BDP

Author
hounddog
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Micko - 22 Aug 2024 3:10 PM
Zef - 22 Aug 2024 9:09 AM

That’s my point though. We have all been wrong about coaches. And there is no reason we can’t be wrong about Ciraldo. I’m full of praise for him and hope he can continue this great run. I guess I’m just lacking the confidence that you are. 

From what I have seen he will be a great coach for us. And may be the one that takes us to another premiership. I just want to see how he finishes this season before going ‘all in’ on him. 

We have a tough last 3 games, teams are even this year. 

On paper the Warriors are a good side and close to full strength, as are we 

Most agree that the Sharks, Dogs, Manly and Cows are pretty evenly matched, and one of those 4 teams is a top 4 side.

I think that we should beat the Warriors, but it will be a tough game. 

Next week we have Manly and that might be a shoot out for top 4, if not on the table, on form.

My impression is that Manly are more inconsistent than us and much more prone to patches of weak defence.

Regardless, Cirro has already exceeded expectations and I can't see a reason why we would go backwards. 

Beaten by the better side on the day can always happen. Beaten by the side that wants it more will not happen.

None of our recent coaches achieved this much improvement in a single season. Certainly not Pay and Baz. Des in 2012 is the closest parallel. But we already know what went wrong after 2012.

We are ahead of schedule, no one knew that we would still be in contention from top 4 at this stage of the season. 

My thinking used to be that 5 years is the ideal term for a coach. Certainly Folksy stayed too long.

If a coach wins a premiership then perhaps give them a few more years. If a coach hasn't won after 5 years they probably are not winning.  If they make the 8 one year then miss the next 2 years, they probably are not winning. 
Edited
Last Month by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Ecause Cirro is the first coach since Gus that I am 100% happy with. 

Yes, I have always thought that the switch from Gus to Chris Anderson was a mistake and the first sign that our club wad losing its way.

We could have banked lots of premierships with Gus coaching us

But Gus would never have supported Super League, which was the second indicator that we were losing our way.

Super league was tricky, because we were almost forced to do it, but there probably were alternatives.

Oasis was the third, not the idea, the clumsy execution.

And the salary cap debacle was the sealer.

Now everyone respects and likes us again, Parra fans don’t count.
Edited
Last Month by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

hounddog - 22 Aug 2024 5:52 PM
Ecause Cirro is the first coach since Gus that I am 100% happy with. 

Yes, I have always thought that the switch from Gus to Chris Anderson was a mistake and the first sign that our club wad losing its way.

We could have banked lots of premierships with Gus coaching us

But Gus would never have supported Super League, which was the second indicator that we were losing our way.

Super league was tricky, because we were almost forced to do it, but there probably were alternatives.

Oasis was the third, not the idea, the clumsy execution.

And the salary cap debacle was the sealer.

Now everyone respects and likes us again, Parra fans don’t count.

It’s been a tough few decades. Let’s hope we see a repeat of our success in the 80’s soon. 

Ciraldo certainly can do it. But he definitely needs a better roster

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 22 Aug 2024 6:09 PM
hounddog - 22 Aug 2024 5:52 PM

It’s been a tough few decades. Let’s hope we see a repeat of our success in the 80’s soon. 

Ciraldo certainly can do it. But he definitely needs a better roster

I don't think our roster is perfect.

Prop is definitely a position we should strengthen.

As good as the attack is I think that we need more X-Factor. 

Karl O and 2 good props might get us there.

If Cirro is the kinds of coach I think he is we should peak in 2027, probably with Woods at halfback.

Getting a bit better each year,  but probably at a slowing rate.
Edited
Last Month by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

hounddog - 22 Aug 2024 7:40 PM
Micko - 22 Aug 2024 6:09 PM

I don't think our roster is perfect.

Prop is definitely a position we should strengthen.

As good as the attack is I think that we need more X-Factor. 

Karl O and 2 good props might get us there.

If Cirro is the kinds of coach I think he is we should peak in 2027, probably with Woods at halfback.

Woods is the key. 

I’ll go all in on this one. Haven’t seen a better half come through our grades. Woods is more important than anybody in getting us that premiership 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Karl Oloapu starting at 13 would be perfect. Just imagine him playing that Bailey Hayward role. Mann off the bench to add that punch. Hopefully he can get back to first grade. 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

I still think we need a very strong bench. Similar to 2004. 

Karl could be Thurston. 
Curran could be Maitua. 
We just need an Asotassi. 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

And of course another SBW. But that’s very hard to find. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 22 Aug 2024 7:44 PM
Karl Oloapu starting at 13 would be perfect. Just imagine him playing that Bailey Hayward role. Mann off the bench to add that punch. Hopefully he can get back to first grade. 

He is OK to play now. Should be back next year 13 in our side will suit him.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Come on Tiger pies, just need to play the percentages in attack.

And improve the numbering up in defence. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Yeah baby - It's the vibe...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Nice...

Dragons, Tigers, and Dogs the in form teams of the comp... 😉
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

dman2018 - 22 Aug 2024 9:48 PM
Nice...

Dragons, Tigers, and Dogs the in form teams of the comp... 😉

The salary cap is working!!!...
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Turbo is wasted playing for that rabble. 

Would have had more chance of winning if the other 12 were in the bin.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

We need to beat the Warriors. 

Parra need to lose their last 3 games to claim the spoon they deserve.

We need Dragons to beat Sharks.

Then winning our last 3 should have us top 4.

I don't want to play the Dragons week 1. Broncos would also be tough, but home ground advantage should do it for us.

Storm in Melbourne week 1 is a great challenge and even if we lose we get another shot.

Cirro is right the last 3 rounds are great prep for the semis.

Being in contention and playing semis is great experience, our players and coaches will learn a lot.

And if we can get the job done,  the boost to confidence is fantastic. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

I think that the Dragons can beat the Sharks. 

I am not impressed with the play making smarts of either side.

Sharks will not run over the top of the Dragons. 

Sharks have a better bench. Dragons should replace Lawrie with ..... well anyone. Bill Gates isn't listed as a reserve.  Damn shame, we don't know how Bill would go at prop :)
Edited
Last Month by hounddog
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 23 Aug 2024 9:33 AM
I think that the Dragons can beat the Sharks. 

I am not impressed with the play making smarts of either side.

Sharks will not run over the top of the Dragons. 

Sharks have a better bench. Dragons should replace Lawrie with ..... well anyone. Bill Gates isn't listed as a reserve.  Damn shame, we don't know how Bill would go at prop :)

He'd kill it...
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Pass a bit forward to Capewell for a try.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

We are going to get flogged tonight. Because of shit coaching. Don’t blame the refs. We haven’t turned up. Poor attitude. Poor performance. 
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Micko, ye of little faith. The Dogs will step up a gear in the 2nd half.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

ODF - 23 Aug 2024 6:50 PM
Micko, ye of little faith. The Dogs will step up a gear in the 2nd half.

I really hope so mate. And if we do it would cement Ciraldo as a damn good coach. I think they go on with this still. But great fight back. 

I just don’t understand how the whole team come out of the blocks so slow. Should have been ready. 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Sign Ciraldo for life. I agree with Zef. What a fucking win!!!
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

I think we have a few suspensions after that game. We were lucky to have three not in the bin. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Just happy to win that one. 

What happened to Presto?
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Any players that get suspended get a rest. Hopefully not too many. 

Reserve grade have been flogged the last few weeks. Perhaps some guys are not being resigned.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Presto is OK, we were just giving him a rest.

How about Mann?

No injuries or suspensions from this game will be a bonus.
Edited
Last Month by hounddog
zoz2015
zoz2015
Hacker
Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)

That was a good win tonight. Warriors had everything to play for Johnsons last game which I'm glad we ruined. Sometimes that guy has given us hell. . I think the team played well. The first half was a bit slow but it is the way we do things at the moment, I think we're in for a big rest of the year. 
ODF
ODF
Pro

I don't know why I think it, but it's like they are pacing themselves and learning when to kick up a gear. Getting primed for the finals. Just a thought.
dogdoctor
dogdoctor
Fan
Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)

hounddog - 23 Aug 2024 8:16 PM
Presto is OK, we were just giving him a rest.

How about Mann?

No injuries or suspensions from this game will be a bonus.

Mann was holding the sterno- clavicular joint ie. where the collarbone meets the sternum - frigen painful and could be mild with injections for the rest of the year,or bigger issue- He and Curren may've run out of luck- hope not

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dogdoctor - 23 Aug 2024 8:34 PM
hounddog - 23 Aug 2024 8:16 PM

Mann was holding the sterno- clavicular joint ie. where the collarbone meets the sternum - frigen painful and could be mild with injections for the rest of the year,or bigger issue- He and Curren may've run out of luck- hope not

Curran will be right for the semis.

Mann will probably play as well. Players are tough.

Mann seems to get injured everytime he is playing really well,  probably not just at the Dogs.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search