PARAMOUNT/10 secure Socceroos/Matildas/FFA Cup/Asian Champions League rights

PARAMOUNT/10 secure Socceroos/Matildas/FFA Cup/Asian Champions League...

Author
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
kaufusi - 8 Nov 2021 11:39 AM
Davide82 - 8 Nov 2021 9:34 AM

My brand new tv originally came with a 10 all access app, or called something similar to that. After an update it became Paramount+ and i've had it for months now. Works great. The app will be getting a facelift once aleague launches too

Interesting.
Does yours run Android? LG and Samsung teles have their own setup.

Next time I'm there I'll see if I can find anything under 10 but I did all the software updates etc so you'd think it would be listed under Paramount if it was available.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Davide82
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

So I helped mum buy a new tele on the weekend.
Still no paramount app available in Australia. Maybe if it runs android but this is a brand new LG tv.

Even apps like BritBox are on there.
She's not the sort that's about to start attaching laptops hdmi or blah blah casting

This doesn't seem very good a few weeks out from the season.

This is probably more of an LG issue rather than a Paramount issue. LG choose to use WebOS rather than the far more advanced Android TV. This means that Paramount would need to develop an App specifically for WebOs which is the least common TV OS. Paramount may do one at some point, but they need to focus on the majority first which is Android and Samsung Tizen. My advice would be to return the LG and pickup either a Sony or Samsung (or one of the budget brands using Android like TCL or Hisense). As long as LG use WebOS on their TV's they'll continue to fall behind. If you stick with the LG you will need to stream Paramount via a phone using Chromecast or Apple AirPlay. 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

someguyjc - 8 Nov 2021 12:26 PM

This is probably more of an LG issue rather than a Paramount issue. LG choose to use WebOS rather than the far more advanced Android TV. This means that Paramount would need to develop an App specifically for WebOs which is the least common TV OS. Paramount may do one at some point, but they need to focus on the majority first which is Android and Samsung Tizen. My advice would be to return the LG and pickup either a Sony or Samsung (or one of the budget brands using Android like TCL or Hisense). As long as LG use WebOS on their TV's they'll continue to fall behind. If you stick with the LG you will need to stream Paramount via a phone using Chromecast or Apple AirPlay. 

Aha that's some staunch defending when every other streaming service is on the platform but this one................

My sister has a new samsung and the app wasnt on there as of a month or so ago but hopefully that's changed. (EDIT - a google search appears it's still not).

Not on Samsung or LG sounds like a Paramount issue to me. They launched in August.

It also seems like the American version of Paramount works on their LGs since 2018 so SURELY they have some background knowledge on how to code for it.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Davide82
Veritas
Veritas
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)

Davide82 - 8 Nov 2021 12:34 PM

Aha that's some staunch defending when every other streaming service is on the platform but this one................

My sister has a new samsung and the app wasnt on there as of a month or so ago but hopefully that's changed. (EDIT - a google search appears it's still not).

Not on Samsung or LG sounds like a Paramount issue to me. They launched in August.

It also seems like the American version of Paramount works on their LGs since 2018 so SURELY they have some background knowledge on how to code for it.

1. The Paramount Plus app is the 10 All Access app reconfigured.  If your device didn't have access to the 10 All Access app then I would guess you are in for a considerable wait.

2. I bought a Hisense smart TV some time ago and discovered that when new apps were released I wasn't able to get them due to the cheap and dodgy operating system.  Eventually I bought a Chromecast with Google TV ($99 with remote) and now I can get all the android TV streaming regardless of my TVs OS.  Lesson - Go buy a cheap dumb TV with a HDMI point and a Chromecast (Total cost way cheaper then a Smart TV) and you can stream just about anything. (Chromecast with Google TV isnt really casting coz you just plug it into the HDMI slot.)
Edited
3 Years Ago by Veritas
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Yeah my bad, I just read that also. Must be a Paramount Australia thing. 
That being said, sometimes new apps don't just show up automatically, even after a firmware update. Sometimes they make you install the apps manually via the TV's app store.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Veritas - 8 Nov 2021 1:52 PM

(Chromecast with Google TV isnt really casting coz you just plug it into the HDMI slot.)

Yeah my tv is old and pretty cheap so have always just used HDMI from laptop

I've been meaning to clarify your point here before the season starts though.
If I do it this way will I still need to have it going on my phone/laptop or is that a totally independent unit?

I know it sounds like a silly 1st world problem but I don't like casting from my phone and running down the battery etc if I just want the non Adelaide United games just on in the background etc
Veritas
Veritas
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)Hardcore Fan (253 reputation)

Davide82 - 8 Nov 2021 3:19 PM

If I do it this way will I still need to have it going on my phone/laptop or is that a totally independent unit?

I know it sounds like a silly 1st world problem but I don't like casting from my phone and running down the battery etc if I just want the non Adelaide United games just on in the background etc

I have had it about a year now. For the initial setup you need a smartphone with the Google Home app installed.  I believe this is so it will run on compatible google devices.  Since then I haven' t needed anything except the supplied remote (which also turns the tv on and off, adjusts the volume etc.)

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Davide82 - 8 Nov 2021 3:19 PM

Chromecasts are pretty much independent. Your phone is a just kinda like a remote (sort of). Chromecasts are designed to be used with your home wifi connection. When running apps like Youtube, Netflix, Paramount, etc, they don't actually stream from your phone. Your phone only tells the chromecast what to play and the chromecast does the rest. You won't experience any additional battery drain on your phone at all. 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Thanks guys - I will go this route before Rd1.

Still feel bad for mum coz when I was looking online to see if paramount ran on LGs I read the USA site by mistake and told her it would be fine aha

She's not going to bother taking the tele back and loves it already so I still have my fingers crossed paramount sorts an app soon enough - genuinely I found an app for every service I could think of besides this one,
CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

+1 for Chromecast with Google TV - picked one up yesterday and it’s awesome
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
CHEP - 8 Nov 2021 4:00 PM
+1 for Chromecast with Google TV - picked one up yesterday and it’s awesome

Yeah have been using the standard chromecasts for years and have liked them but the google tv version is way better. Got the one with 6 months of netflix included. Makes the cost of the device pretty attractive.
https://store.google.com/au/config/chromecast_google_tv_netflix?hl=en-GB

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

Edited
3 Years Ago by mcjules
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Another big plus for the Chromecast is they are great to travel with. Anyone remember what it's like to travel? As a Victorian, I don't.
My old chromecast has come in handy many times when we've stayed in airb&b's that have wifi but have an older TV.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

someguyjc - 8 Nov 2021 5:02 PM
Another big plus for the Chromecast is they are great to travel with. Anyone remember what it's like to travel? As a Victorian, I don't.
My old chromecast has come in handy many times when we've stayed in airb&b's that have wifi but have an older TV.

Aha oh man I remember back in the day before bluetooth etc I used to take an RCA cable in my suitcase everywhere I went so I could plug a discman/mp3 player into the hotel room TV to listen to music.
mahony
mahony
Hacker
Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)

1. The Paramount Plus app is the 10 All Access app reconfigured.  If your device didn't have access to the 10 All Access app then I would guess you are in for a considerable wait.

2. I bought a Hisense smart TV some time ago and discovered that when new apps were released I wasn't able to get them due to the cheap and dodgy operating system.  Eventually I bought a Chromecast with Google TV ($99 with remote) and now I can get all the android TV streaming regardless of my TVs OS.  Lesson - Go buy a cheap dumb TV with a HDMI point and a Chromecast (Total cost way cheaper then a Smart TV) and you can stream just about anything. (Chromecast with Google TV isnt really casting coz you just plug it into the HDMI slot.)

Yep, Google have changed the game. Smart TV's are dead or will run Android....Google TV is smooth, easy to use, fits in your pocket ehwn travelling, constantly prioritised for app udates, integrated into the wider Google Assistant environment in your home..... No brainer!
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

mahony - 8 Nov 2021 5:49 PM

Yep, Google have changed the game. Smart TV's are dead or will run Android....Google TV is smooth, easy to use, fits in your pocket ehwn travelling, constantly prioritised for app udates, integrated into the wider Google Assistant environment in your home..... No brainer!

what they dont tell you is they scraping all your tv habits and selling them for a nice bit of cash $$$$ 10s of thousands actually.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

10 Football@10FootballAU
Get ready football fans, @TaraRushton will be joining Have You Been Paying Attention as Guest Quizmaster tonight!
#HYBPA 8.40 Tonight on 10 and 10 play on demand
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

bettega - 8 Nov 2021 7:14 PM
10 Football@10FootballAU
Get ready football fans, @TaraRushton will be joining Have You Been Paying Attention as Guest Quizmaster tonight!
#HYBPA 8.40 Tonight on 10 and 10 play on demand

Legend I’ve got it on now 
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)

Davide82 - 8 Nov 2021 5:19 PM
someguyjc - 8 Nov 2021 5:02 PM

Aha oh man I remember back in the day before bluetooth etc I used to take an RCA cable in my suitcase everywhere I went so I could plug a discman/mp3 player into the hotel room TV to listen to music.

I remember when you used to be able to just turn on your TV and watch television. Simpler times.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Hey all, can anyone tell me if I am able to "turn" my exisiting chromecast dongle into a 
Google TV like setup or do I need to get a new bit of gear?  Basically hate casting to the TV and would prefer a remote I can point to the telly and not have to keep pinching the kids tablets... Am I barking up the wrong tree.
Thanks in advance.
Veritas
Veritas
Hardcore Fan

Monoethnic Social Club - 8 Nov 2021 10:20 PM
Hey all, can anyone tell me if I am able to "turn" my exisiting chromecast dongle into a 
Google TV like setup or do I need to get a new bit of gear?  Basically hate casting to the TV and would prefer a remote I can point to the telly and not have to keep pinching the kids tablets... Am I barking up the wrong tree.
Thanks in advance.

You wont be able to upgrade - You need the "Chromecast with Google TV"

https://store.google.com/au/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-GB
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Veritas - 8 Nov 2021 10:38 PM

You wont be able to upgrade - You need the "Chromecast with Google TV"

https://store.google.com/au/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-GB

Thanks mate. I thought as much, just wanting to make sure.... 
mahony
mahony
Hacker
Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)Hacker (337 reputation)

jas88 - 8 Nov 2021 6:12 PM
mahony - 8 Nov 2021 5:49 PM

what they dont tell you is they scraping all your tv habits and selling them for a nice bit of cash $$$$ 10s of thousands actually.

They don't need to tell me, as I have weighed that up against the convenience, simplicity and the value of my time and I agree to the deal. #GrownUp
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ndl-80K3ZaU
"Whack" from Optus on A-league. For a streaming company they certainly dont spend alot of time talking about digital platforms, streaming targeted advertising logarithms and young demographic, desposable income streams......
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

They make some decent points.
We now have a fully professional league, plus many potential socceroos get soaked up by the Asian leagues, meaning bugger all players are striving to play for the top tier European leagues.
But back in their day, you'd play 2 or 3 seasons as a teenager in the NSL, and then put it all on the line to try and breakthrough overseas, it required you to risk it all, work your ass off as if your life depended on it.

df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)Rising Star (951 reputation)

bettega - 9 Nov 2021 11:06 PM
We now have a fully professional league, plus many potential socceroos get soaked up by the Asian leagues, meaning bugger all players are striving to play for the top tier European leagues.
But back in their day, you'd play 2 or 3 seasons as a teenager in the NSL, and then put it all on the line to try and breakthrough overseas, it required you to risk it all, work your ass off as if your life depended on it.

And during the whole time the NSL was around, the lack of a stable professional competition that could provide development pathways for local footballers was lamented. Instead talented players would leave for Europe while still teenagers. The lucky/good ones made it, but plenty of others were left on the scrapheap. The grass is always greener.
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

bettega - 9 Nov 2021 11:06 PM

Yeah, I swear we are the only country in the world who sees having a fully professional league as a bad thing for player development. The mentality of young players today is a lot different to those of the golden gen. The AL is far from perfect and has neglected youth until last season, no doubt. But giving players a chance in a professional environment is not a bad thing.

What players lack is someone to help them make correct club decisions for their development and not rush overseas. The irony is, since the AL leagues inception, most players who leave the AL with less than 80 games basically dont make it to a big league. Those that do have played in a big league, which is the bigger issue imo

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Thanks in advance.

Love casting to the TV. Search up a youtube vid and blammo, watch it on the TV.

Member since 2008.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 9 Nov 2021 10:55 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ndl-80K3ZaU
"Whack" from Optus on A-league. For a streaming company they certainly dont spend alot of time talking about digital platforms, streaming targeted advertising logarithms and young demographic, desposable income streams......

"Is this league that a rival streaming service has the rights for holding Australian football back?" 

FWIW plenty of good points made. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 10 Nov 2021 9:41 AM

Love casting to the TV. Search up a youtube vid and blammo, watch it on the TV.

I am a lazy old sod mate. I have a so called "smart" LG OLED and apps like Youtube, Netflix, Optus Sport etc are straight of the TV remote...... First world problems I know :)
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

sydneyfc1987 - 10 Nov 2021 9:42 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 9 Nov 2021 10:55 PM

"Is this league that a rival streaming service has the rights for holding Australian football back?" 

FWIW plenty of good points made. 

Yeah 100% this.... I agree, the whole "NSL wasn't that bad" shtick Optus Sport have got going screams of sour grapes. It is interesting though that former A-League associates are now strongly of the view that APL doesn't care about football development, only about profits... They certainly didnt seem to care too much when they where drawing a salary.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search