Western United Thread

Western United Thread

Author
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
thewitness - 13 Dec 2018 2:11 PM
RedKat - 13 Dec 2018 1:40 PM

Jimmy Jeggo is a western suburbs boy I believe. JMac is from Sunbury, I'm sure WMG will claim that. Stefan Nigro is from Ballarat. 

Sunbury is a bit of a stretch

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

bettega - 13 Dec 2018 2:18 PM
thewitness - 13 Dec 2018 2:11 PM

Sunbury is a bit of a stretch

If they're claiming fucking Geelong then I don't think anything is a stretch for them
JayEss
JayEss
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

I've been pretty excited about the expansion announcement, and am glad it's finally happening but I feel a bit confused by this decision and am not as thrilled about it as i thought I would be. The stadium can't come soon enough.

I don't understand the Melbourne landscape enough to know whether they'll be successful off the pitch in their formative years, but there's seemingly a lot of negativity about it on this forum which doesn't give me much confidence. I wish them every success though, football in this nation needs it.

Also inb4, I look forward to watching them play in round 2 after they inevitably have the bye in round 1.

Edited
6 Years Ago by JayEss
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

JayEss - 13 Dec 2018 2:24 PM
I've been pretty excited about the expansion announcement, and am glad it's finally happening but I feel a bit confused by this decision and am not as thrilled about it as i thought I would be. The stadium can't come soon enough.

I don't understand the Melbourne landscape enough to know whether they'll be successful off the pitch in their formative years, but there's seemingly a lot of negativity about it on this forum which doesn't give me much confidence. I wish them every success though, football in this nation needs it.

Also inb4, I look forward to watching them play in round 2 after they inevitably have the bye in round 1.

What city are you from?  We'll try and come up with something comparable so that you can see what a strange selection it is (WMG).

nico23
nico23
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)Hardcore Fan (178 reputation)

Being from the outer east of melbourne I really don't know a lot about the west. People in the west/geelong, can you tell us, will you be going to their games? If so why, if not why not? Do you think they can actually draw 10k regularly?

The biggest problem is that they wont be playing in Tarneit for 3 years and 9 months.  That's a long time. There will be another couple of expansion teams by then (well who knows). But this club is playing in a soulless AFL stadium outside Melbourne for the forseeable future, just doesn't seem like a good idea
bettega
bettega
World Class

nico23 - 13 Dec 2018 2:29 PM
Being from the outer east of melbourne I really don't know a lot about the west. People in the west/geelong, can you tell us, will you be going to their games? If so why, if not why not? Do you think they can actually draw 10k regularly?

The biggest problem is that they wont be playing in Tarneit for 3 years and 9 months.  That's a long time. There will be another couple of expansion teams by then (well who knows). But this club is playing in a soulless AFL stadium outside Melbourne for the forseeable future, just doesn't seem like a good idea

they might get 10k for a derby against city, a bit more for a derby against Victory, but thereafter, I doubt they would regularly get more than 5k  (unless existing Victory fans are wanting to watch more football)

Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

bettega - 13 Dec 2018 2:34 PM

they might get 10k for a derby against city, a bit more for a derby against Victory, but thereafter, I doubt they would regularly get more than 5k  (unless existing Victory fans are wanting to watch more football)

I can see them drawing crowds between 5k to 10k when in their new stadium, which will look good in a 15 k stadium. The derbies will be sellouts against Victory at home and probably close to sellouts against City. How big do we expect crowds to be for new teams? Honestly 10k in a 15k stadium is better than 20k in a 40k stadium.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Geelong resident here - seeing as they want to whore themselves as West Melbourne, I won't be touching them with a ten foot barge pole. I toyed with the idea of jumping for a 'pure' Geelong bid if they ticked the right boxes, but not for this abortion. If I'm having to go to Melbourne to watch football, I might as well stay with the Vuck.
thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I'm from the West, I might go to one or two games a year out of interest, once they get to Tarneit (not Geelong), just like I occasionally go to City games if they are playing against someone interesting and I don't have anything better to do.
In the first 7-10 years they will struggle to draw 5K against the non-Victorian teams. After 10 years there might be enough growth and kids new to the A-League to push that up a little higher.
It's likely WMG will be a disaster of Gold Coast proportions crowd/fan wise.    
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

thewitness - 13 Dec 2018 2:43 PM

I'm from the West, I might go to one or two games a year out of interest, once they get to Tarneit (not Geelong), just like I occasionally go to City games if they are playing against someone interesting and I don't have anything better to do.
In the first 7-10 years they will struggle to draw 5K against the non-Victorian teams. After 10 years there might be enough growth and kids new to the A-League to push that up a little higher.
It's likely WMG will be a disaster of Gold Coast proportions crowd/fan wise.    

Was just thinking the same thing.
Besides derbies they will get smaller attendances than CCM.
soccer_fan
soccer_fan
Hacker
Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)

bettega - 13 Dec 2018 2:26 PM
JayEss - 13 Dec 2018 2:24 PM

What city are you from?  We'll try and come up with something comparable so that you can see what a strange selection it is (WMG).

Lots of salty tears from you. Wonder why?
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

soccer_fan - 13 Dec 2018 3:04 PM

Because WMG is an abortion to begin with?
bettega
bettega
World Class

not just me mate, 9 out of 10 who know this area think it's a strange choice, and likely to end in disaster

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I would’ve thought the dandy, cranbourne etc bid was more exciting and much more potential for success considering the population growth
soccer_fan
soccer_fan
Hacker
Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)Hacker (341 reputation)

bettega - 13 Dec 2018 3:27 PM

not just me mate, 9 out of 10 who know this area think it's a strange choice, and likely to end in disaster

Well hopefully you're wrong,  for the sake of the game. Can ill afford more disasters like Fury, gold coast and Auckland ect
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

tsf - 13 Dec 2018 3:35 PM
I would’ve thought the dandy, cranbourne etc bid was more exciting and much more potential for success considering the population growth

It is but they needed private funding to get it done. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

West Melbourne formely known as Carlton FC.
Solano
Solano
Fan
Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)

Tarneit resident here and Victory supporter, Will only go there when they play us, and I've told my family members they are dead to me if they even think about jumping ship :-). Told them the same thing when Heart/City came in,

The area itself has grown a lot, but to warrant an A-league team is "head scratching" and still getting my head around the decision.

From a football perspective, there a number of start up football teams in the area (Williams Landing, Tarneit and Wydhamvale that I know of), plus the established Werribee City (NPL), Hoppers Crossing (State 2), Truganina (State 4) and neighbouring Point Cook (State 3), Westpoint (State 5) and Laverton Park (State 4) and I know some of these clubs have already reached out to WMG to "partner" up.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Solano
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

I've found two fans so far.

As opposed to Canberra, Wollongong, South Melbourne, etc, who would have packed stands in football stadiums from day one.
Jeff W
Jeff W
Hacker
Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)

walnuts - 13 Dec 2018 1:54 PM
Feed_The_Brox - 13 Dec 2018 1:50 PM
[/quot

Jesus Christ, how much money are guys trying to fleece the State Government for!?! Now you're relying on them to not only upgrade the infrastructure around the 'proposed' stadium site, you require them to electrify AND quadruple the Geelong line to get fans to your games!?

There already exists government plans to build a Metro line to Wyndham Vale whether this bid had got up or not. The government wants to cut down Geelong train travel times by allowing V/Line trains to run express from Wyndham Vale to Sunshine. Part of this plan is to build new Metro stations at Davis Rd and Sayers Rd. It would make all the difference to getting to this new 15k stadium especially for the youth market.

The question is when and if this Metro line will be built (?). Past history in Victoria has seen sporting comps building stadium out in the sticks get burnt by broken state government promises. The then VFL built Waverley Park out in the middle of nowhere in Melbourne's growing south-east because the 1960s Bolte state government promised them a new railway out to Mulgrave and Rowville. We're still waiting 50 years later for this railway line while the AFL got fed up waiting in the 1990s and sold Waverley Park off to fund Docklands back in the more PT accessible CBD.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

People in the west/geelong, can you tell us, will you be going to their games? If so why, if not why not? 

These days this forum is occupied by about 19 people representing a few die-hards and moping snipers.

I doubt anyone here is going to get behind any new team or have anything positive to say in general. 

More people here are waiting for the league to collapse so they can finally say 'I told you so' to the only 7 people left that agreed with them anyway than are actually following a team.
tsf
tsf
Legend

Was south willing to relocate? As in play out of geelong or the like?

I can’t see how this bid can get enough interest. Time will tell though I guess.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Im a werribee boy. I know exactly  where the stadium  is gonna be. Also know the road  leading to it is a two laner and that developers have their greedy hands on the land . 
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 13 Dec 2018 4:34 PM
Im a werribee boy. I know exactly  where the stadium  is gonna be. Also know the road  leading to it is a two laner and that developers have their greedy hands on the land . 

Just out of curiosity, are you going to support this team or stick with the current club you support?
bettega
bettega
World Class

tsf - 13 Dec 2018 4:19 PM
Was south willing to relocate? As in play out of geelong or the like? I can’t see how this bid can get enough interest. Time will tell though I guess.

South play out of Geelong?  Seriously?

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

sub007 - 13 Dec 2018 4:36 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 13 Dec 2018 4:34 PM

Just out of curiosity, are you going to support this team or stick with the current club you support?

Never. Im happy  that this bid got in . But i bleed blue.. Also this bid can help get the heaps of football followers in the area who dont follow the hal. Hell a lot of indian families watch football but dont follow hal . I see my daughters friends at school wearing man united . Liverpool . Chelsea . City . Et al . This should change that , that and the wmg are going to engage  the local community 
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Honestly this WMG licence thing is fucking ludicrous.

Their only saving grace will be if they throw the cash at imports for 4 years... IIRC they were going after Scott Brown??? It's going to take a lot more than a Scottish Broony to make up for the bullshit that will inevitable fall WMG's way.

Team 11 looked the more sustainable and football focused bid in Victoria, but would've preferred South over them as well. This is a shambles. Complete and utter shambles. 

Nothing has changed... 

Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro

From Geelong. Will not stop supporting Victory, but will definitely have a soft spot for West Melbourne. I will attend the occasional game while they are in Geelong. Obviously looking forward to the new derbies.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Why not call themselves South Melbourne ?

Related image

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 13 Dec 2018 4:46 PM
sub007 - 13 Dec 2018 4:36 PM

Never. Im happy  that this bid got in . But i bleed blue.. Also this bid can help get the heaps of football followers in the area who dont follow the hal. Hell a lot of indian families watch football but dont follow hal . I see my daughters friends at school wearing man united . Liverpool . Chelsea . City . Et al . This should change that , that and the wmg are going to engage  the local community 

I genuinely hope this bid will be successful and attract new fans but most people I've seen on social media are in the same boat as you. They're Victory fans who are happy the bid got up but won't actually support the club. 

I hope I'm wrong and hope you're right but I can't see the club drawing many new fans.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search