National second division is kicking off with or without FFA

National second division is kicking off with or without FFA

Author
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
petszk - 30 Jan 2023 11:25 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 30 Jan 2023 10:01 AM

The two most cashed up (from what I understand) would be Perth SC and Bayswater City.

They are also the only two WA clubs that are part of the 30 that signed off on that report last year.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

someguyjc - 30 Jan 2023 12:13 PM

They are also the only two WA clubs that are part of the 30 that signed off on that report last year.

That seems like a lifetime ago :(
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 30 Jan 2023 4:54 PM

That seems like a lifetime ago :(

Yes it does. However, believe it or not, that final report was less than a year ago in Feb last year (http://www.australianfootballclubs.org.au/media-releases/national-second-division-clubs-sign-off-on-final-report)
Also interesting is that was the last time AAFC posted anything on their website. Is that a sign they are working hard or hardly working?
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

someguyjc - 30 Jan 2023 5:20 PM

Yes it does. However, believe it or not, that final report was less than a year ago in Feb last year (http://www.australianfootballclubs.org.au/media-releases/national-second-division-clubs-sign-off-on-final-report)
Also interesting is that was the last time AAFC posted anything on their website. Is that a sign they are working hard or hardly working?

The whole thing is waiting for the FA to release the format and call for EOI's.

AAFC have all they can for now

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

numklpkgulftumch - 31 Jan 2023 12:00 AM

Its the hope that kills ya  :(
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Perfect timing for that would have been just after the WC, but hey what would I know.
Flytox
Flytox
Hacker
Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)Hacker (437 reputation)

someguyjc - 31 Jan 2023 10:45 AM

Perfect timing for that would have been just after the WC, but hey what would I know.

Someone misread the email.  Its happening just after the WWC.  ;)
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

this thread is funny 6 years on from the og article there is still no 2nd div  (with or without the FFA remember)
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

I thinks it's a sign of:  business as usual.

What I mean by that is that there is always someone, somewhere wanting to put up an alternative approach, a different way forward, a better way to it, "it should be done this way or not at all", etc, etc

There are many stakeholders, they all have different perspectives, and some are more powerful than others.

Expect one roadblock after another to negotiate.

Whatever eventuates, it will be full of compromises.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Flytox - 31 Jan 2023 10:47 AM
someguyjc - 31 Jan 2023 10:45 AM

Someone misread the email.  Its happening just after the WWC.  ;)

I'm talking about the format and EOI. The FA has indicated they want the NSD to commence March 2024. That's only 13 months away, and we know things move at a snail's pace at the FA. Any selected clubs would want at least 6 months (preferably more) to prepare for the competition. That means the EOI needs to happen now as we can assume the selection process will be a lengthy one. Especially if the number of clubs that meet the requirements far exceeds the target number.

numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

someguyjc - 31 Jan 2023 11:45 AM

I'm talking about the format and EOI. The FA has indicated they want the NSD to commence March 2024. That's only 13 months away, and we know things move at a snail's pace at the FA. Any selected clubs would want at least 6 months (preferably more) to prepare for the competition. That means the EOI needs to happen now as we can assume the selection process will be a lengthy one. Especially if the number of clubs that meet the requirements far exceeds the target number.

Sep 22

Johnson revealed to ESPN. "Where we go from here is the next stage in this process. And that is the EOI stage.

"So, our people right now are preparing EOI documents that will include what sort of standards the clubs will need to meet; whether it be stadia, financial, governance, in order to meet the standards that we would require to participate in that competition. We're moving into that next stage and we would expect the EOI to be set up and finalised by the middle of 2023.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

spot on !
Only in Australia.
The same applies in another sport I'm into, Supercars, its been 3 long years in the making launching its new change of car design and approvals and 1st race of the season announced for March 10.
To date the SC Pro teams have been at ducks and drakes in preparing new chassis/components just prior to Christmas past and the aero package still isn't approved and won't be by the look of it for another few weeks.
Testing is delayed etcetc
Its like going to a gun fight with with no bullets for the competitors.

HTF can any organisation tick the GO for a new comp without the current Semi Pro Clubs throwing their hat in the ring and newbies whoever is approved having time to prepare, their facilities to be set up with better lighting, expand their seating and undercover, lining up new and current sponsers without at least a year in advance having all the ducks in line.

Love Football

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

numklpkgulftumch - 31 Jan 2023 12:30 PM

Sep 22

Johnson revealed to ESPN. "Where we go from here is the next stage in this process. And that is the EOI stage.

"So, our people right now are preparing EOI documents that will include what sort of standards the clubs will need to meet; whether it be stadia, financial, governance, in order to meet the standards that we would require to participate in that competition. We're moving into that next stage and we would expect the EOI to be set up and finalised by the middle of 2023.

Thanks. I must have missed that one.
'By the middle of 2023' is pretty vague. Could mean next month, could mean end of July. If the EOI doesn't go out before April, there is no way the comp will commence in March 2024.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

someguyjc - 31 Jan 2023 12:52 PM
numklpkgulftumch - 31 Jan 2023 12:30 PM

Thanks. I must have missed that one.
'By the middle of 2023' is pretty vague. Could mean next month, could mean end of July. If the EOI doesn't go out before April, there is no way the comp will commence in March 2024.

I would assume that a few "quiet conversations" have taken place prior and some early planning is going on in clubland... Depends on the format but most would just need time to re-vamp squads (in Jan trading window) and re negotiate with exiting/new sponsors for more funding to pay for better coaches/players.... The "bones" are already there so 6-8 months would be a fair amount of time I reckon...... 
RoyalDave
RoyalDave
Hacker
Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)Hacker (399 reputation)

RedStar have ambition to play on the national stage - they're just not ready for it - however by the time this thing launches they might well be.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 31 Jan 2023 2:30 PM
someguyjc - 31 Jan 2023 12:52 PM

I would assume that a few "quiet conversations" have taken place prior and some early planning is going on in clubland... Depends on the format but most would just need time to re-vamp squads (in Jan trading window) and re negotiate with exiting/new sponsors for more funding to pay for better coaches/players.... The "bones" are already there so 6-8 months would be a fair amount of time I reckon...... 

I'd assume more than a few 'quiet conversations' have happened. I reckon clubs would much prefer 8 months of prep. 6 is doable, but there is no point rushing things. Especially if clubs are required to undertake certain upgrades to venues. With 8 months they may even get a decent pre-season. You are also making the assumption that the league will consist solely of existing clubs. I too hope that assumption is correct, but we cannot rule out the possibility of some 'new clubs' being selected. This is the FA after all. If that happens those clubs will want/need extra time to get ready.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

someguyjc - 31 Jan 2023 3:22 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 31 Jan 2023 2:30 PM

I'd assume more than a few 'quiet conversations' have happened. I reckon clubs would much prefer 8 months of prep. 6 is doable, but there is no point rushing things. Especially if clubs are required to undertake certain upgrades to venues. With 8 months they may even get a decent pre-season. You are also making the assumption that the league will consist solely of existing clubs. I too hope that assumption is correct, but we cannot rule out the possibility of some 'new clubs' being selected. This is the FA after all. If that happens those clubs will want/need extra time to get ready.

Yeah huge assumption on my part but a logical one, with such a short period of time to "get ready" I doubt a brand new entity would have time to arrange a ground, funding, admin, coaching staff, players for 1st squad, all the way doen to juniors for both women and men and sponsorship to foot the bill... Unless these conversations have already taken place and ready to go at the push of a button like WU was? who knows bud????

As for pre-season for existing clubs, dont forget, NPL season, with finals, should be done by end of September giving them a good 5 months to rest players, recruit staff and plan for the season ahead.. it wont be "from scratch".

I would also think (another huge assumption on my behalf) that clubs that know they are not going to be competing in their current league next year may take their foot of the peddle so to speak for the last few months knowing position on the table doesnt matter if they are "going up" anyway. Also helps to evaluate youth for next year, try a few crazy things structurally and not have to worry about results.... may be an interesting last year in the NPLs for some..... who knows.... ?
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 31 Jan 2023 3:33 PM
someguyjc - 31 Jan 2023 3:22 PM

I would also think (another huge assumption on my behalf) that clubs that know they are not going to be competing in their current league next year may take their foot of the peddle so to speak for the last few months knowing position on the table doesnt matter if they are "going up" anyway. Also helps to evaluate youth for next year, try a few crazy things structurally and not have to worry about results.... may be an interesting last year in the NPLs for some..... who knows.... ?

Is that the case though? Wouldn't many clubs still compete in the NPL, at least while the NSD is a stand alone comp, which as far as we know will be initially. Obviously if P&R is introduced between the NSD and NPL down the track it no longer makes sense, but until then you'd think clubs would want both a NPL and a NSD side.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

someguyjc - 31 Jan 2023 3:45 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 31 Jan 2023 3:33 PM

Is that the case though? Wouldn't many clubs still compete in the NPL, at least while the NSD is a stand alone comp, which as far as we know will be initially. Obviously if P&R is introduced between the NSD and NPL down the track it no longer makes sense, but until then you'd think clubs would want both a NPL and a NSD side.

Your guess is as good as mine mate.. Im operating on the assumption of pro/rel to NPL from day one but again .... who knows?
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Its interesting when you read page 11 of 50 re Growth Phase's.
Quoting P/R from the get go.
http://www.australianfootballclubs.org.au/uploads/9/8/8/1/9881717/aafc_nsd_final_report__22.02.22_.pdf

Love Football

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

LFC. - 31 Jan 2023 4:46 PM
http://www.australianfootballclubs.org.au/uploads/9/8/8/1/9881717/aafc_nsd_final_report__22.02.22_.pdf

Will be interesting how similar/different the final model ends up being. That report was probably more of a wish list. There will almost certainly be compromises as the FA will own and operate the league.
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro

LFC. - 31 Jan 2023 4:46 PM

Just an AAFC proposal.

Comments since haven't sounded like FA was going to go with it

PGR
PGR
Amateur
Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)

GDeathe - 31 Jan 2023 10:53 AM
this thread is funny 6 years on from the og article there is still no 2nd div  (with or without the FFA remember)

I continually laugh at that as well. I guess the tough little clubs find it more difficult and costlier than they assumed to executive their "without" bit.
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro

PGR - 31 Jan 2023 6:36 PM

I continually laugh at that as well. I guess the tough little clubs find it more difficult and costlier than they assumed to executive their "without" bit.

Not really

The FA have to approve it, they don't have to run it, same as the APL.

The FA have chosen to take charge of its creation, structure etc as they regard that as their responsibility 

In return for it being collaborative rather than adversarial, theoretically there is more chance of success.

However If the model FA choose is ridiculous, the AAFC have the option of boycotting and trying to do their own thing.

Looks like it will be a single division with a settling period for the initial entrants, followed by P/R with the state NPL, and the AAFC will go with that rather than pushing an abrasive alternative

PGR
PGR
Amateur
Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)

numklpkgulftumch - 31 Jan 2023 9:18 PM
PGR - 31 Jan 2023 6:36 PM

Not really

The FA have to approve it, they don't have to run it, same as the APL.

The FA have chosen to take charge of its creation, structure etc as they regard that as their responsibility 

In return for it being collaborative rather than adversarial, theoretically there is more chance of success.

However If the model FA choose is ridiculous, the AAFC have the option of boycotting and trying to do their own thing.

Looks like it will be a single division with a settling period for the initial entrants, followed by P/R with the state NPL, and the AAFC will go with that rather than pushing an abrasive alternative

All that makes sense. It appears the clubs have been prepared to forgo time, so their statement of urgency 'with or without' was a fake
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro

PGR - 31 Jan 2023 9:33 PM

All that makes sense. It appears the clubs have been prepared to forgo time, so their statement of urgency 'with or without' was a fake

Not at all

The FA had a choice to help or hinder. 

And given their failure to create a viable top tier along with FIFA's ongoing monitoring of the lack of opportunity for anyone else, FA's only option was just to delay it as  long as they can without looking absolutely inept or corrupt.

Such a shame that it took the threat to make the FA to crawl to this point.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PGR - 31 Jan 2023 9:33 PM

In all fairness Paulie, the fact that in 6 years a bunch of volunteers have at least "progressed" the issue to the point where it *almost seems like it is going to happen is remarkable.... The Aleague, in 18 seasons, for comparison, is still only at 11 Australian franchises and the future of 2-3 of those seem very shaky indeed. The wheels of soccer in this country move very very slowly.
Beretta
Beretta
Hacker
Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)

there will always be some excuse or road block from it starting. 

i wont believe it until i see it. 
petszk
petszk
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 30 Jan 2023 11:54 AM

Hahahahahaha no you spelled it wrong mate ... its "sokkahhhhhh" hahahahahaahah
I would love both to be in an NSD if possible, A Perth away day next year is just what the doctor ordered :)

I'd also love to see both teams in a 16 team NSD.
I'm still a doubter in terms of the financial realism of the NSD (don't get me wrong - I'd absolutely love to see the NSD get up and running, with existing clubs and P&R going both up to the A-League and down to the state leagues).

My guess is, if the NSD ever does happen, there would be only one WA side in it

numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro

https://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news/football-australia-opens-expressions-interest-national-second-tier-mens-competition
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search