BDP

Author
dman2018
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Micko - 30 Aug 2024 8:06 PM
dman2018 - 30 Aug 2024 7:57 PM

I hope we smash the Cows next week. It’s a must win now. 

We played footy at the end when it didn’t matter. Need a much better attitude going in next week. That loss should have embarrassed the whole team. It was a pathetic effort. 

I can’t get over how bad Skelton was. Cost us at least two try’s in attack and defence. He was as bad as any player. Very glad he signed with the Tigpies. 

I get the feeling after the easy first try we thought we had it win and stopped putting in effort. That and some very lucky  bounces of the ball for Manly with all the field position from getting destroyed in the middle. We were no chance. 

Such a shit way to lose

We played footy all game.. we just didn't execute...and when you're playing bad, and behind by plenty it matters as much as ever... 
You call call it embarrassing..., I'll call it a kick in thebum, a reality check.. which is not a bad thing right now...
You opined "here we go again' like we were about to 60 put us.. we didn't...
Anyone that ever rated Skelton had no idea... just like people that wanted Burto 4...
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

hounddog - 30 Aug 2024 8:12 PM
Micko - 30 Aug 2024 8:06 PM

I wasn't too worried when Skelton left.

Just a bad day at the office and Manly played well in the first half.

We are going to have to beat the Cows with whoever we have. 

We definitely missed Mann and Critter, Burton and perhaps Xerri out next week. 

I hope Cirro can get us in shape for the Cows. 

I thought we could make Skelton into somebody. But he took the money and ran. Very poor form. 

I think Burto plays next week. Xeri hopefully will just get a fine. Nothing in it. Critter back we should be a good chance. 

Just have to tyre their big forward pack out. Should be easier than Manly. I really hope we get to play Saints in the first final. I’m not confident against many others. 

dogdoctor
dogdoctor
Fan
Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)

A game where you would say we didn't deserve to win but there were many moments where one thing led to another. Turbo try was lucky and there was certainly doubt over Saab's try  - why not at least go upstairs for a look. Skelton blew a chance which he can do.  Salmon ok as link but okay only. So missed Mann there. He will go ok but Hayward possibly should start. So half time it could have a been 12-12. Burto scores and we would have been up.And before people say that Manly won the middle it has been the case that we have still won despite conceding thru the middle because other teams have'nt offloaded so well because of our scramble usually wins. Mann again.

Then second half Kikau scores and it was game on big time. The we lose Burton and its game over despite good effort and fight.
Hayward tried hard but defensive combination with kikau and Xerri was tested and failed. Hayes really showing  glimpses of his passing game as a edge second rower

Manly defence was superb really on our left.Garrick superb.

So not wrist slitting stuff. Sexy great, Tracy best for us ,forwards all did well without dominating.

Play that game again and it would not take much for a win

Critta back releases Kiraz to do his stuff on the wing because Skelton needs early ball and was shown up a bit
dman2018
dman2018
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Micko - 30 Aug 2024 8:28 PM
hounddog - 30 Aug 2024 8:12 PM

I thought we could make Skelton into somebody. But he took the money and ran. Very poor form. 

I think Burto plays next week. Xeri hopefully will just get a fine. Nothing in it. Critter back we should be a good chance. 

Just have to tyre their big forward pack out. Should be easier than Manly. I really hope we get to play Saints in the first final. I’m not confident against many others. 

Nope... we let him go... good form by us... I wish him the best and hope he kicks on elsewhere,... his D was always an issue... and D is our foundation.. he ain't better that Shiraz or Foxx by a long way...on either side of the ball...

NO manncrush on both sides of ball will UN,likely be mentioned elsewhere but was sorely missed... 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 30 Aug 2024 8:23 PM
dman2018 - 30 Aug 2024 8:12 PM

I’m far from wrong mate. Manly played well tonight but have played better this year. Against all the top four sides. They can go with any of them. And it’s because their props destroyed ours. It sucks but it’s true. Mason will let you know more about that on this weeks podcast. 

I’ll agree we weren’t up for the game and can potentially beat Manly if we can mitigate the loss in the ruck. That game looked like a lot of games from last year where we lost the ruck easily. 

Like I have said many times. We are just lacking the size to go with the top four. Maybe even the Cows and Eagles. Our work effort and attitude has been good most of the year. This game was an anomaly. 

My point is next year we need to sign some big mobile forwards. Or at the least bring some young ones through. We also will be much better with experience from this year. 

Sometimes a loss like this just happens. 

We are up against bigger forwards most games.

Lack of size was always the question mark on us, but fundamentally we played a lot worse than we normally do.

There were some worrying signs against the Warriors, but the Warriors made more mistakes than Manly.

I would have liked to see us try a few new players and develop a deeper squad over the last few weeks, we are a skinny squad and some players are probably injured. 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

dogdoctor - 30 Aug 2024 8:34 PM
A game where you would say we didn't deserve to win but there were many moments where one thing led to another. Turbo try was lucky and there was certainly doubt over Saab's try  - why not at least go upstairs for a look. Skelton blew a chance which he can do.  Salmon ok as link but okay only. So missed Mann there. He will go ok but Hayward possibly should start. So half time it could have a been 12-12. Burto scores and we would have been up.And before people say that Manly won the middle it has been the case that we have still won despite conceding thru the middle because other teams have'nt offloaded so well because of our scramble usually wins. Mann again.

Then second half Kikau scores and it was game on big time. The we lose Burton and its game over despite good effort and fight.
Hayward tried hard but defensive combination with kikau and Xerri was tested and failed. Hayes really showing  glimpses of his passing game as a edge second rower

Manly defence was superb really on our left.Garrick superb.

So not wrist slitting stuff. Sexy great, Tracy best for us ,forwards all did well without dominating.

Play that game again and it would not take much for a win

Critta back releases Kiraz to do his stuff on the wing because Skelton needs early ball and was shown up a bit

Naiked it...

If Micko is Mock.. You am I... 

God name for a band....
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 30 Aug 2024 8:34 PM
Micko - 30 Aug 2024 8:28 PM

Nope... we let him go... good form by us... I wish him the best and hope he kicks on elsewhere,... his D was always an issue... and D is our foundation.. he ain't better that Shiraz or Foxx by a long way...on either side of the ball...

NO manncrush on both sides of ball will UN,likely be mentioned elsewhere but was sorely missed... 

I agree that the loss of Mann was big and we didn't adapt well.

The dropped balls,  missed tackles, bad reads, etc, just wasn't us
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

hounddog - 30 Aug 2024 8:35 PM

Lack of size was always the question mark on us, but fundamentally we played a lot worse than we normally do.

There were some worrying signs against the Warriors, but the Warriors made more mistakes than Manly.

I would have liked to see us try a few new players and develop a deeper squad over the last few weeks, we are a skinny squad and some players are probably injured. 

I was actually excited about this game. But nervous as well. I thought that if we could beat them through the middle like we have against most of the bigger sides we could get a win. But we looked like boys playing men. 

I wish Mason shut up about Presecko. He destroyed us though the middle. I’m pretty sure he heard what Mase said. 

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

dman2018 - 30 Aug 2024 8:12 PM

I’m far from wrong mate. Manly played well tonight but have played better this year. Against all the top four sides. They can go with any of them. And it’s because their props destroyed ours. It sucks but it’s true. Mason will let you know more about that on this weeks podcast. 

I’ll agree we weren’t up for the game and can potentially beat Manly if we can mitigate the loss in the ruck. That game looked like a lot of games from last year where we lost the ruck easily. 

Like I have said many times. We are just lacking the size to go with the top four. Maybe even the Cows and Eagles. Our work effort and attitude has been good most of the year. This game was an anomaly. 

My point is next year we need to sign some big mobile forwards. Or at the least bring some young ones through. We also will be much better with experience from this year. 

Nope.. wrong... ;) 

Hopefully Mase can say Fvuck every e3cond word.. which is why I don't listen... plus I love all thos3 ex props that lead a team to premiegkory as a coach...

Lacking size... what an insight!!!... just awful how it has impacted us this season to dates

Next year???... Cool.. go to Hawaii now and plan for nexy year... I'd reckon our mob are more focussed on the next 6 weeks...
B

zoz2015
zoz2015
Hacker
Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)Hacker (305 reputation)

All is ok I think the loss was needed . Like someone mentioned it had been a tough month for the team with all the travelling. I think with Critter back they should take care of the Cows .  
Skelton maybe should not play again as it looks like he is  already counting his money he is getting from the Tiggers . 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 30 Aug 2024 8:43 PM

I was actually excited about this game. But nervous as well. I thought that if we could beat them through the middle like we have against most of the bigger sides we could get a win. But we looked like boys playing men. 

I wish Mason shut up about Presecko. He destroyed us though the middle. I’m pretty sure he heard what Mase said. 

Games often go with posession,  especially early posession. 

They got a fair amount of ball from our errors in the first half. 

I hope that was a one off performance and we have learned some valuable lessons. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

zoz2015 - 30 Aug 2024 8:49 PM
All is ok I think the loss was needed . Like someone mentioned it had been a tough month for the team with all the travelling. I think with Critter back they should take care of the Cows .  
Skelton maybe should not play again as it looks like he is  already counting his money he is getting from the Tiggers . 

Skelton is from a Rugby 7s background, still learning the defensive side of the game. 

Occasionally he is good a catching kicks, but he often just stands there as a spectator.

Still learning the game, but I hope he goes well at the Tigers. 

With a skinny squad, playing with a lit of energy each week, I hope that we are not burned out. 

The extra days rest before the next game should be good for us.  The guys need a good rest over the weekend and we need to nail the preparation.

Edited
Last Month by hounddog
dogdoctor
dogdoctor
Fan
Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)

dman2018 - 30 Aug 2024 8:43 PM
on their  'ucken podcaston their  'ucken podcast
Nope.. wrong... ;) 

Hopefully Mase can say Fvuck every e3cond word.. which is why I don't listen... plus I love all thos3 ex props that lead a team to premiegkory as a coach...

Lacking size... what an insight!!!... just awful how it has impacted us this season to dates

Next year???... Cool.. go to Hawaii now and plan for nexy year... I'd reckon our mob are more focussed on the next 6 weeks...
B

Yes its 'ucken funny  with 'ucken mason -  'ucken love the guy cause he  is a 'ucken born again Dog but he often 'ucken contradicts his 'ucken self with the "small ball talk but we need big poopers in the middle" talk and he 'ucken swears like 'ucken truck driver on 'ucken frday night at 'ucken closing time at the 'ucken club- He didn't notice that mann went off v warriors injured  and then didn't even 'ucken realise he would be out for the 'ucken season  . It would be a good 10 minute podcast without the 'ucken for 'ucken sake  b..shit language
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 30 Aug 2024 8:41 PM
dman2018 - 30 Aug 2024 8:34 PM

I agree that the loss of Mann was big and we didn't adapt well.

The dropped balls,  missed tackles, bad reads, etc, just wasn't us

Bad reads indeed...

Territory for example don't most of his wrong next week...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

dman2018 - 30 Aug 2024 9:32 PM
hounddog - 30 Aug 2024 8:41 PM

Bad reads indeed...

Territory for example don't most of his wrong next week...

*Xerri don't...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 30 Aug 2024 8:54 PM

Skelton is from a Rugby 7s background, still learning the defensive side of the game. 

Occasionally he is good a catching kicks, but he often just stands there as a spectator.

Still learning the game, but I hope he goes well at the Tigers. 

With a skinny squad, playing with a lit of energy each week, I hope that we are not burned out. 

The extra days rest before the next game should be good for us.  The guys need a good rest over the weekend and we need to nail the preparation.

Presser says it all...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Don't know about the Count DeMonet as opposed to just ain't there as a 1st grader yet... in a good side like ours...

#historyoftheworldpart1...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

I don't think we have beat most  sides through the middle.. we've held our own or been sllightly in A,(which noone expected) and beat them with D and out wide with our centre at 6 and the 7 with no mouth...

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 30 Aug 2024 9:34 PM
hounddog - 30 Aug 2024 8:54 PM

Presser says it all...

I agree that the Presser was spot on.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 30 Aug 2024 9:44 PM

I don't think we have beat most  sides through the middle.. we've held our own or been sllightly in A,(which noone expected) and beat them with D and out wide with our centre at 6 and the 7 with no mouth...

Normally we don't concede as many tries regardless of the yardage battle.

Manly have some fast outside backs but our scramble, contact and reads were off.

A bit like that early against the Warriors..

The Fins game was the last time we played really well. 

5 wins in row from some tough games. 

What we don't want round 1 of the semis is the Cows in Townsville. Easier to beat them on our home patch.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Much agreed. Particularly the fact that Warriors didnt make us pay by making errors and inviting us back in. Manly just shut us out and our errors and lack of size meant we couldnt match it with them.

This game proved how vulnerable we can be by relying on defence too much. Our errors in both attack and defence ultimately cost us.

Disappointing that they saved that kind of performance in front of 36k fans at home. But at least they know how the crowd can be in a big game. 

Really need to beat Cows now to ensure a home semi. Hope this was just a bad day at office.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

I should also mention the schooling DCE gave us.... His kicking game was spot on. Garricks goalkicking demoralising given we knew 4 turned to 6.

I have noticed poor positioning from Tracy on a number of occassions and games now. Hes not a very good positional fullback at all. Someone needs to do some Slater and Gutho videos with him to teach him how to anticipate kicks and most of all, how to make a fullbacks tackle hut leave the marker position and take his next spot.

Far too many times, he is caught at or near marker and we concede a try in a spread play because hes not even in the frame.

Hope the coaches spot this and work on it with him. He is otherwise good at backline movements with ball in hand.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 31 Aug 2024 7:59 AM
I should also mention the schooling DCE gave us.... His kicking game was spot on. Garricks goalkicking demoralising given we knew 4 turned to 6.

I have noticed poor positioning from Tracy on a number of occassions and games now. Hes not a very good positional fullback at all. Someone needs to do some Slater and Gutho videos with him to teach him how to anticipate kicks and most of all, how to make a fullbacks tackle hut leave the marker position and take his next spot.

Far too many times, he is caught at or near marker and we concede a try in a spread play because hes not even in the frame.

Hope the coaches spot this and work on it with him. He is otherwise good at backline movements with ball in hand.

I agree with Gus, we learn more from our losses and this week was one of the last losses we can afford to have.

As far as I know no team has come from the bottom of the table several seasons in a row to winning the comp in one season. 

If we do it we will be the first.

I still think that we are at least a chance because any team in the 8 is a chance,  slim chance but not totally impossible.

It is going to come down to how fast our coaches and players can adapt and learn, 50-50s on the day, and if we have the talent to cover injuries,  suspensions, HIAs.

Still a big step forward this season regardless and I am backing us to win a home semi week 1. Next week we  need to ensure that we get that home semi week 1. That is going to come back to how fast we can adapt and learn and get  back to our best footy in attack and defence. 

I will only be disappointed if we never manage to get back to our best.
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

I was disappointed last night. We were flat and Manly were up for the game, they were the better side and didn't need all the leg ups that Klein and Sutton afforded them, but then again what do you expect from that clown show? 
The non sin bins were a payback from the nrLOL and the stooges delivered perfectly. I hope the Skelton experiment is deadand buried because he was a passenger and cost us 18 points.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

hounddog - 31 Aug 2024 8:31 AM
Marki - 31 Aug 2024 7:59 AM

I agree with Gus, we learn more from our losses and this week was one of the last losses we can afford to have.

As far as I know no team has come from the bottom of the table several seasons in a row to winning the comp in one season. 

If we do it we will be the first.

I still think that we are at least a chance because any team in the 8 is a chance,  slim chance but not totally impossible.

It is going to come down to how fast our coaches and players can adapt and learn, 50-50s on the day, and if we have the talent to cover injuries,  suspensions, HIAs.

Still a big step forward this season regardless and I am backing us to win a home semi week 1. Next week we  need to ensure that we get that home semi week 1. That is going to come back to how fast we can adapt and learn and get  back to our best footy in attack and defence. 

I will only be disappointed if we never manage to get back to our best.

I’m thinking the same. 

Our goal needs to be winning our home final. That needed to be the first major goal two months ago. I think we can do this as long as we get all our players on the park. I really hope Burto and Xeri can play. It will be very hard against the Cows without them. 

Smaller goals are controlling and slowing the ruck from good contact in tackles because of fast line speed. We desperately need this and can do this against the Cows. 

I think the team expected an easy win after scoring that first try so easily. But we were already losing the forward battle and lost the ruck. Four Manly forwards made over a hundred meters against us. That hasn’t happened much if ever this year. We didn’t hunt as a pack. 

I still think we are short one or two big props. Stephano would have been ideal. You could tell Gus was very disappointed missing out on him. Hopefully there is somebody else. I hope we sign two very big props for next year. 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

ODF - 31 Aug 2024 9:18 AM
I was disappointed last night. We were flat and Manly were up for the game, they were the better side and didn't need all the leg ups that Klein and Sutton afforded them, but then again what do you expect from that clown show? 
The non sin bins were a payback from the nrLOL and the stooges delivered perfectly. I hope the Skelton experiment is deadand buried because he was a passenger and cost us 18 points.

Yes. Very disappointed in Skelton. Problem is who else do we gave. Wilson is injured. And we haven’t given Clark enough first grade game time. 

Hopefully Critta and Xeri are good to go next week. I’m assuming Fox will be sweet as well. It’s a bad time to start getting injuries. 

ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Another big factor and one you cannot gauge watching on tv is the 10metres. Klein had us back 12 to Manlys 8 all game. No excuse but a leg up all the same.
Edited
Last Month by ODF
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Our win loss record against the rest of the final eight teams looks about right. 

Melbourne 1 loss
Penrith 1 loss
Roosters 1 win 1 loss
Sharks 1 loss 1 win
Cowboys 1 loss
Manly 1 loss
Saints 2 wins

If we beat the Cowboys we likely deserve our fifth place. More importantly this should improve next year. We just need to beat teams outside the eight ruthlessly. And break even or better with other top four teams. Hopefully we get another good draw. 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Xeri out for next week if we take the early guilty plea. Fuck
ODF
ODF
Pro

Micko, I wouldn't stress mate, chillax, it's just a glitch in the Matrix. Neo Crichton is back next week..... he can stop those bullets.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search