Multi-sport Franchises - Is this the future of the HAL ?

Multi-sport Franchises - Is this the future of the HAL ?

Author
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-19/netball-australia-confirms-new-eight-team-division-tv-deal/7427934?section=sport

Quote:
Netball Australia confirms new eight-team division and bumper broadcasting deal

Australia's five existing netball franchises will be joined by three new teams in an all-Aussie league.
Collingwood, the Melbourne Storm and Greater Western Sydney have been confirmed as the new preferred bidders for brand new franchises in Australia's revamped netball competition.

Key points:
•Australia and New Zealand to part ways from trans-Tasman competition
•Three new teams backed by Storm, Collingwood and GWS
•Five-year TV deal will see two games a week broadcast live

Netball Australia has announced a "breakthrough broadcasting deal" and three new teams to enter the new national netball league, as Australia's five current trans-Tasman franchises team up with three new teams to create a new eight-team all-Australian division.

The Melbourne Storm's licensed team will be based at their Sunshine Coast facilities in south-east Queensland, while the GWS Giants have allied with Netball NSW in their bid for a Sydney team. Collingwood's licensed team will be based in Melbourne.

The three new teams will be joined by the NSW Swifts, Melbourne Vixens, Queensland Firebirds, Adelaide Thunderbirds and the West Coast Fever.

It confirms the breakaway from New Zealand and the existing trans-Tasman arrangement, with both Australia and New Zealand's organisations agreeing to go their separate ways.

The five-year broadcasting deal with the Nine Network and Telstra will ensure live free-to-air TV coverage of two games a week for the 2017 season.

"It's time for our sport to take another leap forward, to challenge the norm, to be innovative and to take more risks," Netball Australia's chief executive Kate Palmer said at a media gathering.

"This allows more girls to be out on court ... as a result, we'll see a stronger Australian Diamonds side," Queensland Firebirds star Laura Geitz said.

"[We can now see] these wonderful women playing, this wonderful game, and know that they too can grow up and head down the path of being a professional athlete.

"I hope that we continue to encourage that message across to all of our participants coming through grass roots."

In a statement, Palmer said the broadcasting deal would provide improved pay for players, and better sponsorship and cash distribution for clubs.

"It is truly transformative. It lays the foundation for the full professionalisation of elite netball and the cementing of Australia's reputation as having the prime netball competition in the world," she said.

"At the grass roots, it will encourage participation and allow girls and young women to realise their dream of a career in netball."

Edited by View from the fence: 19/5/2016 11:16:11 AM

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Pretty sure the Vuck tried to do this in like season three or four by owning the Melbourne NBL team licence (which would later go on to become Melbourne United) but the FFA refused to allow their trademarks to cross into a rival code or something along those lines and it was knocked on the head.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Collingwood and Carlton were involved with NSL clubs- didn't really work out.
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Two of the most irrelevant competitions in world sport uniting as one...seems like a perfect fit.

A-league clubs do have franchise partnerships...it's called the W-league.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

localstar wrote:

Did have some decent players come through, especially Carlton SC. But agreed, as a general rule it was a colossal failure.
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

I've wondered this a few times in the past.

On one hand, it might feel a bit traiterous if the AFL owned an A-League franchise. But if they ultimately had the best interests in our sport, and did everything by the book without sabotage, I'd probably be okay with it.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend

MikeDude wrote:

On one hand, it might feel a bit traiterous if the AFL owned an A-League franchise. But if they ultimately had the best interests in our sport, and did everything by the book without sabotage, I'd probably be okay with it.

I reckon it could work in Geelong tbh - Geelong FC in the blue and white hoops playing out of Simonds Stadium, shared membership facilities and sponsorship opportunities.
imonfourfourtwo
imonfourfourtwo
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

walnuts wrote:
MikeDude wrote:

I reckon it could work in Geelong tbh - Geelong FC in the blue and white hoops playing out of Simonds Stadium, shared membership facilities and sponsorship opportunities.

It would be the only way to have a team in Geelong really.
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

walnuts wrote:
MikeDude wrote:

Geelong is definitely a guarantee. Huge sense of ... (well, 'patriotism' is the only word I can think of) ... here in Geelong. So having a similar brand to the Cats could work.

A different name though. And that's if the AFL was willing to do it. Which they probably won't, much like how the FFA gave the finger to them after they wanted to partner up GWS and WSW. :lol:
redsfan
redsfan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

I don't think it's "the way of the future" but it could work in the right places, it should have worked in Newcastle but instead it was a clusterfuck. With the constant increasing costs involved in sport, sharing facilites and staff is one way to help keep the costs down. I hope we see more of it in the future.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

socceroo_06 wrote:
Two of the most irrelevant competitions in world sport uniting as one...seems like a perfect fit.

Agree, and NPL clubs, and youth teams
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro

Would be people here be opposed to cross-ownership from clubs of the same code? Eg, Man City + Melb. City?

Would people be frustrated if they had a Liverpool side in Sydney? Or a Chelsea side in Melbourne? Is it a great and reliable investment, or just marketing fluff?
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

tsf wrote:
socceroo_06 wrote:

Isn't this thread about multi-sport partnerships?

Regarding Geelong. Didn't the cats indicate some form of interest in regards to a Geelong A-League franchise?

Edited by sydneyfc1987: 19/5/2016 12:20:10 PM

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

walnuts wrote:
localstar wrote:

Did have some decent players come through, especially Carlton SC. But agreed, as a general rule it was a colossal failure.

Grella and Bresciano both played for Carlton early in their careers..
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 wrote:
tsf wrote:
socceroo_06 wrote:

Regarding Geelong. Didn't the cats indicate some form of interest in regards to a Geelong A-League franchise?

The thread is, I was just talking in regards to his comment and I'm really trying to impress him so I wanted to strike up a convo.

If we have multi-sports they should be good ones. I'd pick Boxing, Skateboarding, Handball, Calcio Storico, that snow game with the cross country shooting for starters

Edited by tsf: 19/5/2016 12:27:10 PM
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro

tsf wrote:
sydneyfc1987 wrote:
tsf wrote:
socceroo_06 wrote:

The thread is, I was just talking in regards to his comment and I'm really trying to impress him so I wanted to strike up a convo.

If we have multi-sports they should be good ones. I'd pick Boxing, Skateboarding, Handball, Calcio Storico, that snow game with the cross country shooting for starters

Edited by tsf: 19/5/2016 12:27:10 PM

Don't forget Jai alai!
karta
karta
Amateur
Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)

If it didn't work in Newcastle with the long history in both sports, parochial fanbase and the amount crossover then I can't see it ever working.

This Netball announcement will help to get the new teams off the ground but I can't see the football clubs still running these teams in 5-10 years time.
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

MikeDude wrote:
Would be people here be opposed to cross-ownership from clubs of the same code? Eg, Man City + Melb. City?

Would people be frustrated if they had a Liverpool side in Sydney? Or a Chelsea side in Melbourne? Is it a great and reliable investment, or just marketing fluff?

Melbourne City is owned by CFG, not Manchester City. It is the sheik's little project, but I get your point, the FFA making it hard for CFG with additional rules won't encourage it.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend

karta wrote:
If it didn't work in Newcastle with the long history in both sports, parochial fanbase and the amount crossover then I can't see it ever working.

You're neglecting the dickhead owner element in the Newcastle failure.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Wonder if this is Collingwood, GWS and Melbourne's thinking that the AFL womens league isn't going to get off the ground?
World Class

something, something Jarrod Hayne

tsf
tsf
Legend

MikeDude wrote:

Don't forget Jai alai!

A very aesthetically pleasing sport - good suggestion

Edited by tsf: 19/5/2016 01:15:40 PM
lolitsbigmic
lolitsbigmic
World Class
World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)

Serie A club Genoa CFC. CFC being cricket and football club.
Savic
Savic
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

There's an excellent article that I read an extract from last night taken from here:

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/quarterly-edition-issue-2/

on Carlton & Collingwood in the NSL. I cant find the link where I read it though.

As a Carlton supporter at the time I was interested to read such a good write up and still a little cut too. I'm no Aussie Rules follower and I was very, very dubious of the whole thing at the start but Carlton eventually won me over, I think their heart was in the right place and they had appeal to me (that Collingwood certainly didn't). A big shame and as Lou Sticca claims, 10 years ahead of their time. They lifted the bar and had such a great squad.

phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

socceroo_06 wrote:

irrelevant in the world maybe, but arguably the most popular sport for each gender in Australia. Clearly the intention is to cross-market both games to each others fan base. That' smart, and could hurt other codes in participation and financial terms.

Kingo
Kingo
Under 7s
Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)Under 7s (12 reputation)

In Europe Football teams own basketball teams in the same colours i.e Barca
World Class

Barcelona run

FC Barcelona (Mens Football)
Futbol Club Barcelona Femení (Womens)

And just about to build a newe 12,000 seat stadium for their indoors teams
Regal FC Barcelona (Mens basketball)
UB-Barça (Women's basketball)
FC Barcelona (handball)
FC Barcelona-Institut Guttman (wheelchair basketball)
Futsal

Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Will the NZ Netball fraternity run a #savethemystix campaign? How dare Australia not try and develop NZ Netty... Those poor Kiwi girls being denied a chance to play professional Netty.
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

karta wrote:

This Netball announcement will help to get the new teams off the ground but I can't see the football clubs still running these teams in 5-10 years time.

Arguably Newcastle's support was strengthened with the Knights partnership.
Under Con's tenure things were starting to go south quick & fast.

Memberships & attendances have been very good despite having a poor side for half a decade.

Edited by aussie pride: 19/5/2016 02:28:02 PM
AzzaMarch
AzzaMarch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

azzaMVFC wrote:
Wonder if this is Collingwood, GWS and Melbourne's thinking that the AFL womens league isn't going to get off the ground?

I think you'll find that this whole little venture is purely and completely about accessing government grants related to women's sport.

They will use the cash to upgrade facilities etc, whilst paying lip-service to women's sport.

For Melbourne Storm, this is a way to grow their QLD fan base.

That is all they care about. Much like when AUFC had to give up having Coopers as a shirt sponsor so that the FFA could get govt money regarding non-promotion of alcohol products.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search