A league Semi Final 2022 thread

A league Semi Final 2022 thread

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Might as well have the one match thread for the four semi final games.

Tuesday victory vs western at Aami 

Wednesday Adelaide vs city at coopers 

saturday victory vs western at Aami 

Sunday city vs Adelaide at Aami 

what’s everyone’s predictions heading in?
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Bump 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I'm happier to face City than Victory.

While we haven't lost to City this season, it's taken some late miracles and Glover brain fades to achieve that.

City are at least full rested after their ACL campaign now so it's going to be a hell of a fight
Edited
2 Years Ago by Davide82
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

GO AUFC & WU

Love Football

Edited
2 Years Ago by LFC.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

From a Victory POV, i think we have the slightly easier opponent. But I think it'll be a derby GF. 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

2 legged semi finals are weird. 
Booney
Booney
Amateur
Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)Amateur (672 reputation)

On paper Victory should be too strong for the Lost Boys but if they can draw or lose by a single goal  tomorrow night then WU will worry them leading into the second match.

Adelaide outplayed CCM ,especially catching them on the fast break,and cleverly fouling them when they threatened,Can they repeat the game plan against City over two legs? Definitely possible especially if Glover is having one of his "special" games.Goodwin and Yengi could really test him and Bernado is a real threat as a sub.

I think a Victory v Adelaide GF is a distinct possibility.

SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Booney - 16 May 2022 2:33 PM
On paper Victory should be too strong for the Lost Boys but if they can draw or lose by a single goal  tomorrow night then WU will worry them leading into the second match.

Adelaide outplayed CCM ,especially catching them on the fast break,and cleverly fouling them when they threatened,Can they repeat the game plan against City over two legs? Definitely possible especially if Glover is having one of his "special" games.Goodwin and Yengi could really test him and Bernado is a real threat as a sub.

I think a Victory v Adelaide GF is a distinct possibility.

I'm hoping Brook finally gets his goal - he's looked dangerous every time he's played, but his end product isn't quite there for some reason. Loved watching AU's young lads play this season & Goodwin was robbed not winning the Tobin Medal 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

How does the scoring work for these games? Is it just goal aggregate at the end of the two games with the second game going to pens if the aggregate is equal? Hope they aren't doing that thing where away goals are worth double.

AU would be my pick to be leading after the first game. Over the last month or so, AU have been way better at converting their chances compared to where they were at the start/mid season. They are still making errors here and there but as long as they are converting those chances it should make up for errors. MC will be well rested, but haven't been convincing in their last few games. They only scraped in with the premiership via an own goal and a set piece. MC will need to be much better in these finals. They obviously have the quality, but I predict an uphill battle in the second game. I'd pick Gauci over Glover in a shoot out. Goodwin to have his shot saved. 

MV obviously have the advantage against WU. Well rested and pretty much two home games for MV. WU have been defensively strong but not great upfront. I don't think it'll be high scoring but MV in too good of a form to not pick them to win. That being said, I'd pick Young over Kelava in a shoot out.

AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Please tell me that Western's home game tonight is not at AAMI park. Otherwise, what is the point of 2-legs or the 'away' goals rule in that matchup?

Edited
2 Years Ago by AyyLeague
Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

I assume the APL would want victory in the final. 

Any other GF match up wouldn't sellout AAMI park. 

Bloody Lowy's
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

AyyLeague - 17 May 2022 10:13 AM
Please tell me that Western's home game tonight is not at AAMI park. Otherwise, what is the point of 2-legs or the 'away' goals rule in that matchup?

It’s actually a very stupid situation we’re in. Two games at Aami park what a joke the fan experience would be better for everyone if it was in Geelong. I really want the a league to succeed but I can’t defend western United or MacArthur anymore they are bringing the league down and taking the piss 
Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 17 May 2022 11:36 AM

It’s actually a very stupid situation we’re in. Two games at Aami park what a joke the fan experience would be better for everyone if it was in Geelong. I really want the a league to succeed but I can’t defend western United or MacArthur anymore they are bringing the league down and taking the piss 

What would happen if AC Milan and Inter drew each other in a champions league semi final??

Solano
Solano
Fan
Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)

someguyjc - 16 May 2022 4:11 PM
How does the scoring work for these games? Is it just goal aggregate at the end of the two games with the second game going to pens if the aggregate is equal? Hope they aren't doing that thing where away goals are worth double.

AU would be my pick to be leading after the first game. Over the last month or so, AU have been way better at converting their chances compared to where they were at the start/mid season. They are still making errors here and there but as long as they are converting those chances it should make up for errors. MC will be well rested, but haven't been convincing in their last few games. They only scraped in with the premiership via an own goal and a set piece. MC will need to be much better in these finals. They obviously have the quality, but I predict an uphill battle in the second game. I'd pick Gauci over Glover in a shoot out. Goodwin to have his shot saved. 

MV obviously have the advantage against WU. Well rested and pretty much two home games for MV. WU have been defensively strong but not great upfront. I don't think it'll be high scoring but MV in too good of a form to not pick them to win. That being said, I'd pick Young over Kelava in a shoot out.

There's no away goal rule.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Not easy finding this information, but the 'away goal rule' does not apply in these semi finals.
Semi finals winners determined by aggregate scoreline over two matches.
Which (I could be wrong but) would mean that a penalty shootout would only occur in the second game if the aggregate is a draw after the 90+30 minutes.

AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

someguyjc - 17 May 2022 11:58 AM

Not easy finding this information, but the 'away goal rule' does not apply in these semi finals.
Semi finals winners determined by aggregate scoreline over two matches.
Which (I could be wrong but) would mean that a penalty shootout would only occur in the second game if the aggregate is a draw after the 90+30 minutes.

But is that due to this season's matchup? Or has that always been a thing?

Butler99 - 17 May 2022 11:41 AM

What would happen if AC Milan and Inter drew each other in a champions league semi final??

That has happened twice in the UCLs history, the first being when AC Milan went on to win it in 2003.
The A-League hasn't had 2-Leg finals for 10 years, yet in its first season of reintroduction we have a Melbourne matchup at the same ground.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Looking at ticket prices:

WU are charging more for tonight's game than MV is charging on Saturday.
$28 for GA tonight, $25 for GA on Saturday.

AU are charging more for tonight's game than MC is charging for Saturday.
$31 for GA tonight, $30 for GA on Sunday.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

But both teams represent milan. Western is supposed to be representing west of melbourne they shouldn’t be playing at Aami 
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Going for MV & AU in the semis.
But I'd rather be wrong about the AU v MC result than the MV v WU result.

Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star

Melbcityguy - 17 May 2022 12:56 PM

But both teams represent milan. Western is supposed to be representing west of melbourne they shouldn’t be playing at Aami 

Well the initial complaints was that the same venue will be used for both legs of the semi finals. 

But the complaint is now about western United not playing in a venue that is not located in their catchment area now??
Ok. You should've said that in the first place instead of raising the issue about the "fan experience"

AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker

Melbcityguy - 17 May 2022 12:56 PM

Also not to mention that, given the A-L format, an AAMI Park Melbourne matchup is far more likely to occur than the Milan derby (especially since the UCL draws teams in the Round of 16 and Quarter-Finals).

Edited
2 Years Ago by AyyLeague
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Here we go 
SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Brimmer having a great game & now scores. Kilkenny playing well for WU
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Victory's time wasting this season has been an utter utter disgrace.

I haven't hated Victory this much in years 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Opposition coaches have had a go at him. 
Fans obviously. 
Now finally refs are wise to it. 
Too little too late.

There's no honour in winning the way they do
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Wales and Pain is a fairly weak wing combo for a team that's done as well as WU really.

Both OK players but the rest of the top 4 have much better wingers 
ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

That was a great hit by Brimmer.

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Butler99 - 17 May 2022 10:43 AM
I assume the APL would want victory in the final. 

Any other GF match up wouldn't sellout AAMI park. 

Bloody Lowy's

Been saying it for months now-

APL want a Victory v City GF. The other traditional rivalries in the league (The Big Blue/ The Sydney Derby/ F3D) have gone stale and the APL want to milk the emerging Melbourne derby for all its worth.

They also want the narrative about the Victory's amazing turnaround from wooden spooners just a season ago to GF contestants against the team who smashed them last year. Plus, take a shot every time they talk about how great it is to see Melbourne, after the COVID lockdowns and empty stadiums, with a sold out stadium in full voice.

Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne

Melbourne Melbourne

Melbourne

Melbourne.

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Are you suggesting they did anything to get what they wanted?

You're certainly implying it so I'm curious what that is... 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Brimmer has improved so much, hes 24 and after close to or over 100 a-league games and he looks like an different player to the one that started his a-league career (hint benefit of regular match minutes), great strike to go into the 2nd leg.

The fact that its no away goals will make it interesting, usually teams just close off but you cant really do that efficiently especially from evidence in the UEFA Champions League so I think it will be an interesting 2nd leg.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search