When is a wonderkid a wonderkid and when are we just hyping them up. Why we really DO have reason...

When is a wonderkid a wonderkid and when are we just hyping them up....

Author
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
riquelmes_laces - 29 Apr 2024 10:01 AM
A wonderkid is a player who performs like he belongs at senior level football at the age of 16. 

That is generally my most basic definition. 

Late bloomers are an exception to the rule.

However, the real World Class players were performing at a high-level in senior football when they were teenagers. 

yes bud can't disagree, you see it by their poise on the ball and time and think wow this kid has it !
Its wonderful to see, pity we hardly deliver any them - Dukes was world class here by his poise and finish - HK was a wing speed machine with vision venom.
I love reviewing a player list like this and admire so many of these amazing footballers at young ages, some a bit later.
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/101-greatest-football-players-last-25-years-full-list

Love Football

jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Quicky - 25 Apr 2024 9:21 PM
Milligan would be an interesting one to analyse. His best club football was in Australia. Knocked around second tier or underwhelming Asian clubs + SPL in between. But a fantastic contributor to the NT. Probably an outlier with guys like Goodwin. 

I think Milligan could of played in a top 5 league.. he was one that suffered from Visa issues... just couldn't get enough socceroos game(due to Jedi coming through) to get him a visa to play overseas. Not making the asian cup squad in 2011 really crippled his chances.. he shouldn't of went to China so early. 

Having european grandparents/parents is huge for young aussie players. 
Edited
Last Month by jas88
riquelmes_laces
riquelmes_laces
Hacker
Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)Hacker (471 reputation)

A wonderkid is a player who performs like he belongs at senior level football at the age of 16. 

That is generally my most basic definition. 

Late bloomers are an exception to the rule.

However, the real World Class players were performing at a high-level in senior football when they were teenagers. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

patjennings - 29 Apr 2024 2:37 AM
Bunch of Hacks - 29 Apr 2024 2:14 AM

I agree with the 4 you mentioned - but I think there is a big gap to the second group - all great professional careers - but that is all - not close to world class

pj and BOH yer agree on the 4 on the 2 accolades mentioned, mind you I'm bit on the fence with Bozza for United was his chance to actually Prove he was world class for all to see than the paltry 23 games.
IF he actually have managed holding the GK role for a couple of seasons he could have been a Legend for the game and for us/aussies to talk about more as proven his worth.

The 2nd group as having the bigger gap is right and you can add in quite a few more of times having had very good pro careers, it was a great period for us and Aussie football.

Love Football

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 29 Apr 2024 2:14 AM
LFC. - 26 Apr 2024 11:55 AM

Johnston undoubtedly has the best team accolades but has no personal accolades. Also he nominated to play for England but was never picked, only a couple of B internationals. For me the combination of team and personal accolades along with his international exposure puts him ahead in my view. If it wasn't for Stuart Pearce Dorigo would have had over 50 caps for England. I'd probably argue Kewell was a greater player at his peak but never had any real team success (the freak 05 champions league aside where he was brought off injured) and his peak wasn't as long as Dorigo's . Anyway I think the only real world level players we've ever produced are Dorigo, Bosnich, Kewell and Viduka . Johnston, Okon, Zelic  Simunic, Scwarzer, Neill and Cahill especially were close. 

I agree with the 4 you mentioned - but I think there is a big gap to the second group - all great professional careers - but that is all - not close to world class
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 25 Apr 2024 11:57 PM

Me think Johnston is and has the best resume mentioned before.
By the way Grazor another piece considering this late bloomer scenario.
Let’s not forget it was more challenging travelling and lining things up compared to the modern days.
I would think this would askew the assumption so many GG and bit later bloomed as such in good leagues mid twenties.
Just a thought crossed my head.

Johnston undoubtedly has the best team accolades but has no personal accolades. Also he nominated to play for England but was never picked, only a couple of B internationals. For me the combination of team and personal accolades along with his international exposure puts him ahead in my view. If it wasn't for Stuart Pearce Dorigo would have had over 50 caps for England. I'd probably argue Kewell was a greater player at his peak but never had any real team success (the freak 05 champions league aside where he was brought off injured) and his peak wasn't as long as Dorigo's . Anyway I think the only real world level players we've ever produced are Dorigo, Bosnich, Kewell and Viduka . Johnston, Okon, Zelic  Simunic, Scwarzer, Neill and Cahill especially were close. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Bump past the spam
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

silly me, metcalf was born 1999 in november and played 31 games last season which puts him in category 1
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Let’s not forget it was more challenging travelling and lining things up compared to the modern days.
I would think this would askew the assumption so many GG and bit later bloomed as such in good leagues mid twenties.

Im wondering if it is due to a larger player pool. The gap between the nsl and the epl is roughly similar to the gap today where both have improved by roughly the same amount (i base this on the observation of wingers who get around 10 goals a season when still young having similar careers in both eras)

However, we have way more foreign players and less teams these days so a smaller pool at a similar relative level..

So today we have 11 oz clubs with 5 foreign players meaning a minimum of 66 players getting starts each week. 14 clubs with few foreign players means more than double the talent pool at the same relative level. 

It makes sense to have basically double the number of late bloomers (and to be honest double the amount in every category)

Expansion and an nst will hopefully put the playing pool up to yesteryear levels. I wish we went down to 4 foreign players outside the cap. An extra 11 starting spots is as many as 2 extra teams in termd of spots for aussies
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

The funny thing is I'd argue the greatest ever Australian produced player hasn't even been mentioned on here.. 

Tony Dorigo won league title with Leeds, season after won POTY. Was named in premier league team of the season, won player of the year at 3 other clubs including Aston Villa, Chelsea and Torino. 

Started in a World Cup third place placeoff game for England!! Would have been a bona-fide starter for England had he not played at the same time as Stuart Pearce who was close to the best left back in the world during that period. 

What a resume! 

Could argue Christian Vieri was Australian produced also 

Love Football

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Dorigo was a product of Adelaide City. Moved to Aston Villa as a 15 year old. Then Chelsea, Leeds etc.

Somehow the poms found English nationality for him.
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

The funny thing is I'd argue the greatest ever Australian produced player hasn't even been mentioned on here.. 

Tony Dorigo won league title with Leeds, season after won POTY. Was named in premier league team of the season, won player of the year at 3 other clubs including Aston Villa, Chelsea and Torino. 

Started in a World Cup third place placeoff game for England!! Would have been a bona-fide starter for England had he not played at the same time as Stuart Pearce who was close to the best left back in the world during that period. 

What a resume! 

Yep, after understanding his history, I would say he was developed here. Didn't move back to Italy until mid/late teens if I recall correctly?
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

What a resume! 

Crazy we were producing players even back then
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

What a resume! 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Quicky - 25 Apr 2024 9:11 PM
grazorblade - 25 Apr 2024 4:29 PM

That shows there are other pathways. Wilkshire had an excellent NT career. What Wilkshire got was lots of games early. Probably at an equal or better level than the A-League. 

indeed there are other paths to do well for the nt with milligan, wilkshire, goodwin and duke doing well for the nt despite never reaching a high club level. My analysis is regarding club success which doesnt always translate to nt success
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star
Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)

Milligan would be an interesting one to analyse. His best club football was in Australia. Knocked around second tier or underwhelming Asian clubs + SPL in between. But a fantastic contributor to the NT. Probably an outlier with guys like Goodwin. 
Edited
Last Month by Quicky
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star
Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)Rising Star (873 reputation)

grazorblade - 25 Apr 2024 4:29 PM
Quicky - 24 Apr 2024 9:52 PM

yeah I didn't count 3rd division (or I would count robertson and a bunch of others). If fc twente are a high enough level i could count him as a late bloomer. It's hard to place him since most late bloomers I put as either big 5 clubs or champions league regulars

That shows there are other pathways. Wilkshire had an excellent NT career. What Wilkshire got was lots of games early. Probably at an equal or better level than the A-League. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Bunch of Hacks - 25 Apr 2024 7:10 PM
Great write up. Missing a couple.. Skoko was a regular at Hadjuk whilst only 21 I believe. Neil kilkenny played over 20 prem games 1 season whilst only 20. Many others I can't think of yet. 

As you allude to the future looks bright for the socceroos playing stocks ... prob the most young guys we've had floating around Europe since after 2005 when the A league brought a lot of them home (and imo hurt our national pool). 

Give it 2 or 3 seasons but I think we will be close to fielding a starting 11 that is either in a top 5 league or CL/EL club. Even next season we will be close with .. 

Ryan (EL) 
         Souttar(?)  Burgess(top5) Circati(sA)
Atkinson (EL)  Irvine (top5) Luongo(Top5)  Bos (?)
                McGree (?)   Yengi (?)    Volpato (top5)

Bench.. Rowles (EL), Metcalfe (top5), Robertson(?), Irakunda (?), Toure (?). 

I've put a ? next to a few players whose futures are uncertain or may get a move up or get loaned out. 

Kilkenny's career was bizarre! 25 games for an epl club at u21 then never did much after that
I'll add skoko too. I wonder if the gg had many players that got early euro football and didn't kick on. There were a few in the a league era. Hard to tell whether it is more or less than expected
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Great write up. Missing a couple.. Skoko was a regular at Hadjuk whilst only 21 I believe. Neil kilkenny played over 20 prem games 1 season whilst only 20. Many others I can't think of yet. 

As you allude to the future looks bright for the socceroos playing stocks ... prob the most young guys we've had floating around Europe since after 2005 when the A league brought a lot of them home (and imo hurt our national pool). 

Give it 2 or 3 seasons but I think we will be close to fielding a starting 11 that is either in a top 5 league or CL/EL club. Even next season we will be close with .. 

Ryan (EL) 
         Souttar(?)  Burgess(top5) Circati(sA)
Atkinson (EL)  Irvine (top5) Luongo(Top5)  Bos (?)
                McGree (?)   Yengi (?)    Volpato (top5)

Bench.. Rowles (EL), Metcalfe (top5), Robertson(?), Irakunda (?), Toure (?). 

I've put a ? next to a few players whose futures are uncertain or may get a move up or get loaned out. 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

updated the original post

one thing that really stands out is how many nsl era players were late bloomers. It is ok to leave the domestic league late if it takes that long to be ready. Just leave when you are dominating and not before!

I wonder if getting rid of the nsl meant losing some of the collective wisdom of when a player is ready to go, when they are ready to step up and where they should go. We seem to be getting it back though its still frustrating to see the occasional musa toure types leave before getting games
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Quicky - 24 Apr 2024 10:23 PM
Brainstorming  .... I wonder where do Lazaridis, Popovic, Tiatto, Filan, Kennedy, Behich fit? Going back further Slater, Arnold, Foster.

popovic is a late bloomer, had one season in the epl with 23 games
tiatto is a late bloomer with his first breakthrough season at u27
filan is too far back to get year by year stats
Kennedy is in category 1 playing buli 2 regularly at u23
Behich doesn't make the cut in any of the categories since he was u25 when he broke through in europe then never got to a really high level (same with martin boyle)
slater was a late bloomer
arnold doesn't make the cut in any of the categories
Can't tell if foster is a late bloomer because I can't tell what league he peaked in (did he have a good epl season?)

adding some other figures I know I guess I can add

Tony vidmar is a late bloomer
Aurelio vidmar is a late bloomer
Carl veart is too old to get year by year stats on
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Quicky - 24 Apr 2024 10:00 PM
Kevin Muscat was in the Championship pretty early. After about 4 domestic seasons. Not sure when he became a starter. Strong career at Wolves, Crystal Palace and later Milwall at that level, with Rangers in the SPL in between. Would fit category 1 or 3. 

Kevin muscat is a good shout! Just made the english 2nd tier when turning 24. Interesting his peak wasn't really higher than ruka
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Quicky - 24 Apr 2024 9:52 PM
Luke Wilkshire would fit the first category. Broke through early at Bristol in league one. Played a lot for them. Went on to play a lot in the Eredivisie and in Russia. Also had 20 odd games in the EPL. Very strong NT career. 

yeah I didn't count 3rd division (or I would count robertson and a bunch of others). If fc twente are a high enough level i could count him as a late bloomer. It's hard to place him since most late bloomers I put as either big 5 clubs or champions league regulars
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star

Brainstorming  .... I wonder where do Lazaridis, Popovic, Tiatto, Filan, Kennedy, Behich fit? Going back further Slater, Arnold, Foster.
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star

Kevin Muscat was in the Championship pretty early. After about 4 domestic seasons. Not sure when he became a starter. Strong career at Wolves, Crystal Palace and later Milwall at that level, with Rangers in the SPL in between. Would fit category 1 or 3. 
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star

Luke Wilkshire would fit the first category. Broke through early at Bristol in league one. Played a lot for them. Went on to play a lot in the Eredivisie and in Russia. Also had 20 odd games in the EPL. Very strong NT career. 
Edited
Last Month by Quicky
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 12:32 PM
robbos - 24 Apr 2024 11:16 AM

Same old argument though mate...  My opinion is that you have to rate a player based on the era he was playing... in the 90s NO keeper was good with their feet :)

Agree wholeheartedly with this. It's not fair to diminish the careers of players based on todays standards and trends. 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Barca4Life - 24 Apr 2024 5:24 PM
grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 5:21 PM

I think the large player pool is a telling factor, I think they export the most players in the world or somewhere close to this.

Pim verbeek and schwarzer both highlighted this as key. Our talent pool was so small that it can be completely derailed by the occasional injury or a player not living up to potential.

The talent pool has expanded slightly but not much. Nst could double the number of both domestic and abroad players
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 5:32 PM
grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 5:09 PM
When AI becomes cognoscente enough to know when a player is sad, or misses his mum's cooking, or just cant seem to make it through the day without wincing in pain then perhaps...
Some players respnd well to an authroatarian manager, others need to be praised and coddled.... As much as sports science and psychology has come along in massive leaps and bounds we are still talking about, often, immature human beings with all the flaws and faults that entails. Its people not robots that currently play the game, maybe one day :)
 until then, there is a lot data analytics can but guesstimate. I dont know any players fotmob score mate, never have and probably never will need it...  Have to see a player with my own eyes to tell you what I think of him or her...  

I dunno have u talked to chat gtp about missing your mum? 

Most clubs use statisticians as first observations even from trained coaches can be wildly off, overemphasizing the noticeable mistakes and underemphasizing small details tough to pick up on first watch. 

Usually to analyze a player coaches use multiple watches of a game along with stats to compliment day ro day interactions with them on the training pitch
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 5:09 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 4:44 PM

Yeah though should average out over a generation tho. Dyĺans luck was brutal rip.

If you have more counter examples that met the criteria i laid out id be curious so i can add to the database

Injuries and mental health can stop a player and some late bloomers excede all expectations. Also the best ai available to pro teams isnt available to the public u can ask some scouts for individual reports on players. However public ai is also getting better. Sofascore and fotmob are pretty good predictors compared to whoscored and sqwawka on who will make a step up. Which aussie playee has a fotmob score of 7.2 or higher and not been able to get decent game time, injuries permitting, at the next level up? (Spl, superleague, norway, belgium, buli 2 etc) jelacic is the only example im aware of so thats a pretty good predictor! Ai is getting smarter and put us all out if a job soon :D
When AI becomes cognoscente enough to know when a player is sad, or misses his mum's cooking, or just cant seem to make it through the day without wincing in pain then perhaps...
Some players respnd well to an authroatarian manager, others need to be praised and coddled.... As much as sports science and psychology has come along in massive leaps and bounds we are still talking about, often, immature human beings with all the flaws and faults that entails. Its people not robots that currently play the game, maybe one day :)
 until then, there is a lot data analytics can but guesstimate. I dont know any players fotmob score mate, never have and probably never will need it...  Have to see a player with my own eyes to tell you what I think of him or her...  

Edited
Last Month by Monoethnic Social Club
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search