Newcastle Jerks Supporters - 24/02/08

Newcastle Jerks Supporters - 24/02/08

Author
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Post all related Newcastle Jets info, gossip and Gypo/Hutcho hating in this thread (oooh I sound like a moderator =p~ )

Note to Joffa: Please post articles and the like to keep the thread alive mate

Honours:
A-League Championship:
Champions: 2007-08
Semi-Finalists: 2005–06
Preliminary Finalists: 2006–07
Fair Play Award: 2007-08

Individual Awards:
Coach of the Year: 2007-08 (Gary van Egmond)
Johnny Warren Medal: 2006-07 (Nick Carle), 2007-08 (Joel Griffiths)
Reebok Golden Boot: 2007-08 (Joel Griffiths)
Joe Marston Medal: 2007-08 (Andrew Durante)

Captains:
Ned Zelic - 2005 to 2006
Paul Okon - 2006 to 2007
Jade North - 2007 to 2008
Griffo - 2008 to 2009
Thommo - 2009 to 2010
Michael Bridges - 2010 to 2011
Jobe Wheelhouse - 2011 to present

Edited by martyB: 21/10/2011 02:54:59 AM

Edited by pv4: 20/2/2015 02:21:09 PM

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Edited
7 Years Ago by marconi101
Blackmac79
Blackmac79
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Lets go out on a limb and prematurely put down that we are also the 2010-11 champions?

I posted this earlier. Its good news for the football in the Hunter regions and all other important regions north of Sydney.

Quote:

Northern, Jets finally join forces
BY JOSH LEESON
28 Jul, 2010 04:00 AM

SOME might say it is long overdue, but the consensus was better late than never yesterday when Northern NSW Football and the Newcastle Jets announced a formal partnership.

Known as the "Northern Alliance" the two organisations plan to work together to promote football in the Hunter region.

In the six years since the Jets joined the A-League there has been minor co-operation with NNSWF, but the Northern Alliance will take it to another level.

"I've said to [Jets CEO] John [Tsatsimas], 'Look at Northern as your arm to the community, let's not double up, let's take advantage of what we're both doing', " NNSWF CEO David Eland said.

"We want kids right across Northern NSW to know that their pathway to the Socceroos is through the Jets."

Jobe Wheelhouse, Ben Kennedy, Taylor Regan and Ben Kantarovski are the only home-grown juniors in the Jets 22-man first grade squad.

Tsatsimas said he hoped by working more closely with NNSWF the number of Novocastrians playing with the Jets would rise in the future.

"Our target is to promote as many players as possible," Tsatsimas said.

"We are a Newcastle team and a team that represents the people of Newcastle and we want to do that at the elite level."

As part of the Northern Alliance the Jets have given more than 70 local clubs family season memberships to raffle off.

So far it has raised about $175,000 for local clubs.

There will also be greater participation from Jets players in junior NNSWF programs such as school five-a-side gala days.

More local players will have opportunities to trial for the Jets youth side, and parents will receive a discount on Jets family season membership if they have a child under 12 registered with a local club.

Edited by Blackmac79: 28/7/2010 09:35:26 PM
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

First off, thanks Marconi for starting another one.

Anyway, I've seen this new chant against the heart floating around. I think it's alright but anyway what do you guys think. It helps if your familiar with You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi cos its based off the intro I'm pretty sure. Alright so here it is.

We hate the heart,
Their name's so lame,
They give the league a bad name,

And then you chant the guitar solo and then it goes back to the same thing but different words.

We hate the heart,
And their to blame,
They stole Matt Thompson,

Then the guitar solo chant.

We love the heart,
And their to thank,
Cos they stole Hoffman,

Anyway I think it's alright I thought the Hoffman part at the end was pretty funny. I dunno who wrote it I've seen it in various places.
Anchor Man (defend)
Anchor Man (defend)
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

Pre-season friendly result: NUJFC 4 - Rockdale 0

some comments here: http://twitter.com/newyboys

And shit guys, I'm reaaally starting to look forward to this season.

Edited by Anchor Man (Defend): 28/7/2010 10:31:49 PM
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Wow 4-0. I can't look at the Twitter page cos im on my school laptop and its blocked. So can you guys tell me like the scorers etc. Cheers.
Blackmac79
Blackmac79
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Well done Jets.

Jesic to take the free kicks? thats two now?
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro

Nvm found this on the jets site 1 - 0 - Ali Abbas 12'

2 - 0 - Sean Rooney 24'

3 - 0 - Nikolai Topor-Stanley 32'

4 - 0 Marko Jesic 59'

Match report to follow

Lol at Topor.
Anchor Man (defend)
Anchor Man (defend)
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

Blackmac79 wrote:
Well done Jets.

Jesic to take the free kicks? thats two now?

First one was a fairly lucky deflection, but why not? Honestly he couldn't be any worse than Song was...
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro

Yea Song was a bit weird. He scored two great free kicks against Australia and then he came here and wasn't hitting them very well until the end of last season, he forced a couple of great saves from the keepers. And I was standing behind the goals in Jesic's first free kick and I didn't even notice the deflection. I don't think it changed the direction of the ball very much.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Incredibly Toppa scored with his feet, sorta shows you how poor he is at heading towards goal :lol:

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Gunners_Shot_Stopper
Gunners_Shot_Stopper
Hacker
Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)Hacker (392 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
solid result boys

we got a starting team
Anchor Man (defend)
Anchor Man (defend)
Hacker

Jets_Fan wrote:
Yea Song was a bit weird. He scored two great free kicks against Australia and then he came here and wasn't hitting them very well until the end of last season, he forced a couple of great saves from the keepers. And I was standing behind the goals in Jesic's first free kick and I didn't even notice the deflection. I don't think it changed the direction of the ball very much.

FWIW I was at the side level with the 18 yard line at that end, was a notable deflection because it slowed down a lot, goalkeeper badly wrongfooted. Sounds like his stike tonight was waymore impressive.
rocknerd
rocknerd
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Starting line up is looking like

---------BK

Takka-Ljubo-Toppa-Puz

---Wherman---Kanta

Abbas-bridge-Jesic

------Haliti

Subs Keepers
Hendo/Young

Backs
Regean/ Zadkovic/ Mooy

DM
Zadkovic/ Wheelhouse

Mids
fiorentini/ Kaz

Forwars
Sash/ Rooney/ Brokie
Blackmac79
Blackmac79
Pro

That's probably what we will see against Adelaide i should think? In terms of a starting line up.

8 days :D
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro

Quote:
Nikolai ends long wait for Jets goal
BY JAMES GARDINER
29 Jul, 2010 12:00 AM
DEFENDER Nikolai Topor-Stanley broke his goal-scoring duck as the Newcastle Jets finalised their A-League preparations with an emphatic 4-0 win over Rockdale City at a rain-soaked Sutherland Park last night.
The match, played on a synthetic pitch in constant rain, against the NSW Premier League outfit was the Jets' fifth of the pre-season and followed wins over Melbourne Heart (2-1), Northern NSW (3-1) and Sydney United (2-1) and a 1-0 loss to Brisbane Roar in Port Macquarie on Sunday.

Topor-Stanley is yet to score in 79 A-League appearances for Sydney, Perth and Newcastle and until last night had not hit the target in a competitive match for the Jets.

He was one of three first-half goalscorers alongside Ali Abbas and Sean Rooney.

Comeback kid Marko Jesic completed the rout with a goal from a free kick.

The Jets open their A-League account against Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium in eight days and came through last night injury free.

Kiwi international Jeremy Brockie (calf) and Adam D'Apuzzo (back) sat out the trial but should be right for the trip to South Australia.

Midfielder Ben Kantarovski returns from Vietnam, where he starred for the Young Socceroos, on Sunday, leaving yet-to-arrive Chinese striker Zhang Shuo as the only player unavailable for round one.

Wet weather forced the cancellation of an intra-club trial last week, and hit-outs against Central Coast Mariners and Marconi were also canned.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/nikolai-ends-long-wait-for-jets-goal/1898459.aspx
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro

Assuming Brockie and Dapuzzo stay injured then we'll probably see this against Adelaide.
--------------Haliti--------------
Abbas---------Bridges--------Jesic
-------Kanta----------Wehrman-----
Zadko-----Topor-----Ljubo----Elrich
--------------Kennedy-------------

Subs:
Hendo
Marcello
Rooney
Petrovski

Edited by Jets_Fan: 29/7/2010 10:47:57 AM
stickfigure
stickfigure
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)

Anchor Man (defend) wrote:
Jets_Fan wrote:

FWIW I was at the side level with the 18 yard line at that end, was a notable deflection because it slowed down a lot, goalkeeper badly wrongfooted. Sounds like his stike tonight was waymore impressive.

jaga messaged me from the game, said the kick was beckham-style, curling into the top corner... awesome.

i also didn't notice the deflection in the nnsw game.
either way that's two more goals than song ever scored from free kicks :)
stickfigure
stickfigure
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)Hardcore Fan (225 reputation)

i'd like to see rooney start at the point.
he and bridges were linking up well towards the end of the regular season last year.

I like haliti, but feel that after bursting into the league, kind of dropped off as the season went on.
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro

Rooney looked very poor when he came back from injury. But before his injury was always dangerous but his finishing was poor. He'd be better off the bench as his speed could make an impact late in the game. I'd bring him on for Haliti in about the 60th minute.

Edited by Jets_Fan: 29/7/2010 11:12:01 AM
rocknerd
rocknerd
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Jets_Fan wrote:
Rooney looked very poor when he came back from injury. But before his injury was always dangerous but his finishing was poor. He'd be better off the bench as his speed could make an impact late in the game. I'd bring him on for Haliti in about the 60th minute.

Edited by Jets_Fan: 29/7/2010 11:12:01 AM

+1

I think Haliti has it over Rooney ATM. After watching his interplay and footwork against United I think he is going to be brilliant this year.

Can't wait for Adelaide. I'm going to have to purchase some cold beverages to store in my Refrigerator prior to kick off.

8 Days is to long!
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro

Yea my mate pointed out to me earlier at school (i love school laptops during science) that the first game is next week. Im so pumped now. Can't wait till Heart in 2 weeks.
tomw
tomw
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Jets_Fan wrote:

Anyway, I've seen this new chant against the heart floating around. I think it's alright but anyway what do you guys think. It helps if your familiar with You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi cos its based off the intro I'm pretty sure. Alright so here it is.

We hate the heart,
Their name's so lame,

And then you chant the guitar solo and then it goes back to the same thing but different words.

We hate the heart,
And their to blame,

We love the heart,
And their to thank,
Cos they stole Hoffman,

Anyway I think it's alright I thought the Hoffman part at the end was pretty funny. I dunno who wrote it I've seen it in various places.

Need an extra syllable on the last line of the second two verses or it will just sound wrong.
rocknerd
rocknerd
World Class

tomw wrote:
Jets_Fan wrote:

We hate the heart,
Their name's so lame,

We hate the heart,
And their to blame,

We love the heart,
And their to thank,
Cos they stole Hoffman,

Need an extra syllable on the last line of the second two verses or it will just sound wrong.

Because you guys stole Thompson/Hoffman

Better?
Hid
Hid
Amateur
Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)Amateur (608 reputation)

So how many people are making the trip down to Adelaide for the game??

Trying to decide whether to buy in away supporters bay or just go in general admission with better seats
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro

Well you could extend the Matt over 2 syllables. As in you change the pitch halfway.
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro

Forgot to post this article old news but is a detailed match report.
A spirited Rockdale City Suns took on the Newcastle Jets on a wet synthetic pitch at Seymour Shore tonight. Despite an energetic start, the Newcastle Jets quickly took control and began to dominate possession. An early scare in the 4th minute saw some strong defence by Ruben Zadkovich to deny Rockdale an early scoring opportunity. The Newcastle Jets then settled down and began to string together a confident passing game which translated to some positive field possession.

In the tenth minute, the Newcastle Jets fired their first shot in anger after a nice build up resulted in a Michael Bridges shot which went narrowly wide. The early warning shot was a sign of things to come and it wasn’t long before the deadlock was broken. Another positive build up by the Jets saw Marko Jesic’s shot saved by the keeper but a pouncing Ali Abbas took advantage of a fallen keeper and he safely tucked the ball away in the 12th minute.

As the rain continued to fall, the Newcastle Jets continued to dominate with a number of half chances with another Michael bridges effort again narrowly going past the post. In the 25th minute, the small crowd were treated to a classy chip from the edge of the box by Sean Rooney which resulted in Newcastle’s second goal. This was followed by a third to the Jets via Nikolai Topper Stanley, who pushed up for a free kick which was taken by Kasey Wehrman and nodded down by Jobe Wheelhouse for Topper Stanley to finish.

In the late stages of the first half, the Newcastle defence was rarely troubled outside of a free kick which was safely handled by keeper Ben Kennedy. The Newcastle Jets almost scored a fourth goal on the stroke of half time after a confident Marco Jesic shot wide. The teams then went to the break with the Newcastle Jets leading 3 goals to nil.

The Newcastle Jets made two half time changes with Mario Simic and Tarek Elrich replacing Kasey Wehrman and Brodie Mooy. The half began much like the first with Rockdale having the first opportunity with a shot from the right hand side forcing Ben Kennedy to make a regulation save sprawling himself across his goal. This was the last action that Ben Kennedy would be involved in with Branko Culina taking the opportunity in the 51st minute to give Paul Henderson some game time between the posts.

The Newcastle Jets immediately regained control and again commenced to dominate the second half. The Newcastle Jets were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box in the 53rd minute and Marko Jesic stepped up to take responsibility. His strong curling free kick was parried around the post by the Rockdale keeper but Marko Jesic certainly made his intentions known that he was hungry to score a goal. In the 59th minute, the Newcastle Jets were awarded another free kick on the edge of the box and this time Jesic made no mistake driving a right footed cracker into the roof of the net.

With the game well and truly in control, the Newcastle Jets made additional substitutions in 58th, 60th and 61st minutes with Fiorentini, Patafta, Regan, Haliti and Petrovski all getting some valuable game time. Rockdale City continued to try hard but the supremacy of their A-League counterparts was obvious despite forcing a strong saves out of Newcastle Jets keeper, Paul Henderson, in the 78th and 80th minutes. Kaz Patafta almost got his name on the scorers list when his shot was saved by young Rockdale City keeper, James Cane.

The closing minutes of the match saw the Newcastle Jets ease off the pressure until the final whistle with the Newcastle Jets winning the match 4 goals to nil. After the match, Branko Culina stated “It was alright, we did enough, I am happy to see us playing with a bit more tempo but once we got two or three in front bit was a bit easy. He went on to state “we still have a lot of improvement left, the positive is that we trialled two different formations and everybody got some game time. That is important because there are still positions up for grabs and it is important that we played the two formations”.

Captain Michael Bridges stated “A good game to finish the preseason but we are expected to win these games. However, it was good to see that we did not concede a goal which was a result of a stronger defensive shape than last season.

The Newcastle Jets next match will be the opening round of the A-League in Adelaide on August 6th.

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=34393
Jets_Fan
Jets_Fan
Pro

Quote:
Culina happy with healthy competition

BY ROBERT DILLON
30 Jul, 2010 04:00 AM

JETS coach Branko Culina says Ben Kennedy deserves to start the A-League season as Newcastle's No.1 goalkeeper but can expect fierce competition from new signing Paul Henderson.
Henderson, 34, who spent five years playing in England with Leicester and Bradford before a 14-game stint with North Queensland Fury last season, has joined Newcastle on an injury waiver while Neil Young recovers from recent bowel surgery.

It is expected that Young will need several months before he is strong and fit enough to be considered for selection, which will give Henderson ample time to stake a claim.

Despite Kennedy's heroics in last year's play-off win against Gold Coast, Culina said the 22-year-old could not afford to put a foot wrong with Henderson waiting for an opportunity.

"He [Henderson] has put up a big challenge to Ben Kennedy, which is terrific to see," Culina said yesterday.

"I think we've got two quality goalkeepers, which is what we need, because at one stage last season when Neil Young got injured we were really relying on Ben to go all the way on his own . . .

"Ben has got the front position. There is no doubt about that.

"He's earned it. But I tell you what, Paul Henderson is not far behind at all."

Much maligned by Jets fans in the early stages of last season, Kennedy came of age in the final series, in particular in the penalty shoot-out against Gold Coast in Newcastle's opening play-off match.

Culina said the home-grown gloveman "held himself very well" in the big end-of-season games and would be a better player for the experience.

"If anything, he grew and matured enormously," he said.

Kennedy started Wednesday night's final pre-season trial against Rockdale City but was replaced after 51 minutes by Henderson.

The pair kept a clean sheet in Newcastle's 4-0 victory, which Culina said was satisfying considering the state of the pitch after torrential rain.

The coach said the Jets were as well prepared as they possibly could be for the season-opener against Adelaide at Hindmarsh Stadium next Friday night.

"Ideally, we would have liked a couple more games under our belt," Culina said.

"Those three games that were cancelled on us - against Blacktown, Marconi and Central Coast - spoiled our plans somewhat but there's not much we can do about it.

"That has restricted our preparations but there is a lot of positive vibe in the camp and we're looking forward to Adelaide."

Culina was hopeful New Zealand World Cup star Jeremy Brockie, who has been nursing a knee injury for two weeks, would be available for the Adelaide game.

Newcastle's only injury concern from Wednesday night's trial was Iraqi winger Ali Abbas, who had an ankle problem.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/culina-happy-with-healthy-competition/1899356.aspx?storypage=0

Edited by Jets_Fan: 30/7/2010 09:36:52 AM
rocknerd
rocknerd
World Class

Hid wrote:
So how many people are making the trip down to Adelaide for the game??

Trying to decide whether to buy in away supporters bay or just go in general admission with better seats

I only know on a few guys heading down. I would say 5 at a Max. I would have headed down if my tax had come through but still waiting.
Blackmac79
Blackmac79
Pro

Quote:

Culina says no rush for Zhang
BY JAMES GARDINER
31 Jul, 2010 04:00 AM
NEWCASTLE Jets coach Branko Culina has no plans to rush Chinese striker Zhang Shuo into the squad for the A-League season opener against Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium on Friday.

Zhang has completed his commitments with Indonesian club Persik Kediri and is considered a strong chance of arriving in Newcastle in time for the trip to South Australia.

‘‘I spoke to his management as recently as this afternoon and the reports were positive,’’ Jets chief executive John Tsatsimas said yesterday.

‘‘He is back in China, where he is awaiting a medical with the Australian doctors.

‘‘Once that is complete I would anticipate his visa will be rubber-stamped.’’

Zhang, a Chinese international, is considered the final piece in the Jets puzzle but Culina said the 26-year-old front man would have to wait his turn.

‘‘He won’t be considered,’’ Culina said.

‘‘We don’t know where he is with his fitness, he doesn’t understand our game plan and I have to be fair to the guys that are here.

‘‘We are not talking about Lionel Messi or Ronaldo.

‘‘Even if we were, people have to understand and our own players have to understand, if you miss a large chunk of training, you can’t expect to walk in. This is the Newcastle Jets 2010-11 not Newcastle Jets from God knows when.

‘‘We have worked very hard to create good spirit, good atmosphere and depth in the squad.

‘‘The players who have been here the past 10 or 11 weeks deserve the opportunity.

‘‘If they don’t take the opportunity, it is another matter.

‘‘We may have to draft Zhang or other players into the team a bit earlier.’’

Sean Rooney, Labinot Haliti and Sasho Petrovski have been in a three-way battle to spearhead the attack.

‘‘It is fair to say it is not a closed case,’’ Culina said

‘‘In the five games we have played thus far, Sean has played 195 minutes, Labi has played 195 as well and Sash is a little less with 190 minutes.

‘‘We are looking for a person who is going to be commanding enough to say, ‘Hold on you can’t ignore me, because I have done enough.’

‘‘Sash, Sean and Labi have all done that at some stage.

‘‘If you look at their strengths and what they bring they are all different.

‘‘It will depend on how we want to play.’’

Rooney scored with a deft chip in the 4-0 win over Sydney NSW Premier League side Rockdale City in the final pre-season hit-out on Wednesday night but his fitness remains a problem for Culina.

‘‘The concern we have for Sean is how much time he spends on the park,’’ Culina said yesterday.

‘‘Even today he had a bit of soreness in his groins.

‘‘At the moment, his body is not coping well enough with the demands of professional football.

‘‘It is a pity, because we think he has the potential to be an exceptional player.’’

Blackmac79
Blackmac79
Pro

Any predictions for fridays line up?
we have been playing a 4-2-3-1 right?

----------Kennedy-----------
Takka---Lubjo--Hyphen---Puzz
-----Whreman---Wheelhouse---
Jesic?----Bridges---Abbas---
----------Labi--------------

Edited by Blackmac79: 31/7/2010 09:50:11 AM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport