Star Wars

Star Wars

Author
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sorry movie thread, needs its own thread!

Quote:
Entertainment giant Walt Disney Co is to buy director George Lucas's world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including his legendary "Star Wars" franchise, for some $3.85 billion, it has announced.

A new movie in the series, "Star Wars 7" is set for release in 2015, said a Disney statement.

"That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."

Are you Australia's biggest Star Wars fan? Nine News may want to speak to you. Let us know by sending an email to news.feedback@ninemsn.com.au

The deal "combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity," said Disney chief Robert Iger.

The transaction is valued at $3.76 billion, based on current stock value, with Disney paying about half in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Iger, head of global entertainment giant Disney, which is headquarted in Burbank, just outside Los Angeles.

Lucas himself, chairman and chief executive officer of Lucasfilm, added: "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next.

"It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

"I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come."

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/8556740/disney-buys-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-film-set

Edited by aussie4ever4: 1/11/2012 10:21:26 PM

Edited by iridium1010: 20/12/2015 07:24:49 PM

Edited by iridium1010: 30/1/2016 02:30:52 AM
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Wow!
ual
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

I love that everyone's saying the movie's will be garbage etc. etc. Who knows, they might actually be good.
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

A new film every two to three years? That will destroy Star Wars even more than the new trilogy did.
avy1990
avy1990
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

ual wrote:
I love that everyone's saying the movie's will be garbage etc. etc. Who knows, they might actually be good.

Well going by the other 7-8 movies...
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Would like to see them fir Hammil/Fisher/Ford in for cameos.
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I'd like to see a movie bridging the two trilogies, detailing the further fall of the Republic, execution of the Jedi's and chronicling the rise of the Empire. I'm not sure what to make of this as I hope they aren't butchered but Lucas has created a very diverse universe and seems like the sort of bloke who knows what he's doing leaving this in the hands of a new generation.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

If they do a prequel it could be about the republic and the Sith empire.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Fredsta wrote:
I'd like to see a movie bridging the two trilogies, detailing the further fall of the Republic, execution of the Jedi's and chronicling the rise of the Empire. I'm not sure what to make of this as I hope they aren't butchered but Lucas has created a very diverse universe and seems like the sort of bloke who knows what he's doing leaving this in the hands of a new generation.

I've read quite a few of the novels and Lucas kept control of all the stories, like if an author wanted to kill off a character he had to approve it and anyone who wrote a book based after that in the timeline had to honour that character dying, so extended universe is very linear and follows the same character development.
This would make it very easy to do lots of movies as the stories are all there, but I'd wager the new movies would be set long after Return of the Jedi so all the characters would be new and getting Harrison Ford to do Han Solo again wouldn't be an issue. I've read before he's deadset against doing another Star Wars, but that might change when Disney drive the money truck up to his house.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Yeah it's likely the movies will be set decades after Jedi so it's a clean slate in terms of actors but without the problem of new stories.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

This is simply fantastic, sure the second trilogy was different to the first but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. I hope they keep the trilogy theme happening with each new story progression as it really allows for character and story development.
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend

Joffa wrote:
This is simply fantastic, sure the second trilogy was different to the first but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. I hope they keep the trilogy theme happening with each new story progression as it really allows for character and story development.

Yeah I agree, with the unique and detailed world Lucas has created a one off film would just not do it justice in terms of developing story, character, setting etc.
shallow hal wants a gal
shallow hal wants a gal
World Class
World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)World Class (6.6K reputation)

ill go see it but it will probably be crap, what is it going to be about? new jedis or something?
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

This will now mean 2015 will have Avengers 2, Justice League and a new Star Wars movie. :lol: That's pretty epic.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Revenge of the Sith was epic, the only gay bit was "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Only Empire was better imo.

Maybe now we will get Battlefront 3.

Edited by aussie4ever4: 31/10/2012 04:03:03 PM
rocknerd
rocknerd
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

They're just words flying across the screen, who cares, i wasn't going to read them anyway!

A new Hope, Empire and Jedi are the only Star Wars films. the rest is just bullshit I don't need to know. Also now that Lucas has 3.76 billion dollars handy, I'd like my $15 back for having to watch Phantom menace.
FulofGladbach
FulofGladbach
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Franchise = ruined.

[-(
MusikResponse
MusikResponse
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

I'm fairly worried about this.

Although, can they really ruin it any more than George Lucas himself has? Maybe a fresh set of hands could be good. Just dont make it a "Disney" movie.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

MusikResponse wrote:

Although, can they really ruin it any more than George Lucas himself has? Maybe a fresh set of hands could be good. Just dont make it a "Disney" movie.

Disney made Pirate of the Caribbean didn't they?

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Fredsta wrote:
I'd like to see a movie bridging the two trilogies, detailing the further fall of the Republic, execution of the Jedi's and chronicling the rise of the Empire.

The proposed live action SW TV series is supposed to bridge this gap. Lucas has already got the stories lined up and ready to go apparently, but it will simply cost too much to film or something.
It was going to concentrate on "minor" characters at a more lower level than viewed from the top (ie from plebs, smugglers etc rather than the Emperor, senators etc)
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

paulbagzFC wrote:
MusikResponse wrote:

-PB

They also had this little movie called The Avengers, which didn't work out to bad from memory :lol: :p
catbert
catbert
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Erebus wrote:
Fredsta wrote:
I'd like to see a movie bridging the two trilogies, detailing the further fall of the Republic, execution of the Jedi's and chronicling the rise of the Empire.

The proposed live action SW TV series is supposed to bridge this gap. Lucas has already got the stories lined up and ready to go apparently, but it will simply cost too much to film or something.
It was going to concentrate on "minor" characters at a more lower level than viewed from the top (ie from plebs, smugglers etc rather than the Emperor, senators etc)

That could work,
If it were after episode 6 i would think the plot would likely be as compelling as all the additional fiction around that time period, see Star Wars: Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast for more. An old republic thing could work, but would be in danger of very very over the top action scenes.
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
This will now mean 2015 will have Avengers 2, Justice League and a new Star Wars movie. :lol: That's pretty epic.

The movie industry will be pocketing it big time
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

My thoughts.

I'm sure glad they never made a new Star Wars after Return of the Jedi. That might have ruined it.
TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

The knights of the old republic video games were epic. I liked the setting 4000 years before the movies.

Ive read a few books before and after the movies which were quite good.
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend

TimmyJ wrote:
The knights of the old republic video games were epic. I liked the setting 4000 years before the movies.

Ive read a few books before and after the movies which were quite good.

Movies of these games would be fucking amazing.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

I've just been to my local cinema, tickets are not on sale yet and they don't yet have a release date.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
paulbagzFC wrote:
MusikResponse wrote:

-PB

They also had this little movie called The Avengers, which didn't work out to bad from memory :lol: :p

True!

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

MusikResponse
MusikResponse
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
MusikResponse wrote:

-PB

Yeah I suppose. The first one was ok but never really got into the others. They're certainly not in the same league as Star Wars though.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Battlefront 3, nothing but.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search