BDP

Author
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I’m preparing myself for a loss this Sunday. I think the workload on our players has been too much too soon. We hopefully get a win but I’m obviously not confident. 

On a positive note. The players now know what levels of fitness are needed. And I think they can replicate that for a little longer next year. And with our juniors being training at that level too I expect some exciting young players to have standout seasons. 

Next year top four is attainable. Roosters and Panthers should fall back to the pack. Sharks and Melbourne should both slightly improve. Cows and Manly are aging and possibly implode. Canberra and Saints will be a threat. And Brisbane rarely stay down. Titans might stay injury free and push in the eight. 

Lots of competition. But I think on paper we should look decent compared to a few teams with this years experience. I’m backing Harry, Xeri, Todd, and Hughes to have big years. With Burton and Preston being our two best. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Micko - 11 Sep 2024 10:21 AM
I’m preparing myself for a loss this Sunday. I think the workload on our players has been too much too soon. We hopefully get a win but I’m obviously not confident. 

On a positive note. The players now know what levels of fitness are needed. And I think they can replicate that for a little longer next year. And with our juniors being training at that level too I expect some exciting young players to have standout seasons. 

Next year top four is attainable. Roosters and Panthers should fall back to the pack. Sharks and Melbourne should both slightly improve. Cows and Manly are aging and possibly implode. Canberra and Saints will be a threat. And Brisbane rarely stay down. Titans might stay injury free and push in the eight. 

Lots of competition. But I think on paper we should look decent compared to a few teams with this years experience. I’m backing Harry, Xeri, Todd, and Hughes to have big years. With Burton and Preston being our two best. 

Max King was on some Fox? Podcast- worth a listen. 

He said that the second season under Cirro was much easier than the first, (IMO) players will get used to the standards required and those that can't make the standard will seek an opportunity elsewhere.

He was also overjoyed and slightly surprised that we beat the Sharks and the Warriors in NZ. Players found themselves in the unfamiliar territory of winning games that we regularly lost in previous seasons. 

Next season the biggest differences will be starting the season with a settled spine, a bigger pack of forwards, more squad depth,  semi final experience and more belief that we can win most games.

As for the weekend game, I am still hoping for a win, that is only possible if we have 17 players who can bring the energy. A players fuel tank and injury status is IMO more important than talent, experience and combinations for this game. I am prepared to win ugly in a grinding war of attrition, set-for-set slowly grinding  Manly down and probably winning a low scoring game by a narrow margin.  If that happens it is classic semi final footy. If  Manly score more than 20, they probably win.
Edited
8 days ago @ 11:30 AM by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Around 20 years ago I watched my nephew play soccer.

For some reason his 10 year old team had 2 young high class rep level players with a great attitude coaching them.

Might not have turned many of those kids into champions, but any talent that was around was in the best possible system.

Just doing that for one team in one age group for one year isn't enough. 

I recently watched a bit of the Australian soccer team playing,  we have gone backwards over the last 10-20 years, especially relative to other countries. 

I will not improve until they implement the right coaching at junior level especially in the critical 14-18 age groups. 

One look at NRL especially young dogs players on debut tells you that we are getting a lot right.
Edited
8 days ago @ 11:42 AM by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

hounddog - 11 Sep 2024 11:41 AM
Around 20 years ago I watched my nephew play soccer.

For some reason his 10 year old team had 2 young high class rep level players with a great attitude coaching them.

Might not have turned many of those kids into champions, but any talent that was around was in the best possible system.

Just doing that for one team in one age group for one year isn't enough. 

I recently watched a bit of the Australian soccer team playing,  we have gone backwards over the last 10-20 years, especially relative to other countries. 

I will not improve until they implement the right coaching at junior level especially in the critical 14-18 age groups. 

One look at NRL especially young dogs players on debut tells you that we are getting a lot right.

We look to have turned the corner and finals footy should be a certainty for years to come. Our juniors look like seasoned first graders. 

Our goal next year should be top four. With some luck we could just crack it. But most importantly we need to remain in the finals 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 11 Sep 2024 2:15 PM
hounddog - 11 Sep 2024 11:41 AM

We look to have turned the corner and finals footy should be a certainty for years to come. Our juniors look like seasoned first graders. 

Our goal next year should be top four. With some luck we could just crack it. But most importantly we need to remain in the finals 

Just  making the 8 in the NRL is tough, but we should be aiming top 4.

All teams are going to improve, to finish top 4 we need to improve more than the current top 4.

We only won 2 out of the first 6 games that is one area where we can improve. 

Injuries to middles was an issue this season and we lost a couple of close games.

Cows look to me like they could improve enough to be top 4.

Chooks/Panthers are losing some key players and might slide down a few notches.  

Newcastle entirely dependent on KP, I don't see that as a formula for sustained success. 

Most of the better players at Manly will be a year older.

Canberra could improve enough to make the 8, and there will be one other surprise improver. Sides that missed the 8 in the previous season usually don't finish top 4.

Banking the early wins should set us up for top 4.
Edited
8 days ago @ 3:12 PM by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

If we can sign RCG and/or Nas we are a much better chance next year. I would love for both of them to be playing in our jersey next year. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 12 Sep 2024 12:58 PM
If we can sign RCG and/or Nas we are a much better chance next year. I would love for both of them to be playing in our jersey next year. 

No info.

But Gus did have a chat with Stephano and Horsbough...

Gus said that they are letting the players concentrate on the season, so we will find out after we win the GF:)

I'm increasingly optimistic about our prospects on Sunday... delusional optimism is part of being a fan.

RCG is my preference, Storm are very good at offloading players at the right time. 
Edited
7 days ago @ 1:05 PM by hounddog
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Actually if Leo Thompson  appeared on the market, I'd go all out for his signature.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

ODF - 12 Sep 2024 2:40 PM
Actually if Leo Thompson  appeared on the market, I'd go all out for his signature.

I was keen on Leo, but now the Knights are trying to let other players go to upgrade his contract.

Many clubs stockpiled middle forwards., some have too many.

If RCG,  Thompson and Horsbough sign elsewhere that is most of the good options gone. Some of the others might not be much better than what we have.

Gus will come up with something... the signings of Curran and Mann this season were master-strokes.

Not long ago it looked like Thompson might be unwanted by the Knights.  I think that some clubs have a recruitment and retention dart board. 
Edited
7 days ago @ 2:58 PM by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

ODF - 12 Sep 2024 2:40 PM

As would I. Would fit our system perfectly. Reminds me of Adin Fonua Blake. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Any immigrants eating pets where you live?
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 12 Sep 2024 6:16 PM

Yep... 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

I just saw a little old man and a little old lady walking a little old dog very slowly...

I realised that the little old man was blind....

I thought to myself...,,,

That guy would make a good NRL ref, and the dog could get a gig in the bunker...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 13 Sep 2024 5:14 PM
I just saw a little old man and a little old lady walking a little old dog very slowly...

That guy would make a good NRL ref, and the dog could get a gig in the bunker...

I reckon we'd get some favourable calls from the barker...
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

One of the most bizarre things I have heard in American politics. I thought nothing would surprise me. Then this. Trump is such a shit speaker. How did he ever get the presidency. It’s embarrassing 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Micko - 13 Sep 2024 7:34 PM

One of the most bizarre things I have heard in American politics. I thought nothing would surprise me. Then this. Trump is such a shit speaker. How did he ever get the presidency. It’s embarrassing 

Clearly U don't pay much attention to American politics if this rates highly on the bizarre scale...

He may be a shit talker.. but he ain't a shit speaker...

How did he win back then???.. cos people there, and all around the world were and still are sick to fekking death of the self serving, never ever had a real job crony political class... Sick to death of the establishment and these pricks who think they are elected as rulers instead of servants... Especially the likes of Killary... He seemed like he wasn't one of them... Any more...

The really bizarre thing is people think Pollies actually care about them and their families... The vast majority don't...

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 13 Sep 2024 5:14 PM

Good thing those old people and dog aren't walking around the streets of a sanctuary city in the US ..

#forMicko...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Penrith very good... Very good... But the commentator wankfest is unbearable...

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

dman2018 - 13 Sep 2024 8:44 PM

Clearly U don't pay much attention to American politics if this rates highly on the bizarre scale...

How did he win back then???.. cos people there, and all around the world were and still are sick to fekking death of the self serving, never ever had a real job crony political class... Sick to death of the establishment and these pricks who think they are elected as rulers instead of servants... Especially the likes of Killary... He seemed like he wasn't one of them... Any more...

The really bizarre thing is people think Pollies actually care about them and their families... The vast majority don't...

And if youre voting on personality instead of policy... U get what you deserve...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Why is everything Penrith do tonight 'one of the greatest finals plays ever' according to the commentators???... I want is to win the comp... But if we don't I want anyone but Penrith to win...

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 13 Sep 2024 8:52 PM
Penrith very good... Very good... But the commentator wankfest is unbearable...

Were  not quite as good in the second half. 

If we beat Manly we play the Roosters,  once they stopped making dumb errors the Roosters were pretty good. 

The last few weeks has been the same for us, dropped balls,  kicking the ball dead , missed tackles, etc. You can't miss a tackle when you have the ball.

Most of all I want the Dogs to play semi-final footy with low errors, fast linespeed and a good kicking game. 
Edited
6 days ago @ 10:28 PM by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

If we don't win the comp I want the Cows to win. IMO they have the team that can win it,

The Cows were too good for us last game and were very well coached.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

hounddog - 13 Sep 2024 9:59 PM
If we don't win the comp I want the Cows to win. IMO they have the team that can win it,

The Cows were too good for us last game and were very well coached.

Yeah i also somewhat have a soft spot for them but Storm too. 

Hawks lost tonight playing poorly. What was a great second half to the season has come to an earth shattering end.

Really need the Dogs to win this Sunday as it will be a really shitty weekend if both my teams bow out.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Marki - 13 Sep 2024 11:03 PM

Hawks lost tonight playing poorly. What was a great second half to the season has come to an earth shattering end.

The OnlyThings i understand more than this is Biden/Harris policy...err.... whomever is running their country/harris policy...
Make AFL Go Away On The BDP...
#MAGAOTB....
#joy...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Yeah i also somewhat have a soft spot for them but Storm too. 

Really need the Dogs to win this Sunday as it will be a really shitty weekend if both my teams bow out.

Im ok with Melb.. best team all year... and am a fan of Hughes... no soft spots though... i hate 16 teams... its a matter of degrees...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

dman2018 - 14 Sep 2024 4:01 AM

The OnlyThings i understand more than this is Biden/Harris policy...err.... whomever is running their country/harris policy...
Make AFL Go Away On The BDP...
#MAGAOTB....
#joy...

Bloody conspiracy theorists with their insane idea an obviously demented man is not in charge... idiots...
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 14 Sep 2024 4:07 AM
dman2018 - 14 Sep 2024 4:01 AM

Bloody conspiracy theorists with their insane idea an obviously demented man is not in charge... idiots...

You can tell that Trump and Biden invented AFL. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

1 point for missing, that reminds me of some of the sports awards I got.

Especially Nippers where I was only good at Flags.... anyone drowning on the sand .... I could save them .... in the water? Not my department. 

And in any case 6 points for a field goal is way too much, try scoring some trys and get the layout of the field right....

American football... well they probably watched Cam Smith passing from dummy-half and thought that is how it is done.
Edited
5 days ago @ 12:23 PM by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

dman2018 - 13 Sep 2024 8:44 PM

I know more about politics than most. 

Trump is a terrible orator. But what’s worse is his inability to follow his speech guidelines. Speech writers don’t simply write out your speeches. You are instructed what to say in every instance. You are also given cues in what to say and when. Trump can’t follow suit and just rambles on intangibles. It’s as close to deranged as possible. 

Trump beat Clinton because she was a woman and most were over the Democratic Party because they had enough time in office. People get sick of the same party because they are stupid. They like the shiny new toy because they are stupid. And they liked Trump because he was exactly that. He promised heaps and prayed on people’s fears. Very similar to what Hittler did. The difference was that Hittler was one of the greatest orators in history. 

Now politicians caring. If you don’t know many I would suggest not commenting. Because I haven’t met one that didn’t go into it for the right reasons. Almost all think they can improve the country. Almost all think they can help people improve their lives. If they wanted money they wouldn’t get into politics as all make a lot more outside of it. 

Conspiracy theories are for the ignorant. 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Every home team won. Let’s hope we continue the trend. Then it changes from her to the GF. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search