A-League Paytv Ratings

A-League Paytv Ratings

Author
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
So there won't be complaints about clogging up other threads.

Week 45: 31 October - 6 November 2010

1 RUGBY LEAGUE: FOUR NATIONS AU V NZ FOX SPORTS 3 Sat 20:30 - 70
2 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE NEWC V MELB H FOX SPORTS 1 Sun 16:00 - 63
3 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE N QLD V C CST FOX SPORTS 1 Fri 20:30 - 59
4 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 21:00 - 57
5 LIVE: FOOTBALL: EPL BOLTON V TOTTENHAM FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 23:15 - 54
6 LIVE: RUGBY LEAGUE: FOUR NATIONS PNG V ENG FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 15:55 - 51
7 FOOTBALL: EPL HIGHLIGHTS FOX SPORTS 1 Mon 18:00 - 50
8 RUGBY UNION: BLEDISLOE CUP FOX SPORTS 2 Sun 15:30 - 49
9 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE NTH QLD V GOLD FOX SPORTS 1 Sun 18:00 - 47
10 LIVE: FOOTBALL: EPL MAN UNITED V WOLVES FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 1:55 - 44

TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Thanks mate. These are very interesting to look at.

Also are these national ratings or 5 capital city rating etc.
Rocketman38
Rocketman38
Fan
Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)

Edited by Rocketman38: 9/11/2010 01:44:33 PM
gul15
gul15
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)

I try and do my little bit for the A-League and leave my tv on fox sports when a game is on and im not at home ;)
every little rating helps!
madzaman
madzaman
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

It would be good to see how this has changed over the last few years i'd hope that its gone up significantly.
skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

TimmyJ wrote:
Thanks mate. These are very interesting to look at.

Also are these national ratings or 5 capital city rating etc.

All inclusive national ratings. Astra don't do the 5 city metro now. They also now only publish the top 10 sports and top 10 general genre, which leaves a lot to be desired.
FTA still does a 5 city metro with a daily top 50 and weekly top 100.

Edited by skeptic: 9/11/2010 02:11:06 PM
skeptic
skeptic
Pro

madzaman wrote:
It would be good to see how this has changed over the last few years i'd hope that its gone up significantly.

Last season had an increase in aggregate viewing with the increae in games telecast and around 10% decrease in per game viewing. Checking last seasons up to this period of the season without doing a detailed game by game comparison with this years, thus far are down about 15-20% on last season.

The ratings trends have tended to follow the trend for the aleague attendances over the lst 5 years. You can see for yourself if you want to take the time to go over all the previous years. The first couple were 5 city metro, so will be down bout 20% on the actual national viewing. Regional accounts for the 20%, there abouts.
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/
madzaman
madzaman
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

skeptic wrote:
madzaman wrote:

Last season had an increase in aggregate viewing with the increae in games telecast and around 10% decrease in per game viewing. Checking last seasons up to this period of the season without doing a detailed game by game comparison with this years, thus far are down about 15-20% on last season.

The ratings trends have tended to follow the trend for the aleague attendances over the lst 5 years. You can see for yourself if you want to take the time to go over all the previous years. The first couple were 5 city metro, so will be down bout 20% on the actual national viewing. Regional accounts for the 20%, there abouts.
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/

Thanks, shame to see that though as I personally got payTV as i live 3 hours from melbs to support the a-league...
skeptic
skeptic
Pro

There's been no public release as yet, but here's an article re paytv's top 100 telecasts ( all genre) for the year to date.

The two football telecasts mentioned were 299 and 272k

Article in part
Quote:
Rugby league tops pay TV stats
Brent Read From: The Australian November 09, 2010 12:00AM

Figures obtained by The Australian show the NRL comprehensively dominated its rivals this year, yet another indication the game can expect a windfall from its next television deal.

Ratings from pay television until the end of October show four of the top five shows this year are NRL games - the French Open final involving Samantha Stosur is the lone interloper, finishing in third spot.

The biggest game of the year remains the Parramatta-Sydney Roosters game, played at Parramatta Stadium in July. The further you dig, the more impressive the figures for the NRL. Of the top 50 shows, 39 are rugby league. Of the top 100, 73 are from the NRL.

Next best is cricket with 11 games in the top 100, split between Twenty20 and one-day cricket. Only nine AFL games make the cut, although the sport has a greater presence on free-to-air television than the NRL.

The highest-rating AFL game was between Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs in June. It finished in 33rd spot, attracting an average of 271,260 viewers. In contrast, the Eels-Roosters game registered an average of 360,633 viewers.

The results were even worse for soccer and rugby union. Rugby only had four entrants and none were Super 15 games. Rugby's first entrant was the opening Bledisloe Cup game against New Zealand, which featured in 21st place with an average audience of 281,523 viewers. It was also broadcast on commercial television.

The A-League was similarly ignored by pay-television subscribers. Only two soccer games featured in the top 100 - the Australia-New Zealand international was prominent at 14th while last year's A-League grand final languished in 74th place.

The remaining place on the top 100 was reserved for last month's final of Australia's Next Top Model. The latest figures will only strengthen the belief that rugby league is set to reap a bumper deal when it officially starts television rights negotiations next year.

Article in full http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/rugby-league-tops-pay-tv-stats/story-e6frg7mf-1225949650021
Clinton
Clinton
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

i watched the last couple of mins of an A-league game the other night off "a webpage" and there were 350 others viewing it (there were probably a lot more were watching earlier in the game), this was one of the 4 streams of the same game on the site and I'm sure there are a lot more sites that show A-league games on the net.

Considering that these games are only getting around 50k on paytv a couple of thousand watching on the net is fairly significant.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
gul15 wrote:
I try and do my little bit for the A-League and leave my tv on fox sports when a game is on and im not at home ;)

Does this really work? I've heard some say it doesn't...

I would really like to know because I will def do that if it works. And I'll also make sure the eggball codes NEVER appear on my screen!
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

gul15 wrote:

I would really like to know because I will def do that if it works. And I'll also make sure the eggball codes NEVER appear on my screen!
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Clinton wrote:
Considering that these games are only getting around 50k on paytv a couple of thousand watching on the net is fairly significant.

A payTV box is more likely to be watched by 2-3 people. A PC stream isnt.

The payTV figures may represent 100k-150k, making a couple of thousand over the web insignificant.

bennyblanco
bennyblanco
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

cbowden9000 wrote:
gul15 wrote:

How it Works

Some people have been getting confused how the Australian ratings system work here is a brief guide. If you have any other questions post away and I'll try to answer them.

There is two panels that operate in Australia those being: The Metropolitan panel and the National Subscription TV panel.

The metro panel has 3035 homes (765 Syd, 705 Melb, 615 Bris, 475 Adel & 475 Perth

The Nat Sub TV panel has just over 1000.

Hosues are recruited at random by random phone calling. The recruitment process is monitored to make sure that the panel is an accurate representation of the population ie the percentage of over 55's in the panels is the same as the population. There are the same percentage of female's as there are in population etc.

Once a household has been recruited every TV is fitted with a set top box that records, the exact time the TV is turned on and off, What channel is tuned, and most importantly how and how many people are watching this is entered via remote.

This Information is sent back to OzTAM nightly and this is then feed into "Pollux" which gives the audience database which includes individual by individual, minute-by-minute data. This is combined with the broadcast logs so that the audience database is linked to actual shows.

its imprortant to note that an individual is never identified except in terms of demographic and profile.

I always wanted to know this so i googled some sites

If your not one of those 3000 homes then it wouldnt work. you will know if your one of those homes....we need to get ourselves in to the 3000 home slection system somehow....
bennyblanco
bennyblanco
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

skeptic wrote:
So there won't be complaints about clogging up other threads.

Week 45: 31 October - 6 November 2010

1 RUGBY LEAGUE: FOUR NATIONS AU V NZ FOX SPORTS 3 Sat 20:30 - 70
2 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE NEWC V MELB H FOX SPORTS 1 Sun 16:00 - 63
3 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE N QLD V C CST FOX SPORTS 1 Fri 20:30 - 59
4 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 21:00 - 57
5 LIVE: FOOTBALL: EPL BOLTON V TOTTENHAM FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 23:15 - 54
6 LIVE: RUGBY LEAGUE: FOUR NATIONS PNG V ENG FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 15:55 - 51
7 FOOTBALL: EPL HIGHLIGHTS FOX SPORTS 1 Mon 18:00 - 50
8 RUGBY UNION: BLEDISLOE CUP FOX SPORTS 2 Sun 15:30 - 49
9 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE NTH QLD V GOLD FOX SPORTS 1 Sun 18:00 - 47
10 LIVE: FOOTBALL: EPL MAN UNITED V WOLVES FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 1:55 - 44

Isn't that our best week so far this season? As far as matches in the top 10? Its a shame that we are down 25% this year, I honestly beleive its due to the fact that thye decided they couldnt advertise during august and september. so people just didnt know it was on.

not that advertising is actually visible now though. better off to start the season in October and have a massive advertisement drive then.

Also interesting that north queesland have 2 matches in the top 10
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

I don't quite understand - are those figures like 63, 59, 57... next to each match, are they meaning 63,000? TBH that doesn't 'seem' too bad to me, especially considering it's pay TV.

BTW Re: Second article posted by Skeptic where he highlights the bolded part - note the biased language of those sentences:

'The A-League was similarly ignored by pay-television subscribers. Only two soccer games featured in the top 100 - the Australia-New Zealand international was prominent at 14th while last year's A-League grand final languished in 74th place.'

I know they vaguely articulate their frame of reference, but it's still ludicrous to position the A-League in that light. To suggest the A-League and it's ratings fail, because the NRL and other things are rating strongly (or to their expectations) is kind of dumb. Others would say that those ratings for the A-League meet the expectations or may even exceed, and may also be meeting the goals/targets of Foxtel and even the A-League iself. And to, reading between the lines, assert that the A-League should somehow be topping these charts, is again, dumb, considering the other sporting events Foxsports shows.

That language is just a cheap shot at the A-League.

Edited by GloryPerth: 9/11/2010 09:25:23 PM
skeptic
skeptic
Pro

bennyblanco wrote:

Isn't that our best week so far this season? As far as matches in the top 10? Its a shame that we are down 25% this year, I honestly beleive its due to the fact that thye decided they couldnt advertise during august and september. so people just didnt know it was on.

not that advertising is actually visible now though. better off to start the season in October and have a massive advertisement drive then.

Also interesting that north queesland have 2 matches in the top 10

Yes, for a reason. For the first time this seeason there was very little other live sport sport. The four nations #1 was a replay from earlier fta telecast, the Bledisloe Cup was also a replay and no cricket.
skeptic
skeptic
Pro

GloryPerth wrote:
I don't quite understand - are those figures like 63, 59, 57... next to each match, are they meaning 63,000? TBH that doesn't 'seem' too bad to me, especially considering it's pay TV.

BTW Re: Second article posted by Skeptic where he highlights the bolded part - note the biased language of those sentences:

'The A-League was similarly ignored by pay-television subscribers. Only two soccer games featured in the top 100 - the Australia-New Zealand international was prominent at 14th while last year's A-League grand final languished in 74th place.'

I know they vaguely articulate their frame of reference, but it's still ludicrous to position the A-League in that light. To suggest the A-League and it's ratings fail, because the NRL and other things are rating strongly (or to their expectations) is kind of dumb. Others would say that those ratings for the A-League meet the expectations or may even exceed, and may also be meeting the goals/targets of Foxtel and even the A-League iself. And to, reading between the lines, assert that the A-League should somehow be topping these charts, is again, dumb, considering the other sporting events Foxsports shows.

You read something between those lines I still cant see. Assert the aleague to be topping the charts?

I've checked the truth of the figures in the article and they're fine. A far as the language goes I think we all need to grow up and stop crying every time we see language that's not topped with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.

Yes, they are x1000. Glory, relative to other paytv sports ratings and at a time of little competition, they are very, very ordinary, have been getting more ordinary for the last few seasons and need to improve appreciably or we may in reality, be unpleasantly surprised at the next contract offer. The RL U20 comp gets higher ratings, for God's sake.

skeptic
skeptic
Pro

Benny blanco, you just described the methodology for FTA ratings.
bennyblanco
bennyblanco
Pro

skeptic wrote:

oops. so these rating are ACTUAL ratings and NOT a statistic then? bummer, i was kinda hoping that they would be better than they actually are d/t poor home spread for the ratings.

well i dont have fox so i cant really add to it unfortunately. i have been on a stream site where there are over 1000 watching. quite a high % compared to actual people watching. %2 or so?

wonder why the Fury games do better than other games?
TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

bennyblanco wrote:

The weather may be a factor. Dairy Farmers looks quite open to the elements.
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend

skeptic wrote:
GloryPerth wrote:

You read something between those lines I still cant see. Assert the aleague to be topping the charts?

I've checked the truth of the figures in the article and they're fine. A far as the language goes I think we all need to grow up and stop crying every time we see language that's not topped with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.

Yes, they are x1000. Glory, relative to other paytv sports ratings and at a time of little competition, they are very, very ordinary, have been getting more ordinary for the last few seasons and need to improve appreciably or we may in reality, be unpleasantly surprised at the next contract offer. The RL U20 comp gets higher ratings, for God's sake.

I wasn't questioning the figures.

Ok so the ratings are down or whatever, but I'm saying ofcourse RL is popular or whatever and ofcourse it will rate higher?

So too AFL, Super 15 and Cricket? They're all very popular sports in this country and I presume are popular on Foxtel too, well what they show of it. And I'd expect many of their events do rate higher, I'd be surprised if otherwise.

Not saying I'm happy the ratings are down or that I may disagree with some of what you say - It's NOT good they're down and yeah, that will impact on the deal, that's logical, how much, who knows - but fundamental fact, we still have three more teams than when the last deal was negotiated, AGES ago, and could well have 12 by time we negotiate the new deal. That's alot more fixtures to be telecasting right there. The deal should be increasing atleast somewhat, by time of the next negotiation. It's just a matter of by how much. The product is in a stronger, firmer position, from when the original deal was signed - when it was unknown territory, more of a risk etc... It's a known commodity now and atleast Fox will be re-bidding for it, we know that!

Article in part
Quote:
Rugby league tops pay TV stats
Brent Read From: The Australian November 09, 2010 12:00AM

Figures obtained by The Australian show the NRL comprehensively dominated its rivals this year, yet another indication the game can expect a windfall from its next television deal.

Ratings from pay television until the end of October show four of the top five shows this year are NRL games - the French Open final involving Samantha Stosur is the lone interloper, finishing in third spot.

The biggest game of the year remains the Parramatta-Sydney Roosters game, played at Parramatta Stadium in July. The further you dig, the more impressive the figures for the NRL. Of the top 50 shows, 39 are rugby league. Of the top 100, 73 are from the NRL.

Next best is cricket with 11 games in the top 100, split between Twenty20 and one-day cricket. Only nine AFL games make the cut, although the sport has a greater presence on free-to-air television than the NRL.

The highest-rating AFL game was between Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs in June. It finished in 33rd spot, attracting an average of 271,260 viewers. In contrast, the Eels-Roosters game registered an average of 360,633 viewers.

The results were even worse for soccer and rugby union. Rugby only had four entrants and none were Super 15 games. Rugby's first entrant was the opening Bledisloe Cup game against New Zealand, which featured in 21st place with an average audience of 281,523 viewers. It was also broadcast on commercial television.

The A-League was similarly ignored by pay-television subscribers. Only two soccer games featured in the top 100 - the Australia-New Zealand international was prominent at 14th while last year's A-League grand final languished in 74th place.

The remaining place on the top 100 was reserved for last month's final of Australia's Next Top Model. The latest figures will only strengthen the belief that rugby league is set to reap a bumper deal when it officially starts television rights negotiations next year.

Article in full http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/rugby-league-tops-pay-tv-stats/story-e6frg7mf-1225949650021[/quote]

Ah, The Australian, as in News Ltd, as in NRL's biggest fan, backer, including the backer of the Melbourne Storm franchise and all it's controversies. News Ltd is home to some of this code's biggest haters too, like Rebecca Wilson, though I certainly acknowledge that columnist is very far from this article. Anyway, fair play, good for the NRL, to get good ratings or whatever. Sure they say the AFL is down, and Union wasn't great. But their analysis for the A-League had the more exaggerated language. Sure might be slight cry over couple words, but I'm just surprised that even in something more mundane as this, they still have a dig at the code. The sport may aswell be dying according to them, we're ignored and languishing. It also takes out of context that Socceroos internationals will always be the bigger drawers compared to any A-League matches, including the Grand Final. AFL and Union were down, but their analysis of their results were far less colourful and more matter of fact. I guess we must just be that special.

And as you suggested, the ratings just match the attendances, it's certainly not preferable to have the ratings drop at any time, but again, I suppose they match the expectations, hardly too surprising?

But no, the sky is falling in? May aswell give up and pack it in, I guess? :p

TimmyJ wrote:
bennyblanco wrote:

The weather may be a factor. Dairy Farmers looks quite open to the elements.

Ok I definitely don't follow - I presume Benny Blanco meant do better as in better ratings. That has little to do with the weather in regards to viewers TimmyJ - unless the elements took out the power of many Foxtel viewers in Sydney or something. ;)

The Fury games 'rate' better because of one thing, 'Fowler Factor.' The Fury were the travelling roadshow of last season (Which these ratings seem to be from - e.g. ratings for last season's A-League Grand Final), with all the Fury's away fixtures drawing bigger crowds for the hosting sides. I suppose more expat Poms or whoever have Foxtel tuned in for some of the Fury matches aswell.

Edited by GloryPerth: 10/11/2010 02:52:32 AM
bennyblanco
bennyblanco
Pro

I thought that the ratings skeptic posted in the first post were from 2 weeks ago. fury v central coast and fury vs gold coast. yep they were because heart is listed as well ie not last years ratings

so the fowler factor isnt a reason for fury to be more popular. is it because fury are everybodys 2nd team?
madzaman
madzaman
Pro

bennyblanco wrote:
skeptic wrote:

oops. so these rating are ACTUAL ratings and NOT a statistic then? bummer, i was kinda hoping that they would be better than they actually are d/t poor home spread for the ratings.

well i dont have fox so i cant really add to it unfortunately. i have been on a stream site where there are over 1000 watching. quite a high % compared to actual people watching. %2 or so?

I know for myself those games tend to be close games that usally go down to the wire, plus they would have to be my 2nd fav team.

Its their style of play, I woudln't be surprised to roar up there in the next few weeks with their exciting style of play.
madzaman
madzaman
Pro

Clinton wrote:
i watched the last couple of mins of an A-league game the other night off "a webpage" and there were 350 others viewing it (there were probably a lot more were watching earlier in the game), this was one of the 4 streams of the same game on the site and I'm sure there are a lot more sites that show A-league games on the net.

IN a way though watching it this way is hurting the a-league - IMO
skeptic
skeptic
Pro

Quote:
But no, the sky is falling in? May aswell give up and pack it in, I guess?

Glory, no mention made of the sky falling, only that the ratings are poor and therefore not doing us any favours with our next contract negotiations or any interest in the product by competing telecasters. The aleague running in summer when paytv content is at it lowest is no coincidence and will remain it's saviour while summer content is required. Yep, agree it will be increased, even if only because of the increase in games telecast. But it will increase.

benny,
The fury don't regulary rate better than others. There's no solid rule of thumb as which games will rate higher, though Sydney and Melbourne appear to do so quite often. They also of course, have the largest fox viewership in their largest cities.

tfozz
tfozz
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

madzaman wrote:
Clinton wrote:

I live abroad and pay through the AFC website that stream games, however, it is no different to the free streaming available on various sites. In defense of those watching online, Fox leaves a lot of ex-pat Aussies with very few choices to actually watch the games besides illegal streaming.
Tommycash
Tommycash
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Is that 63 thousand?
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

bennyblanco wrote:
cbowden9000 wrote:
gul15 wrote:

How it Works

Some people have been getting confused how the Australian ratings system work here is a brief guide. If you have any other questions post away and I'll try to answer them.

There is two panels that operate in Australia those being: The Metropolitan panel and the National Subscription TV panel.

The metro panel has 3035 homes (765 Syd, 705 Melb, 615 Bris, 475 Adel & 475 Perth

The Nat Sub TV panel has just over 1000.

Hosues are recruited at random by random phone calling. The recruitment process is monitored to make sure that the panel is an accurate representation of the population ie the percentage of over 55's in the panels is the same as the population. There are the same percentage of female's as there are in population etc.

Once a household has been recruited every TV is fitted with a set top box that records, the exact time the TV is turned on and off, What channel is tuned, and most importantly how and how many people are watching this is entered via remote.

This Information is sent back to OzTAM nightly and this is then feed into "Pollux" which gives the audience database which includes individual by individual, minute-by-minute data. This is combined with the broadcast logs so that the audience database is linked to actual shows.

its imprortant to note that an individual is never identified except in terms of demographic and profile.

I always wanted to know this so i googled some sites

If your not one of those 3000 homes then it wouldnt work. you will know if your one of those homes....we need to get ourselves in to the 3000 home slection system somehow....

If that's true then how can they claim things like "2 million Australians watched packed to the rafters last night" and "the Melbourne cup was seen by 3 million people" etc?
Clinton
Clinton
Pro

madzaman wrote:
Clinton wrote:

agreed, I have a fox subscription but live away from home during the week so have to make do with a stream.

At least Hyundai, the sponsors get value out of games being played over the net.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search