The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Heart_fan - 27 Feb 2021 1:00 AM
patjennings - 24 Feb 2021 6:51 PM

Bid document only includes Sydney and Melbourne outside of Qld. 

The point of choosing Brisbane as preferred candidate was the minimal investment that was proposed in the bid, and even then the IOC are happy with more cuts to building new venues.

That just screams don’t come to us to spend money, we don’t have to :)

Those states who end up hosting the group stage of the football tournament might upgrade facilities.

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

bettega - 27 Feb 2021 8:10 AM
Heart_fan - 27 Feb 2021 1:00 AM

Those states who end up hosting the group stage of the football tournament might upgrade facilities.

Only 2 of the 9 venues submitted, the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium and the new Sydney Football Stadium, will be interstate.  These stadiums shouldn't need much upgrading but there might be the need for training facility upgrades.

The venues in Qld submitted are a mixed bunch.  Gold Coast, Suncorp and Townsville stadiums shouldn't need work on them.  Barlow Park in Cairns is a multi-sport facility with seating for 1,700.  There has been investigations done on bringing its capacity to 20k for football and this project might get done or possibly part done with the rest of the capacity required done with temporary seating.  Sunshine Coast Stadium at Kawana has upgrades mooted that will eventually take it to 20k+ seats but it only has 1,050 at the moment.  Toowoomba Sports Ground has a capacity of 11k including hills and other standing areas which seems way undersize and would need a lot of work.  Ipswich Stadium is "planned" for 20-30k but hasn't got finance at this stage.

With this much of the football to be played in Qld there would need to be a lot of training venue upgrades.

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2020/month-template/11/rectangular-stadium-back-on-the-agenda-for-cairns
https://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/Council/Planning-and-Projects/Major-Regional-Projects/Sunshine-Coast-Stadium-Expansion
https://www.ipswichfirst.com.au/council-progresses-north-ipswich-reserve-stadium-plan/

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

BAD NEWS for any Aleague expansion hopes, Victoria is banning the use of single use plastics , so maybe Dan wont let any Aleague teams back over the border after 2023?
https://mobile.twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1365473472579657730

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 27 Feb 2021 10:48 PM
BAD NEWS for any Aleague expansion hopes, Victoria is banning the use of single use plastics , so maybe Dan wont let any Aleague teams back over the border after 2023?

Hellas, hellas. England, England England. Can't wait for that game locally.

Edited
3 Years Ago by robbos
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)Rising Star (803 reputation)

Seriously, wtf!
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

What about those that have had plastic and collegan though? Well, that's half the species.
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

robbos - 28 Feb 2021 5:03 PM

Hellas, hellas. England, England England. Can't wait for that game locally.

You are in luck my friend. South Melbourne Hellas are hosting the Eastern Lions this Friday night at Lakeside... catch it on you tube are come for a drive. 
Dont know about other federations but down here im pretty sure the Lions are the only club you wouldnt call wogs.
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 28 Feb 2021 10:52 PM
robbos - 28 Feb 2021 5:03 PM

You are in luck my friend. South Melbourne Hellas are hosting the Eastern Lions this Friday night at Lakeside... catch it on you tube are come for a drive. 
Dont know about other federations but down here im pretty sure the Lions are the only club you wouldnt call wogs.

No thanks mate.
I'm a wog, I'm Portuguese, just don't have to follow a Portuguese team in Australia.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 1 Mar 2021 4:38 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 28 Feb 2021 10:52 PM

No thanks mate.
I'm a wog, I'm Portuguese, just don't have to follow a Portuguese team in Australia.

You can follow whichever team you like buddy that's the point. You're the one running to the hills scared of "Hellas Hellas"...... 
robbos
robbos
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Mar 2021 4:50 PM
robbos - 1 Mar 2021 4:38 PM

You can follow whichever team you like buddy that's the point. You're the one running to the hills scared of "Hellas Hellas"...... 

Only in reply to your plastic comment. If you think A-League has plastic clubs is pathetic, I think calling another country's name watching your Aussie club, well yes pathetic.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 1 Mar 2021 5:06 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Mar 2021 4:50 PM

Only in reply to your plastic comment. If you think A-League has plastic clubs is pathetic, I think calling another country's name watching your Aussie club, well yes pathetic.

And calling a team after the noise a lion makes in a children's book isn't pathetic? Or another one called victory when clearly they lose or draw alot lately isnt pathetic? Or my personal favourite, cheering for a team named after a crappy movie from the 70s https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5b-qJb4LM0 .... shit even the yanks dont name clubs that badly.....
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Mar 2021 9:46 PM

And calling a team after the noise a lion makes in a children's book isn't pathetic? Or another one called victory when clearly they lose or draw alot lately isnt pathetic? Or my personal favourite, cheering for a team named after a crappy movie from the 70s https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5b-qJb4LM0 .... shit even the yanks dont name clubs that badly.....

You forgot my personal favorite, Perth Glory (hole)

robbos
robbos
Pro

Por tu gal, Por tu gal, na not me in Australian football, despite my love for my parents heritage.

Edited
3 Years Ago by robbos
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 3 Mar 2021 7:06 AM

Por tu gal, Por tu gal, na not me in Australian football, despite my love for my parents heritage.
So it is pathetic to support a team that was created by the people you love and respect (or so you claim), who through your parents and100s of generations of history have gone into making you,  but its cool to support a corporate logo and a marketing graduate's branding excersise? Righto, horses for courses I suppose. Everyone is free to do whatever they want. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraser_Park_FC these guys are the only Portuguese team I could think of, not sure if you are in Sydney or not.... you'd be amazed at how much they will treat you like a member, a supporter and a human of value as opppsed to a customer.  (note I have never had the pleasure of meeting or visiting anyone from Fraser Park, but the couple of Portuguese I have meet are f#cking fantastic, warm funny human beings so I have every faith their Sydney cousins would be the same)

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Mar 2021 9:38 PM
So it is pathetic to support a team that was created by the people you love and respect (or so you claim), who through your parents and100s of generations of history have gone into making you,  but its cool to support a corporate logo and a marketing graduate's branding excersise? Righto, horses for courses I suppose. Everyone is free to do whatever they want. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraser_Park_FC these guys are the only Portuguese team I could think of, not sure if you are in Sydney or not.... you'd be amazed at how much they will treat you like a member, a supporter and a human of value as opppsed to a customer.  (note I have never had the pleasure of meeting or visiting anyone from Fraser Park, but the couple of Portuguese I have meet are f#cking fantastic, warm funny human beings so I have every faith their Sydney cousins would be the same)

P.S watching the second rate Ronaldo cry in July 2004 has to be one of my fondest soccer memories 😎
robbos
robbos
Pro

They do & it's great to have a little of Portugal in Australia. However, I already have a Portuguese team Porto, proud as punch when I went to a game there in 2016.
Now I live in Australia & I want to follow an Australian team in Australia & not chant out a name from the old country.

robbos
robbos
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Mar 2021 9:41 PM

P.S watching the second rate Ronaldo cry in July 2004 has to be one of my fondest soccer memories 😎

Yes poor little Ronaldo was just 18 years old, playing his first serious final in a grown up opposition.

Has Greece ever produced a player that even remotely resembles Ronaldo great career, what am I saying of course not.

I'd struggle to name a Greek footballer.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 4 Mar 2021 12:10 PM

They do & it's great to have a little of Portugal in Australia. However, I already have a Portuguese team Porto, proud as punch when I went to a game there in 2016.
Now I live in Australia & I want to follow an Australian team in Australia & not chant out a name from the old country.

Fraser Park IS an Australian team buddy.  If you cant see that then you're beyond anything I can say to you. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 4 Mar 2021 12:23 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Mar 2021 9:41 PM

Yes poor little Ronaldo was just 18 years old, playing his first serious final in a grown up opposition.

Has Greece ever produced a player that even remotely resembles Ronaldo great career, what am I saying of course not.

I'd struggle to name a Greek footballer.

And yet shitty little Greece came to Portugal and beat them twice to steal the European Cup. hahahahah what a powerhouse. hahahahah
robbos
robbos
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 5 Mar 2021 1:52 PM
robbos - 4 Mar 2021 12:23 PM

And yet shitty little Greece came to Portugal and beat them twice to steal the European Cup. hahahahah what a powerhouse. hahahahah

Who are the current European champions???
Name one Greek player who matches the feats of Ronaldo, Bernado Silva, Ruben Dias, Fernandes, Pepe, Joao Felix.

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

robbos - 4 Mar 2021 12:10 PM

Nothing wrong with the Portuguese migrants running a club started by Portuguese migrants. Most of the coaches and players from SAP to First Grade aren't Portuguese. The club embraces all nationalities. 
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

I think the silence on the expansion front is certainly concerning, whether it be more teams into the A-League (ie. Canberra), or the NSD.

Money will be a challenge, as there may be interest but the pie will likely get smaller before it can grow again. Broadcasting rights are unlikely to be significant, which just puts more pressure on the decision making process. 

I for one really want to see a NSD up and running within the next 2 years, but the hesitation by all involved seems to indicate just how difficult it could be to see those plans realised. 

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Heart_fan - 8 Mar 2021 11:35 PM
I think the silence on the expansion front is certainly concerning, whether it be more teams into the A-League (ie. Canberra), or the NSD.

Money will be a challenge, as there may be interest but the pie will likely get smaller before it can grow again. Broadcasting rights are unlikely to be significant, which just puts more pressure on the decision making process. 

I for one really want to see a NSD up and running within the next 2 years, but the hesitation by all involved seems to indicate just how difficult it could be to see those plans realised. 

It will depend on the media deal - but not only the dollars. What does the media player/s want to see .i.e. what is in it for them. Different players will have different triggers.

If the A-League is a filler for a media player then not much. If it is a 'media partner' they will be interested will be in a larger amount of content and presumably be prepared be more willing to pay for it. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

patjennings - 9 Mar 2021 2:31 AM
Heart_fan - 8 Mar 2021 11:35 PM

It will depend on the media deal - but not only the dollars. What does the media player/s want to see .i.e. what is in it for them. Different players will have different triggers.

If the A-League is a filler for a media player then not much. If it is a 'media partner' they will be interested will be in a larger amount of content and presumably be prepared be more willing to pay for it. 

Sadly this is the reality and its not just a franchise league problem. In football, as in life, the c#nt that pays the fiddler calls the tune. If only the league was stronger in the  NSL era and instead of pirates like the Loweys looking to shit on everything they didnt get the opportunity to control the first time around and re-invent the wheel,  they added to what was already there. We could have had a 2,3 division, solid pyramid with strong clubs, a mixture of the old and new, and be dictating our wants to a broadcaster not the other way around....
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

MSC
You argue that a club based around a migrant community is a community club…. further you argue that many non-members of a particular community play in these sides.  South Melbourne & Sydney United etc have had many people of all nationalities representing these clubs.

I don’t have an argument with either point, i.e. it’s a Greek or Croatian, Italian etc, community club, nor will I argue within their playing rosters many nationalities have played.

You also argue about the influence of Frank Lowy.

Frank Lowy, set up in 1955 a takeover in NSW of community-based teams represented by their associations for a number of new migrant clubs. They had money and they won, it spread to other states as well. When Frank Lowy and others set up the NSL again it was based on large part on migrant based community clubs.

My counter argument and remember I am not arguing South Melbourne etc is not a community club.

My counter argument is world over which is something often referred to on this forum is community clubs represent areas, and have the support of local park teams.

To embrace the broader Football market we need community clubs, and rightly or wrongly the broader Australian community have voted with their feet in supporting teams that represent areas, not migrant communities.

You can argue to the cows come home, and have a go at the short comings and failures of the latest franchise model. However, you seem unwilling to acknowledge a team where fans like you shout Hellas, Hellas , Hellas…. Has a very very very limited appeal to the broader community and a mega appeal to those that want to shout Hellas, Hellas, Hellas…

Acknowledge, your past and who established the club but to assume the broader Australian community, Broadcasters,  Government Agencies and large sponsors will embrace a migrant based community based club, when to my knowledge no other major league has a similar set up is at best poor at its worst delusional. 

My suggestion to you if you want SM back in the top professional level, is to do everything possible to take away the Hellas, Hellas, Hellas… but always acknowledge where it started.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

MSC

No hard feeling...

Enjoy...from Central Station Antwerp...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hlvRNgGOQ&ab_channel=MusicHall

Caterm
Caterm
Fan
Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)

Midfielder - 10 Mar 2021 2:16 PM
MSC

No hard feeling...

Well said Midfielder.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Midfielder - 10 Mar 2021 2:16 PM
MSC

No hard feeling...

Damn Middie, your a pretty good dancer for a bloke of your vintage.... kudos ✊
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Midfielder - 10 Mar 2021 2:00 PM
MSC
You argue that a club based around a migrant community is a community club…. further you argue that many non-members of a particular community play in these sides.  South Melbourne & Sydney United etc have had many people of all nationalities representing these clubs.

I don’t have an argument with either point, i.e. it’s a Greek or Croatian, Italian etc, community club, nor will I argue within their playing rosters many nationalities have played.

Frank Lowy, set up in 1955 a takeover in NSW of community-based teams represented by their associations for a number of new migrant clubs. They had money and they won, it spread to other states as well. When Frank Lowy and others set up the NSL again it was based on large part on migrant based community clubs.

My counter argument and remember I am not arguing South Melbourne etc is not a community club.

My counter argument is world over which is something often referred to on this forum is community clubs represent areas, and have the support of local park teams.

To embrace the broader Football market we need community clubs, and rightly or wrongly the broader Australian community have voted with their feet in supporting teams that represent areas, not migrant communities.

You can argue to the cows come home, and have a go at the short comings and failures of the latest franchise model. However, you seem unwilling to acknowledge a team where fans like you shout Hellas, Hellas , Hellas…. Has a very very very limited appeal to the broader community and a mega appeal to those that want to shout Hellas, Hellas, Hellas…

Acknowledge, your past and who established the club but to assume the broader Australian community, Broadcasters,  Government Agencies and large sponsors will embrace a migrant based community based club, when to my knowledge no other major league has a similar set up is at best poor at its worst delusional. 

My suggestion to you if you want SM back in the top professional level, is to do everything possible to take away the Hellas, Hellas, Hellas… but always acknowledge where it started.

Sorry Middie but you are not correct in assuming that the world over clubs are set up only to represnt geographic "communities" this is simply not 100% the case. All sorts of clubs (this includes soccer, clubs, basket ball clubs, lawn boals, swimming, bridge playing or even knitting clubs) are formed by like minded people who are linked by a commonality. That can be religious ie Celtic, Hakoa or Maccabi movement. Political ie St Pauli, or Real Madrid. That could be sub racial like Atletico Bilbao, or even based on a perception of working class vs toffees.. Yes often a city like London will have a 8 or 9 teams but do you think their fans are really focused on the suburban split of their location as much as they identify with the culture of the club? The clubs however change over time as does their fanbase. Do you think that there are any expat cricket fans sitting in the curva at San Siro to watch Milan these days? Or how many Boca Juniors fans are still Greek and Italian migrants from the 1890s. I dont think all Dynamo Kiev fans work at the power plant these days nor is Locomotive fandom restricted to railway workers.... but all fans respect the dna of their club, at least the clubs that have one.
I dont really understand what this 55 Lowy takover of the districts did to your leagues up there nor, to be honest, your insistence with blaming the "ethnic franchise clubs"?????  So I can't really comment on NSW, all I can tell you is that in Victoria, the once great clubs of the pre war period like Caledonians and Thistle (good ethnic names but I guess the right kind of ethnic for some huh?) are now either disbanded or have been so merged and reformed as to be no longer the same as original pre 50s ones... There are a few exceptions but not many. The surviving clubs were set up by like minded people, of the same migrant background, and mostly named after their "foreign" names you are all so scared of. That was 50 -70 years ago. 
I appreciate what you are saying about the mainly FFA media bias against our clubs but I have to disagree on the one fundamental issue we cant seem to come together on.... that is this so called "ethnicity" concern that seems to be this boogy man every "new football" acolyte seems to want to throw at us... The fans who chant "Hellas Hellas" at our games may be the sons or grandsons of migrants but they are not ALL of a Greek background anymore. Mate dont listen to what biggots like that Paul wanker say, come down for yourself one day and have a look if you dont believe me . The kids singing Hellas chants are honouring the club not necessarily their own ethnicity. Yes there are still plenty of 3rd and 4th generation Greek Australians but there are also their friends and the families of an incredibly diverse player base plus increasingly locals to the area who come out of that "geographic loyalty" you crave, and and even the one who brings a Greek flag to the games these days is cockney lad who just appreciates supporting a club with a bit of history... Not all of our sponsers are souvlaki shops or fish and chip shops any more either. 
BTW might want to talk to the Hellas Verona tifosi about their "Hellas" chant, do it in Italian though as they, like most of our supporters these days, dont actually speak Greek.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wEmNMC9hx_4
Sorry for the long winded post...yet again.... but to address your last point changing our club and what we call it to conform to some sort of " anglo saxon normalcy" is the very definition of racial discrimination. We are South Melbourne FC  Hellas a Greek Australian  soccer club open to ALL Australians, black, white, asiatic,  arabic. We dont want our club at the  top level. We want the opportunity to earn our spot there.
robbos
robbos
Pro

Midfielder - 10 Mar 2021 2:00 PM
MSC

Well said Mid, my sentiments as well.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search