The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
bigpoppa - 19 Dec 2016 4:21 PM
View from the fence - 19 Dec 2016 4:02 PM

'Oh no.. Sorry everyone the big bad tv companies won't pay for it.'

We'll probably see how many times 'Consolidation' can be used in Gallops final Presser.

Another reason is that, with Nix looking more wobbly by the week, FFA'll need options

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Benjamin - 19 Dec 2016 3:48 PM
southmelb - 19 Dec 2016 2:36 PM

You're applying logic to this again, aren't you?  How many times have you been warned..?

To be honest i have never realistically thought south could get in, i meant specifically if it came down to south melb v south east..i simply cant entertain the idea of any such team.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

With the Sunshine Coast also now saying they want a team it seems that the attempt by FFA to stem the debate by issuing criteria in February has failed miserably.

The more talk of expansion, the more we are driving the agenda rather than the FFA.
Good to see!
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
The new date for the release of the criteria is now July.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

pippinu - 19 Dec 2016 6:21 PM
The new date for the release of the criteria is now July.

I won't hold my breath. 

World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 19 Dec 2016 6:41 PM
pippinu - 19 Dec 2016 6:21 PM

I won't hold my breath. 

This thread should have been in the Rumour Mill long, long ago

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

View from the fence - 19 Dec 2016 6:51 PM

TheSelectFew - 19 Dec 2016 6:41 PM

This thread should have been in the Rumour Mill long, long ago

Design a kit and logo for Rumour Mill FC. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

World Class

TheSelectFew - 19 Dec 2016 6:54 PM
View from the fence - 19 Dec 2016 6:51 PM

Design a kit and logo for Rumour Mill FC. 

Image result for rainbow football kitImage result for rainbow football kit

Image result for Unicorn crest

williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

bigpoppa - 19 Dec 2016 3:42 PM
Another kit/crest I've done up for a South Sydney franchise. Again gone with the ship theme in regards to Botany Bay/First Fleet/Captain Cook. Colourways of Black and White because its yet to be seen as a main kit in the HAL. Wanted to keep it as basic as possible. Less is more as they say.

image hosting 20mb

upload img

free photo hosting

another fantastic south sydney kit. like the simplicity of the south sydney fc name, however with sydney fc already having no name, it wouldnt work for south sydney. the white/black colourways would be a good neutral colour that st george, shire and blacktown could grow to support.
Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

Problem is they would never allow a team to wear white as their home kit since white is generally used as away kits in the A-League and the league enforces clubs to wear their away kits even if their home kits don't clash. You would have to use the black kit as the home kits and the white as the away.

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

View from the fence - 19 Dec 2016 4:56 PM
bigpoppa - 19 Dec 2016 4:21 PM

We'll probably see how many times 'Consolidation' can be used in Gallops final Presser.

Another reason is that, with Nix looking more wobbly by the week, FFA'll need options

New TV deal from you Aussies sounds like it will have Nix Insurance in case we pull the plug soon.
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Volrath2002 - 19 Dec 2016 8:22 PM
Problem is they would never allow a team to wear white as their home kit since white is generally used as away kits in the A-League and the league enforces clubs to wear their away kits even if their home kits don't clash. You would have to use the black kit as the home kits and the white as the away.

dont think that will be the case. for starters city currently wear white, and soon they will be becoming sky blue shirt shorts socks so that will leave the white/black colourway vacant.

i think it would look wonderful, white/black hooped scarves. think of the crowd at oakland raiders games is what i imagine,.all the black streetwear also.
Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

williamn - 19 Dec 2016 9:42 PM

dont think that will be the case. for starters city currently wear white, and soon they will be becoming sky blue shirt shorts socks so that will leave the white/black colourway vacant.

i think it would look wonderful, white/black hooped scarves. think of the crowd at oakland raiders games is what i imagine,.all the black streetwear also.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a nice colour match. There is a reason why so many clubs through history have chosen black and white. I hope you are right as it would be nice. I'm no fan of a Southern Sydney team coming in ahead of a Wollongong team but the colours and crest are nice from the design above. Good work on that has to go out to the artist. When i think of black and white in football it always comes down to Newcastle United with all the flags

But given my local club here in Canberra are the magpies too I have been very used to black and white colour schemes for a long time.

Canberra United - Member
Lewes FC - Owner

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

Volrath2002 - 19 Dec 2016 9:56 PM
williamn - 19 Dec 2016 9:42 PM

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a nice colour match. There is a reason why so many clubs through history have chosen black and white. I hope you are right as it would be nice. I'm no fan of a Southern Sydney team coming in ahead of a Wollongong team but the colours and crest are nice from the design above. Good work on that has to go out to the artist. When i think of black and white in football it always comes down to Newcastle United with all the flags

But given my local club here in Canberra are the magpies too I have been very used to black and white colour schemes for a long time.

This image actually looks a lot like when you go to grandma's house and she gives you the jar full of striped lollies which you can't pull out of the jar because they have been stuck together solid for 15 years
jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

View from the fence - 19 Dec 2016 7:02 PM
TheSelectFew - 19 Dec 2016 6:54 PM

Image result for rainbow football kitImage result for rainbow football kit

Image result for Unicorn crest

Is that just a photo of kit you have in your closet?
Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star

bohemia - 19 Dec 2016 10:26 PM
Volrath2002 - 19 Dec 2016 9:56 PM

This image actually looks a lot like when you go to grandma's house and she gives you the jar full of striped lollies which you can't pull out of the jar because they have been stuck together solid for 15 years

HAHAHAHAHA, good call

Canberra United - Member
Lewes FC - Owner

bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Footballking55 - 19 Dec 2016 6:10 PM
With the Sunshine Coast also now saying they want a team it seems that the attempt by FFA to stem the debate by issuing criteria in February has failed miserably.

The more talk of expansion, the more we are driving the agenda rather than the FFA.
Good to see!

Do QLD really need their own CCM?

Link to an article about this expansion, FYI

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/adelaide/queenslands-sunshine-coast-poised-to-enter-the-aleague-expansion-race-backed-by-consortium/news-story/e9fa2b3062f3fb159ba717bf277af839

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

bitza - 20 Dec 2016 9:06 AM
Footballking55 - 19 Dec 2016 6:10 PM

Do QLD really need their own CCM?

Link to an article about this expansion, FYI

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/adelaide/queenslands-sunshine-coast-poised-to-enter-the-aleague-expansion-race-backed-by-consortium/news-story/e9fa2b3062f3fb159ba717bf277af839

I don't necessarily see them as being one of the candidates for A League expansion. Would be a good fit for an A 2 team there. If they managed to snag a promotion place as some stage, it would be good for the area. In a 16 team A League, promoted teams like Sunshine Coast (if they made it) would not disadvantage the overall competition

The FFA have argued against there being enough interest/teams for a second tier and promotion/relegation. The interest of the Sunshine Coast shows that there are and, hopefully, we see the AFC putting some pressure of them to fast track the A2 League. I also acknowledge that promotion/relegation would be a separate issue to the commencement of the second tier A2 League, but we need the latter to eventually get the former.
World Class

jatz - 19 Dec 2016 10:35 PM
View from the fence - 19 Dec 2016 7:02 PM

Is that just a photo of kit you have in your closet?

There's only enough room in here for me, so not unless I come out.

Spaghetti Arts
Spaghetti Arts
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)

Please FFA expand the league already, it's become so stale the last few years it's become a choir to follow.
lost
lost
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)

Instead of bringing in both new teams the season after next, they should introduce one of them next season. There is a limited pool of Aussie players on the market each year, and having two teams needing to fill their roster from scratch at the same time is counterproductive. A bye every 10 rounds would probably be welcomed by the coaches, and would be particularly useful to teams competing in the ACL. A big advantage of growing the league this way is that you get a fresh injection both next year and the year after, instead of just the year after on it's own.

williamn
williamn
World Class

there's plenty of talent for at least 2 new teams at the same time
World Class

williamn - 20 Dec 2016 5:27 PM
there's plenty of talent for at least 2 new teams at the same time

Image result for disneyworld

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

williamn - 19 Dec 2016 7:54 PM
bigpoppa - 19 Dec 2016 3:42 PM
 as
another fantastic south sydney kit. like the simplicity of the south sydney fc name, however with sydney fc already having no name, it wouldnt work for south sydney. the white/black colourways would be a good neutral colour that st george, shire and blacktown could grow to support.

Really appreciate the postive feedback. I do think though that the name South Sydney would be enough to differentiate with Sydney FC. I'm big fan of letting nicknames manufacture organically. Something like Devils for Tasmania or Sharks for a Cronulla RL owned club would work for obvious reasons but forcing a nickname on a club starting from scratch with no history is when you end up with a name like Fury.

Cheers for the feedback in your following post.
This is something that frustrates me to know end in all sports. I hate the terms HOME and AWAY kits. In my opinion every club should have a MAIN and CLASH strip. Trust me what you said re: light and dark strips is something I thought about, in the end though I made the white kit the home strip because compared to all other HAL 'main' strips it only would clash with Melbourne City and potentially Sydney FC as opposed to the black one which would clash with Wanderers, Victory, Perth and Nix.

Edited
8 Years Ago by bigpoppa
MCMH
MCMH
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

So I think its safe to say Nix wont last beyond season 19/20.
Therefore within the next 3 or so seasons we will see 3 new teams

I think
South Sydney is a lock
2nd Brisbane
South Melbourne 
Tasmania fight it out for the other spots
williamn
williamn
World Class

MCMH - 21 Dec 2016 12:02 AM
So I think its safe to say Nix wont last beyond season 19/20.
Therefore within the next 3 or so seasons we will see 3 new teams

I think
South Sydney is a lock
2nd Brisbane
South Melbourne 
Tasmania fight it out for the other spots

surely not. a-league is at a point where we need growth, not to take more backward steps. if we kill off any more teams we are going to look like the nbl.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

williamn - 21 Dec 2016 12:20 AM
MCMH - 21 Dec 2016 12:02 AM

surely not. a-league is at a point where we need growth, not to take more backward steps. if we kill off any more teams we are going to look like the nbl.

Why kill them off. Use them as a p/r stunt. Australias NZ. Product to establish NZs first professional domestic league. 

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
TheSelectFew - 21 Dec 2016 12:54 AM
williamn - 21 Dec 2016 12:20 AM

Why kill them off. Use them as a p/r stunt. Australias NZ. Product to establish NZs first professional domestic league. 

I like it! And Wellnix can fund it. 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

HortoMagiko - 21 Dec 2016 1:11 PM
TheSelectFew - 21 Dec 2016 12:54 AM

I like it! And Wellnix can fund it. 

I dont care who funds it. Just get them out. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search