A-League Club Crest Re-Designs

A-League Club Crest Re-Designs

Author
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The completed set of Michael Taylor Design's redesign of the A-League is now up in full on the first post of the thread. Check it out

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

The First Division is now completed with AFC Geelong and North Queensland Fury added.

Second dvision to come next.

Canberra United - Member
Lewes FC - Owner

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Not a fan of this http://sportslogospot.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/a-league-auckland-city.html

Keep the kit th@ dark blue I like it. keep the whole kit that colour pants and shorts. chuck a small nike logo on it and give them an alternate colour instead of white for their away kit. Like yellow. something bright that kicks the league in the ass when they are playing away.

Not a fan of these SHoulder pad lines, and stripes throughout the kits. I don't even like the V on the Victory Jersey and that should be burnt into people's minds by now, just never sat right for me.

Actually if Victory wanted to remove it I think they could get away with the V in the logo sticking out in small logo on the left side of the shirt. Maybe as if like, it looks as if its protruding out of the logo, like. But who knows where you'd go from thei r with the rest of it. Obviously you wouldn't want every teams kit looking all the same. WSW is a great striped kit. Dunno what \variants they have in EPL etc although i've probably seen most. ...anyway

Edited by highkick05: 28/3/2015 09:02:05 PM

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Volrath2002 wrote:
highkick05 wrote:
Its clear that most of even the A-League kits have too much detail incorporated into the designs. But maybe that's the only way they can get sponsors on board.

Majority of the striping is stupid, diagonal stripes across the front, large weird looking shapes.. fucking awful..

What's the link Volrath2002 ?

I get your point. There are some strange looking jerseys in the A-League this season, Wellington's away jersey springs to mind, but there are also very simple jerseys thrown into the mix too, look at CCM or Brisbane Roar. I would argue even the Sydney FC home jersey is a plain pin stripe jersey, just has a woppa of an ugly sponsor on the front ( sorry webjet but bloody hell it is a shoker ). Victory's jerseys have pretty much stayed the same all along the life of the A-League with the 'V' getting ever so shorter but they again have a very akward looking major sponsor on the front of both the home and away jerseys. WSW have a very simple hoops jersey but the NRMA logo stands out more because it is larger than last season's.

I think the biggest problem with a lot of the kits comes down to not so much overall design but more how the sponsors logo's do not mesh well with the overal style of te shirt. And to that end Michael Taylor has done quite a nice job on his kits to simplify and/or clean up a lot of the front of shirt major sponsorship. He has also removed some of the clutter from the front too by moving the league crest/logo to the arm sleave. Something I know a lot of people are in favour of. By memory I think it is Australia and Austria who are the two nations who have their football leagues play with the league crest/logo on the front of kits. So I guess what I am trying to say is simply there needs to be a holistic approach to kit design, don't just design a kit and just slap on the sponsorship, crest and league logo.

This is the link to the A-League post, just look at the right hand menu to see each of the team posts: http://sportslogospot.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/a-league.html

Spot on mate, even the nike logo is way too big. Sponsors logo's probably here to stay but a lot of these A-League Jersey's would look so much better if there was 1 very tiny logo on the shorts and shirt. They are fucking everywhere and too big

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star

highkick05 wrote:
Its clear that most of even the A-League kits have too much detail incorporated into the designs. But maybe that's the only way they can get sponsors on board.

Majority of the striping is stupid, diagonal stripes across the front, large weird looking shapes.. fucking awful..

I get your point. There are some strange looking jerseys in the A-League this season, Wellington's away jersey springs to mind, but there are also very simple jerseys thrown into the mix too, look at CCM or Brisbane Roar. I would argue even the Sydney FC home jersey is a plain pin stripe jersey, just has a woppa of an ugly sponsor on the front ( sorry webjet but bloody hell it is a shoker ). Victory's jerseys have pretty much stayed the same all along the life of the A-League with the 'V' getting ever so shorter but they again have a very akward looking major sponsor on the front of both the home and away jerseys. WSW have a very simple hoops jersey but the NRMA logo stands out more because it is larger than last season's.

I think the biggest problem with a lot of the kits comes down to not so much overall design but more how the sponsors logo's do not mesh well with the overal style of te shirt. And to that end Michael Taylor has done quite a nice job on his kits to simplify and/or clean up a lot of the front of shirt major sponsorship. He has also removed some of the clutter from the front too by moving the league crest/logo to the arm sleave. Something I know a lot of people are in favour of. By memory I think it is Australia and Austria who are the two nations who have their football leagues play with the league crest/logo on the front of kits. So I guess what I am trying to say is simply there needs to be a holistic approach to kit design, don't just design a kit and just slap on the sponsorship, crest and league logo.

This is the link to the A-League post, just look at the right hand menu to see each of the team posts: http://sportslogospot.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/a-league.html

Canberra United - Member
Lewes FC - Owner

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star

wow such hate :P Chill out man, people just want to express ideas.

Anyway, Auckland FC now added.

Canberra United - Member
Lewes FC - Owner

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

ahaha, how did get the transperancy squares Adobe Photoshop typically uses for transparency, actually into the club kit design. lol

Now we have A-League players running around looking like they've been actually created straight out Photoshop!

Amateurs...

Edited by highkick05: 21/3/2015 04:40:42 PM

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Most of the A-League logo's suck balls. Why put so much detail into the logo's ? flyingigproductions.com.au is UTTER TRIPE

this: WOW , just WOW putting a soccer ball in a logo, amazing

Take a good in depth search of overseas club logos and see that a lot just have 2 things... CLUB or CLUB & FC with tiny insignia or such

two or 3 colours and your usual tones for shadows and lines.

Use of colours is also a problem especially for the team kits. Light BLUE? Mid Grey? fucking come on... who the fuck uses such bland colours for team colours. You guys have no brains, typical pragmatic black and white idiots at the top of everything in there field in Australia. You guys are fucking idiots

Get some proper art people in please, these are all shit. By art people I mean people with the gift for art, not people who haven't got a creative bone in there body sitting behind Adobe Photoshop looking at folder of downloaded copies of every other teams logos from around the world and pumping out this utter shit. So what you jag one good logo out of your ass out of 1000.

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star

New designs for Sydney FC and Wellington now up.

Canberra United - Member
Lewes FC - Owner

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star

Burztur wrote:
Love it.

Although SFC and Nix are missing as existing teams...

Yeah they are coming.

As for Canberra Athletic, I saw that crest, it was nice, I must say I was very impressed with this crest, it is simple yet very to the point uniquely Canberra. It also follows along the same lines as the W-league team. I would however pick a different name to Canberra United if it was me. I like the sounds of something a long the lines of Canberra Highlanders or something. There is already Adelaide United and Newcastle United Jets in the league.

Canberra United - Member
Lewes FC - Owner

toffeeAU
toffeeAU
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Liking the overall design process. Although to be honest, I always preferred the Canberra Athletic crest that Dale used to use.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Love it.

Although SFC and Nix are missing as existing teams...
Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star

Michael Taylor Design has launched a new project this year to re-design the A-League and then create a new tiered football system with a second and third division. He will also be adding expansion teams to the A-league as requested by "Expand the A-League" FB page.

Existing teams:

Central Coast Mariners

Melbourne Victory

Newcastle United Jets

Brisbane Roar

Adelaide United

Melbourne City

Perth Glory

Western Sydney Wanderers

Wellington Phoenix

Sydney FC

New teams:

Canberra United

Auckland City

AFC Geelong

North Queensland Fury

Tasmania United

Cairns Flying Foxes ( Was originally going to be Cairns Taipans but changed once designer was aware of the basketball team by the same name )

Sporting Fremantle

Darwin FC

Ipswich Dons

Christchurch Saints

Gold Coast United

Brisbane Strikers

Sunshine Coast Heat FC

Ballarat Red Devils

Adelaide City

Wollongong Wolves

South Melbourne

Sydney Olympic FC

Domestic Cups

"So this was included in the first post, and some of you really wanted to know about the domestic cups. The top two are the leagues. The Westfield FFA Cup currently exists, and is between all the teams in the A-League and the teams that qualify from the regional leagues. The Kiwi Cup would be a round robin between the 3 New Zealand teams.

But the State Cup is new. I had this idea very early on. The premise would be an 8 team tournament featuring one from each state and territory. The teams would qualify in their own state before the final tournament."

"Here's a breakdown of teams from the two leagues I made. Clearly the top 3 have a tougher time, but it would even out with expanded qualification from lower leagues. Just something I had an idea for, and thought I should share for the finale."

More to come.

He is also seeking ideas for clubs for the second division and third division and has put up a form you can fill out for your ideas: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1LwomQh4S_1WO21BO-LYDD5QcqulBDsxLVk6EAl1uC2k/viewform

Edited by Volrath2002: 7/3/2015 11:23:40 AM

Edited by Volrath2002: 21/3/2015 02:20:24 PM

Edited by Volrath2002: 28/3/2015 04:52:01 PM

Edited by Volrath2002: 30/3/2015 09:10:09 PM

Edited by Volrath2002: 31/3/2015 09:02:59 PM

Edited by volrath2002: 1/4/2015 11:29:11 AM

Edited by Volrath2002: 2/4/2015 10:21:15 PM

Edited by Volrath2002: 4/4/2015 04:02:50 PM

Edited by Volrath2002: 7/4/2015 09:45:42 PM

Edited by volrath2002: 14/4/2015 12:38:41 PM

Edited by volrath2002: 9/7/2015 01:42:01 PM

Edited by volrath2002: 9/7/2015 01:44:59 PM

Edited by volrath2002: 9/7/2015 01:54:40 PM

Canberra United - Member
Lewes FC - Owner

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
haha yeah the Seven staff are probably regulars there.
imonfourfourtwo
imonfourfourtwo
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

paladisious wrote:
Is that one of yours, imonfourfourtwo?

Haha, no that's funnily enough from BigFooty.

victorykicksass
victorykicksass
Rising Star
Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)Rising Star (754 reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:
Sue them!!!

"Nobody screws 7 like soccer"
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Sue them!!!

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Is that one of yours, imonfourfourtwo?

imonfourfourtwo
imonfourfourtwo
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

yoshi2284 wrote:
Hopefully Melbourne City's crest changes next year. New York City doesn't have the St George Cross on it....

But the City of Melbourne's flag does.
Roarz
Roarz
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

I think these logos are all class.

mowse wrote:

As you said, with a different font it would be better, but still awesome imo

Volrath2002 wrote:

Perfect. =d>

Volrath2002 wrote:

Class.

Edited by Roarz: 31/10/2014 01:17:40 PM

Edited by Roarz: 31/10/2014 01:21:30 PM
yoshi2284
yoshi2284
Super Fan
Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)

Hopefully Melbourne City's crest changes next year. New York City doesn't have the St George Cross on it....
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

BA81 wrote:
I made this Victory logo in the style of the VFL-era AFL badges...not to replace the current badge, but for use in (unofficial?) merch/banners etc. - let's face it, it really doesn't get any more 'Melburnian' than this:

Edited by BA81: 15/9/2014 12:55:20 PM

I see what you did there!
zander
zander
Fan
Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)

Volrath2002 wrote:
samb wrote:
Volrath2002 wrote:
Wow check this out:

Personal project by Flying Pig Productions on a brand redesign for the South Coast Wolves ( Wollongong Wolves ). As this is a possible expansion club for the A-League I thought I would add it in here.

Check out the project development stages here: http://www.flyingpigproductions.com.au/southcoastwolves/
They have various versions of the crest as well as kits for the club.

Quite interesting really.

Loving this; looks a bit cluttered but other than that Id say it surpasses the quality of most the current A-league crests.

They actually did make a simplier version with Wollongong instead of South Coast after some community feedback

"Due to concerns of the crest/logo being too busy, we made some minor changes to try to simplify the crest. We removed the Star of the NSW flag as this could be confused with stars that are used by European teams to signify wins in the Champions League, or wins in the World Cup by National teams. We also removed the 'year', moved the NSW Gov logo to replace the star and repositioned some elements. We also tried out using "Wollongong" instead of "South Coast" as it is more traditional and rolls off the tounge better."

I think the name of the club is interesting as traditionally it would be Wollongong, currently it is South Coast but it consists of all the Illawarra so really it could be any of them. From what I understand the reason for the change currently in 2013 was the old Wollongong Wolves ( formally Wollongong City FC ) went bust and the current club in technical terms is a phoenix club, I could be wrong about this but that is what I have been told.

As for the concerns about the name of South Coast it is no more confusing than Central Coast, but with the crest design they have tried to incorporate the NSW waratah as a symble to where the club comes from.

Looks more like a bear than a wolf.
eccy
eccy
Under 7s
Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)

Volrath2002 wrote:
So following on from the continued interest in the Brisbane Roar crest I thought it might be a nice idea to open a thread that covers more generally the A-League as a whole. So please post any opinions, banter and design ideas for any of the A-league clubs.

One set of redesigns that cought my eye was by Michael Taylor Design ( http://sportslogospot.blogspot.com.au/2013_04_01_archive.html ) before the start of last season ( 2013 ).

Central Coast Mariners:

"My 3rd A-League rebrand, this time the newly crowned champions. I wanted to put the logo entirely into a circle, so I ended up with a yellow and navy circle. I used powder blue as another color in addition to the main two. Instead of the wave, I put an anchor."

LOL! this central coast mariners re-brand is using THE anchor from the official CITY OF SYDNEY CREST!!!!
i agree that it looks nice though, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad for Syndey FC - if it wasn't in a circular New York subway token layout.
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

I made this Victory logo in the style of the VFL-era AFL badges...not to replace the current badge, but for use in (unofficial?) merch/banners etc. - let's face it, it really doesn't get any more 'Melburnian' than this:

Edited by BA81: 15/9/2014 12:55:20 PM

The Maco
The Maco
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

sfc0982 wrote:
concept for adelaide united, bit unsure of the church in the middle but... ideas?

cheers

I like it, clean and simple, looks a lot like Everton's crest
sfc0982
sfc0982
Under 7s
Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)

concept for adelaide united, bit unsure of the church in the middle but... ideas?

cheers

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Nice, but maybe you should try swapping the white and green, the white background is a bit 70's.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search