The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
stryker - 4 Dec 2016 8:57 PM
RedshirtWilly - 4 Dec 2016 4:24 PM

3 teams  name with Melbourne doesnt sit right with me. Must be a first in world football.

nothing wrong with that though. 

any how sydney would be 
sydney fc
western sydney wanderers
sydney athletic
northern spirit

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Mark Bogue: Fingers crossed Geelong gets A-League team

I WAS forced to go to Melbourne on Friday night.

I say “forced” because I don’t fancy making that spirit-sapping drive up the highway these days unless I absolutely have to.

It’s not that I don’t like the ‘World’s Most Liveable City’ but there’s little up there I need nowadays that I can’t find here in our own backyard.

It’s not like I can’t go to the footy right here at our beautiful Kardinia Park, for example, and our coffee is every bit as good as you’ll find up there. We even have our own Bunnings, Woolies and McDonald’s.

When I think about it, it’s a wonder that I need to blow money on petrol to visit that sky-scraping metropolis at all.

Sometimes I even feel a bit sorry for our city-slicker cousins knowing how good we have it here in terms of lifestyle when they have to contend with endless traffic jams, eye-wateringly expensive housing and hook turns.

I mean, who needs all that?

We’ve got it made in the shade, from clean beaches to ample parking.

So why then did I subject myself to that demoralising drive up there on Friday?

Well, they do have one thing we don’t ... not yet anyway — the A-League.

If you’ve read this column before, you probably already know that I love my soccer, particularly our premier national competition, and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to watch the visit of my beloved Perth Glory to take on Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park.

But, from what I’ve been reading lately, Geelong looks like it will make a bid to enter its own team in the A-League and that the head honchos who will ultimately decide its fate favour our region as an area for expansion.

Melbourne Victory has been good to us in recent years having played several league matches at Simonds Stadium, with another one less than a month away — I recommend you go.

But to have our own Geelong team competing against the best in Australia would be something special.

Like the Cats it could be another beacon for our community to rally around and show the rest of the country we’re second best to no one.

And it would cut my fuel costs considerably.

I have my fingers crossed that it happens.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/opinion/mark-bogue-fingers-crossed-geelong-gets-aleague-team/news-story/5ed53ad585fd0beab029365d0f100132

And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Sunshine Coast Stadium getting an upgrade

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy3l595UUAAogZv.jpg

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Edited
8 Years Ago by View from the fence
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

scott21 - 5 Dec 2016 9:08 AM
Mark Bogue: Fingers crossed Geelong gets A-League teamI WAS forced to go to Melbourne on Friday night.I say “forced” because I don’t fancy making that spirit-sapping drive up the highway these days unless I absolutely have to.It’s not that I don’t like the ‘World’s Most Liveable City’ but there’s little up there I need nowadays that I can’t find here in our own backyard.It’s not like I can’t go to the footy right here at our beautiful Kardinia Park, for example, and our coffee is every bit as good as you’ll find up there. We even have our own Bunnings, Woolies and McDonald’s.When I think about it, it’s a wonder that I need to blow money on petrol to visit that sky-scraping metropolis at all.Sometimes I even feel a bit sorry for our city-slicker cousins knowing how good we have it here in terms of lifestyle when they have to contend with endless traffic jams, eye-wateringly expensive housing and hook turns.I mean, who needs all that?We’ve got it made in the shade, from clean beaches to ample parking.So why then did I subject myself to that demoralising drive up there on Friday?Well, they do have one thing we don’t ... not yet anyway — the A-League.If you’ve read this column before, you probably already know that I love my soccer, particularly our premier national competition, and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to watch the visit of my beloved Perth Glory to take on Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park.But, from what I’ve been reading lately, Geelong looks like it will make a bid to enter its own team in the A-League and that the head honchos who will ultimately decide its fate favour our region as an area for expansion.Melbourne Victory has been good to us in recent years having played several league matches at Simonds Stadium, with another one less than a month away — I recommend you go.But to have our own Geelong team competing against the best in Australia would be something special.Like the Cats it could be another beacon for our community to rally around and show the rest of the country we’re second best to no one.And it would cut my fuel costs considerably.I have my fingers crossed that it happens.http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/opinion/mark-bogue-fingers-crossed-geelong-gets-aleague-team/news-story/5ed53ad585fd0beab029365d0f100132

gee seems like if you are a sports journo in victoria you can get any sort of opinion piece published in the newspaper regardless of actual support of opinion.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Yeah, I saw on fb someone mentioned the council is upgrading it to 8k. Haven't checked it out though and not sure if numbers are accurate. I actually drove past it today as my kid had a swim lesson next door at Kawana Swimming.

Edited
8 Years Ago by scott21
Strikers94
Strikers94
Super Fan
Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)

scott21 - 5 Dec 2016 5:42 PM
Yeah, I saw on fb someone mentioned the council is upgrading it to 8k. Haven't checked it out though and not sure if numbers are accurate. I actually drove past it today as my kid had a swim lesson next door at Kawana Swimming.

I didn't think they were adding more seats? Just creating some nice grass hills so it 's a proper football stadium. 

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

View from the fence - 5 Dec 2016 12:57 PM

God it has been a long time since I seen and been to that stadium. Used to go to A-league pre-season cup games there for Queensland Roar in the first few years of the A-League. What upgrades are happening?

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Sunshine Coast Stadium upgrade.

”On completion, the stadium will have the capacity to host high-profile and large-scale events which will no doubt have economic benefits as well.

“The project is multifaceted and includes the re-development of a rectangle field and construction of turf moundings to cater for 10,000 spectators as well as improvements to the, irrigation system, electrical works, pathways, and landscaping.

Nice .A lot of grass moundings.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

View from the fence - 5 Dec 2016 12:57 PM

The fire and their fans are stoked. 

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Its the first of four stages that when needed will end up with seating on both sides for about 7k.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

I was skeptical about the site but then witnessed they allow parking on all the surrounding fields when events are on.

Edited
8 Years Ago by scott21
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Current stage is just building up some dirt around the ground, nothing else.

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/sunshine-coast-stadium-to-get-24-million-makeover/3111936/
Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

Thanks for the info peeps. Very interesting indeed. Well in the long term.

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

RedshirtWilly - 4 Dec 2016 4:24 PM

3 teams  name with Melbourne doesnt sit right with me. Must be a first in world football.

Dynamo Moscow, CSKA Moscow, Spartak Moscow, Torpedo Moscow, Lokomotiv Moscow. 3 Currently in the Premier League.

Prague has 3 clubs named Prague in the Czech First League, 2 of which are regulars in European competition.

Shanghai had 3 but one was relegated.

Not uncommon at all.
Edited
8 Years Ago by bohemia
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
bohemia - 6 Dec 2016 8:21 AM

Dynamo Moscow, CSKA Moscow, Spartak Moscow, Torpedo Moscow, Lokomotiv Moscow. 3 Currently in the Premier League.

Prague has 3 clubs named Prague in the Czech First League, 2 of which are regulars in European competition.

Shanghai had 3 but one was relegated.

Not uncommon at all.

A quarter of the EPL (five clubs) are based in London. In 1989-90 there were eight, making 56 London derbies in one season. The league obviously was never heard from again after that.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
14 of the 30 teams in the Argentine top flight this season are from Buenos Aires, too.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

paladisious - 6 Dec 2016 10:19 AM
14 of the 30 teams in the Argentine top flight this season are from Buenos Aires, too.

Pala, he is talking specifically about having the name of the city in the club name not the fact there can't be 3 teams in one city full stop.

Still been proved wrong, but there is a distinction
Strikers94
Strikers94
Super Fan
Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)

Pretty sure it was sarcasm.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

6 teams called adelaide in the npl
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

If smfc get in will anyone stop taking their kids to games?
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Strikers94 - 6 Dec 2016 12:58 PM
Pretty sure it was sarcasm.

Pretty sure no other city in the World has 3 teams named Melbourne

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

williamn
williamn
World Class

southmelb - 6 Dec 2016 1:07 PM
If smfc get in will anyone stop taking their kids to games?

all the 50 year old rugby league die-hard mothers will call into talk back radio to mention that theyre definitely not taking them to a-league games.
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

View from the fence - 6 Dec 2016 1:21 PM
Strikers94 - 6 Dec 2016 12:58 PM

Pretty sure no other city in the World has 3 teams named Melbourne

:D:D:D

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

williamn - 6 Dec 2016 1:52 PM
southmelb - 6 Dec 2016 1:07 PM

all the 50 year old rugby league die-hard mothers will call into talk back radio to mention that theyre definitely not taking them to a-league games.

And how their kids were discriminated against because they weren't Greek.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

paladisious - 6 Dec 2016 10:16 AM
bohemia - 6 Dec 2016 8:21 AM

A quarter of the EPL (five clubs) are based in London. In 1989-90 there were eight, making 56 London derbies in one season. The league obviously was never heard from again after that.

Is that why we haven't seen it on TV? ;)

SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)Amateur (646 reputation)

The success of an increased number of derbies in Australian cities isn't related to similar successes in cities like London.

The NSL tried this in the 80s by expanding the league to 24 teams with high concentrations in Melbourne and Sydney and average crowds decreased!

When it comes to adding teams into existing markets the questions should be (1) how will this addition impact existing teams in the market (2) is this team financially sound?

Eventually we need full blown pro/rel party so that we can stop being financial analysts and start being football fans ffs
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

scott21 - 4 Dec 2016 4:31 PM
Coffs Harbour Bananas

Banana Coast FC
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

I suppose if it was a joint Ballina Prawns FC & Coffs Harbour Bananas they could be Banana Prawns FC
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

South NSW Sharks. A catchment are of south Sydney to Wentworth. All those fans guys. 

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class

Football: Sutherland Shire is betting agency's favourite for A-League licence

Potential: A new franchise in the area would give players like Alex Gersbach, who played his junior football for Sutherland Shire Football Association, a team to aspire to. Picture: Chris LanePotential: A new franchise in the area would give players like Alex Gersbach, who played his junior football for Sutherland Shire Football Association, a team to aspire to. Picture: Chris Lane

A betting agency has rated southern Sydney, based out of the Sutherland Shire, as the most likely location for another A-League franchise, offering odds on who the next club could be to join the Hyundai A-League.
A Southern Sydney franchise playing games out of Southern Cross Group Stadium is Luxbet’s $3.50 favourite to become the next A-League team to gain a licence.According to Luxbet, Geelong is second most likely at $4, followed by Canberra at $5, Brisbane Strikers at $6 and the Illawarra region at $6.50.“There has been talk for a lot of years around an A-League team based at Shark Park, with Cronulla on record saying they would be interested in ownership of the new side,” Luxbet’s Dylan Atkinson said.“Geelong will be a solid choice for punters with millions of dollars spent on [Kardinia Park] in recent years and the ground has also hosted six matches in the past decade, with over 21,000 watching the Victory play Perth Glory last year.”Defunct teams North Queensland and Gold Coast are $501 outsiders to be granted another licence.The last team to be added to the competition was the Western Sydney Wanderers in 2012 and, since then, the A-League has been more focused on consolidating the competition rather than expanding it.
Home ground: Southern Cross Group stadium could play home to a new A-League franchise. Picture: John Veage

Home ground: Southern Cross Group stadium could play home to a new A-League franchise. Picture: John VeageHowever, last month, A-League chief Greg O'Rourke gave a timetable for possibly two new teams to be introduced in the 2018-19 competition, in a statement. 
“A framework for expansion will be completed early next year which will allow [consortia] to submit expressions of interest in a framework which focuses on the viability of the proposed franchise and its ability to provide benefits to the A-League and the game," the statement read.
Cronulla Sharks chief executive Lyall Gorman, who was the former chief executive of Western Sydney Wanderers and Central Coast Mariners, told the SunSun Herald Herald he was adamant the shire should be home to an A-League team in an expanded league."We've consistently said that we believe there is room for a third franchise in Sydney,” Gorman said.
“We believe that, logically, the southern part of Sydney lends itself very much to that. 
“We know we've got the largest registered football junior association in the southern hemisphere in Sutherland Shire, so there's a lot of reasons why engaging this region in some form or another in an expansion strategy makes a lot of sense.
"We have a great rectangular venue there. 
“We've seen it at full capacity all year and understand fully the model of engagement and community spirit that [Shark Park] offers.

"Luxbet prices for the next A-League team:Luxbet prices for the next A-League team: $3.50 Southern Sydney (Sutherland), $4 Geelong, $5 Canberra, $6 Brisbane Strikers, $6.50 Illawarra (Wollongong), $8 Southwest Sydney (Liverpool), $10 Tasmania, $15 West Adelaide, $26 Perth II, $26 South Melbourne, $26 South East Melbourne, $51 Dubbo, $67 Alice Springs, $251 West Wyalong, $501 North Queensland, $501 Gold Coast.
  • Would you support a shire-based A-League club?
  • Would you support a shire-based A-League club?

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search