget its Pelosi but the directive is a good call to arms........
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/pelosi-says-us-should-diplomatically-boycott-2022-olympics-china-2021-05-18/

Love Football

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

An enemy should be caressed or annihilated said Machiavelli.  

With that in mind what should Israel do?  

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 21 May 2021 6:59 PM
An enemy should be caressed or annihilated said Machiavelli.  

With that in mind what should Israel do?  

Not invade land that's not theirs, not violate international law and not committing war crimes.

Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

sub007 - 22 May 2021 1:28 PM
ErogenousZone - 21 May 2021 6:59 PM

Not invade land that's not theirs, not violate international law and not committing war crimes.

Sometimes I like to ask questions where I already know what the answer is going to be.

Edited
3 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Kabul to fall to the Taliban in the next 24 hours, the airport already in their hands after President Ghani flees.
Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

After a 20 year hiatus, Taliban head football will be returning for a new season

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Muz
Muz
Legend

dirkvanadidas - 16 Aug 2021 12:46 AM
After a 20 year hiatus, Taliban head football will be returning for a new season

Absolutely criminal. Writing was on the wall when they starting negotiating with the Taliban with the Afghan government barely involved. 

Besides the trillions spent and the wasted lives you do have to wonder why the army was so unwilling to fight. Poor training, lack of motivation, wanted the Taliban back in charge?

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

In the world cup of countries defeating occupying forces that's 3 blot.

Britain
Russia
USA

Member since 2008.

Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Absolute, unmitigated disaster that we have to take responsibility for. Whatever you think about whether we should have went there, once there we were obligated to stay. To leave when we did because we didn't want to bear the cost is unconscionable. Now it's the Afghani people who will bear a far greater cost than if we just left them alone in the first place.
Muz
Muz
Legend

Kamaryn - 16 Aug 2021 11:12 AM
Absolute, unmitigated disaster that we have to take responsibility for. Whatever you think about whether we should have went there, once there we were obligated to stay. To leave when we did because we didn't want to bear the cost is unconscionable. Now it's the Afghani people who will bear a far greater cost than if we just left them alone in the first place.

By 'we' you mean the US because we do whatever they want and have nowhere near the capacity for a prolonged occupation by ourselves.

They fucked up Vietnam, they fucked up Iraq, created Isis, stood by and watched Syria burn.

The last time they got anything right when it comes to 'nation building' was the Marshall Plan 74 years ago.

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Problem is, the military industrial complex would never want to leave and set the situation up for failure. 20 years and billions in training and the Afghan army fled? 

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 16 Aug 2021 12:14 PM

By 'we' you mean the US because we do whatever they want and have nowhere near the capacity for a prolonged occupation by ourselves.

They fucked up Vietnam, they fucked up Iraq, created Isis, stood by and watched Syria burn.

The last time they got anything right when it comes to 'nation building' was the Marshall Plan 74 years ago.
The Marshall Plan, as a continuation of the colonial carving up of the spoils of war at Yalta, led to a brutal civil war in Greece which is still dividing the country 74 years later. You may call it "getting it right" but the minute Scobie sent British paras to fight on the side of Nazi Security Battalions in Athens in 44 to keep out the "red peril" and then had to call on their 'murican saviours to drop napalm on the irregular Greek Democratic Army in the mountains of Grammos and Vitsi a precedent of US interference in global politics post WW2 began. Greece, Korea, Inodchina, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, Cyprus, Panama, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia...... the list goes on and on and on .... Although, to defend your comment ....
The Marshall Plan was the reason a generation of Southern Europeans left their homelands and wound up forming soccer clubs in Australia ..... so it wasn't all bad :)

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

The Marshall Plan, as a continuation of the colonial carving up of the spoils of war at Yalta, led to a brutal civil war in Greece which is still dividing the country 74 years later. You may call it "getting it right" but the minute Scobie sent British paras to fight on the side of Nazi Security Battalions in Athens in 44 to keep out the "red peril" and then had to call on their 'murican saviours to drop napalm on the irregular Greek Democratic Army in the mountains of Grammos and Vitsi a precedent of US interference in global politics post WW2 began. Greece, Korea, Inodchina, Laos, Burma, Vietnam, Cyprus, Panama, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia...... the list goes on and on and on .... Although, to defend your comment ....
The Marshall Plan was the reason a generation of Southern Europeans left their homelands and wound up forming soccer clubs in Australia ..... so it wasn't all bad :)

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 16 Aug 2021 10:22 AM

Absolutely criminal. Writing was on the wall when they starting negotiating with the Taliban with the Afghan government barely involved. 

Besides the trillions spent and the wasted lives you do have to wonder why the army was so unwilling to fight. Poor training, lack of motivation, wanted the Taliban back in charge?

As reprehensible as they are the Taliban clearly fight for something they believe in and are willing to die for it. 

Same can't be said for the security forces of the government. Seems the only genuine resistance to the Taliban came via provincial warlords. 

Australia has a moral obligation to not just those who worked for our defence forces but the thousands of people (especially women) who will probably now die or be forced into slavery because they dared to get an education. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 16 Aug 2021 1:38 PM

lol

We could be talking about thermodynamics or cold fusion and you'd still somehow manage to push the conversation towards South Melbourne. 

Genuinely impressed 😉

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Muz
Muz
Legend

Hahaha. Longest bow ever.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

sydneyfc1987 - 16 Aug 2021 2:09 PM

lol

We could be talking about thermodynamics or cold fusion and you'd still somehow manage to push the conversation towards South Melbourne. 

Genuinely impressed 😉

^^^
Also this.

Member since 2008.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

sydneyfc1987 - 16 Aug 2021 2:09 PM

lol

Genuinely impressed 😉
Oh c'mon. Regardless of which side of the political spectrum your beliefs lie, the Marshall Plan concocted by Truman, was an economic recovery plan designed to fortified war ravaged Europe against the the rising tide of Bolshevism. Not just South Melbourne and the Greeks mate, pretty much ALL of post war European migration to Australia is a direct result of the political and social implications of dividing an agrarian society based on urban political systems...
Truman, in effect is the reason why we had the NSL and Australia's first national football league to begin with.........

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 16 Aug 2021 3:18 PM

Hahaha. Longest bow ever.

Your right, the Marshall plan did NOT lead to the civil war in Greece, that was Winston "genocide" Churchill's legacy I agree but the fact is that the tiny corrupt, proto fascist Greek government of the mid 40s was at the front of the cue accepting military and financial aid with the payback being they must crush left wing ideology in Greece and allow the Americans to set up military bases in key strategic points in the Aegean and allow them the perfect excuse to test their new weapons against those dirty Communist freedom fighters in the mountains of Greece. Scobie and the Britts, when they first saw the Jet bombers dropping barrels of Napalm on the communists (20 years before Oliver Stone and Francis Ford Copola made biopics about it being used in Vietnam) beat a hasty retreat and left the good 'ol Yankee army to it. Ill try and find the actual invoice the American army sent to the Greek government after the first drops, it was floating around the internet a few years ago ----- gruesome reading describing how many barrels dropped, how long the jets where in the air and how many "crispy critters' it created..... Marshall Plan may have helped rebuild Germany (money for Nazi technology and the results of 15 years of unethical mental and physical "experimentation" by the 3rd Reich more like it) but it also helped destroy the rest of Europe to some degree.
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 16 Aug 2021 10:22 AM

The political leadership of the five eyes nations is very poor and combined with suppine EU doesn't bode well for future Sino events

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

How’s trump releasing 5000 taliban soldiers and then released a statement saying they support withdrawal now they are all up in arms? 

Also all the yank soldiers saying ‘what did we give our lives for?’ Yes you morons, you should’ve asked yourself that question about every war and why you’d join the us army. You are pawns and kill people for rich families’ portfolios. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search