The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

Author
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
sokorny - 4 Dec 2017 12:31 PM
BETHFC - 4 Dec 2017 12:06 PM

Makes me wonder sometimes if some of these people are not extensions of an internet troll. That is, are doing their thing to cause a stir for shits and giggles. Let's face it, it's pretty easy to troll both sides of the political spectrum and hundreds of people do it everyday on the net ... so isn't that far of a stretch to think people would do it in a more visual and public forum.

There was recently a circumstance where a group, Project Verita who are set up primarily to "trick" media, tried to trick the Washington Post into publishing a story about an sexual assault case against a senator. The Post however found that the "victim" was actually an actor for this Project Verita group. This group does it for a bit more sinister reasons than simple trolling though, they are trying to discredit media by setting them up to report false allegations / news, with the goal of then being able to discredit their other work (in this case trying to dismiss the other allegations against this senator). They should have targeted Sunrise, or ACA ... much easier targets!

But as you can see it wouldn't be too far fetched if it came out Milo (or some others of his elk) were simply portraying a character .. .in effect Ali G and Borat managed to do it for many years, even with the show being televised and shown as a parody / satire.

You're not wrong. I could see Milo being that kind of person given his flamboyant character.

There are a few people at the site infowars who as far as I know actually post fake right wing news to troll the other side.  

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

sub007 - 4 Dec 2017 11:50 AM

BLM protests often became violent..... I don't discredit movements to address inequality of African Americans in the USA at all, just BLM started off that way and then became far more than just a rights movement. If you're upset about inequitable treatment from police, violence in rioting isn't really going to change many minds....

In Australia it may be a very small minority but he does make international news. Remember the reaction to his invitation to speak at Berkeley in California? Trying to stop him speaking only inflates his free speech rhetoric. 

I have absolutely no love for the man, I actually googled some of the stuff he says about women and its pretty retarded. It diminishes anything even remotely constructive when taking on the feminist movement in the USA. I do however enjoy seeing people get riled up by him, it's hilarious. 

SOME BLM protests but not all become violent. No one condones the violence but I understand their frustration. 

Your second point is exactly what I was trying to say. He gets more coverage when he gets banned and also wins more support  from the right.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

sub007 - 4 Dec 2017 1:53 PM

SOME BLM protests but not all become violent. No one condones the violence but I understand their frustration. 

Your second point is exactly what I was trying to say. He gets more coverage when he gets banned and also wins more support  from the right.

Frustration is irrelevant i'm afraid and violence is violence. Looting and rioting because you're frustrated will result in more criticism and targeting not less..... 

He does yes, but everyone seems to link the right straight to ne-Nazi's which is hilarious. I mean we know the culturally and morally superior left think anyone who disagrees with them is a Nazi but still, its a stretch. 

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I thinking banning people from coming to Australia to speak publicly is a really bad idea. Recently a high high-profile anti-vaxxer was denied a visa. Despite my view that anti-vaxxers are to blame for the deaths of innocent, young children, I'm not sure censoring this individual was the best course of action. Its better to let them speak so the their views can be confronted and challenged with educated, rational rebuttals.

Pushing something underground tends to antagonise people, fostering more hardline views, whereas previously they may have been privy to other perspectives if convincing counter arguments are presented. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Surprise surprise, the 'tolerant' side of the political spectrum have come out and violently tried to stop Milo speaking. Clashing with police and people attending the event.

I'm sure Vicpol were ok with it, shit loads of overtime for trying to stop ferals fighting each other haha. 

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Beware: leftists have a justification for going around punching and spitting on consrvatives. It’s called the ‘paradox of tolerance’ which they rationalise as protecting minorities , but really it’s just an excuse to go around assaulting people who disagree with them. Anyone can find any reason to juistfy anything, violent left wing extremists no different.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

sub007 - 3 Dec 2017 9:31 PM
rusty - 3 Dec 2017 9:51 AM

He is not a God. He defended pedo's ffs.

That's not true at all!

here are his real comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZsbpvhn5Q

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

sub007 - 4 Dec 2017 12:15 AM
rusty - 3 Dec 2017 11:44 PM

It makes him a racist and sexist. He also has links to neo-nazi groups which would make him a white nationalist.

He married an African American. He is also half Jewish.

Obviously, he is a pretty piss poor racist and neo nazi.

Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 6 Dec 2017 6:30 PM
sub007 - 4 Dec 2017 12:15 AM

He married an African American. He is also half Jewish.

Obviously, he is a pretty piss poor racist and neo nazi.

So these comments are not racist?

https://www.welcometocountry.org/milo-yiannopoulos-aboriginal-culture-racists/

sub007
sub007
World Class

mouflonrouge - 6 Dec 2017 6:28 PM
sub007 - 3 Dec 2017 9:31 PM

That's not true at all!

here are his real comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZsbpvhn5Q

He said the guy who molested him was a good priest.
He also said "molestation is perfectly consensual". Tell me how that isn't defending paedophilia. 
u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

sub007 - 6 Dec 2017 7:02 PM

Did he hurt your feelings? Its not white people's fault that A) Aboriginal art is total fucking garbage, and B) Aborigines couldn't invent the wheel.

Western culture is superior to all other cultures and if you are upset by this then you can go and eat a giant bag of dicks. Its really that simple.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

No, these comments are not racist. Just factual.

You need to denigrate a race of people in order to be racist. Saying that Western culture is or was more dynamic to other cultures is not racist if it is based on truth.

Ergo, you don't water down truth, bend it, or even tell lies in order to portray something that has no foundation on truth. The Aboriginal Culture was never at the same level to European Civilization no matter how you cut it, and saying so isn't a racist comment because it is TRUE! I have no intention of disrespecting Aboriginal Culture in saying that and love them as equals to everyone else and I respect their language and culture as well as their connection to Australia and nature.

Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

How is it that SSM has passed parliament? I thought the plebiscite was non binding?

Kudos Turnbull and the LNP for finding a way, when Labor and the Greens stuttered and stumbled for years
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

u4486662 - 6 Dec 2017 10:06 PM

Did he hurt your feelings? Its not white people's fault that A) Aboriginal art is total fucking garbage, and B) Aborigines couldn't invent the wheel.

Western culture is superior to all other cultures and if you are upset by this then you can go and eat a giant bag of dicks. Its really that simple.

A: Yes their art is just a bunch of polka dots being applied all over the place

B: again thats true

But they are definitely skilled at living off the land. when the end of the world comes, we would need those skills, otherwise we are stuffed and it'll be the Aboriginies who will live on.
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

HeyItsRobbie - 7 Dec 2017 7:48 PM

A: Yes their art is just a bunch of polka dots being applied all over the place

B: again thats true

But they are definitely skilled at living off the land. when the end of the world comes, we would need those skills, otherwise we are stuffed and it'll be the Aboriginies who will live on.

feeding on the cockroaches? 
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

Enzo Bearzot - 7 Dec 2017 8:38 PM
HeyItsRobbie - 7 Dec 2017 7:48 PM

feeding on the cockroaches? 

and grubs and shit.
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Learnt about wheels as a tech last time I heard this bullshit. It's actually very interesting, was developed much more recently than people think and was definitely not invented by the people of the British isles.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

No, its not that simple at all. Western culture, philosophy and technological advancements were possible due to interactions with a myriad of civilisations over the course of several thousand years. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

rusty
rusty
World Class

Looks like the knives are out for Turnbull, Abbott and the LNP this morning, following their successful SSM policy. Can you imagine if Shorten and Labor has suggested the plebiscite, the gay community would probably hold a ticker tape parade and erect a statue in his honour.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

As someone whom in normal life attempts to live one windup at a time, I freaking love watching Milo do his thing. He openly admits he is hated by the right and hated by the left and that's exactly where he wants to be, and I applaud him for that. I loved his interview with Channel 10 when Jessica Rowe couldn't actually debate anything of significance/relevance, and what I loved most about it is that there are people in existence whom watched that and don't think Rowe was absolutely destroyed in debate, which just further feeds Milo for future. Milo's "stats" of people whom believe there is gender inequality vs people whom identify as feminist is overwhelmingly and surprisingly massive in gap between the two, and it's hard to argue against a large amount of his points on the subject when you keep that in mind. I will happily grab my bowl of cereal and watch on for the years to come of the Milo show, it is just so damn fascinating. I like to think I attempt to live life pointing out hypocrisy in my own but also everyone elses lives, and Milo in his entirety is about that. Far out, what a time to be alive. 

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

I remember when you were a measured, deep thinking, nuanced thinker on these pages.  What the bloody hell has happened to you?  You've dead set lost the plot of late.

Ranting about Hilary, siding with MRA activists, denigrating other cultures, defending white supremacists?!  WTF?

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 7 Dec 2017 11:11 PM

No, its not that simple at all. Western culture, philosophy and technological advancements were possible due to interactions with a myriad of civilisations over the course of several thousand years. 

Excellent point.  Anyone who has read the Pulitzer prize winning book by Jared Diamond 'Guns, germs and steel' will understand simplistic statements like U44's are the refuge of uneducated ignoramus' or wilfully ignorant shit-stirrers.

For a doctor you'd expect better. 

Member since 2008.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

pv4 - 8 Dec 2017 8:58 AM
As someone whom in normal life attempts to live one windup at a time, I freaking love watching Milo do his thing. He openly admits he is hated by the right and hated by the left and that's exactly where he wants to be, and I applaud him for that. I loved his interview with Channel 10 when Jessica Rowe couldn't actually debate anything of significance/relevance, and what I loved most about it is that there are people in existence whom watched that and don't think Rowe was absolutely destroyed in debate, which just further feeds Milo for future. Milo's "stats" of people whom believe there is gender inequality vs people whom identify as feminist is overwhelmingly and surprisingly massive in gap between the two, and it's hard to argue against a large amount of his points on the subject when you keep that in mind. I will happily grab my bowl of cereal and watch on for the years to come of the Milo show, it is just so damn fascinating. I like to think I attempt to live life pointing out hypocrisy in my own but also everyone elses lives, and Milo in his entirety is about that. Far out, what a time to be alive. 

I find that his points are very targeted and find him to be a shock jock rather than a genuine political commentator. 

What I do love is how his appearance brings out the true colours of the 'tolerant' side of politics who will fight tooth and nail for the rights of anyone but straight white people and then have the ignorance to stop a man from talking because he appeals to the right. 

I also saw that Vicpol intends to bill him for having to provide police support. I disagree with this as it would set a precedent for all controversial public speakers. If it succeeds, all the ANTIFA criminals would have to do would be what they always do and show up and cause violence. This shitstorm over Milo has shown just how ugly Australia can be, disappointing given the success of the SSM bill. 

Jong Gabe
Jong Gabe
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

BETHFC - 8 Dec 2017 9:08 AM

I find that his points are very targeted and find him to be a shock jock rather than a genuine political commentator. 

What I do love is how his appearance brings out the true colours of the 'tolerant' side of politics who will fight tooth and nail for the rights of anyone but straight white people and then have the ignorance to stop a man from talking because he appeals to the right. 

I also saw that Vicpol intends to bill him for having to provide police support. I disagree with this as it would set a precedent for all controversial public speakers. If it succeeds, all the ANTIFA criminals would have to do would be what they always do and show up and cause violence. This shitstorm over Milo has shown just how ugly Australia can be, disappointing given the success of the SSM bill. 

Yes, straight white people need the most support.

E

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I read that was happening too. But wherever I read it said it's standard practice to bill this kind of thing direct to the person, so it sounds as if the precedent is already set well before Milo. I didn't investiage any further though.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

pv4 - 8 Dec 2017 10:14 AM

I read that was happening too. But wherever I read it said it's standard practice to bill this kind of thing direct to the person, so it sounds as if the precedent is already set well before Milo. I didn't investiage any further though.

I thought that related to sports events and the like and not so much political speakers?

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

BETHFC - 8 Dec 2017 10:27 AM
pv4 - 8 Dec 2017 10:14 AM

I thought that related to sports events and the like and not so much political speakers?

I'd imagine it would cover hosting an event (irrelevant if sport or otherwise)

Edited
7 Years Ago by sokorny
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

rusty - 8 Dec 2017 8:24 AM
Looks like the knives are out for Turnbull, Abbott and the LNP this morning, following their successful SSM policy. Can you imagine if Shorten and Labor has suggested the plebiscite, the gay community would probably hold a ticker tape parade and erect a statue in his honour.

It was encouraging to see that none of the proposed "concessions" were accepted by either house of parliament. I think we should be looking to celebrate that a discriminatory law has now been removed, rather than trying to "bait" people (yes the 'dickhead-radar' is well and truly locked onto you rusty ... nowadays we are a bit more PC though and call those comments trolling ... I still prefer dickhead!).

Edited
7 Years Ago by sokorny
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

sokorny - 8 Dec 2017 11:50 AM
rusty - 8 Dec 2017 8:24 AM

It was encouraging to see that none of the proposed "concessions" were accepted by either house of parliament. I think we should be looking to celebrate that a discriminatory law has now been removed, rather than trying to "bait" people (yes the 'dickhead-radar' is well and truly locked onto you rusty ... nowadays we are a bit more PC though and call those comments trolling ... I still prefer dickhead!).

We are far more PC these days look at the Milo protests in the PC capital of Australia (Melbourne).

I think most people concerned about the law outside of religious fundamentalists and dickhead homophobes were only ever concerned about protecting certain institutions like churches. 

pv4
pv4
Legend

sokorny - 8 Dec 2017 11:46 AM
BETHFC - 8 Dec 2017 10:27 AM

I'd imagine it would cover hosting an event (irrelevant if sport or otherwise)

If anyone does have the answer for BETH and I, I'm very interested. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search