The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
calciopoli
Super Fan
Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)Super Fan (146 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/05/mls-cost-for-new-team-soccer-us
i was just reading this article about the MLS, with their franchise system so obviously copied by the ffa, it makes chilling reading (especially the comments) for our hopes of a true pyramid system here.  I hope like hell the brains at the FA have a sound plan to move us beyond this system to a healthy integrated pyramid system. It would appear a mammoth undertaking but its the only way football will thrive here. 

Edited
3 Years Ago by calciopoli
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

^ yeh, this is the model we're following, everyone knows it, very few want to say it out loud.

Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

calciopoli - 8 Apr 2021 5:09 PM
I hope like hell the brains at the FA have a sound plan to move us beyond this system 

Ahahaha  thanks  calciololi  ,  I  needed  a  good  Laugh ! !
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

bettega - 8 Apr 2021 7:30 PM
^ yeh, this is the model we're following, everyone knows it, very few want to say it out loud.

Mate the message has not changed from the franchise holders, since day dot.  You can't blame them for wanting to copy the MLS ponzi scheme, it's furry ears Howard's liberal govs fault for letting  the money grubbing shopkeeper convince him this was the future.. Its us poor schlebs that want to pretend they actually give a fuck about football AS A SPORT that are deluded into believing  there is hope for the future, every few years...
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

how many of the AAFC members are genuine in joining an NSD or just signalling their support for an NSD? 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

GDeathe - 9 Apr 2021 2:39 PM
how many of the AAFC members are genuine in joining an NSD or just signalling their support for an NSD? 

Damn good question.... All 37(?) have paid at least 4K to commission the financial viability report though, which for a members based club is quite a significant outlay to just "show support"
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/05/mls-cost-for-new-team-soccer-us
i was just reading this article about the MLS, with their franchise system so obviously copied by the ffa, it makes chilling reading (especially the comments) for our hopes of a true pyramid system here.  I hope like hell the brains at the FA have a sound plan to move us beyond this system to a healthy integrated pyramid system. It would appear a mammoth undertaking but its the only way football will thrive here. 

We had a full state pyramid system for decades before the NSL and it conclusively failed.

In a resort somewhere

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

paulc - 10 Apr 2021 7:57 AM

We had a full state pyramid system for decades before the NSL and it conclusively failed.

The state leagues prior to the NSL were quite healthy.
It was this very health which encouraged them to become the first national club comp - a massive undertaking back in the day.
Some of the state league derbies back then attracted quite big crowds, certainly bigger than what WU and Macarthur are attracting at the moment.
In fact, any run-of-the-mill state league game back then was attracting a few thousand on any weekend (from 1960 to 1976).
And it wasn't just Sydney and Melbourne either.

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Until the system changes in Australia, its very simple, boycott the A-league. I was a Sydney FC member for many years but haven't been a member now for 5 or so years. I also don't watch any A-league games or interact with anything A-league. Until we have an open pyramid, I will not support our top tier. I'll put my money and time into my local club at NPL level and support our national teams when they play. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

bettega - 10 Apr 2021 12:51 PM

It was this very health which encouraged them to become the first national club comp - a massive undertaking back in the day.
Some of the state league derbies back then attracted quite big crowds, certainly bigger than what WU and Macarthur are attracting at the moment.
In fact, any run-of-the-mill state league game back then was attracting a few thousand on any weekend (from 1960 to 1976).

They were healthy in their tin pot environment, of course. They were amateurs. No one wanted to know them, except for their individual community. Sure the odd game got a few thousand but crowds were poor. Hence the introduction of the NSL. Semi professionalism raised the standard and crowds. Even then, some were in their hundreds as well, but overall were better. Having said that, the era before the NSL was quite conducive to P&R and a pyramid system but it just did not produce what the football public wanted. There was no future in stagnation.

In a resort somewhere

paulc
paulc
Legend

theFOOTBALLlover - 11 Apr 2021 2:04 AM
Until the system changes in Australia, its very simple, boycott the A-league. I was a Sydney FC member for many years but haven't been a member now for 5 or so years. I also don't watch any A-league games or interact with anything A-league. Until we have an open pyramid, I will not support our top tier. I'll put my money and time into my local club at NPL level and support our national teams when they play. 

You have the option to do want you want. Smaller leagues need dedicated supporters too so that’s good. Me, I like watching the best quality and standard available.

In a resort somewhere

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro

paulc - 11 Apr 2021 10:55 AM
theFOOTBALLlover - 11 Apr 2021 2:04 AM

You have the option to do want you want. Smaller leagues need dedicated supporters too so that’s good. Me, I like watching the best quality and standard available.

Best quality and standard? I get you.. that's why I watch European football too. ;)
paulc
paulc
Legend

theFOOTBALLlover - 11 Apr 2021 11:55 AM
paulc - 11 Apr 2021 10:55 AM

Best quality and standard? I get you.. that's why I watch European football too. ;)

Eurosnob

In a resort somewhere

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro

paulc - 16 Apr 2021 3:18 PM
theFOOTBALLlover - 11 Apr 2021 11:55 AM

Eurosnob

:laugh:

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

The reason for the snobbery is that the heads of football historically and currently, have always been ignorant or at the very least Very Slow at implementing change like transfer fees, second division and that's to start. with.
The more they line their pockets and ignore the perfect football model, therefore be inclusive to All supporters, the more the ALeague will stay on life support, or there-abouts. Selfish attitudes have the suits. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Andy Howe has a good article on attendances in the state leagues, NSL and the A-League.  It was written in 2012 so it isn't up to date but the interesting fact in all eras is the surge in attendances followed by a drought in attendances that led to the replacement of the league at the time.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/progress-built-strong-foundations

paulc
paulc
Legend

Gyfox - 17 Apr 2021 8:58 PM

Andy Howe has a good article on attendances in the state leagues, NSL and the A-League.  It was written in 2012 so it isn't up to date but the interesting fact in all eras is the surge in attendances followed by a drought in attendances that led to the replacement of the league at the time.

It reads simple, but very accurate and unbiased. Thanks for sharing.

In a resort somewhere

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

So do you predict another replacement of the league after this current drought? I mean attendances are down to final days of NSL levels.. So we've done British only soccer, then European migrant soccer,  then plastic franchise soccer, what next? I hope it includes everyone that likes the game this time, that might be fun.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Just saw a post on DailyOzFootball’s Instagram account says that Canberra appear to be in advanced discussions to join the A League in the 2022/23 season.

Good news if true. 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Heart_fan - 23 Apr 2021 6:19 PM
Just saw a post on DailyOzFootball’s Instagram account says that Canberra appear to be in advanced discussions to join the A League in the 2022/23 season.

Good news if true. 

If so, who would be a serious candidate as team 14? The entity would have to be able to attract sponsorships because we have all observed the financial history of Mariners and Jets, what a sorry situation.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

soccerfoo - 24 Apr 2021 1:39 PM
Heart_fan - 23 Apr 2021 6:19 PM

If so, who would be a serious candidate as team 14? The entity would have to be able to attract sponsorships because we have all observed the financial history of Mariners and Jets, what a sorry situation.

Honestly I’m finding it hard to see many viable options at this point. It may just be Canberra initially, but I would like to see the NSD created as a priority. Growth of the top tier can come from promotion from the NSD.

If another direct A League entry is considered, it will be interesting to see how far advanced the backers of a Gold Coast bid are. There have been some comments from them over time, but even though it’s a sizable market, it’s shown that it’s not going to be easy.

As for the commercial options in Canberra, they are going to be limited. It’s been a question mark for some times my thinking, and hoping they can tap into any corporate support that is possible. 

paulc
paulc
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 18 Apr 2021 9:45 PM

So do you predict another replacement of the league after this current drought? I mean attendances are down to final days of NSL levels.. So we've done British only soccer, then European migrant soccer,  then plastic franchise soccer, what next? I hope it includes everyone that likes the game this time, that might be fun.

Just finished watching last seasons ALeague wooden spooner vs Sydney and what a quality match. Fast, sharp and well controlled from start to finish from both sides. You’d never would have seen that standard in the NSL.

In a resort somewhere

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

paulc - 24 Apr 2021 9:01 PM

Just finished watching last seasons ALeague wooden spooner vs Sydney and what a quality match. Fast, sharp and well controlled from start to finish from both sides. You’d never would have seen that standard in the NSL.

What's a "wooden spooner"? Is that a plastic franchise thing like KFC buckets on your head?
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

paulc - 24 Apr 2021 9:01 PM

Just finished watching last years wooden spooner...actually no i didnt, they got relegated so they couldnt play last seasons champions.
Footyball
Footyball
Pro

According to ALeague Hub, Canberra will become the 13th team in 2022-23; very interesting!
Who's to be the 14th team I wonder, considering stadium situations in particular?
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

soccerfoo - 18 Jul 2021 6:24 PM
According to ALeague Hub, Canberra will become the 13th team in 2922-23; very interesting!
Who's to be the 14th team I wonder, considering stadium situations in particular?

Gong, Bris 2 or Auckland imo
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

My list of next team names
relocation
- ECU Western United FC (now at HBF Arena)

new
Canberra United
Brisbane Strikers (Apl gets the ip on the cheap)
Gold Coast United
Wollongong Wolves
Auckland City
Adelaide City
Darwin CUBS
Tasmaniacs FC
UNE New England Revolution
Geelong Galaxy
Mandurah Dolphins
CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

That tweet about Canberra is false
elksy
elksy
Hacker
Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)

CHEP - 20 Jul 2021 7:51 AM
That tweet about Canberra is false

Correct it was false, but interesting to see that the A-league for Canberra account was quite active, answering questions and the wording used, almost highlighting that they were clearly into, working on the process. Wouldn't be shocked if 2022/23 was was quoted on the tweet is the year they arrive, question is whether its a new club, number 13 or its the mariners or WU which make way for them.

News also about the Tassie backers keen to get there team in within 2-4 years, could be team number 14 with canberra, or team number 13 with Gold Coast as 14, Canberra taking a current license.
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

elksy - 20 Jul 2021 10:27 AM
CHEP - 20 Jul 2021 7:51 AM

Correct it was false, but interesting to see that the A-league for Canberra account was quite active, answering questions and the wording used, almost highlighting that they were clearly into, working on the process. Wouldn't be shocked if 2022/23 was was quoted on the tweet is the year they arrive, question is whether its a new club, number 13 or its the mariners or WU which make way for them.

News also about the Tassie backers keen to get there team in within 2-4 years, could be team number 14 with canberra, or team number 13 with Gold Coast as 14, Canberra taking a current license.

Yes they are going to remove the only regional club, which has its own COE, Stadium, youth structure and rusted on supporter, and they're going to put them in an untested market.
That just sounds stupid
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search