BDP

Author
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
nodster - 10 May 2021 6:34 PM
Marki - 10 May 2021 2:27 PM

Of the halves mentioned, Cronk was the only one who always had a dominant pack leading the way, he was fortunate to have played with the Storm and Roosters, the super powers of the last decade. But notice when they are winning Dally M points it is on the back of the go forward, not behind a pack like the Dogs have.

Flanagan also played behind a dominant pack at the Roosters. Being punted by them was always a red flag and it seems they were right ATM.
All the fanfare of his signing slightly embarrassing for Barrett.

I've always thought two halves in the last 3 years were never given a proper go after playing on the back foot, namely Wakeham and Cogger.
The Dogs ruined Cogger who I reckon would have been better than Flanagan. He at least took the line on as does Wakeham.

Change the attack! 
We started to get on top in the 1st half yesterday and I reckon Terry Lamb would have been disgusted at the lack of players not following the ball waiting for a quick offload.
Just shovelling the ball sideways in slow motion is under 10's stuff and contributed to Allen's injury.
Allen and Cotric must be so peed off to have joined the Dogs and watch their Origin jumpers go up in smoke.
Waddell is not popular with our fans but at least he tries to straighten the attack, whether he has the ability to go with it is questionable, but Elliot just runs sideways.

I am waiting for 2022 and hope that we have a renaissance when the players get desperate for a contract for 2022.
Atoni and maybe Ogden and the Seamwhatever hopefully get a go. 

I agree on passing the ball sideways.
I am also wondering about the service from dummy half, at times that is poor.
We have Wardell playing as a linking lock,  first half he dropped a simple ball.
The player has to be suited to that role, we need to mould our style on the players we have, not copy others.
Have halves passing to halves with the fullback linking in.
Use Katoa or Topine as a passing lock.
The only problem with Wardell is dropped balls, his running is ok, defence a bit mixed, but he makes the effort.

hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

dogdoctor - 10 May 2021 9:26 PM
I don't remember ever being as nervous watching an individual player than watching DWZ. Yes he runs it up hard but he rarely gets through and he runs so hard with the ball in one hand so can quite easily lose the ball in the tackle. And so he does. Under the high ball he is suspect , and he has no soft natural pass in him. And doesn't a fullback these days have to sniff around the ruck  looking for a forward's offload ? zilch here too ! An ideal winger only!!
Poor old Nick Meaney has been chopped and changed both with Pay and Barrett- the guy's confidence must be fragile 

Meaney is the better option for fullback.
DWZ runs harder when we play him at fullback, his defence can be suspect at times, but wing is his spot. Play him and Hoppa on opposite sides.
Him hitting the ball up hard doesn't cut it against better sides. The odd dropped ball undoes a lot of his work,
We saw his effectiveness cleaning up kicks with the Bird no try.
The kick was average, Hoppa tried hard to stop Bird and still Bird should have scored.
DWZ and Hoppa are just too slow to play fullback.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

hounddog - 10 May 2021 9:33 PM
dogdoctor - 10 May 2021 9:26 PM

Meaney is the better option for fullback.
DWZ runs harder when we play him at fullback, his defence can be suspect at times, but wing is his spot. Play him and Hoppa om opposite sides.
Him hitting the ball up hard doesn't cut it against better sides. The odd dropped ball undoes a lot of his work,
We saw his effectiveness cleaning up kicks with the Bird no try.
The kick was average, Hoppa tried hard to stop Bird and still Bird should have scored.
DWZ and Hoppa are just too slow to play fullback.

Fair go here....
He wasnt slow on that play... he was shadowing the ball and hoping it would roll out. He just didnt judge how fast the Dragons player was attacking it.

He's not the first to make that mistake. Patten did it numerous times and even Tommy Turbo did it afew years back and Josh Reynolds pounced on it.

It's a fine line between winning that 7 tackle set, giving away a drop out and being embarrassed by letting in a try.
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Marki - 10 May 2021 9:41 PM

Fair go here....
He wasnt slow on that play... he was shadowing the ball and hoping it would roll out. He just didnt judge how fast the Dragons player was attacking it.

He's not the first to make that mistake. Patten did it numerous times and even Tommy Turbo did it afew years back and Josh Reynolds pounced on it.

It's a fine line between winning that 7 tackle set, giving away a drop out and being embarrassed by letting in a try.

Patten probably did it once but why let actuality stand in the way...it is a fine line but when it goes wrong it overwhelmsthe memory people have of someone giving the opposition an extra set via a dropout. 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Steveswr33333 - 10 May 2021 9:49 PM

Patten probably did it once but why let actuality stand in the way...it is a fine line but when it goes wrong it overwhelmsthe memory people have of someone giving the opposition an extra set via a dropout. 

I remember Patten doing that a lot. Not just once. I always thought the guy was over rated. He was a good talker in defence at the back and had speed but not much else. Playing behind our pack in those days anybody would look like a superstar. 

We have not had a decent forward pack for over five years now. We need to get back to that. We need more props. The talk is that Brandon Smith is all but signed but we need more middles. Desperately need more middles. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Fair go here....

Generally he is slow cleaning up kicks ..
I know he was hoping that it would go out, but he wasn't in a good position to see the opposition chaser.
I remember a few times last season he was slow getting to kicks.
A fullback needs to be fast, have good positional play,  and good instincts.
Everytime we play Hoppa or DWZ at fullback, the chance of conceding tries off kicks increases.
That whole play looked like it happened in slow motion.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Micko - 10 May 2021 10:26 PM

I remember Patten doing that a lot. Not just once. I always thought the guy was over rated. He was a good talker in defence at the back and had speed but not much else. Playing behind our pack in those days anybody would look like a superstar. 

We have not had a decent forward pack for over five years now. We need to get back to that. We need more props. The talk is that Brandon Smith is all but signed but we need more middles. Desperately need more middles. 
"Once" is too many and a lot would disagree re "over-rated"
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Steveswr33333 - 11 May 2021 9:21 AM
"Once" is too many and a lot would disagree re "over-rated"

I’m sure many Bulldogs fans would disagree on the over rated part which in a way proves my point 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

I agree that games are won in the forwards.

But to get a good handle on what positions we need to strengthen, we need to sort out the spine.
We need a long term 7,6,1,9 who do their job  well.
We need to replace Napa with a genuine starting prop.
Topine is an option for lock, but and additional option would be handy.
We also need 2nd rowers and who are good defenders and ball runners.
We need Okunbor or some one similar paired on the wing with Cotric.

It is going to sort itself out, becuase we will have lots of players we are letting go.

The replacement for Napa has to be good, the best we can find.

Hooker is another high priority, if the Cheese is coming, I assume he is starting hooker.
We want the bench hooker to have a good running game, a good pass and the ability to count numbers.
Dietz is one option, but a good utility would be handy.

We can't judge much from the results this year, except for identifying who to keep and who to let go.

Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

hounddog - 11 May 2021 10:10 AM

I agree that games are won in the forwards.

But to get a good handle on what positions we need to strengthen, we need to sort out the spine.
We need a long term 7,6,1,9 who do their job  well.
We need to replace Napa with a genuine starting prop.
Topine is an option for lock, but and additional option would be handy.
We also need 2nd rowers and who are good defenders and ball runners.
We need Okunbor or some one similar paired on the wing with Cotric.

It is going to sort itself out, becuase we will have lots of players we are letting go.

The replacement for Napa has to be good, the best we can find.

Hooker is another high priority, if the Cheese is coming, I assume he is starting hooker.
We want the bench hooker to have a good running game, a good pass and the ability to count numbers.
Dietz is one option, but a good utility would be handy.

We can't judge much from the results this year, except for identifying who to keep and who to let go.

Based on the way Bellamy spoke on NRL360 last night, the cheese wants to play in the hooker role.

Bellamy is resigned to losing him and said as much. But he also said they wont release him early until they get a suited player in return. Not necessarily a hooker but I think they might be keen on a 2nd rower or something.

Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

A little tough watching that Flanagan presser just then.... I hope he can really turn it around ASAP for his sake 

It doesn’t help when he’s surrounded by some absolute dead beats on the field, but I’m sure his Dad would be in his ear telling him he hasn’t been to standard after 9 rounds.  
Edited
3 Years Ago by Villi
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Villi - 11 May 2021 3:25 PM
A little tough watching that Flanagan presser just then.... I hope he can really turn it around ASAP for his sake 

It doesn’t help when he’s surrounded by some absolute dead beats on the field, but I’m sure his Dad would be in his ear telling him he hasn’t been to standard after 9 rounds.  

It is tough, no need for us to put him up for a presser.

Unfortunately in sport, performance counts, and there is no where to hide.

Halfback is a high profile position and everyone has an opinion.

It is a results driven business Baz is also under pressure and needs to make the right calls.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Wakeham partnering Averillo this week.
Right call IMO.
Flanagan can rebuild his confidence and get another crack down the track.
Team selection is right whether or not we can win or perform better is the question.
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Flannagan might get his confidence back. I really hope so for the kids sake because we did see glimpses of what he is capable of in round one. The thing is Barrett has now set a precedence and hooked Flanno and must be fair dinkum and start hooking those other frauds as soon as we can get replacements.
Edited
3 Years Ago by ODF
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Well germoulised Tyson Otto...

”I feel for Kyle, he’s not getting a lot of help from nine,” he said of Bulldogs No. 9 Jake Averillo”

Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

dman2018 - 11 May 2021 7:44 PM
Well germoulised Tyson Otto...

”I feel for Kyle, he’s not getting a lot of help from nine,” he said of Bulldogs No. 9 Jake Averillo”

Did you see melted plastic face Crawley go AWOL on the Dogs tonight on NRL360?

Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 11 May 2021 3:45 PM
Villi - 11 May 2021 3:25 PM

It is tough, no need for us to put him up for a presser.

Unfortunately in sport, performance counts, and there is no where to hide.

Halfback is a high profile position and everyone has an opinion.

It is a results driven business Baz is also under pressure and needs to make the right calls.

I don't get it....

Payten drops Tolmalolo who was playing decent footy but not good enough in the eyes of the coach and the guys on NRL360 defend him.

Barrett, after going against the grain and supporting his halfback for numerous underperformances, finally has enough and drops him, and is absolutely lambasted on the same show.

What 2 faced idiots. Poor form.

Well done to Barrett for having the balls to drop him. 

And Flano should toughen up because from what I saw he seems to have a sense of entitlement and his ego is damaged so he looks.

Toughen up and prove everyone wrong rather than have a public sook.

If we can offload him, I'm all for it.

I don't like that attitude
Marki
Marki
World Class

Villi - 11 May 2021 7:53 PM
dman2018 - 11 May 2021 7:44 PM

Did you see melted plastic face Crawley go AWOL on the Dogs tonight on NRL360?

He had my blood boiling Villi....

He obviously hadn't seen a Dogs game. Didnt see Flanagans performances. Didn't see our ends of 6 at his hands and didnt compare them to the ends of 6 from Avo, Katoa and Lewis.

And I'm certain he hasn't watched Barretts press conferences all year where he has stopped short of naming players (to protect them) but has singled out our poor last tackle options and not sustaining pressure from our ends of sets.

The prick should have praised Barrett for supporting him this long, instead he stuck the boot it.

I'm not sure who was responsible in interviewing Flanagan. I wouldn't be surprised if he offered to do it himself to express his dissatisfaction. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 11 May 2021 8:11 PM
hounddog - 11 May 2021 3:45 PM

I don't get it....

Payten drops Tolmalolo who was playing decent footy but not good enough in the eyes of the coach and the guys on NRL360 defend him.

Barrett, after going against the grain and supporting his halfback for numerous underperformances, finally has enough and drops him, and is absolutely lambasted on the same show.

What 2 faced idiots. Poor form.

Well done to Barrett for having the balls to drop him. 

And Flano should toughen up because from what I saw he seems to have a sense of entitlement and his ego is damaged so he looks.

Toughen up and prove everyone wrong rather than have a public sook.

If we can offload him, I'm all for it.

I don't like that attitude

He had to dropped, unfortunate but necessary.

He needs to add a running game,  improve his kicking especially 5th tackle and get smarter in attack.

Our other halves also ultimately have to aim up and meet the required standards.

If anything Baz showed good instincts, he looked mentally shot against the Dragons, he needed a circuit-breaker.

ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

I just watched the first part of that 360 show and FMD those germos the ar$e fvckers just can't help themselves and have to stick the knife into the Dogs at any and every opportunity. What a bunch of cocksmokers.
Edited
3 Years Ago by ODF
Villi
Villi
Pro

No doubt Crawley is mates with Pay.... hence the knife into the club’s handling of Flanagan as well as its performances year to date, but that d1ckhead Crawley is also mates with the Raiders coach, but chooses to say fark all about a team stacked with talent (unlike us) that’s on a losing streak of 5 games sitting at the wrong end of the ladder
ODF
ODF
Pro

I really do hope that Flannagan does bounce back because I do see a lot of potential there, he just has to channel it and learn when he can and can't make certain decisions.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

ODF - 11 May 2021 8:48 PM
I really do hope that Flannagan does bounce back because I do see a lot of potential there, he just has to channel it and learn when he can and can't make certain decisions.

I think his press conference provided a clue, he has mostly played in winning teams.
Playing for a struggling side like ours is tougher, but ultimately if he can learn and adapt he will be a much better player.

He is still young enough.

Steve Mortimer got dropped, most players are at some stage of their career.

Villi
Villi
Pro

ODF.... we all agree our forwards have been sh1t for most
of the season, but against the Dragons, we were all over the Dragons with field position, unfortunately Flanagan fluffed it numerous times & then both halves went MIA went we netted 0pts in 40mins. 

What’s left a bad taste with me is flops like Hopoate, Napa, Katoa continue to get selected when they’ve probably given us half a decent game each all season.... all 3 shouldn’t be anywhere near 1st grade & T Baz has yet to single them out for their horrendous form

Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 11 May 2021 8:54 PM

I think his press conference provided a clue, he has mostly played in winning teams.
Playing for a struggling side like ours is tougher, but ultimately if he can learn and adapt he will be a much better player.

He is still young enough.

Steve Mortimer got dropped, most players are at some stage of their career.

He really needs options around him where all he has to do is hit the right one on most ocassions.

But the kicking game is a huge Achilles heel and his lack of running also sends him to the bottom of the list. You just cant be that poor. Sorry.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Villi - 11 May 2021 8:57 PM

ODF.... we all agree our forwards have been sh1t for most
of the season, but against the Dragons, we were all over the Dragons with field position, unfortunately Flanagan fluffed it numerous times & then both halves went MIA went we netted 0pts in 40mins. 

What’s left a bad taste with me is flops like Hopoate, Napa, Katoa continue to get selected when they’ve probably given us half a decent game each all season.... all 3 shouldn’t be anywhere near 1st grade & T Baz has yet to single them out for their horrendous form

I can't believe Napa has edged out Odgen.
Ava, Odgen and  especially Atoni good against the Dragons.
zoz2015
zoz2015
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)

Marki - 11 May 2021 9:01 PM

He really needs options around him where all he has to do is hit the right one on most ocassions.

But the kicking game is a huge Achilles heel and his lack of running also sends him to the bottom of the list. You just cant be that poor. Sorry.

He definitely should take the line more you can see he is about too but then gets second thoughts ...
He has been targeted by the opposition and seems to me he pulls back .  Most of  the great halves have been cheap shot but comeback from it .. 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

He needs better players around him. Especially a hooker that threatens the line and controls the forwards. Everything has been thrown on Flannos shoulders and he just buckled under the pressure. 

It’s worrying that Barrett so far has signed players that have all underperformed. And put all the pressure on a young inexperienced halfback. I’m not writing off either yet but if there isn’t significant improvement to the roster over the next two years we will be back where we were when Des left. 

Marki
Marki
World Class

Micko - 11 May 2021 10:47 PM

He needs better players around him. Especially a hooker that threatens the line and controls the forwards. Everything has been thrown on Flannos shoulders and he just buckled under the pressure. 

It’s worrying that Barrett so far has signed players that have all underperformed. And put all the pressure on a young inexperienced halfback. I’m not writing off either yet but if there isn’t significant improvement to the roster over the next two years we will be back where we were when Des left. 

Better players would make him look good, but the end result of last tackle plays is all on him no matter what kind of players are around him.

It's not like our players arent running forward to contest bombs, pin the opposition in the ingoal or force a drop out. 

His kicks have failed to win us any sort of pressure let alone result in points. 

He is dropped for that reason and that alone.

I don't think anyone can blame him for not creating line breaks mid field. That's on the team and players around him to run into holes, drag defenders across and push up in attack.

If he can prove he has rectified his end of set kicking game, he'll get another chance. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 11 May 2021 10:47 PM

Ideally all of the spine players have a good passing game and a good running game.
They know when to pass and when to run.
The combine well and can sense and take opportunities.
They can build pressure via repeat sets.
In defence 
The hooker has to keep the middle tight.
The fullback has to organise the line and clean up kicks.
Halves need to organise their edge.

No one in our current spine gets a pass in defence, but 2nd rowers and centres are making it hard for halves.

In attack Averillo is the standout, no surpise a lot of the attack comes from him.

Hooker is a big issue, but even with a good hooker, Flano needs to tick all of the boxes.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search