The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

Author
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
sanchez - 27 Feb 2017 3:15 PM
Theoharous has signed as a Scholarship Player, whatever that is, which means he is eligible to play seniors. Guessing that means FBK is #gone with this news.

(On my phone sorry about the link)
http://www.melbournevictory.com.au/article/melbourne-victory-signs-christian-theoharous-as-scholarship-player/15xock17ixi7f1if9kze0rwbwm

Good question - I presume it's some sort of cap exemption spot.

Best of luck to the lad, definitely appears to put the nail in the coffin for FBK :(
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

walnuts - 27 Feb 2017 3:26 PM
sanchez - 27 Feb 2017 3:15 PM

Good question - I presume it's some sort of cap exemption spot.

Best of luck to the lad, definitely appears to put the nail in the coffin for FBK :(

From what little we've (well me at least) seen of him, seems to be a gun. Just sucks about FBK.
loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

I have a feeling it's got more to do with him turning 17 recently and not wanting a rehash of the Pasquali shamozzle than anything to do with FBK tbh.
Brenton1986
Brenton1986
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

433 - 26 Feb 2017 3:20 PM
Was reading a Fox Sports Football article which said 

Victory would have to stop dead to stand any chance of falling out of the top two, meaning a home semi-final - most likely at Etihad Stadium on Friday, April 28 - is all but assured.

Is this confirmed? I've got plans for something the day after but can't go if the match is scheduled on Sat the 29th. Anyone else heard about the semi scheduling?

if its a home semi final against Brisbane Roar or Western Sydney Wanderers it won't be scheduled on Friday April 28th at all due to Brisbane Roar and Western Sydney Wanderers both coming back from Bangkok and Saitama from AFC Champions League fixtures where both of them play on Wednesday April 26th and they won't return home back to their respective cities til Friday April 28th.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Brenton1986
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

paladisious - 26 Feb 2017 6:42 PM

Fortunately for you, there's AFL on at Docklands on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th, so unless they hold it at AAMI you're safe with the Friday.

For once, thank you AFL 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

loki - 27 Feb 2017 3:49 PM
I have a feeling it's got more to do with him turning 17 recently and not wanting a rehash of the Pasquali shamozzle than anything to do with FBK tbh.

This. The club cant be seen to lose another player like pasquali again. So offering theo a scholarship  deal makes sense. Means if a o/s want him they will need to pay dispensation
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 27 Feb 2017 4:58 PM
loki - 27 Feb 2017 3:49 PM

This. The club cant be seen to lose another player like pasquali again. So offering theo a scholarship  deal makes sense. Means if a o/s want him they will need to pay dispensation

What even is the Scholarship deal? As in would that even be considered a senior contract? Regardless of the why or the what, didn't realise he was only (just) 17, looked really good in his pre season cameos. Wonder if we will look to refresh with some more youth come next season.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

sanchez - 27 Feb 2017 5:43 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 27 Feb 2017 4:58 PM

What even is the Scholarship deal? As in would that even be considered a senior contract? Regardless of the why or the what, didn't realise he was only (just) 17, looked really good in his pre season cameos. Wonder if we will look to refresh with some more youth come next season.

Basically a youth deal . But different .
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Fortunately for you, there's AFL on at Docklands on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th, so unless they hold it at AAMI you're safe with the Friday.

in recent years the top placed team has been rewarded with the Friday night home semi final. if the FFA is consistent, Sydney would get it this year and we get an AAMI park semi final (I remember cracking the sh!ts big time last year when we were told we'd have to back up in Adelaide on the Friday night 3 days after playing in China had we beaten Brisbane). but in saying that, the only thing that talks to the FFA is money, so you can take it to the bank that our semi final will be at Etihad on the Friday.

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 28 Feb 2017 9:20 AM

in recent years the top placed team has been rewarded with the Friday night home semi final. if the FFA is consistent, Sydney would get it this year and we get an AAMI park semi final (I remember cracking the sh!ts big time last year when we were told we'd have to back up in Adelaide on the Friday night 3 days after playing in China had we beaten Brisbane). but in saying that, the only thing that talks to the FFA is money, so you can take it to the bank that our semi final will be at Etihad on the Friday.

I feel so privileged to have been part of the AAMI Park Grand Final win over Sydney - will never happen again I don't think :(
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

walnuts - 28 Feb 2017 9:42 AM
Feed_The_Brox - 28 Feb 2017 9:20 AM

I feel so privileged to have been part of the AAMI Park Grand Final win over Sydney - will never happen again I don't think :(

not unless AAMI Park is expanded. so yeah, it was a memorable one off experience.

Brenton said in another thread that Allianz stadium is booked for NRL on the Friday of Semi Final weekend. that pretty much assures a home final at Etihad on the Friday unless we draw a team playing ACL.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Teen Melbourne Victory youngster Christian Theoharous a chance to make debut against Sydney FC

THIS is the Melbourne Victory teen sensation who could be plucked from the youth team for a dream senior Big Blue debut on Friday.

He turned 17 in December, but Christian Theoharous is set for a sensational inclusion on the eve of the finals series for the title-chasing club.

The winger this week signed a scholarship contract with Victory and looks set to be the beneficiary after the controversial axing of Fahid Ben Khalfallah.

At just 17, Christian Theoharous could make his senior debut for Melbourne Victory in Friday night’s Big Blue. Picture: George Salpigtidis
The Tunisian has been banished in recent weeks, with his contract understood to trigger a one-year extension if he plays a handful more games.

Theoharous trained strongly yesterday at Gosch’s Paddock and may travel to Sydney FC on Friday, where he would start in the bench as Victory tries to close the eight-point gap on the league leaders.

Either way, he is certain to make the Round 24 trip to Brisbane Roar in a fortnight which coincides with the FIFA international window.

Theoharous, who’s scored two goals in three NPL games this season including a stunner in last week’s 3-2 win over Moreland City, told the Victory website that he was aiming to play this season now that he’s been permanently promoted to the first-team.

“Hopefully we can finish the season strongly as a team and (for me) just train really hard, keep developing and get a few minutes under my belt,” Theoharous said.

Tunisian Fahid Ben Khalfallah has been used sparingly in recent weeks by Melbourne Victory. Picture: AAP
“It’s a great opportunity to play for the best club in Australia. I’m grateful and thank the staff, and especially Kevin Muscat, for giving me this opportunity.

“From the first time I stepped into the club everyone made me feel at home. They all encourage me and I’m developing really well.”

Theoharous, who was part of a Young Socceroos camp several weeks ago, has been at Victory since 2014 but has impressed in recent months.

He made his debut in the friendly against Atletico Madrid at Simonds Stadium last July and was an unused sub in the International Champions Cup clash with Juventus.

Though Theoharous has trained regularly with the first-team, Seb Pasquali is the only youth team product who’s debuted in the A-League this season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/victory/teen-melbourne-victory-youngster-christian-theoharous-a-chance-to-make-debut-against-sydney-fc/news-story/3940dbde57136911347af6c8e59a3f6f
Brenton1986
Brenton1986
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

top 5 teams - finals venue availability as things stand,

Sydney FC - Allianz Stadium:
Friday April 28th (unavailable due to NRL commitments)
Saturday April 29th (available)
Sunday April 30th (available)

Melbourne Victory - AAMI Park & Etihad Stadium:
Friday April 28th at Etihad Stadium (available)
Friday April 28th at AAMI Park (available)
Saturday April 29th at Etihad Stadium (unavailable due to AFL commitments)
Saturday April 29th at AAMI Park (available)
Sunday April 30th at Etihad Stadium (unavailable due to AFL commitments)
Sunday April 30th at AAMI Park (available)

Perth Glory - NIB Stadium:
Friday April 21st (available)
Saturday April 22nd (unavailable due to Super Rugby commitments)
Sunday April 23rd (available)

Brisbane Roar - Suncorp Stadium:
Saturday April 22nd (available)
Sunday April 23rd (unavailable due to Brisbane Roar's ACL commitments in Bangkok on Wednesday April 26th)

Melbourne City - AAMI Park:
Saturday April 22nd (available)
Sunday April 23rd (available)

AFC Champions League fixtures - semi final week:
Wednesday April 26th Urawa Red Diamonds v Western Sydney Wanderers at Saitama Stadium in Saitama
Wednesday April 26th Muang Thong United v Brisbane Roar at SCG Stadium in Nonthaburi

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Was disappointed hearing ian robson deflect about the dealings with fbk today on sen. I hope they are working it out cause this kind of stuff can fracture the playing group and with how boring the season has been stuff like this really makes supporters rethink memberships. 
I was actually more annoyed that we have 15 minutes of meaningful football talk a week on melbourne radio and they take most of it up talking about tea.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Skipper Carl Valeri signs 1-year contract extension with Melbourne Victory

MELBOURNE Victory captain Carl Valeri will play on next season, having committed to a one-year contract extension.

The dogged defensive midfielder came to the club on a three-year deal in 2014 and was instrumental in his role alongside then-captain Mark Milligan in the club’s march to that season’s championship.

Melbourne captain Carl Valeri has committed to another season in Victory colours. Picture: Getty Images

A rare inflammatory condition affecting his brain all-but wiped out his 2015-16 season, but the long-time Socceroo has returned to his best during this campaign.

A new deal has been in the works for some time, but the Herald Sun can reveal the paperwork was finalised yesterday.

The club will announce the 32-year-old’s extension this morning.

“It has been a privilege to represent Melbourne Victory and I’m thrilled to extend my contract for another season,” Valeri said.

“This is a great club with a proud history and it’s an honour to be captain of a playing group which is hungry for success.

“I look forward to leading the team through the rest of the current season and beyond.”

Valeri, in his second season as captain, has made 65 appearances in Victory colours.

Second-placed Victory plays fifth-placed Perth Glory at AAMI Park on Saturday night.

Originally published as Skipper Valeri signs Victory extension

walnuts
walnuts
Legend

Good news about Captain Carl. I wonder if there has been an adjustment of his salary? May allow the club to slide Bozanic under the cap more readily.
sanchez
sanchez
Pro

walnuts - 8 Mar 2017 8:34 AM
Good news about Captain Carl. I wonder if there has been an adjustment of his salary? May allow the club to slide Bozanic under the cap more readily.

I pray to little baby jesus. +1 = 1 prayer
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Or sliiddeeee him out the door lol

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 8 Mar 2017 9:03 AM

Or sliiddeeee him out the door lol

-PB

Can't see Ollie being at the club next season. If he is it would take a huge pay cut.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

azzaMVFC - 8 Mar 2017 9:21 AM

Can't see Ollie being at the club next season. If he is it would take a huge pay cut.

He needs to go. He doesnt offfer anything
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Wins it, knocks it around four opponents with four touches, and then finally one of Troisi's potshots from the edge of the area go in. Goal of the year contender for sure.

Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
sanchez
sanchez
Pro

So I missed last nights game but according to FB Ollie not even in the matchday squad. I am actually beginning to have some hope that he may not be about next season. 
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Need to throw everything at Troisi at the end of the season, can really see him getting a big money offer from the Middle East or China. Hopefully his experiences have taught him that this isn't good for his NT chances.

In any case, this is proof that the salary cap should be raised. If we want to compete in the ACL next season we can't have our best be plundered by rich Asian clubs when we can afford to pay them a bit more. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

433 - 12 Mar 2017 1:45 PM
Need to throw everything at Troisi at the end of the season, can really see him getting a big money offer from the Middle East or China. Hopefully his experiences have taught him that this isn't good for his NT chances.

In any case, this is proof that the salary cap should be raised. If we want to compete in the ACL next season we can't have our best be plundered by rich Asian clubs when we can afford to pay them a bit more. 

Troisi is the perfect case as to why there should be serious salary cap concessions for current Socceroos. Preferably, they shouldn't be counted at all.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

sanchez - 12 Mar 2017 12:48 PM

So I missed last nights game but according to FB Ollie not even in the matchday squad. I am actually beginning to have some hope that he may not be about next season. 

Boz to Japan is the rumour. Plz be the reason.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend

paladisious - 12 Mar 2017 7:46 PM
433 - 12 Mar 2017 1:45 PM

Troisi is the perfect case as to why there should be serious salary cap concessions for current Socceroos. Preferably, they shouldn't be counted at all.

Yeah, that would be good, except Troisi hasn't been a current Socceroo since 2015 lol - be WAYYYYY too hard to police based on their eligibility imo.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

walnuts - 12 Mar 2017 9:00 PM
paladisious - 12 Mar 2017 7:46 PM

Yeah, that would be good, except Troisi hasn't been a current Socceroo since 2015 lol - be WAYYYYY too hard to police based on their eligibility imo.

As in the case point is that he came to us as a journeyman and we made him the Socceroo that won our nation the Asian Cup. He fucked off to Asia and disappeared from the Socceroos, then came back to Victory and low and behold he's earned his cap back. If Victory were allowed to keep him in the first place he could have been a servant to the NT all along.

Another good example is Adelaide, they should be rightly rewarded for bringing McGree to the Socceroos.

I'm sure a reasonable set of terms could be drawn up to reward teams for being the incubator of national team talent they are currently punished for being by the current FFA regime.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-victorys-oliver-bozanic-looks-set-for-move-to-jleague-20170313-guww48.html

Melbourne Victory's marquee player Oliver Bozanic looks to be on the way out of AAMI Park, with talks ongoing for him to join a J-League club before the Japanese transfer window shuts at the end of March.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search