The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

Author
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
scubaroo - 20 Apr 2018 1:07 PM
Could the system used by kev on wednesday be a test of an evolution of his own system that we might see more of next year or just playing to the strengths of the team. 
Either way surely its got to be a positive that he's prepared to change something to make it better rather than what he's been giving us for 5 years. 

I think he was just playing to the strengths of the team he put out. Although he has shown a lot more tactical change in the past month than he had ever shown previously, so I'm expecting change next year.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
FBK announcing his playing retirement after tonight's match on just now on Fox Sports, pretty much just talking about Victory. 

I really hope we bring him back as an assistant or youth coach at Victory, he'd be great.
Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

paladisious - 20 Apr 2018 10:44 PM
FBK announcing his playing retirement after tonight's match on just now on Fox Sports, pretty much just talking about Victory. 

I really hope we bring him back as an assistant or youth coach at Victory, he'd be great.

He did say he wants to coach  at the academy when he was still with us. Wonder if adp had kept in contact with him 
Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Is Theo contracted for next season?
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Last i heard, the gf will be on a Saturday... in that case newcastle better fucking win against city. I couldnt bare us beating sydney (unlikely) to get into a derby gf and not being able to go. Best man at a wedding on the Saturday night. 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Corey Brown has let the cat out of the bag by saying he has signed with us. So with Storm Roux coming, we have fixed our fullback issues. Also hearing talk Leroy is staying. not sure in what context though (whether he is under the cap or marquee).
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 23 Apr 2018 9:45 AM
Corey Brown has let the cat out of the bag by saying he has signed with us. So with Storm Roux coming, we have fixed our fullback issues. Also hearing talk Leroy is staying. not sure in what context though (whether he is under the cap or marquee).

So this is my wishlist for next season's squad:

>Matt Acton - keep
>Rhys Williams - keep
>Leigh Broxham - keep
>Ken Athiu - release
>Besart Berisha - keep (non-marquee)
>Kosta Barbarouses - keep
>James Troisi - keep (preference would be non-marquee but I don't think that is going to happen)
>Mitch Austin - release
>Thomas Deng - keep
>Cameron McGilp - keep
>Josh Hope - keep
>James Donachie - keep
>Matias Sanchez - release
>Pierce Waring - keep
>Lawrence Thomas - keep
>Carl Valeri - release/retire
>Stefan Nigro - keep (borderline)
>Jai Ingham - keep (borderline)
>Terry Antonis - keep
>Christian Theoharous - keep
>Matt Sutton - keep (youth scholarship keeper)
>Leroy George - keep (most likely marquee)

Total released = 4 (Athiu, Austin, Sanchez, Valeri)

Likely incoming transfers (confirmed or just about confirmed) = 2
>Storm Roux
>Corey Brown

Squad total = 20
Marquees = 2 (Troisi, George)

Wishlist
>Central midfielder to partner Antonis
>True #10 (not Troisi)
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I wouldn't want Valeri to go, still think he has another year in him as a back up option. 

Also think Nigro is a bit stiff in your list, clearly has quality when given an opportunity (and still hasn't played in his preferred position). 
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

jlm8695 - 23 Apr 2018 10:07 AM
I wouldn't want Valeri to go, still think he has another year in him as a back up option. 

Also think Nigro is a bit stiff in your list, clearly has quality when given an opportunity (and still hasn't played in his preferred position). 

I guess my only concern about Valeri sticking around is that his seniority will see him be picked, especially if he is still captain. If he relinquishes the captaincy in the off-season and is happy to just be a regular squaddie than I am happy with that, but I definitely think that he has regressed and as such, shouldn't be a walk up start into the side.

Nigro is an interesting one - I just don't see a spot for him in the side outside of being a utility replacement on the bench, especially with both Roux and Brown coming in for the fullback positions. Happy to keep him around but he's not worth fighting for if another club can offer him a starting XI position imo.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend

Our slow start to the season really fucked us over - four points in the first six games:

Very lucky that we came home with a wet sail with six wins from 7 matches to finish the regular season - that form also being produced whilst we were in the midst of an ACL campaign too.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

walnuts - 23 Apr 2018 10:11 AM
jlm8695 - 23 Apr 2018 10:07 AM

I guess my only concern about Valeri sticking around is that his seniority will see him be picked, especially if he is still captain. If he relinquishes the captaincy in the off-season and is happy to just be a regular squaddie than I am happy with that, but I definitely think that he has regressed and as such, shouldn't be a walk up start into the side.

Nigro is an interesting one - I just don't see a spot for him in the side outside of being a utility replacement on the bench, especially with both Roux and Brown coming in for the fullback positions. Happy to keep him around but he's not worth fighting for if another club can offer him a starting XI position imo.

Valeri and Broxy should be retired and a DM brought in as a visa played with Nigro used as his backup. But i expect both to play on and Nigro will be snapped up by another team and will excel (like Naboutt and Pain). 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

walnuts - 23 Apr 2018 10:04 AM
Feed_The_Brox - 23 Apr 2018 9:45 AM

So this is my wishlist for next season's squad:

>Ken Athiu - release

Why would you not want to keep Athiu? He can probably be signed at a very reasonable salary as he is still young. During Muscat's post match interview yesterday, he lumped massive praise on the kid and it sounded like he is here to stay. In addition to Bes we do need another true striker. Wouldn't mind seeing the system change and having both Bes and Kenny upfront. Athiu has only played 67mins total this season and has scored 1 goal (plus goals scored at the ACL). Bes has played 2264 mins and scored 14 goals. That's 1 goal for every 161.7 minutes of play compared to Athiu's 1 goal for 67mins. Being signed in October last year, he also didn't receive a proper pre-season at MV. If MV are able to keep him, he will definitely make an impact next season. 

Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

someguyjc - 23 Apr 2018 10:26 AM

Why would you not want to keep Athiu? He can probably be signed at a very reasonable salary as he is still young. During Muscat's post match interview yesterday, he lumped massive praise on the kid and it sounded like he is here to stay. In addition to Bes we do need another true striker. Wouldn't mind seeing the system change and having both Bes and Kenny upfront. Athiu has only played 67mins total this season and has scored 1 goal (plus goals scored at the ACL). Bes has played 2264 mins and scored 14 goals. That's 1 goal for every 161.7 minutes of play compared to Athiu's 1 goal for 67mins. Being signed in October last year, he also didn't receive a proper pre-season at MV. If MV are able to keep him, he will definitely make an impact next season. 

Agreed. Kenny has come a long way. Would be surprised if he is not with us next year and I would be happy to see him as backup again.
The other comments by 'Walnuts' and 'Feed the Bronx' are all pretty close to the mark.

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

Edited
6 Years Ago by Iknowbest
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Broxham is our only player eligible for the loyalty player rule isn't he? No way he gets let go if thats the case. .
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

jlm8695 - 23 Apr 2018 10:43 AM
Broxham is our only player eligible for the loyalty player rule isn't he? No way he gets let go if thats the case. .

Laurence Thomas was signed in 2011 so he has been eligible as a loyalty exemption for a while.

With the loyalty progressive scale, Broxham (10+ years) has 50% of his salary completely exempt from the cap. Thomas (7 years) has 35% of his salary exempt from the cap.

Jason Geria was also a Loyalty player this year until he left.

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

For anyone looking, you can go this weekend via Jetstar for $98 return (fly in/out Sat/Sun 7AM). Would jump on that if I wasn't already going the week after. 

(I'm also praying that Newcastle win if we win, as I'd be able to go). 

Edited
6 Years Ago by jlm8695
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

No way should we release Kenny. We finally have two impact subs in Kenny and Theohaurus who can both change a game when coming on. Kenny has shown more in 67 mins than any of our previous Berisha backups have shown. 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Berisha is going to cry like a little girl when we beat his arse this Saturday.  
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

jlm8695 - 23 Apr 2018 11:40 AM
For anyone looking, you can go this weekend via Jetstar for $98 return (fly in/out Sat/Sun 7AM). Would jump on that if I wasn't already going the week after. 

(I'm also praying that Newcastle win if we win, as I'd be able to go). 

Would they have the GF in Newy if that's the case?

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

Iknowbest - 23 Apr 2018 10:39 AM

Agreed. Kenny has come a long way. Would be surprised if he is not with us next year and I would be happy to see him as backup again.
The other comments by 'Walnuts' and 'Feed the Bronx' are all pretty close to the mark.

for the record i never said I wanted to release King Kenny. I am a fan and signing him up is a no brainer. 
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

paulbagzFC - 23 Apr 2018 12:42 PM
jlm8695 - 23 Apr 2018 11:40 AM

Would they have the GF in Newy if that's the case?

-PB

According to a Daily Telegraph report, people power has influenced the decision of A-League competition chiefs with fans demanding a more convenient time for families to attend the competition’s showpiece event.

The decider is expected to be played on Saturday May 5 if Sydney FC, Newcastle Jets, Melbourne Victory or Western Sydney Wanderers host the match, with kick-off likey to be as early as 7pm (AEST).

A Melbourne City hosted grand final would also likely take place on Saturday May 5 but the venue and date could change depending on their opponents.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/02/27/people-power-forces-league-grand-final-date-change

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Win on Saturday and we take City's ACL spot :')
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

jlm8695 - 29 Apr 2018 9:44 AM
Win on Saturday and we take City's ACL spot :')

If that  happens delicious 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Lawrence Thomas was unbelievable last night. Hopefully for MV’s sake he can stick around.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Bowden - 29 Apr 2018 10:01 AM
Lawrence Thomas was unbelievable last night. Hopefully for MV’s sake he can stick around.

Hes been this way all season though. He has made an ordinary defence look passable.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Bowden - 29 Apr 2018 10:01 AM

Hope so to. Iirc he seems happy here and would like stick It out for a couple of more seasons before he heads back o/s . Remember he was always a no 2 before  for got injured 
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Tickets GOT
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Newcastle was awesome for the Asian cup semi final, now we are actually playing a big game there is the first time I've felt like I'm missing out on something important since leaving. 

If you get the chance, check out the tennis club near the ground on match day. Great bunch of football friendly people there, the beer is cheap and it's a great match day feed as well (super anglo roast beef roll stuff but it's delicious alternative to our usual favourite #effnikfeed).

Viennese Vuck

soccer_fan
soccer_fan
Hacker
Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)

ErogenousZone - 23 Apr 2018 12:34 PM

Berisha is going to cry like a little girl when we beat his arse this Saturday.  

Lol
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Agree with melbterrace.

Went to Newy in Feb and it was an awesome weekend.
Really nice city and I could imagine the whole city buzzing for Saturday’s game.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search