A-League ratings down, but new streaming app likely to blame

A-League ratings down, but new streaming app likely to blame

Author
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
paulc - 31 Oct 2018 6:55 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 31 Oct 2018 2:49 PM

It does matter if it's the truth or lie, whether it's accurate or not or whether the data can be collated instantly or longer.

If FFA haven't got it from Telstra they haven't go it.

Was it 50c extra to get the SMS and Greg forgot to tick that box ?

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

phutbol - 31 Oct 2018 3:02 PM
bluebird - 31 Oct 2018 1:51 PM

Hard to believe they wouldn't know exactly what channel the boxes are on at any time. I'd say the 47k is a rounded number.

isn't as easy as that - plenty of people turn the tv off but leave the box on. Or switch the TV over to FTA and the box is running in the background. For all Fox would know, that prime time sport slot on Sundays for NRL is people watcing Dancing with the Stars with the box still on in the background. That's why you need proper ratings data.

sethman75
sethman75
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

I signed back up to FOX NOW for the new season which i run through my playstation or watch on my PC.

I'm sure there are many more that do this as well, not sure if we are being counted.

FOX do need to start a new service though. Optus have shown them how far behind they are and they need to get up to speed or lose customers.

Watching the games on demand is a prime example. If you don't catch it live, you can't watch it later until they broadcast it again, usually at 4am in the morning.

Unacceptable.
tomw
tomw
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Midfielder - 31 Oct 2018 2:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Cdn8gct.png

Somewhat typical response from our media so so so so so so lacking in any depth or understanding, it's IMO so sad as our media is very often so quick to criticise as if they are Gods with eternal wisdom ... it's also adds to a narrative of hopeless management ....   so we have a journalist now saying he understands how to measure streaming and all the teck heads, nerds, analysis's etc must be hopeless ... OR is it the journalist who is never used to being questioned about beyond stupid writing... 

Consider some of  streaming measurement difficulties ....

You can get someone who is watching live and decides they want to check a post the see has been sent so they go away for say 10 minutes and come back...  on TV the leaving does not show...

So how do you measure do you count a 5 second view as a view or does the watcher have to not turn off ... and then you have the delayed viewer who watches after the game and stop's a couple of times and re starts... when do you stop counting the next hour after the match, next day, next week, next month ... and how do you measure what is a viewer how long do they have to watch.... and all this is somewhat new especially to our Telco's and advertisers ...

Football's demographic is young and it seems our supporters would be more into streaming than pay TV or FTA TV...

As someone currently working on a streaming platform for a large media company, it's really not all that difficult. Telstra could easily give FFA numbers if they wanted to.

Even for broadcast, you get the ratings in first thing in the morning. This includes broadcast and digital. There are then updated figures released after a week, and then a month to account for people watching on demand, but these are not considered important. Note that these are for official ratings from OzTam. Unofficially you know immediately for streaming, because you have all the analytics data.

As for people switching to twitter or something for a bit and returning, it doesn't matter. You know it's the same viewer. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by tomw
tomw
tomw
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Eldar - 31 Oct 2018 4:06 PM
T1m - 31 Oct 2018 3:48 PM

When Bein was an add on for Fox and I went to get it switched off, I told the guy on the phone I was switching it off because I wasn't using it enough he gave me a list of all the things I had been watching and said I seem to be using it a fair bit.

Seriously? Them having data about how many people are watching each show is fine. Them having data on exactly what I watched less so. Them allowing any damn employee access to that data is a huge invasion of privacy.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

tomw - 1 Nov 2018 8:11 AM

As someone currently working on a streaming platform for a large media company, it's really not all that difficult. Telstra could easily give FFA numbers if they wanted to.

Even for broadcast, you get the ratings in first thing in the morning. This includes broadcast and digital. There are then updated figures released after a week, and then a month to account for people watching on demand, but these are not considered important. Note that these are for official ratings from OzTam. Unofficially you know immediately for streaming, because you have all the analytics data.

As for people switching to twitter or something for a bit and returning, it doesn't matter. You know it's the same viewer. 

Yeah. I find it a little BS that you can't get viewing numbers from a digital platform. They simply aren't getting the info or releasing it for whatever reason.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 31 Oct 2018 7:33 PM
paulc - 31 Oct 2018 6:55 PM

Was it 50c extra to get the SMS and Greg forgot to tick that box ?

Perhaps, just perhaps Telstra did  not want to release the info yet, if indeed it was available. Either way the world won't end if it comes out a week or two later.

In a resort somewhere

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
In the grand scheme it doesn't matter why people aren't watching the games on Foxtel, all that matters is that they aren't...  When the next negotiation kicks off, Fox won't be happy paying the same for fewer viewers than before.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Benjamin - 1 Nov 2018 10:28 AM
In the grand scheme it doesn't matter why people aren't watching the games on Foxtel, all that matters is that they aren't...  When the next negotiation kicks off, Fox won't be happy paying the same for fewer viewers than before.

That's why it's important to know why ratings dropped now and give time to tackle the problem.

I think the ratings will bounce up irrespective.

In a resort somewhere

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
paulc - 1 Nov 2018 10:31 AM

That's why it's important to know why ratings dropped now and give time to tackle the problem.

It seems that the current stance is they've all gone to streaming services - if that's the case it's unlikely they will come back to tv...  They may switch to an alternative streaming service if it's cheaper - but in order to be that cheap one would think the provider wouldn't be keen to pay top $.

The trend over the last couple of seasons has been down - the standard on the pitch doesn't seem that different, VAR has damaged the game - hopefully removing it/reducing its use will reverse that damage, the marquees aren't pulling audiences in.

I don't see the ratings improving any time soon - which means the next negotiation will be tough no matter who handles it. The 'new' FFA have been left with a big shit sandwich to chew their way through before things get better.  Championship & pro-rel won't save the game by building the A-League up, they will save it by providing an alternate, cost reduced, model - that will be less dependent on the tv deal - for the A-League owners to transition to.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Benjamin
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Maybe their production is the problem?

Same reason people left SBS in droves when listening to the same drones.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Sounds like Greg's about a month behind before he can even sit down and think of a new brain fart

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Midfielder - 31 Oct 2018 3:05 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 31 Oct 2018 2:56 PM

Buggalugs 2.0 - 31 Oct 2018 2:56 PM

I have said what I think some of the issues are.... have a chat to ""TheSelectFew"" he did an outstanding job over two years on NPL ratings... and he will tell you some of the difficulties in web ratings just teh difference between facebook and youtube numbers on the same game... 

I simply used the data that accumulated total all viewers who watched the broadcast for over 5 seconds. As for anyone watching the broadcast at the one time, there is a red. It is really up to the source to tally up what they deem to be relevant data.

These are pretty poor excuses. Let me put it to you this way. Would you ever go up to a company, ask for millions of dollars and when they ask for data you reply 'i dunno'. You'd get laughed at.

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

FFA and all the media outlets will have to get their heads around what is happening.
It's too easy to say viewers have dropped over 50% over two years and correlate that with a loss of 50% of people who used to watch football.
Clearly there is more going on than anyone knows at this time.
If crowd figures are hitting all time highs and viewers are down 50% ,then a lot more research needs to go into what is happening with viewers.No media outlet that wants to be successful in the future can afford to just assume the problem is the product(in this case football).

People are still watching games and paying up to attend games in as big a numbers as ever before.They just aren't watching it on tv like before.

Maybe the football people are still subscribed to FOXSPORTS but arent tuning in .If that's the case then the product is the problem.

However maybe they have dropped their subscription?
That means FOXSPORTS aren't selling HAL the right way..ie.... its too expensive .
People are no longer prepared to pay a premium to watch the HAL ,when they know they are paying for 90% content they dont need and can get from NETFLIX.

I am sure FOXSPORTS know more about this from their own data.
paulc
paulc
Legend

Benjamin - 1 Nov 2018 11:03 AM

It seems that the current stance is they've all gone to streaming services - if that's the case it's unlikely they will come back to tv...  They may switch to an alternative streaming service if it's cheaper - but in order to be that cheap one would think the provider wouldn't be keen to pay top $.

The trend over the last couple of seasons has been down - the standard on the pitch doesn't seem that different, VAR has damaged the game - hopefully removing it/reducing its use will reverse that damage, the marquees aren't pulling audiences in.

I don't see the ratings improving any time soon - which means the next negotiation will be tough no matter who handles it. The 'new' FFA have been left with a big shit sandwich to chew their way through before things get better.  Championship & pro-rel won't save the game by building the A-League up, they will save it by providing an alternate, cost reduced, model - that will be less dependent on the tv deal - for the A-League owners to transition to.

I think there's been a general downturn in interest across the board except attendances.

Just need to look how poor this forum is attended compared to a few years back. Interest is down for whatever reason.

I'm confident ratings will go up but we'll see and compare notes again in a year or so.

In a resort somewhere

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

FFA has set criteria for clubs to satisfy to compete in the A-League.  Although apparently higher than the FIFA and AFC minimum standards mandated in 2016 these higher standards, by FIFA Regulations, automatically become the standards used for Australian clubs to qualify for the ACL etc.  Will the reduced cost model established through the start up of the second division result in clubs being able to meet the established standards in Australia to qualify for the ACL?  If they don't is there a mechanism to reduce the minimum standards required for Australian clubs?  It would go against the purpose of the setting of minimum standards which is to improve the professionalism of clubs but for more sustainable football it might be worth taking the one off hit to minimum standards especially knowing that FIFA intends to ramp up the minimum standards over time so we wouldn't be locked into lower minimum standards long term.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

paulc - 1 Nov 2018 1:49 PM

I think there's been a general downturn in interest across the board except attendances.

Just need to look how poor this forum is attended compared to a few years back. Interest is down for whatever reason.

I'm confident ratings will go up but we'll see and compare notes again in a year or so.

traffic in the forum is a fraction of what it was about five years ago
once upon a time, you'd be onto the second page within a few hours to look up the latest posts, not anymore

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

bettega - 1 Nov 2018 2:34 PM
paulc - 1 Nov 2018 1:49 PM

traffic in the forum is a fraction of what it was about five years ago
once upon a time, you'd be onto the second page within a few hours to look up the latest posts, not anymore

Forums are dead, they were critical in the foundation years to coordinate fan support and give us a place to discuss our passion when the rest of the media ignored us but  frankly the worlds moved on. The next generation are going to move onto social media with #sokkahtwitter and Facebook groups where they know they can directly interact with journos and club driven content.

Unwanted changes to this site since the transition to "insidesport" didn't help and coincided badly with the feeling of staleness within the league. People are just bored, i don't blame that most of the regulars have fucked off as they are probably also sick of discussing the same old shit for the last 10 years. 

Viennese Vuck

Edited
6 Years Ago by melbourne_terrace
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 1 Nov 2018 4:02 PM

Forums are dead, they were critical in the foundation years to coordinate fan support and give us a place to discuss our passion when the rest of the media ignored us but  frankly the worlds moved on. The next generation are going to move onto social media with #sokkahtwitter and Facebook groups where they know they can directly interact with journos and club driven content.

Unwanted changes to this site since the transition to "insidesport" didn't help and coincided badly with the feeling of staleness within the league. People are just bored, i don't blame that most of the regulars have fucked off as they are probably also sick of discussing the same old shit for the last 10 years. 

This can't be understated.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

I like this forum i think twitter is really overrated can't get into it 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 1 Nov 2018 4:39 PM
I like this forum i think twitter is really overrated can't get into it 

yeh, take it or leave it

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

bettega - 1 Nov 2018 4:44 PM
Melbcityguy - 1 Nov 2018 4:39 PM

yeh, take it or leave it

most of you blokes have a very high knowledge on what's going on learnt a fair bit here 
bettega
bettega
World Class

Melbcityguy - 1 Nov 2018 4:46 PM
bettega - 1 Nov 2018 4:44 PM

most of you blokes have a very high knowledge on what's going on learnt a fair bit here 

no doubt, I still come before first thing, even if traffic is down

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

P&R will fix it

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

this pretty much sums up the feeling most people I know have about the HAL, hence the ratings drops.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

AJF - 1 Nov 2018 8:59 PM

this pretty much sums up the feeling most people I know have about the HAL, hence the ratings drops.

Are all the people you know AFL fans who never had an interest in the "HAL" in the first place, like you?

Beaten by Eldar

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Eldar - 1 Nov 2018 9:14 PM
AJF - 1 Nov 2018 8:59 PM

Are all the people you know AFL fans who never had an interest in the "HAL" in the first place, like you?

no, all are football fans and actively involved in local & NPL clubs, but unfortunately finding the repetitiveness and recycling of the HAL less interesting by the day.

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
AJF - 1 Nov 2018 9:56 PM
Eldar - 1 Nov 2018 9:14 PM

no, all are football fans and actively involved in local & NPL clubs, but unfortunately finding the repetitiveness and recycling of the HAL less interesting by the day.

Wow you know 5 people or less that don't like the A-League? Mass hysteria!!!

Wellington Phoenix FC

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

tomw - 1 Nov 2018 8:11 AM

it seems clear that the numbers are shit and they are sitting on it until this news cools off a bit

AJF
AJF
Pro

nomates - 1 Nov 2018 11:51 PM
AJF - 1 Nov 2018 9:56 PM

Wow you know 5 people or less that don't like the A-League? Mass hysteria!!!

50% drop in Foxtel viewers over 2 years, FTA numbers have collapsed so low they are no longer reported, and that's the best reply you have.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search