BDP

Author
hounddog
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Marki - 11 May 2024 5:27 PM
hounddog - 11 May 2024 5:04 PM

Yeah that Mahoney offside from Kiraz break was the result of Edwards shutting down Kiraz early.

Reminded me of the scene in The Hunt for Red October were Ramius turns the submarine into the torpedo and collides with it before it can arm itself.

Mahoney was already in front before Kiraz even before he got the pass from Crighton, Edwards rushed him and forced a kick before Mahoney could check his run or allow Kiraz to pass him

That is the thing we created a few really good opportunities and they did a good job of defending them.

Sometimes we looked very dangerous in attack, although they scored 2 trys, I didn't think that they looked that dangerous.
Both their  try's were a bit scrappy. The first one was well structured, but we had more than enough defenders in the frame and we made the Panthers backrower look like Payne Hass.  Our first defender Critter slipped well off and slid away like he was on a ice rink and it was all downhill after that. The second try was good execution, but an ad lib unstructured play, and again we had plenty of defenders in the frame but they couldn't get there in time.

Both our trys were from well structured plays and we threw a lot at them. We also made a lot of half breaks and other opportunities that they managed to shut-down.

I think that they won on the back of superior defence, particularly from Cleary in the first half and from Edwards. They also were more familiar with the conditions. 

We just need a bit better execution in attack and we need to stop falling off tackles and conceding soft try. But I don't think that the conditions suited our attack. 

Edited
4 Months Ago by hounddog
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

hounddog - 11 May 2024 7:46 PM
Marki - 11 May 2024 5:27 PM

That is the thing we created a few really good opportunities and they did a good job of defending them.

Sometimes we looked very dangerous in attack, although they scored 2 trys, I didn't think that they looked that dangerous.
Both their  try's were a bit scrappy. The first one was well structured, but we had more than enough defenders in the frame and we made the Panthers backrower look like Payne Hass.  Our first defender Critter slipped well off and slid away like he was on a ice rink and it was all downhill after that. The second try was good execution, but an ad lib unstructured play, and again we had plenty of defenders in the frame but they couldn't get there in time.

Both our trys were from well structured plays and we threw a lot at them. We also made a lot of half breaks and other opportunities that they managed to shut-down.

I think that they won on the back of superior defence, particularly from Cleary in the first half and from Edwards. They also were more familiar with the conditions. 

We just need a bit better execution in attack and we need to stop falling off tackles and conceding soft try. But I don't think that the conditions suited our attack. 

Again you're focussed on defence HD...
Game wasn't won and lost in defence.

It was lost in attack.

Dont worry about that game. We move on.

We just need to better at converting line breaks into trys or at least good field position to eventually lead to points. 

If Burton doesnt make a play at that 50-50 spilt ball and plays the man, we dont concede that 2nd try. In fact the Panthers likely knock-on in the slippery conditions. But it happens. You take the chance at getting the ball and you end up giving them an overlap.

Focus should turn to breaking our Magic round hoodoo.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Marki - 11 May 2024 8:53 PM
hounddog - 11 May 2024 7:46 PM

Again you're focussed on defence HD...
Game wasn't won and lost in defence.

It was lost in attack.

Dont worry about that game. We move on.

We just need to better at converting line breaks into trys or at least good field position to eventually lead to points. 

If Burton doesnt make a play at that 50-50 spilt ball and plays the man, we dont concede that 2nd try. In fact the Panthers likely knock-on in the slippery conditions. But it happens. You take the chance at getting the ball and you end up giving them an overlap.

Focus should turn to breaking our Magic round hoodoo.

I am saying we threw plenty at them in attack.

Overall it was one of the better attacking performances in recent seasons, considering the conditions and the quality of the opposition defence.

People are swayed by the scoreline and the result. 

There was a small patch of play in the first half where we lost our way in attack Mann wasn't on the same wave length other players.

We built into the game  and our last 10 minutes was really good lots of variety attacking both edges and up the middle. Took a bit too long to get that rolling.

The players should be thinking that we were good enough to beat them and should have beaten them. Sometimes learning how to win takes a while. 

I don't think that we lost the game with that 10-15 minute patch of bad attack, but we did waste an opportunity to score. We needed to score earlier or stop one of their trys. 

There were lots of little moments that ultimately decided the outcome and they won most of them, with luck sometimes being a factor. 
Edited
4 Months Ago by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

If you watch the last 20 minutes against the Panthers that is exactly how we need to attack.

Aside from the structures on the edges we had Hughes running off Mann up the middle.

At the opponent's end we need to do the same stuff at the start of games.

If Hughes and Mann start, they are also on at the end.

It would also be good to have another big body like Farmer starting with Reed having the option to play short to the second big guy after the first one has run off Mann.

More punch up the middle with will make our edge plays more potent.

The Burton try was also an example of what we need to do as was the forward pass from Xerri to Fox, everything was great except for the final pass. Xerri nails that pass 9 out of 10 times,

Kicks on top of their short wingers were also the right play, but we didn't execute it. Other teams will copy.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Bwhahahahaha @TPJ....
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

I watched the highlights of that game again, and I realised that penriff won that game through sheer luck.
Apart from our disallowed tries:
Penrith 1st try - there was absolutely no evidence that the ball was grounded or if it even made it into the in-goal.
Penrith 2nd try - pure arse.
The two penalty goals were an absolute sham and had the NRLol's " let's get Gus back" fingerprints all over them.
All in all, if we were reffed fairly and honestly we lost by a conversion attempt................. again!
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

ODF - 12 May 2024 9:19 AM
I watched the highlights of that game again, and I realised that penriff won that game through sheer luck.
Apart from our disallowed tries:
Penrith 1st try - there was absolutely no evidence that the ball was grounded or if it even made it into the in-goal.
Penrith 2nd try - pure arse.
The two penalty goals were an absolute sham and had the NRLol's " let's get Gus back" fingerprints all over them.
All in all, if we were reffed fairly and honestly we lost by a conversion attempt................. again!

IMO ODF we had the game to beat them.

Our defence at least matched theirs, our attack was a lot better than theirs, but still needs a bit of practice and polish.

Had Cleary stayed on the field their attack might have matched ours.

The one area where they were clearly superior is kicking game when Cleary was on the field.  Had he stayed on and both teams played the same they probably would have won by more.

Hutch and Burton do some good kicks and generally make the right decision as to what type of kick to do. But execution and consistency needs a lot of work.

We can beat most teams, the only team I think that we can't beat is the Broncos unless they mostly beat themselves. If we could improve our kicking game we would be more chance against them.

Thry kicked a penalty goal to go to 14-0. I have no idea what that penalty was for. I agree luck was a factor in 2 tries for them and also in the try off the Kiraz offload being ruled out.  Still we only need to execute 5% better to win, and that is the part we can control. 
Edited
4 Months Ago by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Any chance Hutch and Burton will be the NSW SOO halves?

All of the other candidates are getting injured.

Hutch plays a style that suits SOO and is something that would appeal to Madge.

Gus has hinted at changes for NSW and I think that means a high workrate defence oriented low error rate side.

Or in other words,  bash QLD and grind out wins.

I would be running a big physical second rower at DCE all night. 
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

hounddog - 11 May 2024 9:15 PM
Marki - 11 May 2024 8:53 PM

I am saying we threw plenty at them in attack.

Overall it was one of the better attacking performances in recent seasons, considering the conditions and the quality of the opposition defence.

People are swayed by the scoreline and the result. 

There was a small patch of play in the first half where we lost our way in attack Mann wasn't on the same wave length other players.

We built into the game  and our last 10 minutes was really good lots of variety attacking both edges and up the middle. Took a bit too long to get that rolling.

The players should be thinking that we were good enough to beat them and should have beaten them. Sometimes learning how to win takes a while. 

I don't think that we lost the game with that 10-15 minute patch of bad attack, but we did waste an opportunity to score. We needed to score earlier or stop one of their trys. 

There were lots of little moments that ultimately decided the outcome and they won most of them, with luck sometimes being a factor. 

Thats the thing...

We leave that game knowing we can knock them off next time if we just execute abit better amd take our chances.

They leave the game with the 2 points, but with the fear that if they face us in finals, theyll be up for a challenge and could get knocked out. 

Don't know if we play them again during regular season but they'd be wanting to avoid us in finals...
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 12 May 2024 11:30 AM
hounddog - 11 May 2024 9:15 PM

Thats the thing...

We leave that game knowing we can knock them off next time if we just execute abit better amd take our chances.

They leave the game with the 2 points, but with the fear that if they face us in finals, theyll be up for a challenge and could get knocked out. 

Don't know if we play them again during regular season but they'd be wanting to avoid us in finals...

We don't play them again, unless we make the Semis.

Next 4 weeks are critical for us Raiders, Dragons, Knights, Eels.

There are no easy games, but these are 4 of the easier games

If we win 3 out of 4, we should be in the 8.

Playing well is good, but we want to turn that into results.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Marki - 11 May 2024 8:22 AM
hounddog - 11 May 2024 6:48 AM

As i mentioned on the TK....dont pay much attention to the misd-tackle stat. It is useless to look at it on its own.

You can have 5 miss-tackles 1 on 1 near your tryline and leak 5 tries for 30 points, or you can have 55 miss-tackles (supposedly) and only cop 2 tries -like last night.

Penrith players have a habit of poking and probing their runs into the defence looking for an opening. This usually drags 3 or maybe 4 defenders into the tackle. Some of them drop off and it gets counted as a miss. Its a useless stat. 

We did everything right defensively and frustrated them. It was abit of a lapse in concentration on the spilt ball that led to To'os try but you can see in his celebration how much relieved they were to finally crack us. Havent seen Riff rattled like that for a long time.

Game was lost in attack. Not too dissimilar to Souths game and Storm.

We can carry these halves against half the competition and win. But against better opposition who can match us in defence, we need more creativity. 

Ive been a supporter of Hutch, but he was clearly playing to instructions and told not to run the ball. He passed well before the line and attack was easy pickings. Taaffe is a far better FB chiming in on the right than Tracy is. Tracy is better on the left.

Burton, i have no idea what position he played in the second half. I honestly thought he was left centre even though Xerri was still there. He went MIA again. Yes, he scored, but it was a centres try. 

I dont expect any changes. It was a game where our weapon (Kikau) had a fairly poor game and wasnt helped with no other plays in our arsenal. 

As i noted, this team and structure will be beat about half the teams in the comp. This in itself might be enough to keep everyone happy. I know i eould be happy to see us play finals this year -even if we went out in week 1.

But if we want to thibk about going deeper, we need to sort out the lack of creativity in the halves.

Either Hutch has to be told to park the gameplan of early hall and play eyes up footy, or try Sexxy, Taaffe or even BBO if hes available.

Mate. Did you watch the game. 

We made six linebreaks to the Panthers three. If we finished those chances we win the game. It was Panthers great scramble defence that stopped those try’s. 

One line break assist from the Panthers Luai. Zero from Cleary or any other player. 

Three line break assists from us. One from Critta one from Burton. And one from Xerri that came off a Burton pass to Xerri. 

Plus Burton scored a try. He was the main reason why we were in that game. If he wasn’t let down by Kiks, Xerri and Fox from dropped ball and poor decisions we win that game. 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

hounddog - 12 May 2024 12:21 PM
Marki - 12 May 2024 11:30 AM

We don't play them again, unless we make the Semis.

Next 4 weeks are critical for us Raiders, Dragons, Knights, Eels.

There are no easy games, but these are 4 of the easier games

If we win 3 out of 4, we should be in the 8.

Playing well is good, but we want to turn that into results.

If we play as well as we did last night we win the next three maybe four games. A little bit more polish in finishing off our try’s and less mistakes we win them all by plenty. 

I’m surprised we are playing this well. No changes to the team needed. Just some basic passing and catching practice from our edges is all that is needed

Marki
Marki
World Class

Micko - 12 May 2024 1:38 PM
Marki - 11 May 2024 8:22 AM

Mate. Did you watch the game. 

We made six linebreaks to the Panthers three. If we finished those chances we win the game. It was Panthers great scramble defence that stopped those try’s. 

One line break assist from the Panthers Luai. Zero from Cleary or any other player. 

Three line break assists from us. One from Critta one from Burton. And one from Xerri that came off a Burton pass to Xerri. 

Plus Burton scored a try. He was the main reason why we were in that game. If he wasn’t let down by Kiks, Xerri and Fox from dropped ball and poor decisions we win that game. 

Yes i watched our game.
Alot of our line breaks involved a kick at some point which introduces abit of a lottery.

Would like to see us turn those half breaks on the fringes to draw and pass against the final line of defence rather than kick. Thats how you convert a higher number of them into certain points.

The pass wont always be on - i accept that. If its not last tackle, you can afford to take the tackle, aim for a quick PTB and spread to the side with low defensive numbers. 

From memory, only the Xerri forward pass to Foxx play was a non-kick play. The others from Foxx and Kiraz were both lottery plays that dont always come off.

The pleasing thing is that we created such plays. The unfortunate thing is that we were forced into a kick rather than pass, and the Panthers were able to shut the play down.

With abit more polish and composure, we can convert more of these chances to points.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Marki - 12 May 2024 2:34 PM

Yes i watched our game.
Alot of our line breaks involved a kick at some point which introduces abit of a lottery.

Would like to see us turn those half breaks on the fringes to draw and pass against the final line of defence rather than kick. Thats how you convert a higher number of them into certain points.

The pass wont always be on - i accept that. If its not last tackle, you can afford to take the tackle, aim for a quick PTB and spread to the side with low defensive numbers. 

From memory, only the Xerri forward pass to Foxx play was a non-kick play. The others from Foxx and Kiraz were both lottery plays that dont always come off.

The pleasing thing is that we created such plays. The unfortunate thing is that we were forced into a kick rather than pass, and the Panthers were able to shut the play down.

With abit more polish and composure, we can convert more of these chances to points.

What do you mean our linebreaks were involving kicks?

We broke their line six times. That can’t involve a kick. You can’t break the line with a kick. 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Yes Marki we need to finish our plays. 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Yes i watched our game.

So you've gone from 'we have no creativity' to 'its pleasing we created'... It's a step forward...
You even posted a completely positive post today without referencing yourself... I gave it a like...
You're building... Just like the Team...
😁
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Micko - 12 May 2024 2:45 PM
Yes Marki we need to finish our plays. 

'Micko and the Mock' podcast at its finest... 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 12 May 2024 1:46 PM
hounddog - 12 May 2024 12:21 PM

If we play as well as we did last night we win the next three maybe four games. A little bit more polish in finishing off our try’s and less mistakes we win them all by plenty. 

I’m surprised we are playing this well. No changes to the team needed. Just some basic passing and catching practice from our edges is all that is needed

I would think about replacing Salmon with another prop at some stage.

Sexton seems to be playing well in reserve grade, but when I rewatched the game,  Hutch set up the Burton try and did a lot of good work. 

The attack seems to be working well and we need to build combinations.

I have a feeling that the NSW SOO side will be mainly Roosters,  Sharks and Panthers.. But I think 3-4 dogs are in contention. 

If players like Sexton are patient they will get a chance sooner or later.
Edited
4 Months Ago by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Technically if the opposition defenders time travelled into the future and knew we would kick after making a linebreak and they would get the ball.... the kick caused the linebreak.
Edited
4 Months Ago by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

dman2018 - 12 May 2024 4:54 PM
Micko - 12 May 2024 2:45 PM

'Micko and the Mock' podcast at its finest... 

That could be fun. But the audience doesn’t get to see me constantly shaking my head. 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

hounddog - 12 May 2024 5:06 PM
Technically if the opposition defenders time travelled into the future and knew we would kick after making a linebreak and they would get the ball.... the kick caused the linebreak.

😂 it would be great coaching 
Marki
Marki
World Class

dman2018 - 12 May 2024 4:53 PM

So you've gone from 'we have no creativity' to 'its pleasing we created'... It's a step forward...
You even posted a completely positive post today without referencing yourself... I gave it a like...
You're building... Just like the Team...
😁

I was testing to see if you were still around...
Knew that post would trigger you.

You're like a hawk.
Speaking of the Hawks....they won back-to-back games this weekend. Positive signs all around.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Micko - 12 May 2024 7:17 PM
dman2018 - 12 May 2024 4:54 PM

That could be fun. But the audience doesn’t get to see me constantly shaking my head. 

I shook mine so much over the years it it barely attached...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Marki - 12 May 2024 7:32 PM

You're like a hawk.
Speaking of the Hawks....they won back-to-back games this weekend. Positive signs all around.

You're too clever for me... Great to hear the Hawks, whoever they are won consecutive games on the weekend... 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

You're like a hawk.

Seattle Seahawks?

Dr you are viewing NFL rookie training camp footage.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 12 May 2024 8:00 PM

You're too clever for me... Great to hear the Hawks, whoever they are won consecutive games on the weekend... 

We did that once in social sport after our real opposition turned up 3 hours late.

They were accounting, HR and insurance....so nearly as soft as AFL players.
Edited
4 Months Ago by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Same 17, Farmer, Taffee, Sexton, Wilson and Turpin reserves.

I think that all of the lads will travel to Brisbane.

Outside of injuries Farmer is an outside shot IMO.

Most likely injury Kiraz, Taaffe or Wilson would come in.

Any of the possible 17s should be good enough to beat Canberra.

I see this game as similar to the Tigers, Canberra will be determined and we need to be wary of a fast start from them. High completions ball movement and keeping the ball in play should wear them down.

A dry track is ideal, current forecast high chance of showers morning and afternoon. My gut feel, it will not take much for the rain to stay away.
Edited
4 Months Ago by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

hounddog - 14 May 2024 5:01 PM
Same 17, Farmer, Taffee, Sexton, Wilson and Turpin reserves.

I think that all of the lads will travel to Brisbane.

Outside of injuries Farmer is an outside shot IMO.

Most likely injury Kiraz, Taaffe or Wilson would come in.

Any of the possible 17s should be good enough to beat Canberra.

I see this game as similar to the Tigers, Canberra will be determined and we need to be wary of a fast start from them. High completions ball movement and keeping the ball in play should wear them down.

A dry track is ideal, current forecast high chance of showers morning and afternoon. My gut feel, it will not take much for the rain to stay away.

We need to knock over the Raiders. A convincing win and we are finals bound this year. 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

David Fifita staying at the Gold Coast. Sucked in Chicken Fuckers!!!!
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 15 May 2024 9:45 AM
hounddog - 14 May 2024 5:01 PM

We need to knock over the Raiders. A convincing win and we are finals bound this year. 

It is an important game for us, the majority of fans and experts now agree that we are a top 8 side.

We need to prove that we are a top 8 side by winning, regardless of how well the Raiders perform.

Reviewing our season todate we have often made more yards, more line breaks and had better field position than our opposition.

We lost a few games when our dominance suggested that we should have won, even against the Storm in Melbourne.

Looking at our attacking structures, I would not change any of the spine players and I would stick with the Mann / Hayward rotation at lock, perhaps the only change being give Mann more minutes at the back end. 

The last 3-4 weeks we have set up attacking structures very well at the opponent's end. 

I haven't rewatched the Souths game but that stands out as the game in which we didn't take opportunities. 

I also think Mann, Hutch and Tracey are better at throwing short passes than many think they are. Burton has even shown some vision and execution on long passes that wasn't there last season. 

We need to improve our end of set kicking at the opponent's end, perhaps Marhoney,  Tracey or Hayward taking the occasional kick might help.

Defensive lapses all need to be tidied up, IMO Hello Kitty, Taaffe and Turpin made the biggest errors. I might relent and keep Salmon in my side just because I don't 100% trust Farmer. However,  what I remember is Farmer is pretty good. 

So really we don't need radical changes in team composition,  defensive structures or attacking style, just a bit more focus and attention to detail at the right times and practice,  practice, practice. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search