When is a wonderkid a wonderkid and when are we just hyping them up. Why we really DO have reason...

When is a wonderkid a wonderkid and when are we just hyping them up....

Author
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
robbos - 24 Apr 2024 2:09 PM
LFC. - 24 Apr 2024 1:27 PM

We in 2007 after the heroics of 2006 got knocked out at the 1/4s stage of Asian cup under Graham Arnold.
We in 2023 after heroics of 2022 got knocked out at the 1/4s stage of Asian cup under Graham Arnold.

No we have not changed, except maybe we (Aussies) underestimate Asian opposition especially at their home grounds.

The other thing around the time of 2008-2012 a certain Pep Guardiola & Barcelona led by Xavi, Inesita & Messi changed football forever with possession football which relied on high technical skill & a great first touch, he took this to Man City, to combat this some coaches ala Jurgen Klopp worked on counter attacking with midfielders that ran their guts out but also highly proficient in their technical ability & first touch to get ball at speed to a trio of brilliant attacking players, both these styles & the other styles that followed required defenders, workaholic midfielders & naturally your attacking players all your players to be technically good with the ball at their feet, something the British & Australians were not their strong points, however England with all the foreign coaches coaching the top 6 clubs, we see the English developing, but they came from a fairly high base.
Other countries like Scotland & Australia, coming from a far lower base has struggled.

Our depth now is, we have a lot more players who have a better technique than days gone by, but so has the other countries.
I give you England for example, have you seen so many players that play such exciting play like Grealish, Foden, Saka, Buckingham, Palmer Kane, Stering, Maddison & it goes on & on.

yep rest my case, you have added more that adds to my post Thanks mate :)
No we haven't underestimated our fellow opponents its more so our arrogance/mindset of the last 30+yrs towards those nations, you know we anglo we da better smarter and organised nation.
I am glad they are showing us up a damn good payback lesson actually.
We have improved having more Pro players (depth) but as mentioned so has everywhere else and some, some way better and unified compared to us might I add.
This dual comp scenario here is not the path required today and before, only as one will we improve alot more than currently having more competition for currently its capped.

I marvel at countless players of todays game but I also marvelled and admired just as many back in the 70/80's be it english spanish italian german.
All have had a great amount of skilful, talented amazing players of the decades especially seeing you named mostly attackers.

Love Football

Edited
5 Months Ago by LFC.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

LFC. - 24 Apr 2024 10:08 AM
Thanks Grazor as always you bring some interesting reading.
Think I triggered this :) maybe not entirely but obviously due to the discussions since our Olympic fail - more so in this day and age.
Now I'm nowhere like your good self and some others reviewing history stats and data but a mier invested passionate active football player/father of 2 Snr players/a armchair critic on the sidelines and couch/attend many many games and abroad the last too many years compared to some here age wise.
TBH IMO all I keep reading is excuse's the last number of posts and next new wonder/s for 20yrs, excuse me for being harsh impatient and blunt.
Its frustrating.
Hardly expected us to make it way back in the day (Oly quali) much as well BUT today ? yes I do, why ?
Professionalism last 20yrs And many have talked the kids UP. Sure some better players were missing and low and behold Vidmar some say as well.
Now putting aside our pin up outlier HK as mentioned in the other thread lets not forget the pre and post GG was still semi Pro, you know the terrible ethnic run NSL so I think alot more kudos needs to be put towards all those players young and old bloomers making it pretty OK abroad way back in the day.
In fact one who is always never mentioned much at all is Craig Johnston (another "outlier" you could pair with HK) ! the winningest Aussie player abroad ever ! 270 games in the top flight and Cups and medals no one will ever match.
In fact I'm tickled pink many made it to pretty good league levels when I consider it spread across EPL/Div1/SerieA/B/Bundas etc......

and here we are, reading how well some have done the last 10/20yrs and the promise coming/ahead.
I sure as well hope so and will watch with baited breath.
Hardly 1 aussie player making massive headlines in a top flight league but for the good signings of Kuol + whoever else.
Irakunda talked up way too much - kudos in our league but too much chicken before the egg prove yourself abroad one day like I await Kuol.
The standout young fella imo right now the last year or so is Bos despite being played out of position at NT.
The other obvious stand out is eenie meenie minee moe Volpato - at least he's been in a big Club for a little, got some game time and looked ok and shows he's a cut above quite a few mentioned.

As for our  coaching standards nowadays, you can drill drill drill all the methods you can muster and see
technical skills,
improved movement off the ball, particularly in possession,
improved game sense,
improved ability to play possession football as a team unit. 
This is from having 10 years of coaching similar to what they would receive in Netherland, France or Spain. 

But where is the competition week in week out with so few Pro Clubs, 35/40games per season, competition for spots, competition that you lose your relegated.
Where are they tested - abroad and in Tournaments, thats the baptism of fire as recently accurred.
Sorry we're in a CUSHY BUBBLE, watching our Snrs shows were a yard behind forever and a day, are the young Gen faster/fitter and tested for all the skill/game sense/movement/and hang onto possession means jack shit if your a yard behind when pressed or counter attacking and importantly SCORE finish in BIG games.

Look forward to the banter :)

Thanks!

One of the points i want to drive home is yes we have hyped up kids before (and hey not begrudging that its one of the fun things to do as a fan) I think club output is an objective measure of whether a kid should be hyped or not and i list 3 paths players make to the top. The most common way seems to be first choice at a decent european level before 23. Also its not unusual for around a 3rd of players to not hit their potential so there is a bit of randomness involved. Most of the kids we hyped in the past we did so without any real club achievements to back it up.

As to ur assessment of the current generation i would say circatis club achievements has him leading this generation and he could be in that outlier category, albeit at cb. I dont think we have ever had a u21 player leading the seri b. Of course i would rather this generation to be led by a gun striker haha
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Barca4Life - 24 Apr 2024 10:18 AM
Yep this is pretty good, good stuff Grazorblade.

Each player has a different path to build their own careers so will peak early others will peak later.

I do feel Kewell and Viduka coming through at the same time feels unique because we rarely developed world class talent before them let alone after them too.

We haven’t been a country that’s known to develop world class talent unless they are an outlier but overall we always developed good players and therefore punched our weight.

I really want to develop another kewell or viduka. We might have an outlier player in circati tho. Defenders dont thrill fans the way attackers do but still something to be excited about
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

jas88 - 24 Apr 2024 11:24 AM
the common theme with the newer generations is that they get to Europe get their chance then kind of Stagnant and don't continue to progress..

Maty is the only one who really kept pushing himself all the way to the top. A lot of the other boys get stuck in CHP(Luongo) or Buli2(Borello) although Mass may change that - both were destined for EPL/Bundesliga.

It makes me question what sort of support system is available for these guys away from the game? Coming into socceroos camp can be a godsend for some of these players to refresh and refocus themselves but many just don't push on.

Maybe we just need to stop picking kids who are still settling at their club? I'm not sure. 

Some of the older gen would reject call ups for meaningless friendlies didn't they? is that part of the reason?

This is what we need to fix.

Definitely agree with "stop picking kids settling in".

It's no secret the travel demands of playing for the Socceroos whilst in Europe. Especially for young players, its too harsh and can seriously affect your spot on the team. I'm generally happy with the way we've dealt with players like Volpato, Circati, Robertson etc. I feel like we may have issues with Irankunda in the near future too. Circati and Robertson have really benefited from missing out and the whole importance is that their continued success at club land will benefit the Socceroos immensely. Because of it Circati could be a starting Serie A player next season at 21 and depending on his seasonal performance we could have a legitimate and sustainable top 5 league player. Especially hard these days to become a starter as CB in a top 5 league. 

Edited
5 Months Ago by bbouy
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 10:27 AM
All I can say Grazor is "Wow"  Fantastic write up and kudos to you for doing the research and articulating it all so clearly.

I am not sure I agree with your definition of "breakthrough season" or your definition of dominating Aleague or NSL (well for strikers it is an obvious result but stats dont always tell the tale of the tape for mids and defenders in my opinion) anyway, just wanted to say well done. I dont share your optimism about the improving technical attributes of our playing stock (nor do I have a clear path towards fixing it). Hyping up young players has been going on since the first caveman kicked an inflated pig bladder at a set of goalsposts and is not a uniquely Australian Soccer thing... All around the world there are these sort of discussions going ... long may it continue.

Yeah i concede the point about the metric of break through. Tricky part is you have to commit to a methodology but the further u go back the harder it is to get stats. Bresciano has assist stats in the nsl but he is the earliest player i can find even that for. I agree that it makes it hard to evaluate defenders since i only have goals and games played for older players.

Having said that, every defender that has made it seems to anyway be in category 1 or category 3

These days we collect an incredible amount of stats on passes, types of passes, xg, types of defensive actions and the ai algorithms are getting smarter. If you pay for the ones coach access you can get really good predictions if which players will start in higher leagues. Fotmob is free but is already pretty decent. If your score is 7.2 or higher you probably lose around 0.5 on your average when going to the spl, championship, buli 2, eredivisie or jupiler league but 6.7 is high enough to get decent game time and build from there. So i feel i can predict pretty well who will thrive in their first year overseas these days providing they dont aim too high too early. But sadly we dont have that data 

Also i use a hard cutoff for a break through season and a 2nd teir league. In reality more games is better, younger is better and a higher standard is better. A player getting 25 games for a bottom placed spl side in the season they turn 24 makes the cutoff as does a player who plays 38 games for a upper mid table eredivise side at 21. But the latter will likely have a much better career. Having said that, historically both players are probably going to be good enough to get at least some roos games and make an impact
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

localstar - 24 Apr 2024 10:33 AM
Zelic "broke through" after the Olympic tournament in 1992 and then played in the UEFA cup final in 1996.

Trust Decentric to imply that Okon, Zelic and Grella were sort of failures.

I used a hard cutoff for a break through season. According to his wiki page, Zelic had 19 games in 92/93, same as chris herds peak which i also wouldnt count as breaking through. The season after he had 18, season after 4, then 4 again and so on until he had a season with 33 games which i count as his breakthrough season.

It's true that injuries and form are very different reasons for a lack of game time. But in the only objective thing to do is count runs on the board
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

robbos - 24 Apr 2024 10:33 AM

I agree, really the only 2 Aussie footballers who could be defined as world class are Kewell & Viduka. Even then they never reached their potential.

Siminic too it seems

Circati looks to be in that category. Volpato has a chance too as does irankunda but circati looks the most likely
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 11:04 AM

I dont disagree with you Robbo but I think Bosnich is often hard done by by history...  

Good call!

I define an outlier player who doesnt fit into those three categories as someone who is first choice in the big 5 at a very young age. He was first choice at u22!
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

LFC. - 24 Apr 2024 1:27 PM

We in 2007 after the heroics of 2006 got knocked out at the 1/4s stage of Asian cup under Graham Arnold.
We in 2023 after heroics of 2022 got knocked out at the 1/4s stage of Asian cup under Graham Arnold.

No we have not changed, except maybe we (Aussies) underestimate Asian opposition especially at their home grounds.

As much as I agree with you on that, I don't think they're comparable.

In 2023, we topped our group, and lost to a nation who is ranked higher/equal to us in extra time.
In 2007 it was essentially the same deal for the quarter final (although noting we defeated Japan at the World Cup a year earlier), but more importantly, we put ourselves in that position by not winning our group that we should have (which admittedly is because we lost to the team that had the fairytale run to the trophy).

Us getting knocked out in 2007, personally, is a lot more of an under achievement than getting knocked out in 2023 was.

If you want to talk real under achievements, 2019 is the one. Failed to top the group, got dragged to penalties in the round of 16, and then knocked out in the quarters to a team who, despite now becoming double Asian Champions, was the worst team at a home World Cup in between those two Asian Cup triumphs.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

jas88 - 24 Apr 2024 11:24 AM
the common theme with the newer generations is that they get to Europe get their chance then kind of Stagnant and don't continue to progress..

Maty is the only one who really kept pushing himself all the way to the top. A lot of the other boys get stuck in CHP(Luongo) or Buli2(Borello) although Mass may change that - both were destined for EPL/Bundesliga.

It makes me question what sort of support system is available for these guys away from the game? Coming into socceroos camp can be a godsend for some of these players to refresh and refocus themselves but many just don't push on.

Maybe we just need to stop picking kids who are still settling at their club? I'm not sure. 

Some of the older gen would reject call ups for meaningless friendlies didn't they? is that part of the reason?

This is what we need to fix.

Borello never had a 25+game season in europe (tho injuries crueled him) and none of his seasons before leaving were dominant

I agree tho that there were some players that deserved their hype and didnt kick on - oar and gersbach standout in this category. But i dont think this is unusual. I just think the talent from 1981-1997 was pretty poor and their mid careers roughly agreed with their early career trajectories when looking at the generation as a whole. Those born 98 and after look like they are gradually getting better.

This is easily explained by the fact we replaced clubs with academies to clubs without. The new clubs were also fewer (7 domestic and 1 nz to start) and had more foreign spots so we went from around 140 aussies getting football each weak to 42. Those 42 skewed old and until about 3 years ago we were a leagur that skewed as one of the oldest in the world with few youth getting minutes.  We introduced the ntc and academies which seems to finally be helping. These days about 30 percent of minutes are for u23s
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 3:38 PM
localstar - 24 Apr 2024 10:33 AM

I used a hard cutoff for a break through season. According to his wiki page, Zelic had 19 games in 92/93, same as chris herds peak which i also wouldnt count as breaking through. The season after he had 18, season after 4, then 4 again and so on until he had a season with 33 games which i count as his breakthrough season.

It's true that injuries and form are very different reasons for a lack of game time. But in the only objective thing to do is count runs on the board

Yeah, stats, stats... I took "breakthrough" to mean that after the Olympic tournament in 1992 Eddie Thompson was fielding so many offers for Zelic from big European clubs that he was playing them off against each other.
Keeper66
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

I dont disagree with you Robbo but I think Bosnich is often hard done by by history...  

Agree with this, Bosnich was a world class keeper at his peak. Unfortunately that peak was short due to injuries and other "concerns".
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Keeper66 - 24 Apr 2024 3:59 PM

Agree with this, Bosnich was a world class keeper at his peak. Unfortunately that peak was short due to injuries and other "concerns".

I too enjoy ice with my coke

Pouring a glass of Coca-cola with ice … – License image – 60175381 Image Professionals

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

In my last post i mentioned more young players getting game time, it s not just at a league level 

In the recent joeys tournament overseas 12 players had senior npl experience compared to the comparable joeys squad 2 years earlier.

Football is a sport where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Better players get more game time and more game time makes u a better player

Im hoping the nst means more u18 players getring game time domestically which is particularly important for strikers
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

localstar - 24 Apr 2024 3:55 PM
grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 3:38 PM

Yeah, stats, stats... I took "breakthrough" to mean that after the Olympic tournament in 1992 Eddie Thompson was fielding so many offers for Zelic from big European clubs that he was playing them off against each other.

We have had some players get decent contracts and not much game time. An extreme case was Kaz patafta who had choices and didnt even make a league level. I think contracts show potential but runs on the board are what counts. He didnt get a decent season until 6 years later
Keeper66
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

NicCarBel - 24 Apr 2024 3:45 PM

As much as I agree with you on that, I don't think they're comparable.

In 2023, we topped our group, and lost to a nation who is ranked higher/equal to us in extra time.
In 2007 it was essentially the same deal for the quarter final (although noting we defeated Japan at the World Cup a year earlier), but more importantly, we put ourselves in that position by not winning our group that we should have (which admittedly is because we lost to the team that had the fairytale run to the trophy).

Us getting knocked out in 2007, personally, is a lot more of an under achievement than getting knocked out in 2023 was.

If you want to talk real under achievements, 2019 is the one. Failed to top the group, got dragged to penalties in the round of 16, and then knocked out in the quarters to a team who, despite now becoming double Asian Champions, was the worst team at a home World Cup in between those two Asian Cup triumphs.

Agree with your take in 2019, although it was actually worse than you say because in the quarters we lost to UAE, not Qatar.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Someone mentioned how footballs changed to be more technical thats true

The second teir has also become more professional. Look at our nearest rivals. Saudi up to 32 pro teams across 2 divisions, south kore now up to 2 pro and 2 semi pro divisions, america might have a disconnected pyramid but they now have a bunch of levels below the mls. 

As excited as i am about a nst, it is still just a step towards catching up with rivals who have been improving at a faster rate than us. Even those who hate the a league should at least hope it sticks around until we get a third division. I dont ever want to go back to a single division again
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 4:20 PM
Someone mentioned how footballs changed to be more technical thats true

The second teir has also become more professional. Look at our nearest rivals. Saudi up to 32 pro teams across 2 divisions, south kore now up to 2 pro and 2 semi pro divisions, america might have a disconnected pyramid but they now have a bunch of levels below the mls. 

As excited as i am about a nst, it is still just a step towards catching up with rivals who have been improving at a faster rate than us. Even those who hate the a league should at least hope it sticks around until we get a third division. I dont ever want to go back to a single division again

Stop dropping truth bombs.... :P  
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 3:34 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 10:27 AM

Yeah i concede the point about the metric of break through. Tricky part is you have to commit to a methodology but the further u go back the harder it is to get stats. Bresciano has assist stats in the nsl but he is the earliest player i can find even that for. I agree that it makes it hard to evaluate defenders since i only have goals and games played for older players.

Having said that, every defender that has made it seems to anyway be in category 1 or category 3

These days we collect an incredible amount of stats on passes, types of passes, xg, types of defensive actions and the ai algorithms are getting smarter. If you pay for the ones coach access you can get really good predictions if which players will start in higher leagues. Fotmob is free but is already pretty decent. If your score is 7.2 or higher you probably lose around 0.5 on your average when going to the spl, championship, buli 2, eredivisie or jupiler league but 6.7 is high enough to get decent game time and build from there. So i feel i can predict pretty well who will thrive in their first year overseas these days providing they dont aim too high too early. But sadly we dont have that data 

Also i use a hard cutoff for a break through season and a 2nd teir league. In reality more games is better, younger is better and a higher standard is better. A player getting 25 games for a bottom placed spl side in the season they turn 24 makes the cutoff as does a player who plays 38 games for a upper mid table eredivise side at 21. But the latter will likely have a much better career. Having said that, historically both players are probably going to be good enough to get at least some roos games and make an impact

I started typing a response to your comment about using modern stats and analysis to acurately predict a players development into higher leagues, remembered Dylan, got sad and then just left it.... fact is, All the numbers in the world can crunch in anyway .... mental and physical health is a roll of the dice. 
Edited
5 Months Ago by Monoethnic Social Club
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro

Keeper66 - 24 Apr 2024 4:09 PM
NicCarBel - 24 Apr 2024 3:45 PM

Agree with your take in 2019, although it was actually worse than you say because in the quarters we lost to UAE, not Qatar.

Far out, I told my wife not to cancel my eye appointment
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

NicCarBel - 24 Apr 2024 4:50 PM
Keeper66 - 24 Apr 2024 4:09 PM

Far out, I told my wife not to cancel my eye appointment

pffffft typical Australian referee..... lol
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 4:54 PM
NicCarBel - 24 Apr 2024 4:50 PM

pffffft typical Australian referee..... lol

it's just for static objects, like words and goal lines, I swear!
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 4:44 PM
grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 3:34 PM

I started typing a response to your comment about using modern stats and analysis to acurately predict a players development into higher leagues, remembered Dylan, got sad and then just left it.... fact is, All the numbers in the world can crunch in anyway .... mental and physical health is a roll of the dice. 

Yeah though should average out over a generation tho. Dyĺans luck was brutal rip.

If you have more counter examples that met the criteria i laid out id be curious so i can add to the database

Injuries and mental health can stop a player and some late bloomers excede all expectations. Also the best ai available to pro teams isnt available to the public u can ask some scouts for individual reports on players. However public ai is also getting better. Sofascore and fotmob are pretty good predictors compared to whoscored and sqwawka on who will make a step up. Which aussie playee has a fotmob score of 7.2 or higher and not been able to get decent game time, injuries permitting, at the next level up? (Spl, superleague, norway, belgium, buli 2 etc) jelacic is the only example im aware of so thats a pretty good predictor! Ai is getting smarter and put us all out if a job soon :D

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 4:42 PM
grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 4:20 PM

Stop dropping truth bombs.... :P  

We went from 142 australian players getting starts in the nsl to 42 according to schwarzer and most we old since they selected the best available and the new clubs lacked teams going down to u6, had a short season, a wage budget lower than league 1, had an overemphasis on physicality, an a league style that was poor for prepping for international football (300 aggregate passes per game!!! More hoofballish than the lower spl teams) 

Some wonder why we didnt produce players. Its a miracle we produced what we did. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 3:20 PM

I really want to develop another kewell or viduka. We might have an outlier player in circati tho. Defenders dont thrill fans the way attackers do but still something to be excited about

We all hope someone comes through that will be world class and play at the highest level, for that to happen everything has to fall into place for Kewell and Viduka almost everything went their way until they reach their mid 20s when injuries started to kick in.

Its alot easier for big countries who have large talent pools to have world class players simply with larger odds therefore the more talent that is developed eventually one will be world class, eg. Brazil have one of the biggest talent pools in world football and for every Neymar, vinicius jr, there will be someone playing in a lower tier like Doka playing for the Mariners in fact it will be interesting to see how many Brazilian players that are out there around the world and what level they are playing.

For smaller countries you can be lucky with 1 or 2 but I wont bet they could continue to develop world class players simply because a smaller player pool.

Of course you can look after your backyard as much as you can, but even with that I dont think its enough to develop world class players in any sport for that matter simply because the odds are so small with a small talent pool to increase the odds increasing the talent pool and the more you export then the chances will increase.

Edited
5 Months Ago by Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

How many Australian players that are in the professional level in Oz right now and how many are overseas? That will be interesting to see.

There is a big gap between the professional game and the semi pro game there is heaps of players in the semi pro game all over the country.
Edited
5 Months Ago by Barca4Life
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Barca4Life - 24 Apr 2024 5:16 PM
grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 3:20 PM

We all hope someone comes through that will be world class and play at the highest level, for that to happen everything has to fall into place for Kewell and Viduka almost everything went their way until they reach their mid 20s when injuries started to kick in.

Its alot easier for big countries who have large talent pools to have world class players simply with larger odds therefore the more talent that is developed eventually one will be world class, eg. Brazil have one of the biggest talent pools in world football and for every Neymar, vinicius jr, there will be someone playing in a lower tier like Doka playing for the Mariners in fact it will be interesting to see how many Brazilian players that are out there around the world and what level they are playing.

For smaller countries you can be lucky with 1 or 2 but I wont bet they could continue to develop world class players simply because a smaller player pool.

Of course you can look after your backyard as much as you can, but even with that I dont think its enough to develop world class players in any sport for that matter simply because the odds are so small with a small talent pool to increase the odds increasing the talent pool and the more you export then the chances will increase.

I remember eeading an analysis of this that top countries has 1000s of fulltime players (3-5k for world cup winners) and we had a couple of hundred at the time including all players overseas
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

NicCarBel - 24 Apr 2024 4:57 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 4:54 PM

it's just for static objects, like words and goal lines, I swear!

HAHAHAHAHAHAh
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 5:21 PM
Barca4Life - 24 Apr 2024 5:16 PM

I remember eeading an analysis of this that top countries has 1000s of fulltime players (3-5k for world cup winners) and we had a couple of hundred at the time including all players overseas

I think the large player pool is a telling factor, I think they export the most players in the world or somewhere close to this.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

grazorblade - 24 Apr 2024 5:09 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2024 4:44 PM

Yeah though should average out over a generation tho. Dyĺans luck was brutal rip.

If you have more counter examples that met the criteria i laid out id be curious so i can add to the database

Injuries and mental health can stop a player and some late bloomers excede all expectations. Also the best ai available to pro teams isnt available to the public u can ask some scouts for individual reports on players. However public ai is also getting better. Sofascore and fotmob are pretty good predictors compared to whoscored and sqwawka on who will make a step up. Which aussie playee has a fotmob score of 7.2 or higher and not been able to get decent game time, injuries permitting, at the next level up? (Spl, superleague, norway, belgium, buli 2 etc) jelacic is the only example im aware of so thats a pretty good predictor! Ai is getting smarter and put us all out if a job soon :D
When AI becomes cognoscente enough to know when a player is sad, or misses his mum's cooking, or just cant seem to make it through the day without wincing in pain then perhaps...
Some players respnd well to an authroatarian manager, others need to be praised and coddled.... As much as sports science and psychology has come along in massive leaps and bounds we are still talking about, often, immature human beings with all the flaws and faults that entails. Its people not robots that currently play the game, maybe one day :)
 until then, there is a lot data analytics can but guesstimate. I dont know any players fotmob score mate, never have and probably never will need it...  Have to see a player with my own eyes to tell you what I think of him or her...  

Edited
5 Months Ago by Monoethnic Social Club
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search