The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
miron mercedes - 19 Jan 2021 12:11 PM
Mello-D - 19 Jan 2021 11:46 AM

What club is he from ? and is that actually his name or a nickname  ?

Pretty sure he plays for Strikers? 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Mello-D - 19 Jan 2021 11:46 AM

What club is he from ? and is that actually his name or a nickname  ?

Ex Roar youth, played at strikers last season. 

Also another signing made, a striker/winger but I can’t find any details on that 

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Waz - 19 Jan 2021 2:26 PM

Ex Roar youth, played at strikers last season. 

Also another signing made, a striker/winger but I can’t find any details on that 

Alex Parsons?
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Mello-D - 19 Jan 2021 1:27 PM

Pretty sure he plays for Strikers? 

Was keeper when Strikers beat Wellington in penalty shootout in FFA Cup a couple of years back.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Wenzil-Halls playing the best football of his Roar career. Forget the goals, his overall contribution has lifted significantly 👏👏
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Gotta say, Daley reminds me a lot of Bratts.  The team looked rusty, and still got it done. Jack might need to sit out a couple of games.

Waz
Waz
Legend

aok - 20 Jan 2021 9:35 PM
Gotta say, Daley reminds me a lot of Bratts.  The team looked rusty, and still got it done. Jack might need to sit out a couple of games.

Yeah, agree. 

Jack, Corey are blowing hot n cold 

Daley looks the goods 

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Waz - 20 Jan 2021 9:38 PM

Yeah, agree. 

Jack, Corey are blowing hot n cold 

Daley looks the goods 

Looking ok for a 10th ranked team 😂😂😂😂😂
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Waz - 20 Jan 2021 9:07 PM
Wenzil-Halls playing the best football of his Roar career. Forget the goals, his overall contribution has lifted significantly 👏👏

amazing when a coach believes in you and can also coach themselves and not be a figurehead for publicity

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Jets played it close and tough and we were rattled and unsettled for two thirds of the game. Same sort of playing style that Victory used on us in their dominant first half.

We have to find the composure to play our game when we are getting tied down - rather than constantly returning the ball to our opposition when we have the opportunity to pass.

Did I miss something or was our new Japanese striker's only touch the final header in the game?

Battled out a good win. Jets are unlucky to be none from four - but that can be discussed in their own thread.

Gillesphey the goods again this season. His sense of timing in tackles and positioning is so solid. We have settled considerably from the vulnerable backline we started with last season. Still not rock solid mind you - plenty of scary moments in that game especially every corner.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Waz
Waz
Legend

Roar in me Blood - 20 Jan 2021 10:45 PM
Jets played it close and tough and we were rattled and unsettled for two thirds of the game. Same sort of playing style that Victory used on us in their dominant first half.

We have to find the composure to play our game when we are getting tied down - rather than constantly returning the ball to our opposition when we have the opportunity to pass.

Did I miss something or was our new Japanese striker's only touch the final header in the game?

Battled out a good win. Jets are unlucky to be none from four - but that can be discussed in their own thread.

Gillesphey the goods again this season. His sense of timing in tackles and positioning is so solid. We have settled considerably from the vulnerable backline we started with last season. Still not rock solid mind you - plenty of scary moments in that game especially every corner.

Roar deserve a lot of credit for that performance. 

Biggest sin was turning over the ball when coming out of defence ... 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Waz - 20 Jan 2021 10:51 PM

Agree on both points. It was a very hard fight and we were never defeated in the game - we just brought extra pressure on ourselves with those turnovers which I consider to be highly unusual for us.

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Yes, with that much possession the Jets had a lot of shots from outside the box which were relatively easy for Freke. He withstood the pressure of the corners, even though a bit shaky immediately after half time. 
Funny that our centre backs were pretty dominant, yet their goal came from a corner. Overall the corners tonight were very good. Great result, and the Jets will cause a lot of problems over the season. Great 3 points to pick up.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Footballking55 - 20 Jan 2021 10:57 PM

Yes, with that much possession the Jets had a lot of shots from outside the box which were relatively easy for Freke. He withstood the pressure of the corners, even though a bit shaky immediately after half time. 
Funny that our centre backs were pretty dominant, yet their goal came from a corner. Overall the corners tonight were very good. Great result, and the Jets will cause a lot of problems over the season. Great 3 points to pick up.

I think the height of the Jets players at corners combined with the quality of the balls in was the key to that. Can't see that fading away either over the season.

For our part that is out of our control - nothing more we can do than trust in Aldred and Gillesphey to continue doing what they are so good at and making the right decisions when our opposition have more tall players in the box than us.

Waz
Waz
Legend

Very simple mistake for that conceded corner - the defender attacked the line of flight of the ball instead of attacking the ball. A bit lazy but otherwise good tonight. 

Gillesphey was huge, MOTM imo 

Larrygdwl
Larrygdwl
Under 7s
Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)Under 7s (18 reputation)

Hingret and Brown against Newcastle were are not good enough. We need to replace them as soon as possible 
Waz
Waz
Legend

Larrygdwl - 21 Jan 2021 8:56 AM

Hingret and Brown against Newcastle were are not good enough. We need to replace them as soon as possible 

I agree. And I think we have the replacements on the bench. 
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

he doesnt have the passing range that bratts does but he has a greater work ethic. where bratts is comfortable sitting back deep and starting play with sublime passing skills Daley is better at moving around and keeping moves flowing forward. They both are very good at breaking up play defensively. I rate Daley a lot and if he can continue to improve he will become a great player. 

Larrygdwl - 21 Jan 2021 8:56 AM

I haven't re-watched to see why they struggled but i am not entirely convinced that it was their fault that they looked under pressure. I think it was more of a mismatch in tactics with brown and hingert in two minds on whether to push up onto NJ's fullbacks or not as NJ were playing 3-5-2/5-3-2 moon definitely didn't have them drilled on how to set up against this. look at the average position of the players https://www.a-league.com.au/match/newcastle-jets-v-brisbane-roar-fc-a-league-20-01-2021/2176834#!/stats hingert and brown were pushed forward leaving space in the pockets which left them in two minds, push forward or cover space. Credit to moon who picked it up during the game and switched to a back 3 to counter it, but it is a little worrying that Moon is not picking it up pregame and setting up the team appropriately. It has happened twice now where he has been entirely reactive, better teams will take full advantage of it and bang in a couple before the changes are made. 

Both hingert and brown have looked very good in one game (Vic for hingert City for brown) and poor in the other. I think it is premature to call them to be benched. particularly when it has been tactical errors that have made them struggle. 

Apart from his very nice pass for DWH's goal SMac was the real poor player of the game for me. he was quite lazy defensively, not helping on the presses, which allowed NJ's centre backs to move forward with the ball (which further isolated hingert and brown as DWH and Danzaki who would usually cut off the fullbacks had to close down the CB's) Smac was also very wasteful with the ball having it taken away from him way too often. 
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Waz - 20 Jan 2021 11:19 PM

Very simple mistake for that conceded corner - the defender attacked the line of flight of the ball instead of attacking the ball. A bit lazy but otherwise good tonight. 

Gillesphey was huge, MOTM imo 

Yes, I'm sure both Gillesphey and Aldred felt right at home the way the game was played. I was surprised at how far up the pitch NTS was for most of the second half. Good insight regarding the goal, easily done, easily corrected.
All round good effort from the boys. Their work rate was good. Whilst Masato hardly touched the ball, he did a lot of running the few minutes he was on the pitch. Good signs in the game for us.
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

Golgol mebrahtu has signed. Not really sure why though unless he has dramatically improved while he was away. We are already stacked with squad level attacking players, so unless he is outstanding why bring in another.
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur

sirhcdobo - 22 Jan 2021 4:49 PM
Golgol mebrahtu has signed. Not really sure why though unless he has dramatically improved while he was away. We are already stacked with squad level attacking players, so unless he is outstanding why bring in another.

also what is the go with George Mells? Has something happened to him and the club doing him a favour by keeping him around? he hasnt played a game in 3 or 4 years. i dont think i have seen him in a matchday squad.
Waz
Waz
Legend

Honestly think this is a good signing - if only because Ingham has been Jack average so far 
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

sirhcdobo - 22 Jan 2021 4:56 PM

also what is the go with George Mells? Has something happened to him and the club doing him a favour by keeping him around? he hasnt played a game in 3 or 4 years. i dont think i have seen him in a matchday squad.

Yes that one has amazed me too. I have only ever sen him in a preseason intra club game when Robbie first arrived ...never since .
Why is he still at the club if he is never played or even in a squad ?

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

miron mercedes - 24 Jan 2021 3:59 PM
sirhcdobo - 22 Jan 2021 4:56 PM

Yes that one has amazed me too. I have only ever sen him in a preseason intra club game when Robbie first arrived ...never since .
Why is he still at the club if he is never played or even in a squad ?

Not ambitious enough.
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

Yes I'm wondering why he has been signed as well. Tho I do think he would probably offer something different to Ingham. 
It appears to me that Ingham, Champness and Mebrahtu kind of all offer similar options. 
Keep one or even two but not the three. 
Put the cash somewhere else or in the bank and wait for a real quality player to pop up otherwise reasonably happy with what I'm seeing. 
Daley could very well strike up a starting spot if he hadn't already. 
Waz
Waz
Legend

Jimo8 - 24 Jan 2021 4:59 PM

Yes I'm wondering why he has been signed as well. Tho I do think he would probably offer something different to Ingham. 
It appears to me that Ingham, Champness and Mebrahtu kind of all offer similar options. 
Put the cash somewhere else or in the bank and wait for a real quality player to pop up otherwise reasonably happy with what I'm seeing. 

Waiting for a real quality player to pop up is fine, but presumably this signing fits within the cap and/or salary budget whereas a “real quality player” may not. 

sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur

Waz - 25 Jan 2021 12:26 PM

Waiting for a real quality player to pop up is fine, but presumably this signing fits within the cap and/or salary budget whereas a “real quality player” may not. 

but why a squad level attacking player when we are short in other positions?
for the front 3/4 we have: Smac, danzaki, DWH, kudo, champness, Ingham, Parsons 
with Joshea and akbari able to play in the AM spot as well. GolGol probably sits above Champness in the pecking order but doesnt really put much pressure on the starting 3/4, and if Moon thought Ingham/parsons are not really up to that level and needs to bring someone in why let a promising player like Muratovic go who would presumably be cheaper than 30 year old golgol and has come through Brisbane's system. 

if you are looking at squad level players we are short in the CD position with Trewin the only recognised CD after Aldred and Gilesphie (JCP can play there though)
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Recognition that Champness is struggling and Ingham doesn't provide the push we need on the flanks.  
Edited
3 Years Ago by CS
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro

Next week's game brings M Toure against our CD pairing. Shall be an interesting contest and good to see where the youngster fits in the strikers role.
Waz
Waz
Legend

Footballking55 - 25 Jan 2021 4:56 PM
Next week's game brings M Toure against our CD pairing. Shall be an interesting contest and good to see where the youngster fits in the strikers role.

It’s the full backs I’m worried about - both brown and hingert struggle with pace 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search