SMFC STUFF = 1 club-1 thread

SMFC STUFF = 1 club-1 thread

Author
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
5 clubs of greek origin in the vpl, it will be 6 next year when Port Melbourne get promoted...not to mention the other 30 or so playing from div 1 down...the talent simply isnt there anymore.

try and come up with a best greek 11 in Victoria, you would struggle to find names and even when you do you would look at the team and think hmmm how average.

South had about 6 rezzies in the starting lineup against northcote (we got thumped)...not one of them was Greek....not one of Souths transfer window signings are Greek.

Edited by southmelb: 18/5/2011 03:47:42 PM
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Yes but the difference with South Melboune and the other Greek clubs in the VPL is that South Melb is the most successful club this country has had to date, and the biggest Greek
Club in this country. If that alone is not enough to attract the best Greek players in Melbourne, u guys have truly
Lost your soul....
Slade33
Slade33
Weekender
Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)

tell that to all the 'greeks' who abandoned us for victory...
we are doing the best we can in the current environment, with the stadium deal we are now secure for the future, great off field stuff like the tv show etc

hellas lives forever
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

We've had a fair share of Greeks who have left for Sydney FC as well, every ethnic Club has had that problem. I'm not talking about the supporters though, I'm talking about the players.
Krackovich
Krackovich
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

chris wrote:

in football terms - all of smfc's list are all Australians,with a Brazilian and Scott

;)

what about the Moroccan guy?
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Minimalistix wrote:
Yes but the difference with South Melboune and the other Greek clubs in the VPL is that South Melb is the most successful club this country has had to date, and the biggest Greek
Club in this country. If that alone is not enough to attract the best Greek players in Melbourne, u guys have truly
Lost your soul....

At the end of the day its $$$$ that attract players so greek players will go where the money is.

Secondly they mostly suck, honestly i look at the greek players in the vpl and i'd be reluctant to sign any of them, they dont rate for me.

Ever since the nsl brigade greeks retired its been slim pickings.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Krackovich wrote:
chris wrote:

in football terms - all of smfc's list are all Australians,with a Brazilian and Scott

;)

what about the Moroccan guy?

what a nightmare he is:lol:
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker
Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)

Minimalistix wrote:
Lost your soul....

So you're spreading this crap over here as well Mini? What would you know about makes South tick? What would you know about how Greek soccer fans and Greek players go about their business down here?
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

I got my sources
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Daniel Dragicevic, Jean-Charles Dubois and Junior de Camargo to South I'm hearing?
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker
Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)Hacker (327 reputation)

Minimalistix wrote:
I got my sources

Well then ask your sources to name a realistic and worthwhile batch of Greeks playing in Melbourne that we could sign. I'd love to see what they come up with, because like I said to you on twgf, every time some clown pulls out the 'need more Greeks' line, they struggle to actually come up with names.

This whole 'need more Greeks' angle is so stupid, and I find is usually pushed by people who either

a) don't come anymore anyway, and wouldn't really have given a shit how many Greeks were in the team in the old days as long we were winning - while also probably going to watch the Victory or Heart.

b) still come, but just use it as part of an agenda to turn South into what it was back in the early 90s, ignoring what's happened over the past 20 years to the club.
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

1. I'm not on twgf
2. I'm from Sydney
3. I support Sydney Olympic
4. Living in Sydney, Victory or Heart mean nothing to me.
5. I've been to two A-league games before.
T-UNIT
T-UNIT
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Minimalistix wrote:
1. I'm not on twgf

:lol:
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

???
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker

Minimalistix wrote:
???

Fine, Football Anarchy then. :roll:

I know you're from Sydney, I know you support Olympic. What this has to do with anything I don't know, but since you're making assertions about my club that in my opinion are way off the mark, I would expect you to come up with something better than 'I have sources'.
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

I just don't c why South Melb is so embarrasses by their Greek heritage
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker

Minimalistix wrote:
I just don't c why South Melb is so embarrasses by their Greek heritage

Who says we're embarrassed by our Greek heritage?
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

Southern Cross FC
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker

Minimalistix wrote:
Southern Cross FC

What does that have to do with our Greek heritage? Southern Cross didn't have widespread support amongst the club's supporters - in part because so very little detail was actually released about how it was going to all work out. I would indeed hazard to guess that most South fans would have no interest in following a team that wasn't called South Melbourne and didn't wear blue and white.

Maybe next time you come down to Melbourne, you should actually come to a South game and talk to some people who actually follow the club, instead of making rash judgements about who and what we are, and then moving the goalposts when you can't or won't answer the questions posed to you.
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

Believe me, I know passionate south Melbourne supporters.
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker

Minimalistix wrote:
Believe me, I know passionate south Melbourne supporters.

And all you or they could come up with is 'need more Greeks', without naming any players, and referring to an A-League bid that was low on public details. Impressive.
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

How many supporters have south Melbourne banned since entering the VPL?
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker

Minimalistix wrote:
How many supporters have south Melbourne banned since entering the VPL?

In 2007, two or three.

Last year, about the same, who were also the recipients of FFV bans - one of those is back this year.
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

grk-god, eoka warrior etc etc. more then 2 or 3.
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker

Minimalistix wrote:
grk-god, eoka warrior etc etc. more then 2 or 3.

Greek God, EOKA Assassin and maybe Hellas-Youth. Pretty sure they were the only ones banned in 2007, unless you can name some more. The majority of the HFC affiliated people that they were associated with at South back then seemed to leave in protest at their banning and associated issues, which was their right.

They are aware of and disagree with my stance on their attitudes and behaviour throughout that season. There were several incidents which had occurred in 2007 alone which had effectively put them on a short lease - the events at the Victory friendly tipped them over the edge, much to my surprise, as punishments for transgressive behaviour almost always got treated lightly at South for years.

Personally, I've never liked their very extreme right wing political stance, but that's neither here or there. What they do in their own free time is their business, but when they started bringing their extra curricular activities into the club, and had some of their followers claiming that they wanted all the non-Greeks out of South, I think the club eventually came to the natural conclusion that there was no immediate future at the club for some of these people.
Minimalistix
Minimalistix
Semi-Pro

that's a shame.
Blackmissionary
Blackmissionary
Hacker

Isn't it just.
gaspar
gaspar
Weekender
Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)Weekender (35 reputation)

is Kliment Taseski still at the South ?
Slade33
Slade33
Weekender
Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)

kliment has a hamstring injury hopefully back in a week or 2

highlights vs gully, 3 absolutely shocking goals to concede
[youtube]HvqpBYvsU0M[/youtube]

Edited by slade33: 20/5/2011 02:08:45 PM
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Dodgy 1-0 win against a very average Springvale side.

Another good goal from Jesse Krncevic, catching the defense off guard and looping a header over the keeper.

Ljubo played central midfield and was a different class every time he was on the ball - showed the difference between the top end of the A-league and the VPL. Looked a bit frustrated with his team-mates at times.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search