NPL 2024 Thread

NPL 2024 Thread

Author
AnthonyC
Amateur
Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)Amateur (629 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
AnthonyC - 8 Sep 2024 2:59 PM
Totti10 - 8 Sep 2024 11:30 AM
NPL grand finals always get good crowds. It's the lack of crowds during the season that's the problem.

And Bossley park is only 15 odd minutes away.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

The Victorian grand final yesterday had 3000-3500 max i reckon. Very dissapointing and no doubt the choice of venue and day played a part. 6,000+ when the 2 teams met in the grand final at Lakeside in 2016 and almost 5,000 in the driving rain 2 years ago.

But fv headquarters could care less because they get the venue for free.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

CONGRATS Marconi !
Nice win what a 2nd half season.
Been a long time between trophy’s.

Love Football

Edited
Last Week by LFC.
Beretta
Beretta
Hacker
Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)

Totti10 - 8 Sep 2024 11:30 AM
Just under 5000 spectators not to bad considering it’s not to close to  Rockdale or bossley park 

only 4,500 last night.
pretty poor considering how Rockdale like to gloat they are the biggest and best fan base in NSW lol 
Beretta
Beretta
Hacker
Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)Hacker (462 reputation)

LFC. - 8 Sep 2024 5:07 PM
CONGRATS Marconi !
Nice win what a 2nd of half season.

Well Deserved. 
Rockdale choked in the waratah cup final and now the big dance. 
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Interestingly the minor premier in Vic, NSW and SA lost their respective grand finals, and in Queensland the minor premier didnt even make it and 4th beat 2nd.

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

southmelb - 8 Sep 2024 6:52 PM
Interestingly the minor premier in Vic, NSW and SA lost their respective grand finals, and in Queensland the minor premier didnt even make it and 4th beat 2nd.

ACT at the moment heading the same way - Premiers Gungahlin lost their semi final yesterday to Croatia on Penalties (with reigning Champions O'Connor Knights knocked out by 4th placed Tigers 3-1)
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

southmelb - 8 Sep 2024 3:03 PM
The Victorian grand final yesterday had 3000-3500 max i reckon. Very dissapointing and no doubt the choice of venue and day played a part. 6,000+ when the 2 teams met in the grand final at Lakeside in 2016 and almost 5,000 in the driving rain 2 years ago.

But fv headquarters could care less because they get the venue for free.

At least the pitch was in great nick.... pretty much all I can say about the overall experience... Weather threatened to rain at one stage and we all looked at each other wondering where the hell to go if it did..... 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

LFC. - 8 Sep 2024 5:07 PM
CONGRATS Marconi !
Nice win what a 2nd of half season.

Very nicely done Marconi ..... solid final, congrats.
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)

NicCarBel - 8 Sep 2024 9:24 PM
southmelb - 8 Sep 2024 6:52 PM

ACT at the moment heading the same way - Premiers Gungahlin lost their semi final yesterday to Croatia on Penalties (with reigning Champions O'Connor Knights knocked out by 4th placed Tigers 3-1)

Just goes to show what an absolute joke the play off system is. 
First past the post are champions in my book.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

libelous - 9 Sep 2024 10:08 AM

the forever ongoing argument here due to the other codes and the aussie dna set way way back.
I agree it sucks.
I grew up playing pre play offs first passed the post wiiners are grinners.
As much as I have enjoyed playing play offs, it is a buzz for you get the chance its not fair to the Minor Prem for they are forgotten due to this GF scenario.

Love Football

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

LFC. - 9 Sep 2024 11:20 AM

the forever ongoing argument here due to the other codes and the aussie dna set way way back.
I agree it sucks.
I grew up playing pre play offs first passed the post wiiners are grinners.
As much as I have enjoyed playing play offs, it is a buzz for you get the chance its not fair to the Minor Prem for they are forgotten due to this GF scenario.

My first trophy was for league champions/minor premiership, bla bla.

I actually do like the football in Australia concept of Premiers are the league winners and Champions are the Grand Final winners that seem to have cropped up from what I gather is the inception of the A-League (although happy to be corrected if it's earlier!)

I also do like that in terms of promotions, our NPL's and state set ups (again, from what I gather) use the league only as the criteria. I do know there are pro/rel playouts in NSW to determine the second side promoted from League 2 as one example. In lower league divisions where more than one team is promoted, I'd personally like to see the "finals" play a part in this. Most leagues adopt a "Top 4" approach, so I'd modify it to this (and will use ACT NPL + CPL as an example - even though we only have a one up-one down system at the moment):

Instead of CPL finals, it would be:
* 7th placed from NPL
* 2nd placed from CPL
* 3rd placed from CPL
* 4th placed from CPL

Then, the winner of the "Grand Final" would stay up in / be promoted to the NPL.
1st place from CPL and 8th place from NPL would then be promoted/relegated as normal.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Has every state adopted something similar to the A league finals system? In Victoria most seasons its the team that finishes 3rd or 4th that wins it as they tend to be the sides that win in the 1st round and advance with momentum whilst the top 2 teams sit around twiddling their thumbs. At least in the old top 5 system you'd have double chances for the top teams and the pathway to the title was more difficult from outside it. You also have neutral venue grand finals so being the highest seed means bugger all.
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)

Winning a ‘grand final ‘ from 2nd, 3rd or 4th place in the league definitely doesn’t mean you are season’s champions.
libelous
libelous
Rising Star

libelous - 9 Sep 2024 2:52 PM
Winning a ‘grand final ‘ from 2nd, 3rd or 4th place in the league definitely doesn’t mean you are season’s champions.

Or indeed from 6th place in the A league 🥴
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBX1CVN7jY - Rockdale V Marconi highlights.

We went along, entertaining however in terms of football pretty low quality truth be told.    Marconi took their chances and came away with it.   Kudos to them.   I still remember when they got relegated to NPL2 a few years back so they've come back well.   Tsekenis and Flea have done well at that club..

Edited
Last Week by ErogenousZone
libelous
libelous
Rising Star

ErogenousZone - 9 Sep 2024 8:56 PM

We went along, entertaining however in terms of football pretty low quality truth be told.    Marconi took their chances and came away with it.   Kudos to them.   I still remember when they got relegated to NPL2 a few years back so they've come back well.   Tsekenis and Flea have done well at that club..

So they didn’t just fade away after being relegated as some seem to think would happen if pro/rel were introduced into the A league.🤔🤫
Totti10
Totti10
Super Fan
Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)

Agree wasn’t the best quality but most of the time finals are cagey affairs and this wasn’t any different. Marconi are very physical and don’t mind a long ball but end of the day got the job done and that’s all that matters.
Apparently south play the same way in Victoria physically strong and defensively solid 
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)

Good content from the NPLVIC final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6nKbEEMu8w&ab_channel=Suited%26BootedTV

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SoccerLogic - 10 Sep 2024 12:20 AM

These guys are seriously getting pretty good at what they put out.... 
Beretta
Beretta
Hacker

ErogenousZone - 9 Sep 2024 8:56 PM

its because the club marconi started to pump money back into the football. 
Tsekenis and flea have been at the club since 2019, picked up a Waratah Cup in 2019 and now the championship 2024.
i'd say it was about time they got their rewards.
Royce O`Veson
Royce O`Veson
Under 7s
Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)

NicCarBel - 9 Sep 2024 11:56 AM

LFC. - 9 Sep 2024 11:20 AM

My first trophy was for league champions/minor premiership, bla bla.

I actually do like the football in Australia concept of Premiers are the league winners and Champions are the Grand Final winners that seem to have cropped up from what I gather is the inception of the A-League (although happy to be corrected if it's earlier!)

I also do like that in terms of promotions, our NPL's and state set ups (again, from what I gather) use the league only as the criteria. I do know there are pro/rel playouts in NSW to determine the second side promoted from League 2 as one example. In lower league divisions where more than one team is promoted, I'd personally like to see the "finals" play a part in this. Most leagues adopt a "Top 4" approach, so I'd modify it to this (and will use ACT NPL + CPL as an example - even though we only have a one up-one down system at the moment):

Instead of CPL finals, it would be:
* 7th placed from NPL
* 2nd placed from CPL
* 3rd placed from CPL
* 4th placed from CPL

Then, the winner of the "Grand Final" would stay up in / be promoted to the NPL.
1st place from CPL and 8th place from NPL would then be promoted/relegated as normal.

That is the format that Northern NSW implemented this year.  12th in NPL (Lake Macquarie) automatically relegated, with 1st in the NL1 second division (Belmont Swansea) promoted.

Then 11th in NPL (Adamstown) went into a playoff with 2nd, 3rd & 4th in NL1 (Kahibah, Toronto Awaba & West Wallsend).  H&A semi finals with Toronto Awaba and Adamstown getting through on aggregate, though the Adamstown/Westy game went to extra time.

Final was a great game with Adamstown getting up 3-2 with goals at 90+3 and 90+5.  The game generated a lot of interest after a long while without real pro/rel.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

welcome Royce and thanks for the NNSW update.....
Sounds like the format went well and man the final what a great late win by Adamstown.

Love Football

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro

shortd@gmail.com - 12 Sep 2024 11:10 AM
NicCarBel - 9 Sep 2024 11:56 AM

That is the format that Northern NSW implemented this year.  12th in NPL (Lake Macquarie) automatically relegated, with 1st in the NL1 second division (Belmont Swansea) promoted.

Then 11th in NPL (Adamstown) went into a playoff with 2nd, 3rd & 4th in NL1 (Kahibah, Toronto Awaba & West Wallsend).  H&A semi finals with Toronto Awaba and Adamstown getting through on aggregate, though the Adamstown/Westy game went to extra time.

Final was a great game with Adamstown getting up 3-2 with goals at 90+3 and 90+5.  The game generated a lot of interest after a long while without real pro/rel.

I am a visionary
Wrestling Giffer | Seth freakin rollins, Seth rollins, Seth

southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan
Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)

Apparently David Chick has left Hume for Gully (via Ivkovic's twitter). Why would Hume let go such a good coach? Who is the replacement? 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southoftheyarra - 18 Sep 2024 4:19 PM
Apparently David Chick has left Hume for Gully (via Ivkovic's twitter). Why would Hume let go such a good coach? Who is the replacement? 

Interesting news... Chick did a good job with Hume this year??? maybe the president just couldnt cope with the fact they lost 5 times in a row to Hellas? :P
Glenardo
Glenardo
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)

Very late post, have had a lot on of late and posting on an online soccer forum has taken a back seat, but obviously very happy with the Marconi championship. Have said it many a times but Temelkovski is a great striker, lots of potential, great technique and movement. Sad he’s leaving to west Sydney, but that’s football, wish him well, it’s deserved. 

Theoretically I’m not a fan of this method of deciding the champions, obviously first past of the post is fairest, and rockdale finished top fair and square despite Marconi beating them 9-0 during the regular season. But in practice in Australia, with no promotion spots or continental football to play for, the league is often over by mid season for most teams in a first past the post format. So the finals is good in that regard. Plus the gfs are occasions which the sport desperately needs in this country 

Also as a side note, despite the trophy, still not personally a fan of tsekenis managerial style.

I guess now we wait and see what the league structure looks like next season 

southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan
Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)

Glenardo - 24 Sep 2024 5:24 PM
Very late post, have had a lot on of late and posting on an online soccer forum has taken a back seat, but obviously very happy with the Marconi championship. Have said it many a times but Temelkovski is a great striker, lots of potential, great technique and movement. Sad he’s leaving to west Sydney, but that’s football, wish him well, it’s deserved. 

Theoretically I’m not a fan of this method of deciding the champions, obviously first past of the post is fairest, and rockdale finished top fair and square despite Marconi beating them 9-0 during the regular season. But in practice in Australia, with no promotion spots or continental football to play for, the league is often over by mid season for most teams in a first past the post format. So the finals is good in that regard. Plus the gfs are occasions which the sport desperately needs in this country 

Also as a side note, despite the trophy, still not personally a fan of tsekenis managerial style.

9-0??? What was the story there?
Glenardo
Glenardo
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)Hardcore Fan (183 reputation)

southoftheyarra - 24 Sep 2024 5:49 PM

9-0??? What was the story there?

Was just a random freak result. Was a mid week catch up match at the Marconi club. A few times this past season Marconi really steam rolled teams in the first half when they got on a roll, this was the most extreme example of that. up 6-0 at half time. Everything went right for Marconi, everything went wrong for Rockdale. Marconi had another showing like that in the semi final v Blacktown. But then also dropped games they should have won which is what handed Rockdale the top spot..consistency 
Edited
3 days ago @ 6:25 PM by Glenardo
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Take the win brother.... it was a season of two halves for Marconi.... Came home with a wet sail and worthy champions... Bring on 2025... 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search