The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
bohemia - 14 Apr 2018 10:57 AM
Benjamin - 14 Apr 2018 9:39 AM

It's an interesting point actually. So many factors could see FFA swinging each way regarding the second division. If FFA somehow retain control of the HAL then they'll want the Championship controlled by the AAFC to the extent that they pay for it themselves. But if suddenly AAFC get a media deal together, FFA will want the second division straight back under the FFA umbrella.

Of all the plausible scenarios I've thought of, the most delicious (albeit not most likely) is one where the HAL becomes independent and the FFA takes control of the Championship ala the English model. Imagine that one. New football left to its own devices and FFA forced into an alliance of sorts with old soccer clubs.

I suspect it will be the other way around...  FFA will retain control of the HAL, AAFC will get the Championship - then HAL 'franchises' will defect to the Championship rather than stick with the FFA and Lowy will be left holding nothing.

In previous years I would have said the intellectual property issue would have blocked this - but the FFA is on such wobbly legs at the moment that I don't think they could fight off the owners, the AAFC, the AFC and FIFA if they tried to hold onto those trademarks!  And that's why I suspect they want to control the 2nd division rather than have the AAFC's Championship (note - that's Championship, not 2nd division, the branding clearly leaves the door open to the nation's elite clubs to merge into one league rather than be a 2nd div - which would also explain the AAFC asking AFC about an ACL spot)
Edited
6 Years Ago by Benjamin
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
http://www.footballnationradio.com/daily-news/a-club-for-the-community-by-the-community-united-for-macarthur-a-league-bid-spokesperson-fraser-neil

Southwest Sydney bid.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/macarthur/campbelltown-launched-united-for-macarthur-aleague-bid/news-story/eb04a1879a6f47a1c2075d7b510f01b7

Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

For clarification, their are two competing bids out the southwest Sydney region. One is the MacArthur bid playing out of Campbelltown Stadium, the other is the Southwest bid playing out of a proposed new stadium near the future Badgerys Creek airport.  
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Bocca - 18 Apr 2018 12:10 PM

For clarification, their are two competing bids out the southwest Sydney region. One is the MacArthur bid playing out of Campbelltown Stadium, the other is the Southwest bid playing out of a proposed new stadium near the future Badgerys Creek airport.  

Strictly speaking they're not competing. the South West Sydney bid is a rebadged SD Raiders bidding for the new Championship from what I understand.

In that FNR interview the Macarthur bloke says the've had no discussion with the other SW Sydney franchise. They'll need to look in to that quick smart.
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

bohemia - 18 Apr 2018 12:44 PM

Strictly speaking they're not competing. the South West Sydney bid is a rebadged SD Raiders bidding for the new Championship from what I understand.

In that FNR interview the Macarthur bloke says the've had no discussion with the other SW Sydney franchise. They'll need to look in to that quick smart.

According to facebook the SD Raiders rebadge is applying for A-League as well.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

bigpoppa - 18 Apr 2018 12:49 PM

According to facebook the SD Raiders rebadge is applying for A-League as well.

According to their site they aim to be a foundation Championship club.

http://www.southwestsydneyfootballclub.com.au/

Mixed messages aren't a good thing.

It's a moot point though. Both SW bids will be blown out of the water by Southern Expansion. 
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

When the South West Sydney bid was first made public it included an agreement between Southern Districts and Macarthur Football but I have not seen anything further from Macarthur about it.  I guess they would fall into line with this new Council backed bid.

Looking at recent player numbers Macarthur has continued to grow but Southern Districts hasn't.  Macarthur has just under 10k while Southern Districts has dropped 800 to 8,100.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I can't divulge how I know, but the word on the street here in South East Melbourne is that Team 11 is being looked at VERY favourably.
It is actually a very good bid. Great location- Already 2 derby partners, in the heartland of football in Melbourne, easily accessible by all means of transport etc
Local government FULLY behind the bid and willing to help NOT hinder.
Private investment lined up and the stadium can be built within about 8-12 months due to it's design, but luckily if there are any unforeseen holdups they can play out of AAMI for a few months.
A demographic of locals that follow football and that will actually attend matches (if they are local, not in the city).
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Emerton signs on as ambassador for the Macarthur A-League bid.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/macarthur/former-socceroo-brett-emerton-supports-macarthur-aleague-bid/news-story/06c6cc94ae88e142349768c57787a876

Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro

MarkfromCroydon - 20 Apr 2018 5:37 PM
I can't divulge how I know, but the word on the street here in South East Melbourne is that Team 11 is being looked at VERY favourably.
It is actually a very good bid. Great location- Already 2 derby partners, in the heartland of football in Melbourne, easily accessible by all means of transport etc
Private investment lined up and the stadium can be built within about 8-12 months due to it's design, but luckily if there are any unforeseen holdups they can play out of AAMI for a few months.
A demographic of locals that follow football and that will actually attend matches (if they are local, not in the city).

Great news. I believe in this bid and really want it to succeed. Plus another rival for Victory actually playing out of a different stadium will fill like a real away trip.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Where will the stadium be? How large, etc? 

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro

marconi101 - 20 Apr 2018 7:15 PM

Where will the stadium be? How large, etc? 

I have heard in Dandenong somewhere 10-15k. Apparently they are announcing the stadium plans next week.
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

If Dandenong is to get a team, they do need a wriggle on.
With a state election impending they need to use that to their advantage to pull some sway with voters.

It would in the end provide economic benefit to the region.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

aussie pride - 20 Apr 2018 7:49 PM
If Dandenong is to get a team, they do need a wriggle on.With a state election impending they need to use that to their advantage to pull some sway with voters.It would in the end provide economic benefit to the region.

The bid (including stadium) is supported by local government pledges of support. Nothing to do with the state election.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Bocca - 20 Apr 2018 6:44 PM

Great news. I believe in this bid and really want it to succeed. Plus another rival for Victory actually playing out of a different stadium will fill like a real away trip.

Its about as laughable as southern expansion..south east melb is prime victory territory...it wont feel like an away trip because 95% of the crowd will be for Victory.

Look at the dismal city crowd tonight..all your gonna have is a worse version playing in the sticks.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

So when is the next thing from the FFA going to happen.

DEAFENING RADIO SILENCE

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Bohemia how is the Dandenong City Council going to stump up $50+ M for a stadium?

They would 100% need either state and / or federal backing to get that off the ground
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

TheSelectFew - 20 Apr 2018 8:03 PM
So when is the next thing from the FFA going to happen.

DEAFENING RADIO SILENCE

Its up to clubs that want in to put in their EOI by 24 May.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Bocca - 20 Apr 2018 7:34 PM
marconi101 - 20 Apr 2018 7:15 PM

I have heard in Dandenong somewhere 10-15k. Apparently they are announcing the stadium plans next week.

They're looking at Greaves Reserve (google maps link) walking distance between Dandenong and Yarraman stations.

From their site:

Dandenong has been agreed upon by the local councils as the site of the Club’s football-specific stadium.

The Club envisages playing out of a boutique stadium with a minimum 10,000-capacity, with the capability to expand in future.

In all likelihood the stadium build will require Government funding, but private investment opportunities are also being explored.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

bohemia - 20 Apr 2018 8:02 PM
aussie pride - 20 Apr 2018 7:49 PM

The bid (including stadium) is supported by local government pledges of support. Nothing to do with the state election.

Yep:

Team11 is a joint initiative of Greater Dandenong City Council, City of Casey and Cardinia Shire Council in partnership with the community of south-east Melbourne.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

paladisious - 20 Apr 2018 9:02 PM
bohemia - 20 Apr 2018 8:02 PM

Yep:

Team11 is a joint initiative of Greater Dandenong City Council, City of Casey and Cardinia Shire Council in partnership with the community of south-east Melbourne.

Why was FVS interviewing team 11's bid team? Unless I missed the interview with Munn this was dumb af.

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

I’m actually impressed by what I see from the South East Melbourne bid.

If they can get the stadium and training base built, this bid offers geographic differentiation, in a region that has no based representative clubs in any top tier football code. That is over 1 million people that can bring our code to a very strong position to grow our game further.

It also seems to fit the Gallop mentality for the future, so if they can get a solid investor base to add to the local government support, they are a very strong proposition.
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Heart_fan - 22 Apr 2018 7:30 PM
I’m actually impressed by what I see from the South East Melbourne bid. If they can get the stadium and training base built, this bid offers geographic differentiation, in a region that has no based representative clubs in any top tier football code. That is over 1 million people that can bring our code to a very strong position to grow our game further. It also seems to fit the Gallop mentality for the future, so if they can get a solid investor base to add to the local government support, they are a very strong proposition.

I haven't followed that bid closely but have they mentioned anything in regards to a new stadium being built as part of the bid and also capacity of it?
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

^^ this is their bid website which has some details:
https://www.weareteam11.com

Ultimately, their plan will be for a stadium in Dandenong and a training base in Casey.
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Heart_fan - 22 Apr 2018 7:45 PM
^^ this is their bid website which has some details:https://www.weareteam11.com Ultimately, their plan will be for a stadium in Dandenong and a training base in Casey.

Thanks. Mention of a boutique stadium, however no firm details of capacity or even if it's a reality to get built if their bid is successful. 
A 20k stadium would be good enough in my opinion. 
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

^^ Yep, getting the commitment to build the stadium will be critical to the success of this bid.

At 15K with scope for expansion will be a good size to work from. The concept video seems to show a fairly straight forward design, which should limit the costs, but we will see what they come up with.
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class

Heart_fan - 22 Apr 2018 8:15 PM
^^ Yep, getting the commitment to build the stadium will be critical to the success of this bid. At 15K with scope for expansion will be a good size to work from. The concept video seems to show a fairly straight forward design, which should limit the costs, but we will see what they come up with.

Yeh I agree. Simple design with easy future expansion is the way to go.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Fox sports reporting Wellington are like ok’ing to sell their licence
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Melbcityguy - 22 Apr 2018 9:47 PM
Fox sports reporting Wellington are like ok’ing to sell their licence

I'm calling it. It's a done deal. Herald Sun and Adelaide Now are running with it too. Unbelievable.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search