Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Author
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Didn’t the cricket finish at 4am?
TheRealFootballSupporter
TheRealFootballSupporter
Hacker
Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)

Comparison is to first session of cricket which was 7.30-11
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Any numbers for 2nd session when the Aussies were batting? Was an absolute nightmare trying to get my local pub to put the matildas on.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

southmelb - 10 Jun 2019 8:05 PM
Any numbers for 2nd session when the Aussies were batting? Was an absolute nightmare trying to get my local pub to put the matildas on.

Same Australia over I think its so F...G frustration often nobody watching the NRL or Cricket and club staff still won't swap..
milan_7
milan_7
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

I was in a pub for the game last night and asked someone at the bar to put it on and they said no (the TV was off and is usually on). Still fighting an uphill battle.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Midfielder - 10 Jun 2019 11:23 PM
southmelb - 10 Jun 2019 8:05 PM

Same Australia over I think its so F...G frustration often nobody watching the NRL or Cricket and club staff still won't swap..

Didnt help that most of the staff were Indian and were openly celebrating when a wicket  fell. I explained to them the place was near empty and their was no need to have 10 tvs showing the same thing. They then told me they didnt know how to change the channel LOL. Finally they dumped me and my mate out back with the smallest tv.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

southmelb - 10 Jun 2019 11:52 PM
Midfielder - 10 Jun 2019 11:23 PM

Didnt help that most of the staff were Indian and were openly celebrating when a wicket  fell. I explained to them the place was near empty and their was no need to have 10 tvs showing the same thing. They then told me they didnt know how to change the channel LOL. Finally they dumped me and my mate out back with the smallest tv.

Why didn’t you leave? The place I was at switched it over and some people were getting behind the Matilda’s. This is happening with zero the advertising cricket gets 
TheRealFootballSupporter
TheRealFootballSupporter
Hacker
Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)

Matildas game peaked at 818,000 on SBS. Optus Sport probably won't release their numbers.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

TheRealFootballSupporter - 11 Jun 2019 10:55 AM
Matildas game peaked at 818,000 on SBS. Optus Sport probably won't release their numbers.

wow
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

TheRealFootballSupporter - 11 Jun 2019 10:55 AM

When Optus do release figures its in minutes and I have no idea how to convert minutes to viewers.

This is the only real Optus thing I have read that gives an indication of their viewers.

https://www.miragenews.com/optus-sport-hits-new-audience-high/

Optus Sport hits new audience high

UEFA Champions League final breaks previous Optus Sport viewership records
Optus Sports coverage of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League final in Madrid has been a hit, with record audience numbers watching Liverpool FC beat Tottenham Hotspur 2-0.

The final match broke Optus Sport live streaming records to deliver the highest ever viewership, increasing almost 20% versus the previous record.

The highly-anticipated Champions League final game eclipsed Optus Sports most recent audience high of the 2018-19 Premier League season, had
16.5 million* live streamed minutes**. 
More next post

Edited
5 Years Ago by Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

^^^^^
The UEFA Champions League final audience also helped Optus Sport achieve a massive 150% lift in unique weekly viewers year-on-year.
Were delighted with the massive growth of Optus Sport this year and with the amazing feedback weve had from viewers, Corin Dimopoulos, Optus Head of TV and Content, said.
Our broadcast has delivered non-stop thrills and drama and resonated strongly with the large number of football fans in Australia.Optus is proud of producing world-class sports coverage and our commitment to deliver must-watch entertainment has seen the volume of football games broadcast on Optus Sport almost triple in the last year
Optus holds the rights to Premier League, the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League, and in the last year has streamed over 1,500 hours of live football.
Our live European football coverage is all about taking viewers to places theyve never been before, Executive Producer Richard Bayliss said.Weve had Australian greats Mark Schwarzer, Ned Zelic and John Aloisi alongside world class reporters Kelly Somers and Jules Breach on the pitch, whilst also taking the audience behind the scenes and on the road across our social platforms.

That access, combined with studio coverage were extremely proud of, has given Australian audiences analysis and reaction from across the continent which enhances our live broadcast of every match.

Mel McLaughlin and I have been fortunate to sit alongside some brilliant pundits in the studio Michael Bridges, Didi Hamann, Thomas Sorensen, Paul Okon, Craig Moore and Luke Wilkshire just to name a few.Its a privilege to say theyre all part of the Optus Sport journey.Optus Sports exciting line-up of football continues this week with the finals of the UEFA Nations League followed by the FIFA Womens World Cup 2019, where viewers can follow the Matildas journey and enjoy access to every single match of the tournament live and on-demand.
All the Optus Sport action can be viewed on the big-screen via Fetch, Apple TV, Apple Airplay, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV or Xbox, or via tablet, mobile, desktop or laptop. Optus Sport is available as an optional extra on eligible Optus plans for no extra cost. Non-Optus customers, and Optus customers who are ineligible for a monthly subscription at no added cost, may subscribe to Optus Sport for $14.99 per month.*
Remember Champions league final 16.5 million
 Source: Internal Live Streaming statistics across all Optus Sport devices.** For other live streaming minutes for comparison for most streamed live sporting events 
2018-2019 via OzTAM Video Player Measurement: 
17 million Melbourne Cup 2019, 
13 million AFL 2018 Grand Final, 
10 million NFL Superbowl 2019,
 7 million Supercars Bathurst, 
7 million ODI Australia v India Match 1, 
6 million 2018 State of Origin Match 1,
 6 million 2018 NRL Grand Final,
 6 million 2019 Australian Open Mens Final.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

I have heard figures of 3.5-4 million watching on Italian TV.

Beaten by Eldar

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Do we divide the live streamed minutes by the duration of the program to get a base level of viewership? i.e. 16.5m / 120 minutes = 130-140k viewers? 
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

When did Mel sign with Optus?
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Burztur - 11 Jun 2019 4:00 PM
Do we divide the live streamed minutes by the duration of the program to get a base level of viewership? i.e. 16.5m / 120 minutes = 130-140k viewers? 

Makes sense, it means with the Melb Cup, going for 10 min (incl pre and post race chatter), means 1.7 mill viewers.

Pretty hard to believe the AFL are getting double the NRL.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

TheSelectiveFew is the best source of this detail... but many of the NPL games are broadcast in NSW & Vic by BarTV, they are geared for what ever level of production you need and are shown in many pubs in NSW I have been to that can't afford Fox.

They stream via a number of site...youtube, facebook ... TSF could add more but this is a potential streaming service for the second division..

http://www.bartvsports.com.au/

Some of their Football stuff..

http://www.bartvsports.com.au/video-sport-categories/football/

Edited
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Midfielder - 11 Jun 2019 10:27 PM
TheSelectiveFew is the best source of this detail... but many of the NPL games are broadcast in NSW & Vic by BarTV, they are geared for what ever level of production you need and are shown in many pubs in NSW I have been to that can't afford Fox.

They stream via a number of site...youtube, facebook ... TSF could add more but this is a potential streaming service for the second division..

http://www.bartvsports.com.au/

Some of their Football stuff..

http://www.bartvsports.com.au/video-sport-categories/football/

Before I get on to that Hume City v Oakleigh got 13k views on FB not sure the numbers on YouTube just yet.

BarTV are great, they offer a number of services, two of which are ACT and NNSW NPL live streams. WA NPL have just announced ALL their games will be live across FB and YT.

We are just waiting for SA.

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Iridium1010 - 11 Jun 2019 4:03 PM
When did Mel sign with Optus?

She's been there for a while I think, although I don't think it's an exclusive deal - she's still free to pursue other broadcast duties as well.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 11 Jun 2019 10:34 PM
Midfielder - 11 Jun 2019 10:27 PM

Before I get on to that Hume City v Oakleigh got 13k views on FB not sure the numbers on YouTube just yet.

BarTV are great, they offer a number of services, two of which are ACT and NNSW NPL live streams. WA NPL have just announced ALL their games will be live across FB and YT.

We are just waiting for SA.

I know I've personally been watching the Youtube streams throughout the weekend - it's great to have the ability to watch a solid competition.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

walnuts - 12 Jun 2019 9:29 AM
TheSelectFew - 11 Jun 2019 10:34 PM

I know I've personally been watching the Youtube streams throughout the weekend - it's great to have the ability to watch a solid competition.

Especially with the timezone blank, it has provided viewers with a great alternative to Bold and the Beautiful or Enzo and His Fruit at the Corner Shop.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

Seems its not only the Aussie girls out rating the cricket WC... in England its the same... from the Guardian ..

Women's World Cup match attracts bigger TV audience than cricket

England’s victory over Scotland attracted average audience of 4.6 million, compared with 550,000 for men’s cricket

Women’s football is now more popular than cricket – at least when it comes to TV ratings
.England’s victory over Scotland in the Women’s World Cup attracted an average audience of 4.6 million viewers to BBC One on Sunday evening.

This set a new record for a women’s football match and left the broadcaster hopeful that millions of viewers will continue to tune in as both national teams progress through the tournament

Full article ... https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/10/womens-world-cup-match-breaks-tv-audience-record

Edited
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Wow cricket is dying 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

That's great news for the Women's Game. Hopefully, this translates to more money in the game for them.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Football is on FTA (BBC) and Cricket on STV (Sky), so not a like for like comparison 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class

Still good news for them. Sky has about 1/3rd penetration into UK households, so you can use that for reference.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Waz - 17 Jun 2019 9:34 AM
Football is on FTA (BBC) and Cricket on STV (Sky), so not a like for like comparison 

Shhhh that doesn't fit agendas

TheRealFootballSupporter
TheRealFootballSupporter
Hacker

187k for Matildas vs Jamaica at 5am
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

MORE MATILDAS RATINGS

More good news when it comes to the Matilda's and Women's Football in this country!

The match between Australia and Jamaica achieved a National Average Audience of 187k on SBS.

It claimed the strongest Metro FTA Share (32.2%) & highest Regional FTA Share (26.6%) to date, based on all FIFA broadcasts since 08/06/19.

Fantastic ratings for the Matilda's and more evidence of the growth of Women's football and football in general in Australia.

Figures courtesy of TV Blackbox

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Earlier in the day coverage of the Women’s World Cup match between Australia and Norway started on 166,000. As the match went into overtime and then a penalty shootout the audience grew to 270,000.

not so good what happened? 
TheRealFootballSupporter
TheRealFootballSupporter
Hacker

Melbcityguy - 24 Jun 2019 1:28 PM
Earlier in the day coverage of the Women’s World Cup match between Australia and Norway started on 166,000. As the match went into overtime and then a penalty shootout the audience grew to 270,000.

not so good what happened? 

Those are Metro numbers, regionals haven’t been released yet. 270k metro for penalties is not bad at all
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search