The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

Author
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Captain Haddock - 23 Mar 2020 2:02 PM
I'm not against the LNP giving out stimulus packages, but it needs to be carefully regulated instead of just splashing out $900 into people's accounts like "There you go- spend!". I'd advocate issuing a type of card (like the cashless welfare card) and these cards have x amount of dollars loaded on them but ONLY work for Australian businesses. For online purchases there could be a code number to enter like the security code on your credit card. But they need to make it so people can't (for instance) get $1k then spend it all on US goods on Amazon or buy $1k of stuff from China. The money has to be re-invested directly into the Australian economy.

Splashing money in people's accounts did what it was meant to do though, just like this stimulus will do.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 23 Mar 2020 4:07 PM
Captain Haddock - 23 Mar 2020 2:02 PM

Splashing money in people's accounts did what it was meant to do though, just like this stimulus will do.

-PB

But what's the point of the Australian government giving people money if virtually none of it goes back into the hands of Australian businesses? 

Because right now it's the hospitality and tourism/ travel industries hardest hit. If the stimulus package is spent with the intention of helping Australian businesses like these then it makes sense to ensure that's where the money goes back to. 

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 23 Mar 2020 4:45 PM

But what's the point of the Australian government giving people money if virtually none of it goes back into the hands of Australian businesses? 

Because right now it's the hospitality and tourism/ travel industries hardest hit. If the stimulus package is spent with the intention of helping Australian businesses like these then it makes sense to ensure that's where the money goes back to. 

good point......
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and current Gov should have taken into account how the previous one being such a mess.
Some boundaries making sure whatever any of us recieve is spent on business's based here to support the "locals" in these challenging times.
I don't think tourism/travel industries would get much forward business under the circumstances but the local shops/malls and surrounding small business's sure could do with us supporting them.

Love Football

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

I was thinking earlier about how the Nurburgring (the infamous 22km racing circuit in Germany) was a government funded construction project to employ people during the economic downturn in the early 1920's.

Likewise, if the federal government wants to help Australian citizens get back on their feet ASAP, they should look to funding key infrastructure projects that would require large-scale employment for people who are out of work. The long-planned Brisbane to Melbourne freight railway corridor is just one project that comes to mind, and I'm sure there's a number of others across the country that would be perfect candidates for this. Once the Brisbane- Melbourne rail corridor was completed (as an example) the freight companies could pay a form of 'toll' to use the route which would go back to the government in similar fashion to the Harbour Bridge.

Thoughts?

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 24 Mar 2020 10:52 AM
I was thinking earlier about how the Nurburgring (the infamous 22km racing circuit in Germany) was a government funded construction project to employ people during the economic downturn in the early 1920's.

Likewise, if the federal government wants to help Australian citizens get back on their feet ASAP, they should look to funding key infrastructure projects that would require large-scale employment for people who are out of work. The long-planned Brisbane to Melbourne freight railway corridor is just one project that comes to mind, and I'm sure there's a number of others across the country that would be perfect candidates for this. Once the Brisbane- Melbourne rail corridor was completed (as an example) the freight companies could pay a form of 'toll' to use the route which would go back to the government in similar fashion to the Harbour Bridge.

Thoughts?

Definitely. We need major infrastructure projects to employ a ton of people to ride this out. 

Also agree with the buy Australian point, I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not sure how it can work in practice.
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

I can tell you now, any benefits I get, will just go to making sure the pantry and fridge is full, and my mortgage and car loan stays getting paid.

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

NicCarBel - 24 Mar 2020 2:00 PM

I can tell you now, any benefits I get, will just go to making sure the pantry and fridge is full, and my mortgage and car loan stays getting paid.

If your mortgage, car loan and grocery items support Australian businesses then fantastic.

As for me...I would probably go to Cairns for the winter, finally check out the Kuranda Sky Rail and the GBR as well.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 24 Mar 2020 3:05 PM

If your mortgage, car loan and grocery items support Australian businesses then fantastic.

As for me...I would probably go to Cairns for the winter, finally check out the Kuranda Sky Rail and the GBR as well.

Hit up Atherton and go to Gallo. I go up whenever I visit the fam a few times a year, just gorge myself silly.

-PB

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Palaszczuk says no.

Member since 2008.

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

Munrubenmuz - 24 Mar 2020 6:45 PM

Palaszczuk says no.

Well not right now- but soon enough.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyvU9oMs5Q

-PB

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Looks like gov fucked up big time committing $200+ billion and years/decades of debt to something that lasted about a month.  

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

rusty - 6 May 2020 6:04 PM
Looks like gov fucked up big time committing $200+ billion and years/decades of debt to something that lasted about a month.  

Don’t know about that. The health issues might have a second wave and the economic impact will last for some time.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Member since 2008.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Munrubenmuz - 6 May 2020 9:02 PM

Just like Y2K, so many morons think that because nothing (actually very little) happened it was blown out of proportion. The truth is that the risks were assessed, plans were put in place and followed through so that there weren't any catastrophes.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

No the government didn't think this through.  The early modelling was that 60-80% of the population was going to get infected, and that the social distancing/lockdown measures were only going to slow the infection rate, not stop it.  So in the early days when everyone was wetting the bed and the government panicked and made its panicked based announcements, it predicted the current isolation policies lasting for AT LEAST six months.  Then within about two weeks it was clear that countries like Taiwan, SK and HK can essentially eradicate the virus while returning the economy to mostly normal capacity.  The government made its decisions based on forecasting at least six months of iso which has now been exposed as a gross overreaction and will saddle us with massive debts and interest for probably decades, and inhibit our ability to respond to future, potentially worse economic shocks.  There’s also the hamfisted delivery of payments like Jobkeeper which employers will no doubt exploit and millions of jobseekers who will take a six month holiday realising they can earn the same amount of money playing COD at home rather than working a full time job they hate.  And the businesses who will need the stimulus the most; pubs, clubs, cinemas, gyms etc will receive the same support as businesses who have already returned to work.  Does anyone really think it necessary to double jobseeker, particular for those long term unemployed who must be relishing the pandemic? The gov committed too much for too long and while its all cruisey now wait for the debt sandwich to bite and then we will realise how badly they fucked up.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Yep totally. Glad coronavirus is over though.

🙄🙄🙄

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

mcjules - 7 May 2020 10:44 AM
Munrubenmuz - 6 May 2020 9:02 PM

Just like Y2K, so many morons think that because nothing (actually very little) happened it was blown out of proportion. The truth is that the risks were assessed, plans were put in place and followed through so that there weren't any catastrophes.

By and large the federal government and all of the states have handled this pretty well (Ruby Princess aside).

Rusty is once again parroting the standard conservative narrative that is emerging in Australia through the likes of Andrew "captain hindsight" Bolt. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 7 May 2020 1:39 PM
mcjules - 7 May 2020 10:44 AM

By and large the federal government and all of the states have handled this pretty well (Ruby Princess aside).

Rusty is once again parroting the standard conservative narrative that is emerging in Australia through the likes of Andrew "captain hindsight" Bolt. 

Yep, you know how much I despise the Liberal party but the measures in place have clearly worked so can't fault them on that. I'm a bit cynical having heard some stories about the Job Keeper and some of the stimulus policies but it will come out in time.

rusty
rusty
World Class

To put it in to perspective Nz has committed about $12 billion to the economy to combat Coronavirus, while Australia has committed nearly $200 billion.  We only have 5x the population. 🤢. Not that dullards like mcjules care, but then again most lefties cant even count the fingers on their hands, so doesnt suprise me that they would struggle to comprehend more advance economic/fiscal calculations.  Deerrrrr more money = good, less money = bad derrrrr.
Edited
4 Years Ago by rusty
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

rusty - 7 May 2020 2:52 PM
To put it in to perspective Nz has committed about $12 billion to the economy to combat Coronavirus, while Australia has committed nearly $200 billion.  We only have 5x the population. 🤢. Not that dullards like mcjules care, but then again most lefties cant even count the fingers on their hands, so doesnt suprise me that they would struggle to comprehend more advance economic/fiscal calculations.  Deerrrrr more money = good, less money = bad derrrrr.

Sok, you're elbow grease can pay back the debt.

-PB

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

lol @ "advanced economic calculations"

All you've done is compare Australia's economic response to that of New Zealand SO FAR. 

But judging from your previous comments you seem to think COVID-19 is behind us now which makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Muz
Muz
Legend

mcjules - 7 May 2020 2:18 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 7 May 2020 1:39 PM

Yep, you know how much I despise the Liberal party but the measures in place have clearly worked so can't fault them on that. I'm a bit cynical having heard some stories about the Job Keeper and some of the stimulus policies but it will come out in time.

Scomo can thank Gladys and Andrews for giving him the kick up the arse he needed early on which forced him to pull his finger out.  Since then he's been barely visible and let the experts do the talking.  (As it should be.)

Greg Hunt has been excellent.

Member since 2008.

rusty
rusty
World Class

sydneyfc1987 - 7 May 2020 6:41 PM

lol @ "advanced economic calculations"

All you've done is compare Australia's economic response to that of New Zealand SO FAR. 

But judging from your previous comments you seem to think COVID-19 is behind us now which makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

Well its a pretty damn good comparison dont you think?  As for as comparisons go its the gold standard.

NZ is pursuing an elimination strategy, zero cases in the last few days.  Are you laughing and crying idiot?

Muz
Muz
Legend

https://www.csis.org/analysis/breaking-down-g20-covid-19-fiscal-response

Member since 2008.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

Munrubenmuz - 7 May 2020 7:24 PM
mcjules - 7 May 2020 2:18 PM

Scomo can thank Gladys and Andrews for giving him the kick up the arse he needed early on which forced him to pull his finger out.  Since then he's been barely visible and let the experts do the talking.  (As it should be.)

Greg Hunt has been excellent.
Agreed. I wish they'd taken the same approach with this Covidsafe app and actually put experts in front of people like they've done with the health side of things. Few people trust the Federal government with privacy, they've eroded it for far too long.

On the stories starting to come out re: Job Keeper https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-07/coronavirus-can-employers-demand-more-hours-employees-jobkeeper/12215232
This sort of thing is the scheme working as they designed it to. Really it should have been simple:
1. employer declares they revenue is going to drop the required amount for their business size
2. employer confirms who is on the payroll
3. ATO start paying money into employer's tax account immediately

From there the ATO could sample a set of businesses to check compliance but most of it can be confirmed at the next BAS submission/financial year. Anyone ineligible is forced to pay it back.

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

I recall the federal government making the early calls to protect us from the virus amongst the ridiculous background cries of racism. And now they are leading the way to get business' and jobs going again. In both cases leaving some the states well behind in their wake.

Some of the comments I read from posters are laughable and embarrassing.

In a resort somewhere

Muz
Muz
Legend

paulc - 8 May 2020 11:33 AM

I recall the federal government making the early calls to protect us from the virus amongst the ridiculous background cries of racism. And now they are leading the way to get business' and jobs going again. In both cases leaving some the states well behind in their wake.

Some of the comments I read from posters are laughable and embarrassing.

😆

Member since 2008.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

The states have led the way almost everything, Scomo has done the right thing after a shaky start by allowing the health experts to take the lead. As for the response, you cannot compare us to New Zealand at all, there are more factors than just population. The Jobkeeper has started roughly and that is to be expected with policy on the run. The Jobseeker on the other hand is bullshit, that should've only been doubled for those who have proven the are on it because of Covid-19. My sister who has worked 6 months in 30 years was earning more than my wife and I who have both been working since we were 15 (20 years ago) simply because she benefitted by a doubling of her benefits for no reason meanwhile we lost the vast majority of our work. Thankfully jobkeeper kicked in and now both our jobs are getting a bit of work again.

rusty
rusty
World Class

Looks like the gov is heeding my advice and considering winding back or slashing the Jobkeeper scheme.  Next in the firing line will be Jobseeker.   Mcjules and his comrades must get tired of being wrong all the time.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search