The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

Author
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Good to see Deng (20), Josh Hope 20 and Theo (18) all on the pitch at the end against Kawasaki. Nigro (21) too till he subbed off. The club really does need some fresh faces so it's a good thing we have the ACL to give these guys a good go.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Kev's  subs paid off. King Kenny slowly showing he is a capable striker 
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Theoharous is a future Socceroo, I guarantee it. The raw speed and ability to beat players at such a young age is a combination young Australian players rarely possess.

Edited
6 Years Ago by 433
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Should contact and start to plant seeds for a contract -

But isn't it true that you almost didn't become a footballer? We've read that you were a very promising basketball player, and also thought of becoming a travel writer!

You're right! I was pretty good at basketball when I was young, and I had to choose between basketball and football… maybe you could have been talking with an NBA player now! With regards to the travel writing, I love traveling around the world and taking pictures. I would love to go to Australia and travel with a backpack for three months. I have heard it can sometimes be dangerous, but I don't think so. That is my dream.

Javi Martinez: ′My dream is to backpack in Australia′ | Sports| German football and major international sports news | DW | 13.03.2018

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

How good were the kids? Hope, Deng and Theoharous were all excellent last night.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
walnuts - 14 Mar 2018 8:17 AM
How good were the kids? Hope, Deng and Theoharous were all excellent last night.

Agree.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

I find we play better when going up against higher quality teams (ACL/Sydney), but play worse against poor teams (Nix/CCM).

Weird af.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
paulbagzFC - 14 Mar 2018 11:56 AM
I find we play better when going up against higher quality teams (ACL/Sydney), but play worse against poor teams (Nix/CCM).

Weird af.

-PB

We're just inconsistent AF against all teams. On our day i'd back us to beat anyone, but we just can't make things click consistently. 

Can't be overstated how much it hurts not ever having two natural full backs on the pitch, it narrows our play so much until we get to the final 3rd, and doesn't let us consistently put teams under pressure. 

It's a shame we never got to see Millsy and Antonis together, it really would have allowed Troisi more license to play his best role as more of a second striker. 
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Deng looks like he will make a good rb in time. He has improved massively in that position as he plays more games there. I want to see more of Theo and Hope, they will both have the ability to be great players one day.
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

At the game last night, the way that Deng carries himself off the ball is very impressive. he seemed to be the only player in the back four making sure everyone was in-line and pushed up. I thought he was shoe in for MOTM.

Hope was very energetic when he came on, very impressed with his handling skills and bursts out of tight areas.

Theo was very direct and gave their defenders something different to think about. 

Nigro was a bit shaky at times and made a pretty bad mistake which is why he got subbed off, but otherwise still good to see him play over Sanchez.

I though Athiu was pretty influential, they couldn't handle him for periods, and was instantly more effective than Berisha.

All in all very impressed by Victory Last night. Albeit in front of a pretty low crowd the atmosphere was brilliant in the last 10 mins.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Bocca - 14 Mar 2018 12:13 PM
Deng looks like he will make a good rb in time. He has improved massively in that position as he plays more games there. I want to see more of Theo and Hope, they will both have the ability to be great players one day.

i actually feel a lot more rejuvenated by the enthusiasm of the kids. So glad many of them are getting a go. Deng has been very impressive at FB. Hope has some serious talent. Theo too of course. I still think Nigro isn't getting a fair go and should be picked ahead of Broxy every day of the week. 
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Muscat re-signed for another 2 years. How very whelming. Was hoping both parties would look to be more adventurous, Kev look at getting a gig o/s and us really look to raise the bar set by Arnie. In such a young league (and in football generally anyway) those who don't constantly try to improve and push forward, sometimes at risk, will start to get left behind. I feel our stability is starting to become stagnancy.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Quickly become Arsenal at this rate
sanchez
sanchez
Pro

walnuts - 15 Mar 2018 1:34 PM
Quickly become Arsenal at this rate

Excellent analogy. Spot on.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I was a massive critic before he started by all in all he has done a good job over the years. He is frustrating with decisions (Or lack of) sometimes, but he's one of the country's best coaches and his domestic record, ability to attract players and also ability to put players in the shop window - sometimes against their wishes lol - is good. 

It's more of a meh decision, we could perhaps do better but do a lot worse. Personally I wouldn't care if we parted ways but it's not liek he is a disaster

Anyway, I am going to hop off the fence. 

walnuts
walnuts
Legend

sanchez - 15 Mar 2018 1:37 PM
walnuts - 15 Mar 2018 1:34 PM

Excellent analogy. Spot on.

Big club, early success with a manager who plays an exciting style of football with some genuinely good players, becomes a favourite of the board, gameplay gets found out yet still qualify for the top of the table and continental championships, other big clubs spend big and surpass us completely whilst manager insists that things are just 'bad luck' whilst the club continues to rely on past glories, keep sliding down the table, players leaving the club mid-season with no adequate replacement etc etc etc

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
walnuts - 15 Mar 2018 1:42 PM
sanchez - 15 Mar 2018 1:37 PM

Big club, early success with a manager who plays an exciting style of football with some genuinely good players, becomes a favourite of the board, gameplay gets found out yet still qualify for the top of the table and continental championships, other big clubs spend big and surpass us completely whilst manager insists that things are just 'bad luck' whilst the club continues to rely on past glories, keep sliding down the table, players leaving the club mid-season with no adequate replacement etc etc etc

I'm sorry, but as an Arsenal fan this is a ridiculous analogy. He's had one down year, but in 3 full seasons he's made 2 grand finals, and was an inch away from winning both of them.

We were literally in the Grand Final last season, and I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the Grand Final again this year.  

Players leaving and not being replaced has far more to do with the A-League infrastructure then it does Muscat, it's not something you can pin on him. 

You can pin
- Inadequate squad make up
- Tactical inflexibility

On him. 

I mean don't get me wrong I would have preferred  someone fresh next season, but Muscat's tenure doesn't need to be denigrated to get that point across. 

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

tsf - 15 Mar 2018 1:40 PM
I was a massive critic before he started by all in all he has done a good job over the years. He is frustrating with decisions (Or lack of) sometimes, but he's one of the country's best coaches and his domestic record, ability to attract players and also ability to put players in the shop window - sometimes against their wishes lol - is good. 

It's more of a meh decision, we could perhaps do better but do a lot worse. Personally I wouldn't care if we parted ways but it's not liek he is a disaster

Anyway, I am going to hop off the fence. 

Sums up all my thoughts. Could easily have gone to a Magilton 2.0 without even knowing it.

Just need him to sign some players and be a bit more flexible with his strategies and subs.

Really not keen on Troisi taking marquee cash next season though. 

-PB

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

reckon Kev has slightly tweaked the system and its working. we've been causing teams problems on the counter in recent weeks.  
walnuts
walnuts
Legend

Feed_The_Brox - 19 Mar 2018 9:42 AM
reckon Kev has slightly tweaked the system and its working. we've been causing teams problems on the counter in recent weeks.  

Getting Donachie back in the hreat of defence has helped - no offence to Deng, but he's not better than Donachie. Combine this with Antonis coming into really good form (seriously, the guy is a machine) and it's opening up space for the front three to actually work.

Kev does need to sign some fullbacks to get the most out of our system (rumours circulating that Corey Brown from the Roar is all but a done deal) though.
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Antonis helps us to play differently as he acts more like a box to box midfielder than either Sanchez or Valeri. We are much more fluid in attack when Antonis is playing. Starting two DMs worked well last night as we just played on the counter. Our counters definitely look faster than earlier in the season.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Things are working at the right time for us, not to mention Sydney falling to bits. The actual chance we can deny them the Premiership in the final round is almost as good as winning it ourselves. Actually, the fact that it's away might make it even better.

We have a real impetus to beat City to 3rd place and mount a serious challenge on the Finals, and of course, the form coming good in time for the vital Ulsan away and SIPG home games.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

paladisious - 20 Mar 2018 12:14 AM
Things are working at the right time for us, not to mention Sydney falling to bits. The actual chance we can deny them the Premiership in the final round is almost as good as winning it ourselves. Actually, the fact that it's away might make it even better.

We have a real impetus to beat City to 3rd place and mount a serious challenge on the Finals, and of course, the form coming good in time for the vital Ulsan away and SIPG home games.

Should get 3rd, can definately at least get back to the grand final..can just as easily get dumped in the elimination final. The wanderers are the only real half threat from the shit teams.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Surely we won't have both Troisi AND Berisha on marquee money next season :/

-PB

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

paulbagzFC - 22 Mar 2018 7:42 AM
Surely we won't have both Troisi AND Berisha on marquee money next season :/

-PB

i thought Bes was supposed to be under the cap? AS good as Leroy is, we need to keep him under the cap. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Bocca - 19 Mar 2018 12:22 PM
Antonis helps us to play differently as he acts more like a box to box midfielder than either Sanchez or Valeri. We are much more fluid in attack when Antonis is playing. Starting two DMs worked well last night as we just played on the counter. Our counters definitely look faster than earlier in the season.

Well said.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

No Kosta next week, hopefully Theo will start lol

-PB

Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Is Deng likely to remain first choice RB next season, or does Muscat see him as more of a CB so would likely sign an out-and-out wing back in the offseason?
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Bowden - 1 Apr 2018 5:31 PM
Is Deng likely to remain first choice RB next season, or does Muscat see him as more of a CB so would likely sign an out-and-out wing back in the offseason?

Kev will play him as a rb . As his progression has been good. He might end up as a cb but like geria he has impressed as a full back .
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Storm roux signing on for next year
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search