Western United Thread

Western United Thread

Author
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
paulc - 15 Dec 2018 9:35 AM
I see the whinging about all the infrastructure taking 5 - 10 years ( no one really knows at this point) however so what. Australia’s first football owned and purpose built stadium is a milestone. It’s the future with long term planning for once and should be commended. I wish West Melbourne well.

Check the blueprint

Foundations will probably be just about right for a Westfield

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 16 Dec 2018 12:00 PM
paulc - 15 Dec 2018 9:35 AM

Check the blueprint

Foundations will probably be just about right for a Westfield

before, during or after the stadium?  (or in place of it?)

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

sanchez - 15 Dec 2018 5:13 PM
paladisious - 15 Dec 2018 1:06 PM

Must have been the sticker campaign

Ah ! The stickers

I had 200 "WE ARE FOOTBALL" when GC was taken out the back and knocked on the head.

Straight to the bin.

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

bettega - 16 Dec 2018 12:05 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 16 Dec 2018 12:00 PM

before, during or after the stadium?  (or in place of it?)

Probably after 1st season at Kardashian

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 14 Dec 2018 6:21 PM
Hustled? I'm betting the afl will have a little word to Wyndham city council  and voila itll be another  footy oval. I live in Wyndham and the afl have massive pull with our council . Afl heavy weights come down to werribee and meet up with Joanne Ryan . But in saying that she is very supportive  of the wmg

not while Kate Roffey works for the Wyndham council.

But you don't get it, don't you? This was done so the AFL can't get their dirty fingers all over the project. Which is what almost certainly would have happened had the funding for the Dandenong Stadium got the go ahead. in fact, it is quite plausible to suggest that the AFL may have used their influence with the government to pressure them into not providing the funding for Dandenong Stadium. 

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 17 Dec 2018 10:03 AM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 14 Dec 2018 6:21 PM

not while Kate Roffey works for the Wyndham council.

But you don't get it, don't you? This was done so the AFL can't get their dirty fingers all over the project. Which is what almost certainly would have happened had the funding for the Dandenong Stadium got the go ahead. in fact, it is quite plausible to suggest that the AFL may have used their influence with the government to pressure them into not providing the funding for Dandenong Stadium. 

I'm trying to decipher your post
So the AFL were going to get their hands on this gold mine called Tarneit, and at the same time, they lobbied hard so that Dandenong didn't get up, but in doing so, they lost out on the gold mine called Tarneit??

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

bettega - 17 Dec 2018 10:32 AM
Feed_The_Brox - 17 Dec 2018 10:03 AM

So the AFL were going to get their hands on this gold mine called Tarneit, and at the same time, they lobbied hard so that Dandenong didn't get up, but in doing so, they lost out on the gold mine called Tarneit??

Think you find the AFL found a gold mine in a little country called China, invented professional sport there. Some of you guys need to move out of Melbourne to see how small the AFL really is.

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

i am saying that because the government in Victoria (and in most other states as well as federally) are hostile towards football, the only way to get something done your way, and without the interference of others (like the AFL or the government) is to build it without any government funding. 

And there is little doubt in my mind that the AFL would have had some influence had the government decided to fund Dandenong stadium, or alternately, they did have some influence in the government choosing not fund it. call me a cynic or conspiracy theorist if you wish. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 17 Dec 2018 10:54 AM

i am saying that because the government in Victoria (and in most other states as well as federally) are hostile towards football, the only way to get something done your way, and without the interference of others (like the AFL or the government) is to build it without any government funding. 

And there is little doubt in my mind that the AFL would have had some influence had the government decided to fund Dandenong stadium, or alternately, they did have some influence in the government choosing not fund it. call me a cynic or conspiracy theorist if you wish. 

Just fucking turn coat already. Change your name too.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
This might not be popular, but I wonder if Western Melbourne will take a game or two to Morsehead Park in Ballarat during their time in Geelong? Some preseason or FFA Cup matches for sure.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

paladisious - 17 Dec 2018 11:14 AM
This might not be popular, but I wonder if Western Melbourne will take a game or two to Morsehead Park in Ballarat during their time in Geelong? Some preseason or FFA Cup matches for sure.

It makes more sense than Geelong
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

FFA cup is unlikely (at least at the moment) as Ballarat City FC aren't very good (finished 2nd last in the NPL2). A friendly match or two wouldn't be out of the question though. If they played any HAL rounds in Ballarat they would certainly be played at Eureka Stadium.

Edited
6 Years Ago by someguyjc
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Playing a couple of matches at Ballarat for the first couple of seasons isn’t too bad of a move, given it’s apparently a catchment zone they want to appeal to (how successful that will be is another question).

Could also depend how good the deal is to use Kardinia Park will be. Lots of hard work ahead.

They seem to be saying all the right things, but at times Steve Horvat has sounded a bit too scripted. Nearly every interview seems to use the same lines, but I guess there’s very little they can confirm yet.

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Firstly comes down to how much WMG can afford to lose year after on the P&L.
My guess after stumping up $20Mill start up costs of $5Mill and annual losses of the HAL average $2.5Million pa they need minimum $32.5Million to see it through to their new stadium.
Then it will be all about how many theatre goers they can get there.

I can see a lot of fun times ahead.

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Arthur - 17 Dec 2018 12:10 PM
My guess after stumping up $20Mill start up costs of $5Mill and annual losses of the HAL average $2.5Million pa they need minimum $32.5Million to see it through to their new stadium.

Image result for rubbing hands animated gif

bettega
bettega
World Class

Arthur - 17 Dec 2018 12:10 PM

will give a whole new meaning to deep pockets

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

its my understanding that this is definitely an option, especially in January when Kardinia Park will probably be unavailable due to the BBL. Morsehead Park is quite a nice little upgraded Football facility. 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 17 Dec 2018 1:17 PM

its my understanding that this is definitely an option, especially in January when Kardinia Park will probably be unavailable due to the BBL. Morsehead Park is quite a nice little upgraded Football facility. 

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=417

Throw in some temp stands and it seems very workable.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Burztur - 17 Dec 2018 1:43 PM
Feed_The_Brox - 17 Dec 2018 1:17 PM

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=417

Throw in some temp stands and it seems very workable.

Pity they never finished the whole design:

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Amazes me that a new club will need to resort to playing in Ballarat in front of 1500 people. Should have just been given a licence, guarantee to come into the comp in 3 years when the stadium is ready. Canberra should be the ones playing next season, or even South Melb. 
OldCodger
OldCodger
Hacker
Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)

azzaMVFC - 17 Dec 2018 4:50 PM
Amazes me that a new club will need to resort to playing in Ballarat in front of 1500 people. Should have just been given a licence, guarantee to come into the comp in 3 years when the stadium is ready. Canberra should be the ones playing next season, or even South Melb. 

Yeah, the 3-year limbo is baffling when other options would be ready to go. I'd be very interested to hear what the FFA's justification is. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

OldCodger - 17 Dec 2018 4:54 PM

Yeah, the 3-year limbo is baffling when other options would be ready to go. I'd be very interested to hear what the FFA's justification is. 

$$$
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Amazes me that a new club will need to resort to playing in Ballarat in front of 1500 people. 

Who says they do ?

FFA say they won't.  I've seen nothing to the contrary

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Yep it's really arse about. No sensible person is doubting the value that stadium ownership brings to the bid, but firing the gun before that bullet is loaded makes the whole thing go off half-cocked. Much better to show some imagination, courage and leadership and plan at least a few years ahead and award them a licence as a 13/14th or 15/16th club once they're ready rather than saying "right, in you go" with no home a few months from kickoff. Compared to Japan's 100 year plan that's nothing.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Buggalugs 2.0 - 17 Dec 2018 4:57 PM

Who says they do ?

FFA say they won't.  I've seen nothing to the contrary

I can't believe that you of all people are basing an argument on the idea that the FFA wouldn't contradict themselves.
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/gallop-reveals-why-winning-expansion-bids-were-successful

FFA CEO David Gallop said the high-quality facilities and growth corridors that bids from both Western Melbourne Group and Macarthur South West Sydney represented were the key factors in them winning licences into the Hyundai A-League.

FFA announced on Thursday that Western Melbourne Group would enter the Hyundai A-League in the 2019/20 season, with Macarthur South West Sydney to follow the season after.

Western Melbourne Group’s promise to build a privately funded 15,000-seat stadium - joined by a training and administration complex - was a key plank of their bid.

And Gallop said the prospect excited him on what he described as a “great news day for Australian football and the A-League”.

“This is going to set the A-League up for long-term sustainability in these locations but importantly, as well, the decisions have taken us to a point where we can ensure that the new clubs are in high-quality facilities from day one,” Gallop said.

“Obviously with West Melbourne, there’s an opportunity to do something quite unique and something that we’ve seen successful in football globally, which is to have a purpose-built football stadium.

“West Melbourne is a growth corridor and the prospect of having our own stadium built out there is exciting indeed.”

Western Melbourne Group will play out of Geelong’s Kardinia Park for their first two Hyundai A-League seasons as their purpose-built stadium in Tarneit - 25km west of Melbourne and 50km north-east of Geelong - is built.

Gallop said that during that period the team would still “be in a facility that will present the game well and have a playing surface that is comfortable for our players.”

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Will the game ever reach a point where we never have to hear the words “growth corridor” spoken again?
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

paladisious - 17 Dec 2018 9:07 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 17 Dec 2018 4:57 PM

I can't believe that you of all people are basing an argument on the idea that the FFA wouldn't contradict themselves.

True,

but has this what it has come to ?

We are now assuming that the FFA CEO is lying about everything and we need to debate the opposite

bettega
bettega
World Class

southmelb - 17 Dec 2018 9:23 PM
Will the game ever reach a point where we never have to hear the words “growth corridor” spoken again?

using an expression like "growth corridor" allows them to avoid what they really want to say:  we don't want no effniks!!

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

You'd hope that part of this development includes a couple of bars in the area because it looks pretty bleak getting a drink anywhere else in the area and having a couple of good bars is important to a good match day culture. Have a feeling though that even if they do, it'll end up being like those soul sucking venues around Homebush.

Viennese Vuck

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search