The Aussies Abroad Thread 2

The Aussies Abroad Thread 2

Author
Quicky
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Irvine (C) and Metcalfe starting for St Pauli v Norwich.
samb
samb
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

I didn’t get to catch the Bayern game but reading through the Bayern reddit game thread and I’ve only seen positive comments regarding Irankunda. I was kinda hoping he would be sent on loan to a buli 2 team team but it really seems like he might be shaping up quite nicely to feature in the the first team to some degree this year! 

I’ve been following the overseas aussies for over a decade on this forum and I don’t think I’ve ever felt this excited about a player of ours, very keen for this season coming, not withholding the handful of other players we might see playing in the top five leagues this season.

SoccerooFan
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Devlin & Rowles both played 90 mins in a scoreless draw against Rangers. Devlin MOM on Fotmob. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

Cheers for updates everyone. Opening day for 96 and I'm many beers deep. Iredale starting.

Good to see Irankunda mentioned. Burgess will get his EPL minutes but Greaves oozes that young English skill and growth potential and has a good passing game. Can't wait for Luongo to finally be confirmed as an EPL player. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Apostolos on
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

https://youtu.be/gKd5KvkKFQI?si=q_U3AyaaHrEsyWZh

Irankunda with some scenes at the end. I think Kompany will be glad to have Irankunda in the matchday squad. Doesn't look out of place with his explosive power and swift shooting. 
dr. bellows
dr. bellows
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

John Hutchinson's Yokohama Marinos defeated Newcastle United 2-0 yesterday.
Boonjeh
Boonjeh
Hacker
Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)

What a nice way to spend a Saturday night after what seems like forever since the last football season. 
After watching the Aus Cup match at 7:30 (very enjoyable watch as a neutral), I started watching Bayern once Irankunda came on. Then I finished the night by watching Hearts v Rangers. 
A couple of thoughts from what I saw:
Bayern v Tottenham
Irankunda, as others have said, did not look out of place. He was brought on in that transition point where teams still had some first team players out and some fringe players. He played with much more confidence and direction when he had a few more of the first team players behind him. As soon as they subbed off Stanisic (CB) and brought on some younger defenders, the left hand side lost its shape a bit. They had a young guy (maybe Aseko-Nkili?) who always seemed to get passed the ball in the LB position/from the goalie and he almost never moved the ball forward and constantly turned back into pressure. There were countless times when Nestory had space in front and either passed it back to that guy for a give-and-go or was available for a forward run and the guy just didn’t even consider it. Then, the one time when Nes got the ball in front of him, he outran the defence and got his shot away (he did have no support runners though). I guess, my conclusion is that, with someone like Guerreiro behind him and a few other mids who can hit a pass, I can imagine he will be a dangerous asset late in games. However, you could also see that he needs to work on his positioning and off the ball movement when in defence. Kompany was constantly gesturing to him and yelling at him to move back quickly.
From what the commentators were saying, it seems that Kompany is really trying to work with Irankunda and improve these aspects of his game.

Hearts v Rangers
I’m a Celtic supporter, so I was happy with the result lol. Also, Devlin and Rowles were being singled out for their good scrambling in defence and ability to close the Rangers players down. Devlin was everywhere and put himself about really well when disrupting play. Rowles did well towards the end to fend off a couple of dangerous attacks, including one where he was the lady defender and the ball had gone past the goalie. It wasn’t really a goal line clearance, but it was him being in the right place at the right time. 
The end of the game was pretty scrappy though. You could tell that match fitness wasn’t all there yet. So many misplaced passes from both teams (especially Hearts). 

I’m looking forward to spending more weekends like this. Bring on football season!

Boonjeh
Boonjeh
Hacker
Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)

Boonjeh - 4 Aug 2024 3:16 PM
What a nice way to spend a Saturday night after what seems like forever since the last football season. 
After watching the Aus Cup match at 7:30 (very enjoyable watch as a neutral), I started watching Bayern once Irankunda came on. Then I finished the night by watching Hearts v Rangers. 
Bayern v Tottenham
Irankunda, as others have said, did not look out of place. He was brought on in that transition point where teams still had some first team players out and some fringe players. He played with much more confidence and direction when he had a few more of the first team players behind him. As soon as they subbed off Stanisic (CB) and brought on some younger defenders, the left hand side lost its shape a bit. They had a young guy (maybe Aseko-Nkili?) who always seemed to get passed the ball in the LB position/from the goalie and he almost never moved the ball forward and constantly turned back into pressure. There were countless times when Nestory had space in front and either passed it back to that guy for a give-and-go or was available for a forward run and the guy just didn’t even consider it. Then, the one time when Nes got the ball in front of him, he outran the defence and got his shot away (he did have no support runners though). I guess, my conclusion is that, with someone like Guerreiro behind him and a few other mids who can hit a pass, I can imagine he will be a dangerous asset late in games. However, you could also see that he needs to work on his positioning and off the ball movement when in defence. Kompany was constantly gesturing to him and yelling at him to move back quickly.
From what the commentators were saying, it seems that Kompany is really trying to work with Irankunda and improve these aspects of his game.

Hearts v Rangers
I’m a Celtic supporter, so I was happy with the result lol. Also, Devlin and Rowles were being singled out for their good scrambling in defence and ability to close the Rangers players down. Devlin was everywhere and put himself about really well when disrupting play. Rowles did well towards the end to fend off a couple of dangerous attacks, including one where he was the lady defender and the ball had gone past the goalie. It wasn’t really a goal line clearance, but it was him being in the right place at the right time. 
The end of the game was pretty scrappy though. You could tell that match fitness wasn’t all there yet. So many misplaced passes from both teams (especially Hearts). 

I’m looking forward to spending more weekends like this. Bring on football season!

Edit: my last post was supposed to say Rowles was the *LAST* defender, not the “lady” defender. I don’t know what happened there haha. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Chipperfield got 10 minutes

Born 2004 so time is on his side and getting subbed on each match. Hope he gets some starts this year
Boonjeh
Boonjeh
Hacker

Strain listed as injured with a hamstring injury until late October. Dundee United v Dundee FC tonight. It’s a shame because that game is at a nice watchable time. 
Quicky
Quicky
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Boonjeh - 4 Aug 2024 3:16 PM
Bayern v Tottenham

Hearts v Rangers

It's really positive early signs for Irankunda. It's exciting to see. 

It's also good to see Devlin and Rowles in good form.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

farrell picked up a knock, out for 2 weeks and will miss the first game
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 4 Aug 2024 9:51 PM
farrell picked up a knock, out for 2 weeks and will miss the first game

Ah damn. May not have played anyway and I'll say this; it keeps him from being scapegoated right away if Leeds really turn it on. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Mabil with an hour in a 3:0 loss. Liege on later. We're definitely back with numerous Leagues underway. 

Bundesliga 2 with 3 new clubs which is refreshing. 

Randers with a big away game at FC Copenhagen. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Boonjeh - 4 Aug 2024 9:08 PM
Strain listed as injured with a hamstring injury until late October. Dundee United v Dundee FC tonight. It’s a shame because that game is at a nice watchable time. 

Ouch. At least we (as fans) have absolute clarity on this now. Sometimes the info is vague and we're left wondering how this affects national team selection. 

No bloody idea what Atkinson is doing. Miller playing. Jones looks a shoe in then. This is frustrating with the A League also starting later. Deng might be brought in also. 

If Arnold is going to insist on inverting then Baccus or even Circati can hang around that spot of the pitch. 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators

With Atkinson not registered by Hearts and still without a new club, that leaves Miller and Jones as the two remaining RBs for the next couple of Socceroos windows. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

J League appears on a break or cup weekend?

Bailey Wright with 3 goals in 10 games in Singapore and probably enjoying life there. 

Reading J League to start in August from 2026. 
Quicky
Quicky
Semi-Pro

Bowden - 4 Aug 2024 10:05 PM

With Atkinson not registered by Hearts and still without a new club, that leaves Miller and Jones as the two remaining RBs for the next couple of Socceroos windows. 

We're very thin at RB. I wonder if they would try Circati there? Deng, Degenek, Peupion, Italiano long shots. Anyone worth a look from the AL? 
Quicky
Quicky
Semi-Pro

johnszasz - 4 Aug 2024 10:01 PM
Mabil with an hour in a 3:0 loss. Liege on later. We're definitely back with numerous Leagues underway. 

Bundesliga 2 with 3 new clubs which is refreshing. 

Randers with a big away game at FC Copenhagen. 

I can't wait to see how O'Neill, Toure and Izzo go! O'Neill's first league game as captain. 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quicky - 4 Aug 2024 10:33 PM

We're very thin at RB. I wonder if they would try Circati there? Deng, Degenek, Peupion, Italiano long shots. Anyone worth a look from the AL? 

Personally I’d love to see Bovalina brought in for a look. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

I like Aiden Simmons. 

It's clear Jones will be picked but is like Circati and Deng to do a job or use the popular system of a winger on one side and a centre mid doing a lot of the cover work with the winger. Something like Irankunda and Baccus working in the right corner. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Miller and boyle starting, toure a sub again.

Hope toure wins the starting spot by seasons end, certainly putting pressure on
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Really impressed with mo toure. I dont recal having a strimer as good as him in the a league era

Red card for their starting striker too so should start next week
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Darrigo unused sub last two games after a decent first game. Weird

Westerlo top of the ladder. Oniell with a strong game winnin 1 nil. They parked the bus. Oniell should have scored a header
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 5 Aug 2024 2:09 AM
Really impressed with mo toure. I dont recal having a strimer as good as him in the a league era

Red card for their starting striker too so should start next week

Solid result for Randers. Scorer subbed early which must have been injury then red a few minutes later. Wise moves to Denmark to really shale the cobwebs off. Ikon had his day but go to Denmark too young or raw and it won't end well either. 

As discussed Duke has a role to play and now with 2 up top we'll get to see the others actually on the pitch.
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Metcalfe did well filling in there a few times last year.
Stensness is pretty versitile too 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Denis G played second half in a 0-0 friendly 
Bruce Ramsay
Bruce Ramsay
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)Hardcore Fan (282 reputation)

In Croatia, Anthony Kalik a full game for Hajduk in a 2-1 win and Fran Karacic also a full game in a 4-0 loss for Lokomotiva. 
Quicky
Quicky
Semi-Pro

Aussies Abroad wrap-up:
https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/socceroos-abroad-scottish-premiership-kicks-irvine-scores-pre-season

Irvine scored for St Pauli in 3-1 win v Norwich.

Hibs must still be trash this year losing 3-0 to St Mirren with Miller and Boyle playing. 

Ryan was on bench for Roma v Olympiacos. 

Circati was a sub for Parma in pre-season. 

Stensness full game for Viking. 

Big result for Liege with 1-0 win over Brugges - awseome for O'Neill as captain. 

A 1-1 draw for Randers v Copenhagen also impressive for Izzo and Toure. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search