Australian News/Events Thread

Australian News/Events Thread

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 1:20 PM
Munrubenmuz - 6 Jun 2017 12:50 PM

I wouldn't dare to prove you wrong. But I might have a straight jacket for you instead. lol

As expected you can't.  (Which was no surprise.)

Nor can you prove your God exists.

Atheists aren't ignorant.  In it's simplest form it is somebody that doesn't believe in a God or a higher power.  

You don't need a masters in Theology to become an 'informed' atheist.  A simple non belief will do.

Besides "when you're an atheist every Friday is a good Friday and no one has to die".

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Aljay - 6 Jun 2017 10:43 AM
The incident in Melbourne raises the same questions as the reporting of the Manchester bomber and the failure of police to take action - what's the point if the government won't/isn't allowed to repatriate them. It's too late once they have already commited multiple murders.Putting them on the watch list, searching their apartment and having a "deradicalisation" D&M can only do so much. Putting them on a plane in handcuffs does a lot more.

Welcome to Victoria. The nanny state... where you get in trouble for every little thing but when it comes down to the punishment... you get a hug.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 6 Jun 2017 9:34 PM
mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 1:20 PM

As expected you can't.  (Which was no surprise.)

Nor can you prove your God exists.

Atheists aren't ignorant.  In it's simplest form it is somebody that doesn't believe in a God or a higher power.  

You don't need a masters in Theology to become an 'informed' atheist.  A simple non belief will do.

Besides "when you're an atheist every Friday is a good Friday and no one has to die".

It doesn't prove a thing.

I can't disprove anyone's lunacy. All I can do is provide a straight jacket as I told you. There are people who believe in Aliens and Alien Abductions. There are some people who continue to believe that the earth is flat, which can be proven that it isn't.

The point is, you can't argue with someone that isn't all there. No matter how many times you show them that the earth is round, and that man landed on the moon, they will go on and on about it being a grand hoax and conspiracy. 

As for my Christian beliefs, I have actually seen enough evidence to convince me of a higher spirit we call God. I have traveled far and wide, witnessed real life myracles and things I can't explain from stigmata, to poisonous snakes being carried into a Church by the Parishioners on the Virgin's Feast Day, to people going into remission from terminal cancer, icons that weep blood from behind a glass, to an icon that blinds you, and I have also had a near death experience and seen a presence. But of course, many people will not believe me so I don't say anything. However, most of these experiences are actually open to anyone willing to explore for themselves. We are not a secret society. I absolutely encourage, even Atheists to travel to Israel and explore these important matters, and also to go to the Holy Mountain - Mount Athos. You will need a permit to get there as they only let 10 non Orthodox pilgrims to visit there. Last year, a CNN crew went there and so did Morgan Freeman. All of them said that it had changed their life for the better, and also there thinking. I believe Morgan Freeman actually converted to Orthodoxy. 

Anyhow, I digress and I think we were warned by one of the mods about talking about this. I don't mind talking with you about it, and it's an interesting topic, so if you want, start a thread with this as the subject and we will continue there. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 6 Jun 2017 4:34 PM
BETHFC - 6 Jun 2017 4:30 PM

That would come up under the microscope too. Also, a disgruntled employee which does not support that particular party will squeal, and then the game is up for this particular corporation.

Also, perhaps introduce some heavy fines to those who try and subvert the laws. 

Fines are all well and good but you have to catch them first (costs money) and then go through a process to implement the fine (more money).

Lose lose situation I feel.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Bolt Punches Protestors

I don't have a lot of time for Andrew Bolt but reading this amuses me greatly. Let the man release his book you fascist ferals :laugh:
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

BETHFC - 7 Jun 2017 9:24 AM
Bolt Punches Protestors

I don't have a lot of time for Andrew Bolt but reading this amuses me greatly. Let the man release his book you fascist ferals :laugh:

Fucking idiots. Basically playing right into Bolt's anti-left agenda here.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 7 Jun 2017 9:55 AM

And despite their attack, they ended up legging it, 3 on 1, surprise attack, in a suit.

I would hand myself in for being an utter failure.

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I've never paid much attention to Bolt, but my respect for him has just gone up.
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
sydneyfc1987 - 7 Jun 2017 9:55 AM

Yep fuckwits.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Yup proves his points straight away.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Posted without comment

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/sydney-counterterrorism-raids-jihadis-plotted-meat-mincer-bomb-attack-to-blow-up-flight/news-story/adc1491aa8be75032a94dde8f957f517
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

lol how/why would you get or take a kitchen mincer onto a flight ffs

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

LNP tearing themselves at the seams again over SSM.

Looks like if you're a female and wanna go to Uni you're spot on to get raped according to all the hysteria on ABC today.

EDIT: Sexually assaulted. There is a difference and I acknowledge that. 

-PB

Edited
7 Years Ago by paulbagzFC
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 1 Aug 2017 3:14 PM
LNP tearing themselves at the seams again over SSM.

Looks like if you're a female and wanna go to Uni you're spot on to get raped according to all the hysteria on ABC today.

EDIT: Sexually assaulted. There is a difference and I acknowledge that. 

-PB

According to the ABC, I was sexually assaulted this morning when another man looked at me and it made me feel uncomfortable.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

vanlassen - 7 Aug 2017 9:44 AM

According to the ABC, I was sexually assaulted this morning when another man looked at me and it made me feel uncomfortable.

Haha best comment

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

vanlassen - 7 Aug 2017 9:44 AM

It's only a small part in this social engineering campaign. 

We haven't scratched thew surface either. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Catholic Church in Melbs coming out and saying they might fire employees if they get legally married as a same sex couple.

-PB

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

I think they should be allowed to marry. But, that individuals and churches have the right to refuse to do it and not be charged with discrimination.

sokorny
sokorny
Pro

scott21 - 22 Aug 2017 4:32 PM
I think they should be allowed to marry. But, that individuals and churches have the right to refuse to do it and not be charged with discrimination.

As stated under current laws in Australia a church can refuse to marry people on a myriad of issues (that normally would be illegally under discrimination laws) due to exemptions in those laws (maybe in the other Australian politics thread??).

I think this is where people get confused. It is not a matter of children as adoption and child protection laws are completely separate to the Marriage Act. Similarly the Anti-Discrimination laws are separate to the Marriage Act (and already give exemption on religious matters).
lollywood
lollywood
Amateur
Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)Amateur (703 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Vote No. 

You know Australia  will despite the left wing fascists who will probably riot & attempt to blow up something Christian despite those of the Islamic faith who hold very firm beliefs on gay marriage will all vote no.  Of course because the left wing fascists are conveniently using those of the Islamic faith to further their sick fuck anti freedom agenda they won't say a word against their Islamic brothers who will get the no vote over the line.  

Vote No.  

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

sokorny - 23 Aug 2017 12:00 PM
scott21 - 22 Aug 2017 4:32 PM

As stated under current laws in Australia a church can refuse to marry people on a myriad of issues (that normally would be illegally under discrimination laws) due to exemptions in those laws (maybe in the other Australian politics thread??).

I think this is where people get confused. It is not a matter of children as adoption and child protection laws are completely separate to the Marriage Act. Similarly the Anti-Discrimination laws are separate to the Marriage Act (and already give exemption on religious matters).

But what of the individual?
A person that performs marriages as a job outside a religious institution may they deny a couple their service? I think they should be able to say no in this instance. 

The murky area is whether a venue, cake maker, suit hire etc can say no because people will be against and it will challenge their views. The argument could be that there are other places that will sell you that service so go there.

As for the church thing, I look at the country I live in - 
No priest working for the Church of Sweden should be allowed to refuse to wed same-sex couples, Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven said in an interview with a church newspaper.
Interviewed by the Church of Sweden's newspaper Kyrkans Tidning, the Social Democrat prime minister compared priests who refuse to wed same-sex couples with midwives refusing to carry out abortions.

"Us Social Democrats work to ensure that all priests should wed all people, including same-sex couples. If you are a midwife you either have to carry out abortions, or you have to find another profession. The same goes for priests who do not want to wed homosexuals," Löfven told the paper.
'All priests should wed same-sex couples': Swedish PM - The Local

This will happen in Australia also. If the act is passed, the left will push for a change in the marriage act. Because of what lollywood says, the destruction of the nuclear family, loss of freedom and destroy christianity are their goals...

Aljay
Aljay
Pro

Lollywood,

"You know Australia will despite the left wing fascists who will probably riot & attempt to blow something up"

you mean like the attempted suicide-bombing of the Australian Christian Lobby head office last December?
sokorny
sokorny
Pro

scott21 - 23 Aug 2017 3:13 PM
sokorny - 23 Aug 2017 12:00 PM

But what of the individual?
A person that performs marriages as a job outside a religious institution may they deny a couple their service? I think they should be able to say no in this instance. 

The murky area is whether a venue, cake maker, suit hire etc can say no because people will be against and it will challenge their views. The argument could be that there are other places that will sell you that service so go there.

As for the church thing, I look at the country I live in - 
No priest working for the Church of Sweden should be allowed to refuse to wed same-sex couples, Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven said in an interview with a church newspaper.
Interviewed by the Church of Sweden's newspaper Kyrkans Tidning, the Social Democrat prime minister compared priests who refuse to wed same-sex couples with midwives refusing to carry out abortions.

"Us Social Democrats work to ensure that all priests should wed all people, including same-sex couples. If you are a midwife you either have to carry out abortions, or you have to find another profession. The same goes for priests who do not want to wed homosexuals," Löfven told the paper.
'All priests should wed same-sex couples': Swedish PM - The Local

This will happen in Australia also. If the act is passed, the left will push for a change in the marriage act. Because of what lollywood says, the destruction of the nuclear family, loss of freedom and destroy christianity are their goals...

Australia has an anti-discrimination law that already gives religions exemptions for marriage, so doesn't matter if the marriage act changes the anti-discrimination law would also have to remove religious exemptions (which is a completely different matter) and unlikely to happen (then people not of that denomination would also have to married by that religion as otherwise it would be discrimination).

In regards to the individual, no they can't discriminate. That is why we have anti-discrimination laws in Australia. You would have to repeal the anti-discrimination laws to allow the businesses to discriminate against consumers (which then allows them to not serve people because they are black, Asian, different religion, atheists, disabled etc. etc.)
sokorny
sokorny
Pro

lollywood - 23 Aug 2017 12:11 PM
Vote No. 

You know Australia  will despite the left wing fascists who will probably riot & attempt to blow up something Christian despite those of the Islamic faith who hold very firm beliefs on gay marriage will all vote no.  Of course because the left wing fascists are conveniently using those of the Islamic faith to further their sick fuck anti freedom agenda they won't say a word against their Islamic brothers who will get the no vote over the line.  

Vote No.  

Wouldn't allowing same sex marriage be seen as gaining freedoms for the individual?

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

sokorny - 24 Aug 2017 10:38 AM
lollywood - 23 Aug 2017 12:11 PM

Wouldn't allowing same sex marriage be seen as gaining freedoms for the individual?

Depends

If you are forcing priests to marry gay couples then you are not impeding religious freedom? 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

sokorny
sokorny
Pro

sydneyfc1987 - 24 Aug 2017 12:52 PM

Depends

If you are forcing priests to marry gay couples then you are not impeding religious freedom? 

Why would priests be forced to marry couples that don't follow their religious dogma?? They already don't allow this, why would this change afterwards??
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

sokorny - 24 Aug 2017 1:00 PM

Why would priests be forced to marry couples that don't follow their religious dogma?? They already don't allow this, why would this change afterwards??

This.

-PB

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

You are incredibly naive if you don't there will be a push to change that. As Scott21 pointed out they are pushing it in Sweden.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Depends

Yeah.

I got married in Australia, to a woman. I found a guy to marry us, thorugh a church. The guy was a pastor, but not head pastor. He married us and we got to choose how much "god" we wanted, from zero to much. This was his private company/business. 

I would not want him forced to perform gay weddings if he didnt see fit. 

I can agree with venues (outside of religous ownerships), restuarants, florists, but not the individual. Why? Because there wont be a shortage of people willing to perfom them any way and state/government should also perform them. Its not like it will be legal but no one will do it. 

If someone can prove membership or connection to church or mosque or temple etc they should be able to say no. Ottherwise I would vote no. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
sydneyfc1987 - 24 Aug 2017 1:37 PM

You are incredibly naive if you don't there will be a push to change that. As Scott21 pointed out they are pushing it in Sweden.

For the church of Sweden, the state religion. Pretty different scenario.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search