Multi-sport Franchises - Is this the future of the HAL ?

Multi-sport Franchises - Is this the future of the HAL ?

Author
Toughlove
Rising Star
Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
scott21 wrote:
Toughlove wrote:
scott21 wrote:
Toughlove wrote:

The Townsville stadium is a joke but the rednecks will love it.
scumbag

Still cut up about your Paraoos thread I see.

I'm assuming because you can read you're not from Nth Qld?

It's because you claim some moral superiority then go around abusing.

You are a creep.

You are beautiful.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Toughlove wrote:
scott21 wrote:
Toughlove wrote:

scumbag

It's because you claim some moral superiority then go around abusing.

You are a creep.
Toughlove
Toughlove
Rising Star
Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)Rising Star (825 reputation)

scott21 wrote:
Toughlove wrote:

scumbag

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Toughlove wrote:
Man City have a real nice 7000 seat stadium at their headquarters where the youth teams and the women's teams play.

Why can't they build a few of these little gems for the A-league?

Because #metrics
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

Toughlove wrote:
Man City have a real nice 7000 seat stadium at their headquarters where the youth teams and the women's teams play.

Agreed!!

See http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=116409 :lol: :lol:
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Toughlove wrote:

scumbag
Toughlove
Toughlove
Rising Star

Build one of those for your Geelong / Hobart / Darwin teams for the A2 league.
Toughlove
Toughlove
Rising Star

SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

That Townsville stadium is a joke, by my calculations it will need to average 20,000 for events to break even at current levels of use.

You'd be a surprised as to what only 5% of the $250 million budget would do to improve the already existing 1300SMILES Stadium...
WC1day
WC1day
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Netball has come a long way from paying a TV station to show its games on TV...

Better still though, we wont be subsidising the pesky KIwis to play in a joint league. That means less overseas players wanting to play in NZ and naturalise into the Kiwi team and the standard of play should be higher here and we can go back to consistently beating them.

I like watching the netball girls :) when there is nothing else on...
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

The order of magnitude in costs makes little difference in questioning the viability of the stadium without more significant tenants. Will an A-League franchise be lured into the stadium? Here's an interesting report.

Quote:
Election 2016 - Townsville stadium doesn't stack up

Labor's proposed new $250 million sports stadium in Townsville is not financially viable and will cost taxpayers half a billion dollars in its first 30 years in operation, according to a confidential business case submitted to the federal government's peak infrastructure body.

While Bill Shorten has promised $100 million for a new home for rugby league in North Queensland - to match the state Labor government's $100 million pledge - the business case found the project would not deliver a positive benefit cost ratio (BCR).

A positive BCR - where the benefits outweigh the costs - is required to receive any funding from Infrastructure Australia.

The new 25,000 seat stadium in Townsville - which would only have an estimated 13 event days a year for home games for the North Queensland Cowboys - received a rating of 0.214 in the Queensland government's business case to Infrastructure Australia, obtained by The Australian Financial Review.

That is, for every taxpayer dollar spent on the stadium it would only deliver a return of 21 cents.

The business case prepared by the Queensland Department of State Development - which has never been publicly released - is a blow to Labor's economic credentials, with critics saying Mr Shorten's support for the stadium was a populist stunt aimed at winning seats in North Queensland in the July 2 poll.

The business case, which was signed off by the Palaszczuk state government in November, found the capital cost of a new stadium was likely to be $250 million, but the full cost of the stadium over 30 years would top $530 million in 2015 dollars.

A stadium with an integrated 5800-seat entertainment centre, as preferred by the Townsville City Council, would cost $380 million to build, but slug taxpayers with $785.3 million over the same timeframe.

The sensitivity analysis found the net benefit of the stadium - the difference between the present value of the total benefits and the costs - was a $170 million loss. The economic position would improve if the stadium had multiple tenants, the report found.

The negative BCR would explain why the Palaszczuk Labor government submitted the information on the Townsville stadium to Infrastructure Australia late last year, but did not ask the federal government body for a formal assessment.

It was not on the state's priority projects list this year, but they still expect the federal government to fund almost half of it.

The business case noted public stadiums struggled to deliver a financial return to state or local governments, but there would be wider economic and social benefits for the city.

"Notwithstanding the low BCR, the business case noted that the best-practice regional stadium offers significant potential for the catalytic development in Townsville, providing activation of the surrounding area and favourable community benefit uplift," the report said.

The secret document said despite the stadium not being financially viable there were a number of social and community benefits, including "increased levels of social cohesion and well-being in the community".

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was spruiking the Townsville stadium and Mr Shorten's support in state parliament on Wednesday. They want to build the stadium by 2020.

"We know the stadium will create jobs in Townsville because Townsville is hurting," she said. "We need to see a very firm commitment from Malcolm Turnbull to the Townsville stadium because that means jobs for families."

To increase pressure on the federal Coalition to match the funding, the North Queensland Cowboys have warned they may be forced to leave Townsville within five years if the stadium is not built.

The Prime Minister has so far resisted the urge to back the populist project. Local federal Liberal National Party MP Ewen Jones said he supported the project - which he believed could be reworked to focus on urban renewal - but it should be fully-funded by the state government.

"It certainly can't be funded by Infrastructure Australia. I think it's a great project but it should be funded by the state government like they do for stadiums in south-east Queensland," Mr Jones said.

Infrastructure Partnerships Australia chief executive Brendan Lyon said the federal government would get a better return for their money and boost productivity by investing in transport projects.

"If the Queensland budget was strong the state would be able to do what Victoria and NSW do and fund it with their own money," he said.

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/election-2016--townsville-stadium-doesnt-stack-up-20160511-gosd8y

In a resort somewhere

four42
four42
Hacker
Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)

paulc wrote:
scott21 wrote:
#NorthQueenslandCowboys4A-League

Can't help to think that having a state of the art stadium like that without an A-League team just doesn't seem possible. I mean spending 300+ million for 8 NRL games and the odd rugby game doesn't seem feasible without an additional significant tenant.
it's the result of pork barrelling, but it will host 12 NRL games (plus finals), not 8, and it will likely host concerts and be able to bid for rep games in league, union & football. It's been costed at $250m, with state providing $140m, Feds $100m & the NRL $10m.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

scott21 wrote:

Can't help to think that having a state of the art stadium like that without an A-League team just doesn't seem possible. I mean spending 300+ million for 8 NRL games and the odd rugby game doesn't seem feasible without an additional significant tenant.

In a resort somewhere

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Knew we shouldnt have gotten rid of fury.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

BA81
BA81
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

walnuts wrote:
localstar wrote:
Collingwood and Carlton were involved with NSL clubs- didn't really work out.

Did have some decent players come through, especially Carlton SC. But agreed, as a general rule it was a colossal failure.

Wasn't done properly, and the idea was just a good 10-15 years ahead of its time (esp. considering the semi-pro NSL, AUS still being in Oceania etc.).

Contrary to what the naysayers believe, it's not an inherently-flawed concept. At all.

Savic wrote:
There's an excellent article that I read an extract from last night taken from here:

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/quarterly-edition-issue-2/

on Carlton & Collingwood in the NSL. I cant find the link where I read it though.

As a Carlton supporter at the time I was interested to read such a good write up and still a little cut too. I'm no Aussie Rules follower and I was very, very dubious of the whole thing at the start but Carlton eventually won me over, I think their heart was in the right place and they had appeal to me (that Collingwood certainly didn't). A big shame and as Lou Sticca claims, 10 years ahead of their time. They lifted the bar and had such a great squad.

All this. Peter Jess helping himself to the lion's share of the transfer fees for Bresch/Vinnie/Colosimo is ultimately what killed the club, make no mistake.

spfc wrote:
eggball codes are fundamentally incompatible with football on all levels, administrably as well as mentally and culturally imo

That'll change with time; it already has from where we were 20, 30+ years ago.

Edited by BA81: 23/5/2016 03:55:19 PM

Timmo
Timmo
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

redsfan wrote:
The Geelong example is a good one, tapping into parochialism is the idea of having a multi-sport club. In somewhere like Adelaide or Melbourne, partnering with an AFL club is one way of dividing and limiting a fan base, especially in Adelaide where there is a large divide.
It may work for a new Adelaide team to link up with an AFL club to try and pickup a fan base but for AUFC to pick a side would be stupid.
But linking up with other codes with one team in town would work, the mens and womens basketball teams are both long established teams with success but have struggled off field at times, same with the netball team. Add in the baseball and ice hockey and you have a bunch of clubs that could benefit greatly by shared admin/medical/training to not only reduce cost but get a better service in those areas.
Has the ability for sponsors to get better access to a larger audience and allows the smaller clubs access to bigger sponsors.
But like many things it's easier to say than do.

Have to disagree with this many crows and port supporters support Adelaide United as is and I think aligning themselves with for example Port (since the crows come off as a state team as is) won't work. South Australia like Western Australia need to build rivalries that works for Football not the AFL.

If ever a new club came in for Adelaide it will be one of the more established NPL clubs and on current form and tension I can't go past Adelaide City at the moment being honest but that may be a while down the track or will be dictated on whether a NPL second division gets off the ground.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

adrtho wrote:
walnuts wrote:
adrtho wrote:
whats a AFL underage system? you mean just playing jr Aussie rules and being selected good enough for the state team?

Not quite - it's the TAC Cup. Basically a whole host of 'academy clubs' around Victoria where the best local talent is concentrated and then play against each other. It's a massive recruitment stage into the AFL, usually starts around age 15 for most boys (which is ironically where football experiences a large drop off of players). They spend three years in this system in the hope they get selected to go to draft camp and hopefully be drafted when they're 18. It's a full on program, where they're training 3-4 times a week with games across the state on Saturdays - no way these boys would be capable of playing football at any meaningful level on a Sunday.

I appreciate that if a boy is physically fit he would be an attractive proposition to transition to football (Leckie anyone?) but the elite level players are born with a football at their feet - simple as that. Look at the elite players throughout history in football and they won't have done anything more in other sports other than for a bit of fun at school.

i know TAC cup, i thought it was 17-18 year olds...since when did they start taking 15 year olds?

For as long as I can remember - they usually start in the system at year 9 which is 15/16.
karta
karta
Amateur
Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)Amateur (587 reputation)

You'd think that any potential suiters would be immediately turned off by AFL advances simply because of the entrenched culture of match-fixing and mass doping of players in the AFL.

If both teams are run by the same people you'd have to question how likely that certain things like squad doping only happen with the AFL team and how seperate the A-League team would be from it.
adrtho
adrtho
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

walnuts wrote:
adrtho wrote:
whats a AFL underage system? you mean just playing jr Aussie rules and being selected good enough for the state team?

Not quite - it's the TAC Cup. Basically a whole host of 'academy clubs' around Victoria where the best local talent is concentrated and then play against each other. It's a massive recruitment stage into the AFL, usually starts around age 15 for most boys (which is ironically where football experiences a large drop off of players). They spend three years in this system in the hope they get selected to go to draft camp and hopefully be drafted when they're 18. It's a full on program, where they're training 3-4 times a week with games across the state on Saturdays - no way these boys would be capable of playing football at any meaningful level on a Sunday.

I appreciate that if a boy is physically fit he would be an attractive proposition to transition to football (Leckie anyone?) but the elite level players are born with a football at their feet - simple as that. Look at the elite players throughout history in football and they won't have done anything more in other sports other than for a bit of fun at school.

i know TAC cup, i thought it was 17-18 year olds...since when did they start taking 15 year olds?
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

adrtho wrote:

adrtho
adrtho
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

walnuts wrote:
adrtho wrote:
i think kids, who play many different sport, end up being better football players

Depends - if they're playing them in the school yard then sure. However, if you've got a kid who has been in the AFL underage system his whole life, and then decides at 17 to play football, I doubt he'd be better than the kid who has been playing football since birth.

he would be, if he can run 40 meters in sec 4.40 sec ,and 12 min 4km run

you can play Jr Aussie rules on Saturday and Jr football on Sunday

walnuts
walnuts
Legend

adrtho wrote:
i think kids, who play many different sport, end up being better football players

Depends - if they're playing them in the school yard then sure. However, if you've got a kid who has been in the AFL underage system his whole life, and then decides at 17 to play football, I doubt he'd be better than the kid who has been playing football since birth.
adrtho
adrtho
World Class

Nachoman wrote:
lukerobinho wrote:
[quote=scott21]If you dont follow AFL and live in Melbourne arent you considered a social outcast?

This probably was the main reason post war immigrants chose to drop football.

More like , you couldnt call yourself a real australian if you didnt follow an AFL team... Even in the 80's/90's this was being rammed down our throat ( and I was a kid )

and today it is , your not a real football support if you like the AFL

I like AFL, I like basketball, i like cricket, i like swimming, i like cycling , i like Tennis, I like Golf , I like football,

kavorka
kavorka
Amateur
Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)

Definitely a no.

Football is a global sport whereas AFL, netball etc are small insular sports that are trying to stay relevant as the world marches towards globalisation.

Aside from that, I think it also increases a club's exposure to trouble. For example, say an AFL side (like a Geelong) made a million dollar loss, you will quickly find out where the owners loyalties would lie when it comes to priorities and fixing things.

I see this happens in Europe with football basketball and volleyball under one franchise, and tbh i've never liked it....it just seems very weird.

Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

lukerobinho wrote:
[quote=scott21]If you dont follow AFL and live in Melbourne arent you considered a social outcast?

More like , you couldnt call yourself a real australian if you didnt follow an AFL team... Even in the 80's/90's this was being rammed down our throat ( and I was a kid )
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

lukerobinho wrote:

Source ?

Quote:
Birthplace   No. of arrivals
July 1949 - June 2000[20]   July 1949 - June 1959[21]   July 1959 - June 1970[22]   July 1970 - June 1980
1 United Kingdom & Ireland   1,787,449(31.6%)   419,946 (33.5%)   654,640 (45.3%)   342,373 (35.8%)
2 Italy   390,810 (6.9%)   201,428 (16.1%)   150,669 (10.4%)   28,800 (3.0%)
3 New Zealand   371,683 (6.6%)   29,649 (2.4%)   30,341 (2.1%)   58,163 (6.1%)
4 Germany   255,930 (4.5%)   162,756 (13.0%)   50,452 (3.5%)   not in top 10
5 Greece   220,603 (3.9%)   55,326 (4.4%)   124,324 (8.6%)   30,907 (3.2%)
6 Yugoslavia
(Yugoslavia recorded until 1994 –95 inclusive)   206,554 (3.7%)   not in top 10   94,555 (6.5%)   61,283 (6.4%)

Look at the numbers. The second line is pretty compelling between 49-59 approx 850k came from UK, Ireland, Italy and Germany (with 55k from Greece). That is a lot of people who had never heard of footy. Granted they were spread through out the country but still.

Australias population 1959 was 10 million. So not including deaths etc 1 in 10 was an immigrant.

Edited by scott21: 22/5/2016 02:07:27 AM
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

scott21 wrote:
If you dont follow AFL and live in Melbourne arent you considered a social outcast?

Source ?
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

If you dont follow AFL and live in Melbourne arent you considered a social outcast?

RDSA
RDSA
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)Hardcore Fan (217 reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:
Mister Football wrote:
azzaMVFC wrote:
aussie pride wrote:
GWS would be desperate to flog off any type of merchandise and try and tap into a female supporter base as they sure as hell dont have one now.

GWS CEO Dave Matthews was on SEN this morning. Reckons that 40% of their members are women. Find it hard to believe but that's what he said. My guess is that 39% of those members would have been handed a free membership.

The same thing right across the AFL, at least 40% of all members are women. I'm not really sure why anyone would find that hard to believe. It's the biggest football league in the land because it attracts a large cross-section of society (both genders, multi-generational, ethnic diversity, etc).

lol

pretty sure waleed aly goes to afl matches, so technically MF is right

Edited by RDSA: 21/5/2016 09:25:09 PM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search