Coaching courses and badges.

Coaching courses and badges.

Author
krisskrash
Hacker
Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The one thing I'm confused about is why does the FFV schedule C license course dates on a Saturday. Majority of games at least senior men's games anyway are played on Saturdays. Rules me out of doing the course as I'll be coaching.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
krisskrash wrote:
The one thing I'm confused about is why does the FFV schedule C license course dates on a Saturday. Majority of games at least senior men's games anyway are played on Saturdays. Rules me out of doing the course as I'll be coaching.

They did ours in the off season. Initially, it was supposed to be October and November, but it ended up being late November to early March.

Missed out on a lot of social occasions and cricket watching.:cry:
krisskrash
krisskrash
Hacker
Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)Hacker (490 reputation)

Draupnir wrote:
krisskrash wrote:
Did the Senior License courses earlier this year. Wasn't that happy with it, got a little bit of advice on my communication but that's about it in terms of what I feel I got out of it. Plus I'm still waiting on the FFV to send me certificates and paper work and that's about 4 months down the track.

Would be quite interested in the AFC C license and taking part in a KNVB course, so this thread is great.

Hey krisskrash, thanks for the input. I have enrolled into both the senior certificates and license courses. They start in about 6 weeks. I am not exactly sure what to expect from them but I will post my opinions about them afterwards.

How would you describe the assessment task for the senior license? I am a little nervous about it (slightly shy!).

At the moment for this thread I am working with information from with English FA and the UEFA courses. Ironically the UEFA B residential course is cheaper and longer than the FFA C license.

No problems, I wasn't a huge fan of the certificates. You basically just work through the drills in the handbooks given, you'll end up running other people in the group through these drills. The most useful part I found was the advice given on how I was talking to people and communicating with the group.

In terms of the assessment you'll be fine. Just take on board the advice given during the certificate session from the presenter, and be loud and assertive with your instructions.

They want the training sessions you run to answer these question.

Does it look like football? (So it must be game based, not shooting drills with people lined up etc.)

Are the players engaged in the drill quickly? (So you can't stand around and talk forever, you've got two minutes to say your instructions and have them partaking in the drill.)

Do the players respond in a positive manner? (So are they all actively involved and getting something out of it.)

Can you modify the drill in a productive manner to help achieve your outcome? (Eg- if it's a possession drill and the players are turning the ball over too quickly, how can you modify it to help the players retain possesion (make the area bigger, give one team an extra player etc))

The one thing I didn't like was the instructors were not a big fan of ideas that weren't going along with the curriculum.

One example would be that I'm not a huge fan of ball work for a warm-up (for senior men, I think juniors are a different story), I find two things can happen my players either wouldn't take it seriously and end up not warm, plus wouldn't do their dynamic stretches when off the ball. Or they'd go too hard and end up straining something during the warmup.

My preferred option is 4 laps around the pitch as a team (works on every together as a unit, plus I nominate a different player each session to build up a sense of leadership), with dynamic stretches in between jogging, sprinting and jumping has the players warm, stretched and ready to begin ball work at a good level of intensity.

I know it's not FFA approved but it's what I find works with my group of players and achieves the results I need in terms of warming them up. So I had a bit of an argument with the instructor about warm ups.
nffc2
nffc2
Under 7s
Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)

Andy Jackson wrote:
Hey Guys - if you're referring to my article in the new mag - it's not a new curriculum. It's a expanded second version of the existing curriculum - I tried to make the clear in my piece.

All the building blocks are unchanged - there is just much more detail and model sessions for each phase.

Cheers
Andy

Sorry Andy, you are correct. I shouldn't have written 'new curriculum' I should say expanded curriculum. I can't wait to get my hands on it so if any of you know how to get a hold of it (if it has been approved as yet) and/or the Football Coaching Process + FFA coaching expertise model please let me know.
Andy Jackson
Andy Jackson
Hacker
Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)Hacker (312 reputation)

hi mate

I don't believe anyone has it as yet - we were working through it as a beta test - testing all the model sessions during the week...as far as I know the release time was being slated for 2 months after this. I'll speak to FFA for an update.

Cheers

Andy
tjwhalan
tjwhalan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Decentric wrote:
dirkvanadidas wrote:
Decentric wrote:
possessionfootball wrote:
I have passed the Advanced B and Advanced A Licence.

Some comments relating to it been directed at Seniors is incorrect. To pass an A Licence practical you need to use guided discovery, this method is very well suited to all ages. This means you have to study every little detail within your session objective. Once you have all this information you can use from 9s to Seniors because the information is the technical details and the tactical details. Once you have the technical details you can create smaller games or technical sessions for younger players.

Edited by possessionfootball: 13/3/2013 07:38:49 PM

Guided Discovery is also used in the FFA C Licence and the FFA SAP course.

Roughly it equates to a heuristic or constructivist approach in contempoary teaching methodology.

That is where students discover for themselves. This is the opposite to a didactic mode of instruction, where students are told how to do something.

In our KNVB course, there was considerable onus setting up the correct games, SSGs, with width and depth. The rationale was that the game would be the teacher. Would you agree, mate?

After observing many sessions taken by our head Skills Acquisition Program instructor, he provided many scenarios where he asked players to provide a solution to a problem they were encountering in a particular session. I could see he was creating thinking players by intervening.

I am now coaching some of his former prodigies. They have phenomenal game sense compared to other players who have not had access to the SAP. I knew this was a weakness in my coaching about 8 months ago and desperately wanted to do something about it. What I didn't know, was what specifically this weakness was, in terms of specific football terminology.

After doing the C Licence and the SAP course, I know these terms are player actions and coaching cues. These should be provided by the coach. This has greatly improved my coaching. I have improved immeasurably just over the last three weeks, becoming more familiar with these concepts and observing some top coaches using them on the training track.

This should not be mistaken that I consider the FFA C Licence to be superior to the KNVB Youth Certificate. What the C Licence did, was really go into depth in a four stage coaching pro forma/module and augment pre-existing knowledge.

I still think the KNVB Youth Certificate was decidedly superior in providing a broad methodology about what to coach at which ages. It also provided better instruction on how to set up a team in a defensive structure, how to set up teams in a 1-4-3-3 and how to analyse games from a defensive perspective.

it also provided kinaesthetic structures as an excellent precursor to what the FFA C Licence termed Words and Pictures.

I believe FFA considered that all coaches participating in C Licence courses have a thorough background in imparting technique and setting up the 1-4-3-3. They don't. The KNVB and FFA Skills Acquisition course provide a very important background for the FFA C Licence.

I believe the FFA SAP 2 day course was almost as useful as the 13 day C Licence, from my perspective of already having completed the KNVB Youth Certificate before studying the two FFA courses.

I suggest the FFA SAP 2 day course should be compulsory for all coaches, regardless of which age group coaches coach. It really was an excellent course from just two days instruction. I'd call SAP Coerver with game sense.

When SAP really consolidates, we should be a pretty good football nation after 10 years implementation. One small concern I have, in all the FFA coaches I've met and been under the tutelage of in clinics/courses, other than Norm Boardman, and to a lesser extent our local SAP trainer, nobody within FFA alludes to minimum numbers of touches in training sessions.

At any level 600 is considered a minimum.

In CFP, club and rep teams I take, we have never been under 660 touches per session. No other session from other coaches I've seen, comes anywhere near these figures. Arsene Wenger likes 1000 touches minimum, which in 90 minutes, I sometimes struggle to reach.

Edited by Decentric: 20/3/2013 06:15:01 PM

always remember
"A touch is a touch, even a bad one" - Bert-Jan Heijmans - The dutchUK football school

I am not at liberty to disclose who said what, but some FFA big wigs think of "quality touches".

In one of my last sessions, the assistant coach had counted 490 touches at the 10 minute mark. There were 630 at the end of Warm Up, or Passing Practice as FFA would term it. The KNVB call it the technique phase to work on the weakness identified from the game.

These touches in the Warm Up are done with no pressure from other players.

The 'quality touches' can be seen in the following:

In Positioning Games, Game Training and Training Games, the same player accrued a further 174 touches to make a total of 804.

The 174 touches were achieved against opposition in Positioning Games - Player In Soups, 4v1 and 5v2 from Dirk's Academy Sessions the sticky at the top of this page.

Then Game Training ( 7v7 the defence and midfield against the attack and midfield with keepers). KNVB uses 7v7 with keepers in this phase, but always with strict allocated positions that replicate the formation of the team in games.

Then Training Game 8v8 including keepers.

I feel that most of the C Licence trained coaches were still unaware of the mandatory 600 touches at the end of the course. However, if they had been at the Skills Acquisition Program course, they would have inadvertently made the 600 touches each training session. Only four 2013 C Licence graduates and two from last year's course were there.

Edited by Decentric: 20/3/2013 10:13:54 PM

What drills do you do in your warmup to get so many touches?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

tjwhalan wrote:
Decentric wrote:
dirkvanadidas wrote:
Decentric wrote:
possessionfootball wrote:
I have passed the Advanced B and Advanced A Licence.

Some comments relating to it been directed at Seniors is incorrect. To pass an A Licence practical you need to use guided discovery, this method is very well suited to all ages. This means you have to study every little detail within your session objective. Once you have all this information you can use from 9s to Seniors because the information is the technical details and the tactical details. Once you have the technical details you can create smaller games or technical sessions for younger players.

Edited by possessionfootball: 13/3/2013 07:38:49 PM

Guided Discovery is also used in the FFA C Licence and the FFA SAP course.

Roughly it equates to a heuristic or constructivist approach in contempoary teaching methodology.

That is where students discover for themselves. This is the opposite to a didactic mode of instruction, where students are told how to do something.

In our KNVB course, there was considerable onus setting up the correct games, SSGs, with width and depth. The rationale was that the game would be the teacher. Would you agree, mate?

After observing many sessions taken by our head Skills Acquisition Program instructor, he provided many scenarios where he asked players to provide a solution to a problem they were encountering in a particular session. I could see he was creating thinking players by intervening.

I am now coaching some of his former prodigies. They have phenomenal game sense compared to other players who have not had access to the SAP. I knew this was a weakness in my coaching about 8 months ago and desperately wanted to do something about it. What I didn't know, was what specifically this weakness was, in terms of specific football terminology.

After doing the C Licence and the SAP course, I know these terms are player actions and coaching cues. These should be provided by the coach. This has greatly improved my coaching. I have improved immeasurably just over the last three weeks, becoming more familiar with these concepts and observing some top coaches using them on the training track.

This should not be mistaken that I consider the FFA C Licence to be superior to the KNVB Youth Certificate. What the C Licence did, was really go into depth in a four stage coaching pro forma/module and augment pre-existing knowledge.

I still think the KNVB Youth Certificate was decidedly superior in providing a broad methodology about what to coach at which ages. It also provided better instruction on how to set up a team in a defensive structure, how to set up teams in a 1-4-3-3 and how to analyse games from a defensive perspective.

it also provided kinaesthetic structures as an excellent precursor to what the FFA C Licence termed Words and Pictures.

I believe FFA considered that all coaches participating in C Licence courses have a thorough background in imparting technique and setting up the 1-4-3-3. They don't. The KNVB and FFA Skills Acquisition course provide a very important background for the FFA C Licence.

I believe the FFA SAP 2 day course was almost as useful as the 13 day C Licence, from my perspective of already having completed the KNVB Youth Certificate before studying the two FFA courses.

I suggest the FFA SAP 2 day course should be compulsory for all coaches, regardless of which age group coaches coach. It really was an excellent course from just two days instruction. I'd call SAP Coerver with game sense.

When SAP really consolidates, we should be a pretty good football nation after 10 years implementation. One small concern I have, in all the FFA coaches I've met and been under the tutelage of in clinics/courses, other than Norm Boardman, and to a lesser extent our local SAP trainer, nobody within FFA alludes to minimum numbers of touches in training sessions.

At any level 600 is considered a minimum.

In CFP, club and rep teams I take, we have never been under 660 touches per session. No other session from other coaches I've seen, comes anywhere near these figures. Arsene Wenger likes 1000 touches minimum, which in 90 minutes, I sometimes struggle to reach.

Edited by Decentric: 20/3/2013 06:15:01 PM

always remember
"A touch is a touch, even a bad one" - Bert-Jan Heijmans - The dutchUK football school

I am not at liberty to disclose who said what, but some FFA big wigs think of "quality touches".

In one of my last sessions, the assistant coach had counted 490 touches at the 10 minute mark. There were 630 at the end of Warm Up, or Passing Practice as FFA would term it. The KNVB call it the technique phase to work on the weakness identified from the game.

These touches in the Warm Up are done with no pressure from other players.

The 'quality touches' can be seen in the following:

In Positioning Games, Game Training and Training Games, the same player accrued a further 174 touches to make a total of 804.

The 174 touches were achieved against opposition in Positioning Games - Player In Soups, 4v1 and 5v2 from Dirk's Academy Sessions the sticky at the top of this page.

Then Game Training ( 7v7 the defence and midfield against the attack and midfield with keepers). KNVB uses 7v7 with keepers in this phase, but always with strict allocated positions that replicate the formation of the team in games.

Then Training Game 8v8 including keepers.

I feel that most of the C Licence trained coaches were still unaware of the mandatory 600 touches at the end of the course. However, if they had been at the Skills Acquisition Program course, they would have inadvertently made the 600 touches each training session. Only four 2013 C Licence graduates and two from last year's course were there.

Edited by Decentric: 20/3/2013 10:13:54 PM

What drills do you do in your warmup to get so many touches?

Some of them I don't have videos for, but I will link you to ones where you do get a lot of touches.

I will do this over time.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

TJ Whalan, I'll start a thread on this.

That is, how to accrue high numbers of touches in a session.
Steelinho
Steelinho
Fan
Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)

Outside of the final assessment (which nobody has yet completed as it will be through video review), I've completed the B Licence. It was fairly intense.

From the C to the B Licence, there is a lot of refinement of training methods and, in some cases - particularly the conditioning cycle - you have to forget some of the stuff you were told in the C Licence course as it's replaced by alternate practices in this one.

On the last day of the course, I still found myself refining session plans (more the wording of various things, such as team tasks) that had already been submitted, so the rift of quality and refinement between the C and B Licences becomes quite apparent. The fact that we each got to conduct our GT sessions and have video reviews helped us all immensely, especially with peer assessment. It's interesting to get perspectives of your sessions (both what you have on paper and how you performed on video) and how different they probably are from your own.

Having never coached a full team before the course, things like match day timelines and other such details were initially over my head somewhat, but the detail we went into after some presentations was really useful (and slightly daunting for most at the course).

Many who went through the old courses and were handed a C Licence by default struggled with certain parts of the course, as it was basically thrown at them without warning. Conditioning and the Game Training parts were the notorious culprits, but those who discussed this and asked questions to other participants, Rob Sherman and Airton Andrioli (the state technical director) seemed to get a grasp of at least the basics by the end of the course. There were a lot of "We're so far behind," comments in the first week of the course by these people, who realised just how much has changed in terms of coaching practices.

One of the problems in going from the course to real life coaching is how much of it can actually be applied to many coaches' situations. I recently took on a team (U17) which was picked before my joining; only getting 5-7 of these players out to training means that little of what I would like to implement from these courses can actually be used (where real-life situations cannot be genuinely replicated without at least a few more players) and the sessions really become nothing more than skill development and SSG nights; something that they should theoretically have moved away from a few years ago.
Thankfully, as a coaching coordinator, I've been able to assist the other coaches with their sessions and give them advice (particularly the reserves team, where I've been able to apply a lot of things from the courses).

I've been asked to start coaching one of the STIC groups, which I started this week. They're a young group (U12s), but the healthy numbers and enthusiasm of the group means a lot of what I've picked up can finally be put into practice, even while adjusting it to that age.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Steelinho, you did very well to go so quickly from the C Licence to B Licence.=d>

Congratulations.

A coach I know won FFA amateur coach of the year in Australia a few months ago, but still didn't pass his B Licence.

He did the old C lIcence by default, when a senior Licence was converted into a C LIcence.

Nobody from our C Licence would have been deemed anyway near good enough to go straight onto the B licence.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Congratulations Steelinho!

What are your plans for moving towards to A license?
Steelinho
Steelinho
Fan
Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)

Thanks, guys. Not quite finished (that final video assessment hasn't been done by anyone on the course yet), but appreciate it.

Interesting thing about this assessment is that we have two full years to complete it, meaning you can be assessed up to three times by December 31, 2015. I have serious doubts that anybody would be leaving it that late, but I suppose it gives people ample time to find the players/team they need, if their team isn't suitable to perform all the actions required (i.e. if they're a coach of very young juniors). It's a relatively comprehensive assessment. I'll be looking for a team to use other than my own two fairly soon; one of my groups is an U12 STIC side and the other is a group of U17 girls that hardly ever show up to training, so neither are really suitable.

As for the A Licence, Draupnir, I'm a little bit up in the air. Next course won't start until mid-next year (goes in two year cycles), so I have time to think about it, if I were to go for that one.
My original intention was to go through the courses in rapid succession, meaning completing the A Licence by 2015 (the next cycle). There are one or two others from my B Licence course that also intend on doing the same, but they're currently coaching at higher levels (i.e. Adelaide United) and therefore would have a much better - as in, more readily available - support network. I could bounce ideas off them, because they've become good friends, but I want to make sure I'm suitably prepared and have everything (i.e. my own "Football Vision & Philosophy," which is actually a separate assessment for the course) prepared.

So, for now, I'm not quite sure when I'll be doing it - I definitely will at some point - but I have just over a year to work that out. I'd love to get back to the point I was at two years ago, but patience is a virtue.
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Steelinho wrote:
I'll be looking for a team to use other than my own two fairly soon; one of my groups is an U12 STIC side and the o ther is a group of U17 girls that hardly ever show up to training, so neither are really suitable.

You really need to work with adult players and get some serious hours in. Are your local zone/state able to assist in finding suitable teams to coach?

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Steelinho
Steelinho
Fan

dirkvanadidas wrote:
Steelinho wrote:
I'll be looking for a team to use other than my own two fairly soon; one of my groups is an U12 STIC side and the o ther is a group of U17 girls that hardly ever show up to training, so neither are really suitable.

You really need to work with adult players and get some serious hours in. Are your local zone/state able to assist in finding suitable teams to coach?

I don't disagree with you at all. To be honest, I sometimes wonder why I even bother with a team where I only get 5-7 players out to training (and the club can't arrange more than 12 players for my team in total). The fact that they're now also being messed around at their school teams doesn't help the cause, either.

I don't think there are a lot of people around the traps that actually understand the licencing system. I saw one reserves position saying the minimum was a "Senior Licence (Asian B)" and another person, when I responded to a question by saying I had a C Licence (at the time), asked me what that was. Both looking for coaches for their teams. There doesn't seem to be any real knowledge beyond the community certificates.
It still appears to be a boys' club when it comes to coaching appointments at club level, according to people I met on the courses in those kinds of jobs; I was grateful the State TD offered me the STIC coaching job without applying. (Applications were a couple of months ago.) I anticipate myself enjoying that role and it should help me get a little bit of experience in using the curriculum structure, opposed to how I've been forced to operate with the girls' team.
As for them helping me find a more senior position somewhere; I suppose it's worth a shot, but I don't think I'll be holding my breath. More likely I'll have to bide my time and wait until the end of the season or for a position to become vacant.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Steelinho wrote:
dirkvanadidas wrote:
Steelinho wrote:

I don't disagree with you at all. To be honest, I sometimes wonder why I even bother with a team where I only get 5-7 players out to training (and the club can't arrange more than 12 players for my team in total). The fact that they're now also being messed around at their school teams doesn't help the cause, either.

It still appears to be a boys' club when it comes to coaching appointments at club level, according to people I met on the courses in those kinds of jobs; I was grateful the State TD offered me the STIC coaching job without applying. (Applications were a couple of months ago.) I anticipate myself enjoying that role and it should help me get a little bit of experience in using the curriculum structure, opposed to how I've been forced to operate with the girls' team.

We have some common ground. Last year I was giving technical direction. However, a number of players I was coaching, didn't really want it. Essentially, they were social players. A bit like either Neverwozzwa or TJ Whalan. That is, a team was having success from working hard to improve. They told a few mates who came along. The 'mates' were a problem to coach.

Then I spent alot of time in FFA courses. When doing the C Licence, I thought I really needed to put a lot of it into practice. I applied for assistant coach, co - coach, head coach for all rep teams who played 11 a side from under 12 to under 14, with under 14 being the top job. Some junior associations were using' name' current players, with little coaching background, about 30 years younger than me. I thought I wasn't going to get a job.

Then I was offered the highest of all the jobs with state FFA. Now it is living with high pressure. It is fine coaching players from clubs, but to have to coach half a dozen guys who just missed out on NTC, coached by one of the best SAP/Skilleroo coaches in Australia, is a hard act to follow. #-o

Nearly all the parents are trained coaches, and, the players have the disappointment of me coaching them after being under the tutelage of a veritable supercoach, possibly every bit as good as the assistant Matilda and assistant Socceroo coaches who live here. He is one of the FFA NC writers.#-o
We have 4 staff coaches with state FFA, plus the two NTC assistants, who are so much more advanced than the rest of the coaching fraternity, with the notable exceptions being one or two state league senior coaches. At SAP/Skilleroo coach is very willing to have me along to his training sessions to observe. He provides gratuitous advice and explanations too, and is willing to answer my many boring questions about his exemplary practice.

It is a massive challenge to improve, fast, and, to live with the pressure of underperformances in big tournaments. These tournaments are used to determine NTC selection. This is better than trying to motivate social players to practice at all.:)
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Huge congratulations on the STIC position by the way Steelinho. The boys' club is really a pity, but not a surprise.

If you're having trouble finding players/teams in general, what do you guys think about approaching high schools? Apart from the elite sporting high schools, I can't really see many teachers having any licenses at all. I know you have a lot of experience with working in schools Decentric, so what do you think of this idea? I have no experience there at all, but from an outsider's perspective it would seem like a readily available source of always available players?
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Hey again guys. Is anyone here looking at doing the Central C license in October?

I will be heading along to that one. I can't justify the extra $1200 in accommodation/food fees for a single room at the AIS, so I think I'll probably just rough it at a YHA close by, or maybe a decent hotel that's around.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Edit; Application and detail form here

Edited by Draupnir: 16/5/2013 03:22:50 AM
Steelinho
Steelinho
Fan

Draupnir wrote:
Huge congratulations on the STIC position by the way Steelinho. The boys' club is really a pity, but not a surprise.

If you're having trouble finding players/teams in general, what do you guys think about approaching high schools? Apart from the elite sporting high schools, I can't really see many teachers having any licenses at all. I know you have a lot of experience with working in schools Decentric, so what do you think of this idea? I have no experience there at all, but from an outsider's perspective it would seem like a readily available source of always available players?

Thanks. Technically started doing that on Monday, but we just the group of 28 play a game and we moved players between teams and positions to find a balance and make two teams of 14 for us two coaches to work on separately. Based on the players I've been "given" through that game, I'm somewhat excited about this coming Monday, which will be the first real session for us.

As for schools, they can be great for getting numbers, but there's a risk you end up with a chasm in quality and understanding amongst your group, which could lead to you focusing a lot/too much of your time on bringing them up to speed. (Playing style, numbering system, etc., etc.) Also, you'd have to make sure you get enough out that you're essentially having another set of trials - making sure there are no personality clashes is a big part of making sure the players will be mentally switched on.
A lot of schools, I've noticed, are now developing their own football programs, which is good as it turns out schools take priority over clubs (at least for women's football in this state); if both a club and a school have a game on at conflicting times, the club has to hand its players over to the school.
Coaches at schools apparently get paid fairly well - I hear it can be around $35/hr at private schools for someone without an advanced coaching licence - so they can attract people to help out. I think it's a very good sign for the future, so long as the right people at the schools are making the right decisions regarding who coaches the children.
tjwhalan
tjwhalan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Draupnir wrote:
Hey again guys. Is anyone here looking at doing the Central C license in October?

I will be heading along to that one. I can't justify the extra $1200 in accommodation/food fees for a single room at the AIS, so I think I'll probably just rough it at a YHA close by, or maybe a decent hotel that's around.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Edit; Application and detail form here

Edited by Draupnir: 16/5/2013 03:22:50 AM

Yeah im looking at doing the youth part, I was hoping to do the senior community license first though no one at North Coast football seems to want to talk to me. I'm the same no way Id be paying 1200 for accommodation.
Steelinho
Steelinho
Fan

That's actually somewhat appealing. Great excuse for me to go to Canberra and see what they're doing with the Youth Course. Draupnir, are you planning on doing the senior or youth course?

I hear that taking the accommodation option is valuable for the B Licence (and I'd have to agree from my own experiences of the regional version), but I don't think it's really necessary for the C Licence. Main reason it's important on the B Licence is the amount of group work you have to do and how difficult it can be to organise that "off-site."
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Hey guys. I am looking at doing the senior course. I've done a few other small youth courses overseas and I want to get my licenses at senior level I suppose. Why are you going for the youth course TJ?

The youth course and senior course are run together for the first three days and everybody gets separated on days 4-7, so there's plenty of overlapping material.

I can imagine that the accomodation option comes in handy for both group work and as well as making connections, but like you say Steelinho, for a C license at an extra $1200 it's a bit of a stretch. I had a look at a few other options and there's a few budget hotels around that also include breakfast, nothing spectacular - What are the rooms at the AIS like?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Draupnir wrote:

Working in schools, taking football clinics can involve a lot of work and not gaining many players, particularly from age 10 upwards. Most in these age groups are already playing football in clubs if they want to.

Teachers love coaches taking clinics. They watch someone else do all the work!

I must admit I really enjoy more experienced, elite coaches coaching my team. I use the same football plan for the next session to reinforce what they are attempting to impart to the players.:)

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Steelinho wrote:

Coaches at schools apparently get paid fairly well - I hear it can be around $35/hr at private schools for someone without an advanced coaching licence - so they can attract people to help out. I think it's a very good sign for the future, so long as the right people at the schools are making the right decisions regarding who coaches the children.

I'm sure they don't earn that in this state.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

I think that sounds about right for a high end private school in Sydney, from what I've heard anyway (Scots College, Barker, etc).
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Decentric wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

Working in schools, taking football clinics can involve a lot of work and not gaining many players, particularly from age 10 upwards. Most in these age groups are already playing football in clubs if they want to.

Teachers love coaches taking clinics. They watch someone else do all the work!

Thanks for the advice. I assumed it'd be the case that everyone already had a club but for me I was thinking it might be a nice entry point if you can get into a school with a decent footballing program.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Hey guys. I found a nice official UEFA document that lists the number of coaches in each national association that hold B, A and Pro Diploma licenses. I found it pretty interesting so I thought I'd link it.

Here it is - http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/01/93/37/96/1933796_DOWNLOAD.pdf

I found it interesting that SO many Spanish coaches have the Pro Diploma. It really speaks for itself in terms of results I think. Compare the nations with the most educated coaches with recent success and you may see a pattern like I did.

That one that stands out in an unusual way is the relatively high amount of Pro Diplomas that Czech coaches have. Maybe a sign for the future? Was surprised that France is quite low.

Edited by Draupnir: 27/5/2013 10:47:41 AM
Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class
World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)

Decentric wrote:
Steelinho wrote:

I take the under 15's at the private school I finished at 3 years ago. I get paid $700 for a 7 week season with 1 training a week and no real preseason. I would do it for free, but it's still nice to receive that at the end of the season.

I think the coach of the first team get $2000 for the same length of season but a few more trainings and extra cup games.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Roar #1 wrote:
Decentric wrote:
Steelinho wrote:

I take the under 15's at the private school I finished at 3 years ago. I get paid $700 for a 7 week season with 1 training a week and no real preseason. I would do it for free, but it's still nice to receive that at the end of the season.

I think the coach of the first team get $2000 for the same length of season but a few more trainings and extra cup games.

That isn't shabby at all! What licenses do you have mate?
Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class
World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)

Draupnir wrote:
Roar #1 wrote:
Decentric wrote:
Steelinho wrote:

That isn't shabby at all! What licenses do you have mate?

None at the moment, I haven't had time to do any, been busy with Uni and other things. I definitely want to start working through them, i need to sit down and look at dates and information.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

That's great though mate. Congratulations on the position anyway, it gives hope to others, heh.

Are you going to go for a community course first or an elite one?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search