Australian Baseball League

Australian Baseball League

Author
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Opening game Sydney vs Canberra is officially sold out.
Oh, and the confirmed capacity of BOP is 1200 seated and 600 standing.
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Yeah wasn't sure if it was 1200 or 1600 seating. Hopefully it be upgraded so we can host group matches for the World Baseball Classic in 2013. Would be a coup for the game here to host that.

Just bought tickets. I assume you're going f1? Where abouts are your seats?
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Yep. We're in the covered section of the stand, behind home plate to the first base side. Not sure how the section numbering works. Look out for me, I'll be in a Blue Jays Joe Carter 1993 World Series throwback jersey!
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

Opening game last night and the atmosphere was pretty good. Game never reached any great heights, was a pitchers duel for most of it, Sydney won 1-0.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

f1worldchamp wrote:
Opening game last night and the atmosphere was pretty good. Game never reached any great heights, was a pitchers duel for most of it, Sydney won 1-0.

Wooooo.
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

f1worldchamp wrote:
Atmosphere wasn't quite what I expected TBH. I remember when the Claxton Shield tournament was played there a few years back, the crowd was ten times more rowdy than that when NSW played. Admittedly, I didn't really get into it at all; also a bit hard when the game was by and large uneventful.

Couldn't see ya though. Suppose you'd have had a jacket over your Blue Jays top. I was the douchebag in the University of Newcastle hoody sitting in the Team Sox seats behind homeplate.
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

good result, not a great score to kick of the season though
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

martyB wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:
Atmosphere wasn't quite what I expected TBH. I remember when the Claxton Shield tournament was played there a few years back, the crowd was ten times more rowdy than that when NSW played. Admittedly, I didn't really get into it at all; also a bit hard when the game was by and large uneventful.

Couldn't see ya though. Suppose you'd have had a jacket over your Blue Jays top. I was the douchebag in the University of Newcastle hoody sitting in the Team Sox seats behind homeplate.

LOL, you couldn't have been that far away, I was just behind homeplate, a little to the first base side.
Not sure if we'll get to all 3 games this weekend, but Friday night for sure.
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

well bluesox got belted last night
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

pimpsta wrote:

Finished 9-5, hardly a belting.

pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class

f1worldchamp wrote:
pimpsta wrote:

didnt the bandits score 8 points in one innings? thats a belting, it was 8-1 after 4
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

What did the Bite end up with? I am not all that interested in baseball (lack of understanding on my part) but do try and keep up with how Adelaide teams are doing.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class

General Ashnak wrote:
What did the Bite end up with? I am not all that interested in baseball (lack of understanding on my part) but do try and keep up with how Adelaide teams are doing.

you beat perth 7-3 after losing on wednesday night, the loss wednesday was your first and only loss so far
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

pimpsta wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:

you beat perth 7-3 after losing on wednesday night, the loss wednesday was your first and only loss so far

Bloody hell, not a bad effort - knew they had started strongly but hadn't realised they had only lost once.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.

f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

pimpsta wrote:
f1worldchamp wrote:
pimpsta wrote:

didnt the bandits score 8 points in one innings? thats a belting, it was 8-1 after 4

Meh, that's baseball. Things can tend to get away from you sometimes :lol:
Sydney scored 10 on Canberra in one inning last weekend. Then then instituted the mercy rule. If a team is ahead by 10 or more runs after the 7th inning, the game is called.

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Melbourne are playing fucking shocking 0-5.
martyB
martyB
Legend

Melbourne beat Canberra tonight 4-0. Much needed win. They've got some good players, they're just not firing at the moment.
martyB
martyB
Legend

Quote:
ABL announces inaugural All-Star Game in Perth
Australian National Team to face ABL's best imports in showcase tilt
12/04/2011 3:55 AM ET

SYDNEY, 3 December - Nearly a half billion baseball fans in over fifty countries are expected to watch Australia's brightest baseball talent from the ABL take on the League's top international players in the newly created 2011 ABL All-Star Game at Barbagallo Ballpark in Perth on Wednesday, 21 December at 4pm local time.

The inaugural ABL All-Star game could potentially include as many as 10 current and former Major League players and will feature Australia's National Baseball Team in a single nine inning game against the best import players from the US, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India and Italy.

[size=6]The 2011 ABL All-Star game will be televised live in Australia by Fox Sports and Asia through ESPN Star and replayed through the MLB Network in the United States. The estimated audience is expected to be one of the largest ever for a baseball game held in Australia.[/size]

The All-Star game will mark the first time in two years Australia's national team will showcase their skills before a home crowd in Perth and the only chance for Aussie baseball fans to see the national team in action on home soil this year.

Minnesota Twins/Perth Heat infielder Luke Hughes and Sydney pitcher Chris Oxspring, formerly with the Detroit Tigers, are expected among the names headlining the Australian team.

Four international professional baseball leagues will be represented at the event, including players from Major League Baseball, Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball League, the Korean Baseball Organisation and the Chinese Professional Baseball League.

'We are grateful for the support of the West Australian Government in helping bring this unique event to fruition and look forward to showcasing our outstanding players to baseball fans in Australia and around the world,' said Peter Wermuth, CEO of the Australian Baseball League.

'The event, secured exclusively for Western Australia, will showcase our extraordinary State to millions of viewers across the world via Fox Sports and the Major League Baseball (MLB) Network,' says WA Tourism Minister, Dr Kim games.

The international team is expected to feature Taiwanese defensive whiz Chin-Lung Hu, legendary Korean reliever, Dae-Sung Koo and former New York Yankee pitcher Jason Hirsh amongst many others.

Tickets are now on sale. Members receive exclusive access to reserved seating purchases until Tuesday, 6 December. Must sign in to gain access. General admission tickets are currently available to all fans wishing to purchases tickets for this great event.

For more information on the ABL All-Star game, please visit www.theabl.com.au.

For media enquiries, please contact Terry Whitaker at the Australian Baseball League on 0405 100 796 or twhitaker@theabl.com.au.

This story was not subject to the approval of the Australian Baseball League or its clubs.

http://web.theabl.com.au/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111204&content_id=26086100&vkey=news_l595&fext=.jsp&sid=l595

Quote:
ABL All-Star game to get serious
By Joe Barton
18:47 AEST Thu Dec 8 2011

Melbourne slugger Justin Huber insists ABL stars will be playing to win in this month's inaugural All-Star game in Perth.

In five seasons playing Major League Baseball in America, Huber watched as the cream of the crop were brought together every year to play in a mostly non-competitive environment.

Huber feels Team Australia are too competitive to take the field half-hearted and should start favourites against a star-studded Team World for the December 21 fixture.

"There's never a time I put the green and gold on and don't think I'm going to win," Huber told AAP on Thursday.

"That's not the way to go out there.

"I'll be the first to say I expect us to win ... but we'll see what happens on the day."

Huber, one of six players named in either squad on Thursday with Major League experience, will bring a veteran touch to the Australian team.

He will be joined by Minnesota and Perth infielder Luke Hughes, Sydney pitcher Chris Oxspring and Adelaide's Tom Brice as the biggest names on the 21-man roster.

Huber expects Australia to build on their strong results from October's baseball World Cup, where they finished fifth with Brice named in the competition's All-Star team.

And bragging rights will simply provide extra motivation.

"I definitely think there'll be some bragging rights from this game," Huber added.

"There's no time you ever put on the green and gold and take it easy.

"That's not in our DNA.

"You can expect to see some serious baseball.

"There's a potential in these sort of events to just go through the motions and play the games and try not to get hurt.

"But I think this is going to be different to that."

Huber is one of seven Melbourne Aces across both squads, with defending champions Perth (11 players) the best represented and Sydney, just four players, the least.

Despite Huber's confidence, the numbers are stacking up against the home side.

The imports boast the competition's leading pitcher (Mike McGuire) and slugger (Alex Burg), as well as Adelaide's Denny Almonte, who holds the record for most RBI in an ABL match.

Last season's MVP James McOwen was also named for Team World.

McGuire, who has a staggering ERA of .36 with a league-leading 35 strikeouts for Canberra, is the likely starting pitcher for Team World.

"It's definitely going to be a great and exciting day," McGuire said.

The match will be broadcast across Australia, Asia and America, giving the opportunity to showcase the progress of the local product to an enormous worldwide audience.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8386778

f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

Epic bump Marty.
Been hard to get interested in the league this year for some reason. Still bought season tix, but I've only been to a handful of games.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

How are the Blue Sox going?
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

Surprised RU isn't in this thread, he has been following the Bite pretty closely - I know they are doing well but the paper never publishes the ladder or what have you.

martyB
martyB
Legend

f1worldchamp wrote:
Epic bump Marty.
Been hard to get interested in the league this year for some reason. Still bought season tix, but I've only been to a handful of games.
Same. The league hasn't lived up to what little hype they generated 18 months ago. It seems to me the ABL/MLB isn't serious enough about imposing themselves in the sporting landscape. The only on-going costs for the league at the moment are the pittance player wages, and travel expenses (plus a few office staff for each club).

It's somewhat embarrassing to see the Blue Sox add extra seating to the ground yet there's never anyone in said seating. Kudos to those who turn up, but I think the ABL's PR machine needs to be rethought.

But from a purely baseball perspective the league has been priceless for the game in this country. Guys are getting quality training and game time, and kids are getting noticed by Asian and American clubs.

I think the league will establish itself in the long-run, but it will be a while.

buddha wrote:
How are the Blue Sox going?

TEAM
W   L   PCT   GB

Perth
13   3   .813   -

Canberra
9   8   .529   4.5

Adelaide
8   8   .500   5.0

Sydney
9   12   .429   6.5

Melbourne
8   12   .400   7.0

Brisbane
7   11   .389   7.0
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

Club W L
Perth Heat 13 3
Canberra Cavalry 9 8
Adelaide Bite 8 8
Sydney Blue Sox 9 12
Melbourne Aces 8 12
Brisbane Bandits 7 11

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I have a perth heat cap, before i moved houses i realised i lived 5minutes away from the Heats homeground. Is there gonna be any TV coverage this year or will the Asia series be on TV?
Benjo
Benjo
Legend

Glory Recruit wrote:
I have a perth heat cap, before i moved houses i realised i lived 5minutes away from the Heats homeground. Is there gonna be any TV coverage this year or will the Asia series be on TV?

Whereabouts did you live? Thornlie? i live in Cannning Vale.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Benjo wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:

It was Huntingdale but near where Thornlie,Canning vale and Huntingdale all met. I have lived in Canning vale though and went school there.
Benjo
Benjo
Legend

Glory Recruit wrote:
Benjo wrote:
Glory Recruit wrote:

It was Huntingdale but near where Thornlie,Canning vale and Huntingdale all met. I have lived in Canning vale though and went school there.

Ah yeah. Near Southern River area? Near the Vle, where Dome is? What school did you go ot? I went to Carey College.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

Oooh, another epic bump for the ABL.
Blue Sox have a great deal this year on season tickets with various packages available. I've bought 2 'Friday Night' packages, so season tickets for all Friday night games. Good deal for me, as last year I had full season tickets but Friday seemed to be the only day we were able to make it regularly. And I still get to support the club as a member and get post season priority.

martyB
martyB
Legend

TV deal doesn't look imminent in the foreseeable future - I think Fox Sports are still interested in broadcasting the Championship Series, but that's it. However, last I heard, MLB is considering MLBTV broadcasts for the northern winter. Which doesn't do the game a whole lot of good here but is still a positive step for the league.

Hoping to get down to a few more games this season.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

Thought I'd give this a bump as the season starts soon and Fox Sports will have a weekly ABL show to air Thursday afternoons.

Quote:
SYDNEY, 11 October - The Australian Baseball League has announced a new television partnership that will see Fox Sports show a 'Game of the Week' throughout the 2012-13 ABL season.
The weekly hour-long program will feature a condensed ABL game along with news, highlights and feature stories from around the league as well as Australian grassroots baseball and Major League Baseball.

Peter Wermuth, CEO of the Australian Baseball League, said expanding television coverage of games beyond the ABL Championship Series and ABL All-Star Game is a significant step forward for one of the country's newest sports leagues, now entering only its third season.

"We are excited to be able to showcase the amazing talent of our players on a national stage," said Wermuth. "Having our sport on national television week-in and week-out is essential to increasing baseball's visibility and accessibility in Australia, not only to die-hard baseball fans but also those new to the game."

The weekly program will air Thursdays from 4-5pm EST. The ABL Games of the Week to be featured include:

1 November - Team Australia vs. Sydney Blue Sox
8 November - Sydney Blue Sox vs. Canberra Cavalry
15 November - Brisbane Bandits vs. Sydney Blue Sox
22 November - Melbourne Aces vs. Perth Heat
30 November - Perth Heat vs. Sydney Blue Sox
6 December - Adelaide Bite vs. Canberra Cavalry
13 December - Canberra Cavalry vs. Sydney Blue Sox
20 December - Adelaide Bite vs. Brisbane Bandits
27 December - Perth Heat vs. Adelaide Bite
3 January - Adelaide Bite vs. Sydney Blue Sox
10 January - Brisbane Bandits vs. Melbourne Aces
17 January - Melbourne Aces vs. Sydney Blue Sox