A-League salary cap punishes success, writes Mark Bosnich

A-League salary cap punishes success, writes Mark Bosnich

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Scrapping the cap doesn't mean scrapping the cap for Sydney and Melbourne teams only.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
The cap attemptd to make every team to act like Melbourne Victory or Sydney when regional teams would be far better off spending what is sustainable for them and receiving appropriate compensation for players desired by other clubs.
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

jlm8695 - 13 Jan 2017 10:31 PM
The cap attemptd to make every team to act like Melbourne Victory or Sydney when regional teams would be far better off spending what is sustainable for them and receiving appropriate compensation for players desired by other clubs.

We can have transfer fees but still keep the salary cap. 
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

ducky42 - 13 Jan 2017 10:10 PM
sub007 - 13 Jan 2017 8:10 PM

But the cap hinders good recruitment

It makes it harder but at least there aren't teams blindly throwing money at players and paying them way more than what there worth.
sub007
sub007
World Class

lukerobinho - 13 Jan 2017 10:28 PM
There's more to Australian football then just Melbourne and Sydney, that's why we have the cap 

This. If the cap is scrapped then Melbourne City will buy the title every year, Victory and Sydney would be playing for second and this would make the league incredibly boring as the owners of the other clubs simply do not have the money to compete. The crowds for the rest of the teams will probably drop off as they will probably have no chance of winning anything and the clubs will have even less money to spend if this happens, In short removing the cap will make the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

i can't see how a team assembling the best possible squad is a bad thing.

As for City buying the championship every year, they may well end up with the most expensive squad but what is happening this season? Not close to first. They may well win the gf but perhaps not.

In a league that has finals, it is hard to buy it each season because there are playoffs at the end.
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
sub007
sub007
World Class

scott21 - 14 Jan 2017 12:12 AM

As for City buying the championship every year, they may well end up with the most expensive squad but what is happening this season? Not close to first. They may well win the gf but perhaps not.

In a league that has finals, it is hard to buy it each season because there are playoffs at the end.

That's because all of the squad bar the marquees and Cahill are under the cap. When you have a whole squad without a cap no one will stand a chance. 
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

scott21 - 14 Jan 2017 12:12 AM

No it's not happening you can see tangible weaknesses in the city squad that wouldn't be there otherwise, guys like Rose Muscat etc. would be replaced by better players on higher wages 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

I still don't see the incentive to spend that big atm. There is sweet FA prize money from FFA and the winner of the ACL doesn't get that much. (With top 3 making ACL).

If they brought 5 visa players better than anyone in the league now I only think it would be good for football in Australia.

MC only get to spend as much as their owners want. It's not an open check book. Sure they may get to at least spend the same amount as the top clubs, but they will be looking to spend just enough to win the league. Not have a $20 million team.
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
sub007
sub007
World Class

scott21 - 14 Jan 2017 12:44 AM
I still don't see the incentive to spend that big atm. There is sweet FA prize money from FFA and the winner of the ACL doesn't get that much. (With top 3 making ACL).

If they brought 5 visa players better than anyone in the league now I only think it would be good for football in Australia.

MC only get to spend as much as their owners want. It's not an open check book. Sure they may get to at least spend the same amount as the top clubs, but they will be looking to spend just enough to win the league. Not have a $20 million team.
They would spend enough to win the ACL which would mean they would spend well over the $9 million or however much they are spending now. The more success they have, the more their brand will grow which is an incentive to spend more.

Edited
7 Years Ago by sub007
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I wasnt aware the only incentive to win trophies was prize money 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

It seems like if the cap was scrapped people assume MC will bring home the entire Socceroos squad, keep Bruno and bring in Kaka, Oscar and Tevez.

Not going to happen.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

And for the record if you wanted to win throphies at any price you wouldn't bring in people like Koren. So I don't assume you have access to a bottomless pit of money.
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
sub007
sub007
World Class

scott21 - 14 Jan 2017 12:58 AM
And for the record if you wanted to win throphies at any price you wouldn't bring in people like Koren. So I don't assume you have access to a bottomless pit of money.

That was two seasons ago and according to the City forum they are apparently trying to sign Iniesta and to sign him you are going to need a shit tonne of money.

Here is the link to the thread: http://forum.melbournefootball.com/topic/3885-iniesta-to-melbourne-city/
Edited
7 Years Ago by sub007
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

3 mill is nothing to sneeze at
MCMH
MCMH
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

If we had no cap we wouldn't have Rose, Muscat Retre etc etc etc 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

@boh

The exposure is worth more than the money for them. But I still think they work under a budget. Albeit a higher budget than other clubs in the league. But they won't match Eg China and won't be able to bring back Socceroos players from there.

On a side note was at a birthday party last night drinking Becherovka... It's better than Fernet Branca anyway
sub007
sub007
World Class

@Scott21

City would attempt to get Socceroos home. This would give them more exposure. Even if they can't the A-League would be a one team league with City winning every year. The A-League would be like the Scottish Premiership or Ligue 1 except City are a small club unlike PSG and Celtic.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Even if they bought Socceroos I don't see it as being a bad thing. It only strengthens the league.

I guess if they bought the best team every year then the other clubs would be forced to step up. Hardly a bad thing in my world as a football fan.
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Let us not forget the 4+1 rule
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

scott21 - 14 Jan 2017 1:57 AM
@bohThe exposure is worth more than the money for them. But I still think they work under a budget. Albeit a higher budget than other clubs in the league. But they won't match Eg China and won't be able to bring back Socceroos players from there.On a side note was at a birthday party last night drinking Becherovka... It's better than Fernet Branca anyway

:D

Consider yourself lucky. When I'm with family here that shit just gets dished out like it's the Velvet Revolution all over again. I hate it. But if I say no an uncle looks at me like "oh, he must want the slivervička instead". That stuff sends you half way to the moon without legs.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

And that their is a grand final. You can win the league by 20 points in Australia and still not be champion.

sub007
sub007
World Class

scott21 - 14 Jan 2017 2:32 AM
Even if they bought Socceroos I don't see it as being a bad thing. It only strengthens the league.

I guess if they bought the best team every year then the other clubs would be forced to step up. Hardly a bad thing in my world as a football fan.

The only way this could happen is if the other clubs spend money they don't have and look where that strategy got Leeds, Parma and Portsmouth.
sub007
sub007
World Class

bigpoppa - 14 Jan 2017 2:34 AM
Let us not forget the 4+1 rule

This would mean that Aussie players would be worth more. If we remove the cap then we are going have Aussie players that are way overpaid/overpriced and this could mean that European clubs may not want to sign Aussie players anymore.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

That already happens, just substitute China for Australia.
sub007
sub007
World Class

scott21 - 14 Jan 2017 2:38 AM
And that their is a grand final. You can win the league by 20 points in Australia and still not be champion.

Winning the Premiership is just as important as the Grand Final if not more important. Also in the 11 previous seasons in the A-League the team that finished first has won the Grand Final seven times while the other four seasons the team in second has won. This means you have to pretty much finish in the top two to win the Grand Final.
sub007
sub007
World Class

scott21 - 14 Jan 2017 2:47 AM
That already happens, just substitute China for Australia.

Just because Chinese players are way overpaid doesn't mean it should happen in Australia.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

No I mean because of the +1 Australian players worth are already inflated.
sub007
sub007
World Class

scott21 - 14 Jan 2017 2:53 AM
No I mean because of the +1 Australian players worth are already inflated.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Only the Aussies playing in China would have their value inflated at the moment
Edited
7 Years Ago by sub007
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

@ boh

Due to family circumstances I may have a lot more contact with Czechs in the future and shots as such.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search